Arasai/Fae Wing Movement = Discomfort for some

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Faerless, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-sassafras Guest

I have no problems with wings causing any physical sickness. It's the posts with bold , hot pink, blue, green or multi-colored text that hurts my eyes :p
  2. ARCHIVED-Xandare Guest

wait... I thought this was a joke thread..
    Playing and getting sick by an element of the game, then trying to force the game to change rather than not play is the same thing as getting on a rollercoaster and telling them to do it at half speed since it might make you sick..
    Thats trying to change the world to suit yourself at everyones expense..
    I don't have this problem, but if I did I would find something else to play..
  3. ARCHIVED-Katsi Guest

Xandare wrote:
    In this case a better example would be...

You get on a regular roller coaster and ride half way through. Then the designers change it to an extreme coaster with drops and twists beyond your ability to withstand. You then request that they add supports and cushions that you have the option to use, and are not forced upon any other rider, unless they wish to use them as well, so that you might finish the ride.

The gameplay wasn't a problem in the beginning. Only after the winged folk were added did this issue become a problem.

People who have this problem have been playing the game with out it being an issue for a long time. Long enough for them to become attached to the game and to wish to continue playing it.

Therefore they are asking the designers to implement a way for them to be able to continue playing it without affecting other people in the game.

Now that makes me want to know.... Why are people getting upset about a change that would not affect them (unless they wanted it to)?

- Katsi
  4. ARCHIVED-Katsi Guest

(Separate post for separate thought)

I have noticed that there have been three options put forth as solutions.
    Client side remove wings
    Client side freeze wings
    and
    Individual fold wings

I agree that removing wings would not be acceptable to many. The characters were created with wings to be seen with wings. Removing them, even client side only, gets too close to the whole soga/original issue where people want to be seen as they are created, not as others want to see them.

Individual fold wings isn't going to stop other winged ones from affecting the player. I would hate to see the discussions, arguments that would occur when people make the request in pickup groups for other people to fold their wings.

However freezing the wings, completely stopping their movement on the client side only, seems completely acceptable to me. You still see the wings that I carefully colored and matched (or accented) my hair to, but as they no longer move, they should no longer trigger the motion sickness issue.

*shrug* That's all just my opinion though. It and $2.50 might get you a cup of coffee.

- Katsi
  5. ARCHIVED-Youngone31 Guest

Xandare wrote:
    I am glad you found this thread funny.
    Most people that post on these forums do not think, do not think of others, do not read everything, or have a reading problem.
    This is a very serious issue for some people. Just because you do not have this problem does not mean it does not exist. Its get old reading insensitive comments from people telling others to quit the game.
    If people are getting ill playing the wing race then they need to change races.
    If people that been playing the game since it has started and do not play a wing race but become ill being around them, then something needs to be changed. Quite a few people have posted good suggestions from client side options to a wing fold command. If you can not make a positive suggestion, then maybe you consider NOT posting on these boards.
    Personally i am asking for the wing fold option becuase it would stop the movement of the wings a make it easier for people too see around them. The movement does not bother me but when I am with other wing ones in a confined area, its almost impossible to see around them. I feel sorry for people playing short races trying to see around my avatar.
  6. ARCHIVED-Spor Guest

Xandare wrote:
    Considering that they are asking for a client side option,(with the exception of the fold wings) it wouldnt be at anyones expense, if you would like to keep the wing flutter there than you can. And it is alot different than a rollercoaster. Running a rollercoaster at half speed would cause it to not finish, since the momentum of the cars would not be enough to cary them over some of the hills, thus everyone gets stuck, changing the client side options would mean only those who wish not to see the wing animations would be affected. No, I dont get sick from it, but I took the time to read and I can see where people are coming from.
  7. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

<nods> The roller coaster isn't a good analogy. What happened here are people who got in the line for the kiddy rollercoaster at the fair (the one that only goes up and down) and wound up on the Zipper halfway through the ride (the one that spins you in a big loop and then dangles you upside down for a while). The people in this thread are mostly ones who have never had a problem with EQ2 or anything in it until the fae arrived. Telling them after 2 to 3 years of loyal subscribing to SOE that they should have to leave the game because of a new element that wasn't there when the game began is just... wrong.
  8. ARCHIVED-SnoesieQ Guest

I hestitate to post in this thread... My personal impression of SOE is that their take on it is of the jerks in this thread. They not only don't listen - they don't care.
    This issue happened in SWG with the NGE - they changed the camera angle by offsetting the camera, something which caused many people to experience motion sickness. Despite similar threads to this one on the forum, they didn't do anything about it until about 9 months later. At which point, I still don't think they changed it on account of the people who were unable to play with the offset camera, but because most people simply disliked it. And that was a very simple change - there were even illegal mods to correct the issue for those of us who couldn't play with the offset camera. The wing movement - or whatever causes it, seems to be a little less clear on what exactly would need adjusting to correct the problems people have.
    Its interesting to see how many people think that unless "a lot" of people experience a problem, it shouldn't be looked at. I don't have any problems with fae, or indeed most of the arasai. But some of the color/wingpattern combinations of the arasai cause me the problem people have described in the thread. I do have issues with motion sickness, IRL and in some games, but have never had any type of issue with epilepsi. The point is - I didn't even know it was related to the arasai. I couldn't understand why I had problems, since it seemed to happen randomly. I don't have any problems with the wings or the floating movement of my fae character.
    So, how many people only have some problems some of the time, without even understanding that a certain design element is causing it? They, like me at the time, might think perhaps they are tired, have played too long, need a break etc, and come back and feel better. SWG also introduced something they refered to as "snappy movement" at a certain point, which caused people a variety of problems. Some people did get motion sick from it, as it changed how the avatar moved. But a large number of people got other types of problems - splitting head aches, feeling more tired than usual after what they considered a short play session etc. After some very long threads, the graphics/rendering/whatever was adjusted a few times, until at least people (for the most part) stopped having physical problems with the change.
    The folding wing "animation" already exist in game, to add this as a client side option seems to me to be the most fair, if its the motion which is causing it. My personal guess is that its a combination of color/pattern and movement - and the way the screen renders it. You don't have to suffer an epileptic fit to feel discomfort under a stroboscop light for instance. Our eyes are not made for a screen, our brain just makes its best to interpret what we see as something which makes sense to us. Its easy to forget that all we really see are pixels in different colors.