Arasai/Fae Wing Movement = Discomfort for some

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Faerless, Jun 18, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-rvbarton Guest

I would love to play a fae or arasei, but I feel like I'd go into epileptic shock from the wing fluttering.. I'd like to see a toggle also...
  2. ARCHIVED-Valita Guest

I'm not sure what's up with the hatefulness. That's just inappropriate and as the mods said crosses the line. I believe the wing effect is a particle effect so turning down particles can stop the fluttering but will obviously turn off the particles (clothing, spells, and so forth). You will still see wings but they wont be fluttering. Its a work around perhaps. EDIT: Ok I just tried to do this again and it doesn't seem to work anymore. Sorry. I see no problem with a client side alternative that allows the individual to become more comfortable playing the game. It doesn't hurt anyone. Yes there is a warning on the box and when you start the game the first time that some people can feel ill. It's happened to me a time or two (not sure why but the Frostfel maze had me in a cold sweat). There is no reason to be vindictive towards someone who feels this. That's not what these forums are about. Personally I don't care for the constant hovering. I'd love to be able to have my fae/arasai do the slow strut! LOL! But they only touch the ground when they emote. :( It would be nice if we had a /no fly command (this would help classes with safefall too. Oops got off subject... es tut mir leid!
  3. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

[p]Do yourself a favor and don't play characters that can physically harm you.[/p][p]For example for my own:[/p][p]I can't stand fast action FPS games due to my astigmats.. solution: I don't play them[/p][p]I can't stand blobbing for same reason.. solution: I don't use my warg [/p][p]I can't stand wing flapping, I don't play a Fae or Arasai. [/p][p] [/p][p]Why would you play a race that has nothing but wings and what would be meaning of it, if you cut wings? If it is for character traits, do yourself a favor and ask for better traits for other races... Noone can want more than me to cut Arasai's or Fae's wings by my own hands but this is where they would die... I'd respect them to get burried with their limbs.[/p][p] [/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-cerialxthrilla Guest

if you read any of the other posts, this is also happening when other Fae are on screen. Atleast be decent enough to read the posts before you start bashing people.. How would it affect you if some people turned off wings on their game? It wouldn't affect you in the least.
  5. ARCHIVED-Allisia Guest

While the fae and arasai models don't bother me, I see no reason why the devs shouldn't respect this request. I know I would hate to have to give up the game over such a easily corrected issue.
  6. ARCHIVED-Rastaah Guest

[p]Maybe just like hide helm/cloak they can add a feature to stop wing movement. I like the wings moving, but.....now that you all said this, so weird because I do get REALLY bad eye fatigue when playing winged charaters lol. JUst never realized that was what it was.[/p][p] [/p][p]So now I know.[/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-Targ Guest

[p]The Arasai/Fae wing movement for me is uncomfortable to watch for long periods. If a client side options to stop the flapping could be created, I would definatly turn it on. The flapping for me just causes eye strain. I have not played the Arasai/Fae much because of this issue. And I don't like to group with them either. [/p][p]Most of the other partical effects are not a problem, except there is one buff that has a little fire ball circling over the tanks head I don't know what the buff is called but I don't care for it.[/p][p]I would like to point out that the view when riding a Warg gives me motion sickness, I had to sell them and buy horses. All the other mounts are not a problem for me. And this is not a big deal because the horse is faster anyway. [/p][p]I do think it would be good if the game can be made more enjoyable to more people if the changes does not impact the play for anybody else.[/p][p] [/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

[p]Some interesting technical information regarding the 'sickness' being reported. [/p][p]Simulation sickness[/p][p]Simulation sickness, or simulator sickness, is a condition where a person exhibits symptoms similar to motion sickness caused by playing computer/simulation/video games.[/p][p]The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin. According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another a form of motion sickness.[/p][p]The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness. Some can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. A research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards.[/p][p]In a study conducted by U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences in a report published May 1995 titled "Technical Report 1027 - Simulator Sickness in Virtual Environments", out of 742 pilot exposures from 11 military flight simulators, "approximately half of the pilots (334) reported post-effects of some kind: 250 (34%) reported that symptoms dissipated in less than 1 hour, 44 (6%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 4 hours, and 28 (4%) reported that symptoms lasted longer than 6 hours. There were also 4 (1%) reported cases of spontaneously occurring flashbacks".[/p][p] [/p][p]Below is a link to an even more in depth study of the nature and causes of Simulation Sickness. [/p][p]http://www.hitl.washington.edu/publications/r-96-3/[/p][p] [/p][p]Thank you for your time and consideration of this issue,[/p][p]Faerless[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-Image_Vain Guest

