Work In Progress: What's Next for Arena PvP

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Tunso, Apr 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Businessman Ultra Well-Known Player

In cutting down the big block of text you missed the part where I said there SHOULD be a separate option of Arenas where ALL PvE is restricted, including capping SP at the max that can be gained in PvP. Can that last part be done? Probably not, but it's there to make the point that making lone PvP absolute isn't possible when the game is intertwined. However, giving the option of a standardized cola/trinket pack a la legends and disallowing any other PvE centric buffs or whatever would be a great addition to the PvP experience. While I'd rather have other people go all out trying to beat me and vice versa, I'd more than welcome the option of a completely balanced version... just not making it the ONLY option.
  2. Giggles Loyal Player

Sure there is, most mods can be countered with a block, stun, proper soda timing, dodge, etc. there's plenty of ways to counter many of these "problem mods". The problem is people need to learn to adapt their strategies on the fly to combat one of these "problem mods" when they are used by your opponents.

Just because people use these mods, does not ensure them a win. Which again means that skill is the determining factor of the match. Who has the best timing, strategy, team work, combat know how, etc. These mods and HT trinkets, just add to possible strategies that players can use to attempt to overcome their opponents. Period. :)

You have your opinion, and I have mine. Whether or not you want to consider it a counter or not, does not change the fact that by dropping yours at the same time, it gives you the same exact buff that your opponent received. So of you think about it, your opponent drops it they get +1 you are still at 0. You drop your supply drop, that gives you +1. If you are both equal at 1, did you just not negate what they were attempting to do to get ahead? That would be classified as a counter mechanic. :)
    • Like x 2
  3. Mercenary Renegade New Player

Ad Hominem I believe.

They are vulnerable after they roll, the issue with the tactical mod is because of said mod, what used to be counterable via counter system is no longer counterable via the counter system. You then try to reiterate that a stun can stop a person from rolling, but it doesn't completely counteract a roll. It does not nullify a roll from happening, it doesn't always prevent a roll is what makes a stun not viable for the countering system. Rightly so, because a stun is not a part of the countering system whereas rolling is.
    • Like x 1
  4. Thrump New Player

You keep saying that getting SP through arenas wouldn't be earning. It's like you're not even listening. I would be fine if they added more feats to PvP, added a mark for SP exchange, or did both. None of the 3 being in the game would be handed away... Unless of course SoE chose to make the SP exchange too easy to get and I don't think they would do that.

I feel as though you're arguing for the sake of arguing.
  5. Frankzilla Committed Player

What are you rolling for this pvp we are fighting if you choose to try to roll away your taking that risk; and if someone capitalized on that you gotta accept the consequence just like blocking or block breaking. If you've been around since beta just be honest and say pvp is easier now and you like now having to worry about all the counters like before. All the extra stuff is just that extra customization lmao ppl are comfortable with easy mode pvp. I actually saw someone get off a tachyon blast yesterday that would have never happened without that mod on my watch.
  6. Thrump New Player

Photon blast can be blocked? Acro-roll can be blocked/lunged? If you roll out of a orbital strike you will probably get countered. You can counter an ice or mental user spamming shields and getting constant heals from their hand mod? You can counter someone breaking out and getting 700 more toughness? You can counter someone breaking out and getting health regenerated? You can counter someone randomly getting a 70% damage shield for however much damage? - I'd check the numbers but DCUO seems to be down.
  7. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

The problem is there's barely enough people playing the current arenas to keep the queues short and matches not repetitive. So how are you going to fill 2X the queues? Just ain't gonna happen.
  8. Thrump New Player

Sorry sorry. A real counter system*
  9. Giggles Loyal Player

Yes, you can counter all of that. This is achieved by using said mods yourself. No mod is flawless, and every mod has its short comings against other mods. You have to strategize which mods get used. For example, you can't have breakout defense and breakout regeneration. One or the other. You have to weigh out which mod will provide more benefit to you and your play style. Also, photon can be blocked now, didn't you read the patch notes? It's damage and cc was reduced? Not sure why everyone is having do much trouble against photon. :)
  10. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Not to mention that the act of rolling makes you avoid range attacks, meaning most powers, meaning most CC :D

You can counter mental/ice shield play, debuffs, just have to know what you're up against first to set up correctly. Other than that... yeah...
  11. Thrump New Player

Wait, so if I block and someone uses photon on me, they get knocked on their butt?
  12. BadNameStallone New Player

Removing HT is the best option.
    This thread people say that you can prevent HT imbalance with skill but that is not true.

