Prestige Update: Numbers and Expectations

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Zinbik, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Little Sister New Player

I'm still not understanding the "soft cap" or whatever it's called. Making things worth less prestige once we reach a certain amount just seems so bizarre and unnecessary.

EDIT: I read Zinbik's new post. I understand it now, but still find it silly.
    • Like x 9
  2. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

Based on my calculations, if a person ran every current T6 instance, minus raids, once a week and ONLY once they would earn 1325 prestige. That is just on instances. That is not counting ANY prestige from bases or Tribute.

And that is just once a week. If you run those every day (2 solos, 2 Duos, and 3 alerts) You are looking at probably a little over 3 and a half hours a day and 9275 prestige a week from just instances. Though admittedly that is, in my opinion expecting a little much from the average player. But Doubling to 2650 does not sound unreasonable.

Especially since this all assumes you are running no raids (and since we are talking about small leagues here mostly, I am assuming that getting into raids might be difficult, which is why I left it out) And ONLY running T6. Obviously this is going to be different depending on where the player is (if they are not T6 they may have more or less content available at level. However if you throw in a few lower content instances you can easily get even more prestige
    • Like x 1
  3. QuagmirePrime Well-Known Player

Thank you for the explanation. I feel the issue that many players have is the fact that the tribute system was cut so drastically all at once, not giving smaller leagues a chance to capture equivalent prestige for gear purchased compared to what large leagues have already done.

The prestige value of MoF have been cut by 90% and the value of MoT have been cut by 95%. The small guys just wanted a chance to use a donation box at those original levels or even half that.
    • Like x 6
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

It's also worth pointing out jumping on an alt even briefly can make a big difference again.
    • Like x 9
  5. DCFanatical Dedicated Player

True, But I am going to assume that the average player has limited time (hence why 3 and half hours might be unreasonable) So might have to pick and choose which, if any alt they play. As such maximizing what and how you play a single character to gain the relevant Prestige numbers.
  6. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

First of all I appreciate all the work put into explaining us how you reason in order to make this new adjustments. And i understand now your decisions but i still would like to say a few things i disagree.

I don't apreciate it's this proficencies attitude.
    You always said you wanted some balance between small leagues and big leagues, but having small leagues only with 2 proficencies it's not fair, they won't even have time to unlock other things, or they'll go really slow, i know it's small leagues choice, but it's still just going to make recruiting more difficult for small leagues, because people always want more and more, i know it's not the case, and i'm glad my league is not like that but still i talk for many people not just for myself.
    The proficiencies it's making people more elitist, which it was something you were supposed to be fighting against.

Either you take out proficencies and give something different for leagues to look and work foward . Makind some little arangements would be perfect too .I find around 4 proficencies resonable for small 8 player leagues, which could be tunned up by getting more prestige from instances or simply tunning up a bit the prestige given from tribute. Leagues there could choose either they wanna keep those 4 proficencies or invest them in getting bank slots or statuaries.

I understand your logic and i don't want to tributes to be back as they were either but the way you diminished them become really drastic and as some users have pointed out, the way you handle it right now you'll probably have the same problem when tier 7 comes out so the best thing would be to give it a solution now and no later. ( Fighting the disease here is important and not the symptoms)

Thanks for understanding my point of view.
    And once again i apreciate all the effort you putinto making this game work, because without you guys we woudln't even have anything in the first place, what i'm doing here is expressing my opinion in the comunity for making an even better game.
  7. Haazina New Player

Please tell me the new prestige earning numbers for GU40 are coming very very very soon.
  8. Remander Steadfast Player

Do you folks, by chance, have any data on the number of hours per week an "average" player spends on DCUO? Just interested.
    • Like x 2
  9. Judgmental Jolt Well-Known Player

This is certainly true. I am noticing that this is designed in a manner that allows players who get on even only one day a week and run all their available content that day to contribute something. That is all you are technically "expecting" anyone to contribute in this model.

However, more active players can pretty easily pick up the slack. A more active player is more likely to have an alt, etc. To make up for the prestige he or she can't get on their main character.

Part of the reason I didn't like the comments before of "Get more people in your league if you have trouble getting prestige" is because people imagined they had to do way more for prestige than the developers modeled the system for.

I completely agree that a league of 8 people doing JUST all of their content once a week shouldn't come close to ANY kind of caps. However, a league of 8 people that do more than the minimum does in fact have the opportunity to get significant prestige WITHOUT using replay badges.

This model says, "If you want to be in a small league AND you want to max your proficiencies, work hard. If you do not wish to work hard for your proficiencies, increase numbers"

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I DO have another thought. It seems as though the whole Prestige model is arranged around proficiencies a lot more so than the other 'upgrades' (Bank and Statuaries). Perhaps a solution in the future might be to allow tributes to pay for THOSE things, or maybe even REQUIRE tribute for those nice additions. I guess my thought is Tribute as a SEPARATE currency from Prestige altogether. Obviously, I am aware that it is a little late in the game for that type of change, but I still think it would have been a good idea.