I agree and ask for a /Hide wings. However, the entire "wing hurting my eyes thing", I don't have that problem, but respect other players "problems" to yeah, please add this.
  10. ARCHIVED-selch Guest

[p] I don't read other posts to reply to original post, sorry... [/p][p]This has nothing to do with simulation sickness, because I have simulation sickness and noone forcing you to play with Fae... It does not happen when seeing other ones that is not far as your own avatar.[/p][p] [/p]
  11. ARCHIVED-Jalek Guest

/hideotherplayers That then covers ugly armour, mounts, pets, and wings flapping. But lets not get silly, if people are honestly feeling ill due to this then a fix client side only is hardly a big thing to ask although im curious why people rolled these races when they experienced this issue.
  12. ARCHIVED-Krelor Guest

[p]I see nothing wrong with a client side option as mentioned by a few in this thread already, similar to that for other graphical effects such as cloth simulation, water movement etc etc.[/p][p]That option being to show or not show fae/arasai wing *movement*[/p][p]Fae/arasai without their wings may as well be another elf like race (I won't go into the 'they may as well be the same anyway' debate).[/p][p]Some folks in this thread obviously enjoy seeing the fae/arasai in game and want to play them. Just because they suffer from problems stemming from the wing movement doesn't mean they suffer problems with the game environment *as a whole* nor is it a reason for slamming them for failing to observe the health warnings.[/p][p]If it was made client side as per the options mentiond in my first paragraph - it would significantly help those who suffer from issues stemming from the *wing movement* AND allow them to continue to enjoy the game. [/p][p]Client side changes have no impact on those who like to see such movement - they could continue to keep such an option enabled of course were it to appear.[/p][p]edit: without, not 'with'[/p]
  13. ARCHIVED-Princess Ariel Guest

[p] [/p][p]I guess I need to clarify myself although I thought I basically said it in my original post: I created a fae, it makes me sick so I don't play it BUT would love to play one. [/p][p]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [/p][p]Furthermore (which I didn't say in my orignial post), I don't think it is fair that I have to avoid groups/guild groups/raids with fae/arasia (when there are so many it is getting harder and harder to avoid everyday). I as well don't think it is fair that I have to question leaving a game I have played for 3 years and that I absolutely love (and after paying soe around $750.00). I am not asking for soe to get rid of the wings nor am I asking soe to get rid of the fae, I would never do that. I understand why people love them. I am asking for a client side option to either halt wings or hide wings. It would not affect other players that choose to not use this option. They would still see the wings and/or see the movement. Just like the soga models, I keep mine off or normal view but I have a friend that plays all characters in soga model. He see's what he see's and I see what I see. Personally I would like a stop movement option. There are so many characters with beautiful wings out there. [/p][p]I don't think it is fair for people to be attacking anyone else or me for something they and I can not control. I never had a problem with the game before the introduction of the fae/arasai, other then with the droag shape shift form (once again because of the wings flapping). As for simulation sickness I play with a friend that has very minor epilepsy she cannot play in Barren Sky because of the brightness of the colors will set off seizures, (which most of the time she just avoids or has her boyfriend play her character when she has something to do there) so to me it proves that this a form of simulation sickness. Thanks Faerless for putting out the link it was very informative and interesting. [/p][p]I really appreciate all those with postive and supportive feedback, THANK YOU.[/p][p]Ariel [/p][p] [/p]
  14. ARCHIVED-littleman17 Guest

[p]For all you people who are bashing this thread just because they don't have this problem... *circle slap* I don't have this problem, but it is obvious that several people do, and SOE cannot afford to lose anymore people just because people think the solution should be "don't play that race or play with them".[/p][p]Sure, the not playing the race is an option, but not playing with people of that race simply is not. The Fae and Arasai are EVERYWHERE! The other day, my Ranger (Wood Elf) was in the SoS with a group of me and five fae/arasai. Granted, I hardly even notice when they are there because they are so short (goes for halflings, gnomes and ratonga as well) and I am so engrossed in killing stuff.[/p][p]But still, please but this feature in for those who have this problem. Make it like a /wingsstatic or just /wing for short. Typing that code would make all wings on characters simply not flutter, but rather sit there like cloaks.[/p][p]That brings up another question... do you guys get this feeling when you see cloaks in motion?[/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-Princess Ariel Guest