Tumbling master mod: You can´t interrupt it. Someone mentioned you can stun, but you can´t, it´s naive even think about it. Roll is by nature a dodge, so you can´t stun out of it. You can stun the user before or after, but never during execution. If I am wrong, please tell me the specific power to stun out of this mod, because all i´ve read is people saying you can stun out of it, without even explaining how. :rolleyes:

Empowered channeled: Is meant to use with finishers. A finisher is meant to be used *strictly* when the target is below 35%, then finisher KO´s the target. How with skill can you prevent this? Again , if the argument is "with skill" please not mention you can breakout and prevent, please elaborate how if you are below 35%, you can avoid it. (Using soder/supply/sidekick/supercharge is been situational).

Remove HT trinkets please.

Add pvp only consumables.

Add role specific PVP trinkts (dps *prec and might, prec, might*, restoration, vitalization, hp)

I also have one question:

How inew PVP gear should compete in open world vs new PVE gear? If PVP can´t keep up somehow with it, QQs will be hear. Make toughness ignore all damage or 90% of the incoming damage from PVE gear.

Add buff soders strictly for pvp too.
    • Like x 3
  13. Thrump New Player

In SWTOR you can only use a finisher when the person is under 35% health. I'd like to see that here if HT mods aren't removed.
    • Like x 1
  14. Thrump New Player

In swtor you can only use a finisher when your target is under a certain amount of health. I'd like to see that here.*
    • Like x 1
  15. Giggles Loyal Player

Wrong... I PvP daily, and my queues pop extremely quickly. I play on USPC as well, the same server you play on.

There isn't many people playing the kind of PvP YOU like. Just because people do not enjoy the type of PvP that you enjoy, does not mean forcing people to play the way you prefer is the right way to go.

This is precisely why HT should stay in objective PvP, and be completely removed from DM. This way both parties are happy. :)
  16. Giggles Loyal Player

We are playing DCUO, not some other game. In this game, finishers do less damage above 35%, and do significant damage below 35%. I personally would prefer this game stay original and not follow other games.

This games combat system, counter mechanics, mods, trinkets, etc is what sets it apart from the rest. Which is precisely why HT belongs in PvP. It was after all designed for both PvE AND PvP. :)
  17. Thrump New Player

Do what works is what they should do... Not worry about being a hipster or something.
  18. Giggles Loyal Player

@Frankzilla

PvP is much more complex now than it ever used to be. I understand you don't feel that way, but again this is my opinion. I like the depth, and strategies, and diversity that these HT mods and trinkets bring to PvP. I have stated why in detail previously. I'm sorry you don't understand where I am coming from! or you cannot see things the way I do, but again this is my opinion. That opinion is that this game has evolved way passed its vanilla state. Thinks aren't black and white anymore, there is some grey. Skill, timing, and know how is precisely how you counter these grey areas that exist. They keep this game innovative and fun, for me at least.

As I said previously, whatever happens, happens. I am not worried about these changes, or what they may bring. I love this game and will be here until the servers close. I am all for whatever the devs decide, but I am making sure that they understand where a player like me is coming from and why. :)
    • Like x 1
  19. Frankzilla Committed Player

How is it forcing anything when no ht mods is how the game was created and was that way for 2yrs. Ht mods are still fairly new and if anything tact mods were forced on anyone who like to be competitive in pvp. Plus how can you mention you want dc to stay original but a few pages ago you said mods are apart of mmos yes they are but are tact mods. Why cant dc stay original the original way it was designed following combat mechanic rules no exceptions. Especially in pvp situations it should be even playing field where all rules apply.
  20. ItzLewDot781 Active Player

As a nature healer. I go into 4v4 arenas with ( troll - tank - dps - healer ) As soon as i take one step... BAM debuff (defense - heal) Pop trinket and 5 sec later debuff again and 4 people on top of me. One or 2 guys in the back hitting me so i cant block (ALSO) with nature its not like sorc, I need to constantly pop heals and weapon attack, how can that happen with 4 people on top of me and NO way in hell can i block... Myself as a healer has bounce back mod to back a few off, and my tank can get through to cleanse me so i can pop a big power heal...

I know some people are taking that mod in a 1v1 and that was a very sad match i witnessed. lol i cant defend that at all and i agree with you guys.

I pvp in a group and white mods help me. Now i stated how it helps me and some people down vote me. smh... =/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.