Prestige = Proficiency
    Tribute Points = Bank, Statuaries, etc.

Just throwing an idea at the wall for if a similar situation ever comes up in the future. The whole Symbols of Power + MoF thing is admittedly my inspiration on this because I feel that it works reasonably well.
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

As mentioned, the first two proficiencies you pick are going to be the most worthwhile. And again, with the average bar we have based our expectations on, that is a very small and not very active league only unlocking two proficiencies.
    • Like x 3
  11. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

I understand this idea, while i think it goes really off, of what you guys tried to do with "Balancing", it's right.
    Altough what it's just necesarry to realize, it's that not hardcore leagues are going to achieve that, a lot of leagues are going to do that, and i belive big leagues are capable of reaching the cap in 1 day, maximum 2, and they're going to still complain about how fast they reach the cap. So to be honest i don't see how you're solving the problem for a mayority of the DCUO population.
    • Like x 1
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Possibly. The point of the change here is they'll be doing it by running content, which is leagues spending time in the game together, not instantly done via tribute right after reset.
    • Like x 6
  13. Pez Fedora Developer

It's brought up regularly because those are regular sinks for Prestige and many players have brought up the cost of maintaining them. You could replace all references in Zinbik's post above and discuss how long it would take to make those permanent purchases.
    • Like x 6
  14. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

I do understand you, as i mentioned as well, the thing is that your "balance" still off, what about the leagues who mostly do pvp ?
    I could give you more examples about how you are in fact making it quite hard for really small leagues ( but you can also go to the previous thread where many people gave it's thoughts), because people who will want to be competitive in some way will have to be forced to go to big league instead of staying with his friends.
    Of course it's its choice, but i thought you guys cared about that when you tried to not make that big of a difference between small and big leagues.

The problem of this are the proficencies, above all, and that's why i propose to make changes to that and make something else to look foward and to work for, something that won't affect our play but something all people would like to do.

Anyway I know that we can still write and discuss about this and we'll probably won't have any changes until this hits live and probably you'll see that there are calculations, but the social factor has a big impact on a league, and that many small leagues are going to have it hard.

I apreciate your answers though and the explanations.

Thanks for all your hard work on this game.
  15. xxOMNIPOTENTxx Committed Player

Indeed, those who have reached the max will always want more.

When we're creating the league, and in order to maintain fairness across the board (I can see new recruits saying that your league must have 4+ proficiencies), give the creator the option to choose their fate. League cap of 50 members would be able to achieve the same overall proficiencies as a League with 500. If you have 50 or less (can't accept more than this number), then your league earns prestige with a multiplier equivalent to the total prestige earned by the mega leagues. If you want more than 50 members, select that option (or continue as you are), and earn prestige accordingly.

A DCUO gamer is still going to spend money on the game regardless of the league size. Please stop penalizing the smaller leagues for not wanting to accept any newbie or elitist into our league(s) in order to maintain a slim competitive advantage.
  16. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Once again i understand but we never asked to leave the tribute the way it was, we only asked it was less diminished.
    Since the thread started i only asked for a middle ground.
    Or just let it the way you're planning to but give a bit more prestige for compleating instances, which would mean leagues spending time together too.

And at all the problem of capping instantly after reset it's a managment problem bettween the league. Tribute is supossed to help us reach the cap after doing content and at the end of the week.
  17. Venture New Player

Why should we be forced to have large leagues to get the most proficiencies? Its like a punishment having a smaller one. Having a large league with too many people to really know all of them, is not what a league means to me and many others. My league is close knit of about 10 that have been together for 2yrs. I just really don't get it
    • Like x 2
  18. Pharue New Player

If the goal is to promote leagues running content together, why not have bonuses for prestige earned with additional league members in your group?
    • Like x 3
  19. KN1TE Dedicated Player

It would b nice, instead of a hard cap, to have an escrow type system. That way nothing ever goes to waste. Have it diminishing, but have it count toward future usage. That way if people leave/quit for a while you have some time to make up or already have some bank of prestige. It would help with total league fall outs...if that happens as it has happened in the past. Having a cap for how much a league can use a week, ok, I can understand that. But having stuff NOT count because you run a lot or if you are in an average or large league that can hit the hard cap is also NOT fair. It SHOULD count for at least something.
  20. Jamie New Player

Have you changed the way Prestige is earned with bases? I know initially PC players could earn more Prestige with their bases than PS players due to the amount of decorations allowed to be placed. So are your numbers for a base regardless of system, for PC, or for PS with PC being able to earn more?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.