[p]Sometimes yes sometimes no. If I am up close to my character (but not all the way in) it can start to bother me so I usually will turn it off. I also think it doesn't bother me as much because it doesn't continueously do it, and doesn't take up as much visual area.[/p]
  16. ARCHIVED-Dead Knight Guest

While several people do have this problem, and the obvious solution would be not to play the race while SoE thinks of some sort of fix.. would you really still be willing to play the race if the whole point of them was... gimped? I don't really see the point of a winged creature flying without wings flapping or without any wings at all. Do you also experience this watching Droags ETC in KoS?
  17. ARCHIVED-Sylaz Guest

I honestly think that adding a client side option is more akin to applying a band-aid to an axe wound. If you're getting physically sick while playing any sort of video game, you should speak with a doctor and figure out if there's a way you can fix the problem. There are motion sickness remedies you can buy, and while this seems like a hassle that may not be the problem. Someone mentioned seeing lights while watching this, and that sounds like epilepsy, which is much more serious than just motion sickness, and you really should get some sort of help for that.
  18. ARCHIVED-Faerless Guest

[p] [/p][p]It was stated above by Princess Areil that the Droag wings also seem to produce this effect as well, although to a lesser extent.[/p][p]I believe that the way most who suffer from this problem are working around it, they are simply not playing the races. However that does not address the issue of being unable to avoid seeing others in the game who play the races. The Fae/Arasai are everywhere. Whether in groups or the general population, seeing them is unavoidable.[/p][p]Additionally, were the 'whole point' of the Fae/Arasai simply to introduce winged races who 'fly', as opposed to introducing an interesting new pair of like-looking races with unique stats and physical appearance from other races in the game, I think Sony would have granted them actual 'flight'. They did not. They granted them the ability to 'hover'. Were flight an attribute that the Fae/Arasai currently possess they would not immediately fall victim to gravity the moment they hover over a body of water. *SPLASH*[/p][p]What Sony did in fact do was introduce a new set of races that demonstrate a repeating movement charactistic that none of the other races demonstrate and is uncomfortable for some to visually encounter whether as a player or as an observer. Whether they play the races or not, watching the movement of the wings seems to have a negative effect on their enjoyment of the EverQuest II experience. [/p][p]It has also been stated by other participants in this thread that their symptoms did not manafest until the introduction of the wing-flapping animation of the Fae/Arasai. These are likely long time players who genuinely enjoy the game and have experienced no discomfort until the introduction of a race with a new visual animation.[/p][p] After having recently done considerable research into this particular problem and it's symptoms my recommentations for addressing the issue are as follows. [/p][p]The later option would provide players with the ability to adjust the speed at which they see the movement of the Fae/Arasai wing animation. It's entirely possible that the current speed of the animation is the culprit.[/p][p] [/p][p]Persona / Options = < checkbox for Hide Wing > (Hides all Fae/Arasai wings seen by player)[/p][p]Persona / Options = < checkbox for Stop Wing > (Halts flapping animation of all Fae/Arasai wings seen by player)[/p][p]Options / Display = < slider for Fae/Arasai Wing Speed > (Adjusts speed of wing movement for all Fae/Arasai wing animation seen by player - stop/slower/faster)[/p][p] [/p][p]Thank you again for your time and consideration of this issue, Faerless[/p]
  19. ARCHIVED-Siogai Guest

Simple fix... Pin the Fae and Arasai to a wall. Viola! No more flapping about, stealing our oxygen.
  20. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

[p]I wonder if this is similar to the vertigo people feel when being in precipitous places in games. First time I felt it was at the top of the lookout tower in Zek. Passes after a while but its interesting how the brain works at sorting out what you see and what actually is real. [/p][p]With me, its repeated regular sounds such as clocks ticking that makes me want to go into a berserk frenzy. Thankfully theres a volume control so its not game breaking! I have digital clocks only in my house.[/p][p]Oh and windchimes....nnnnnngghhhh GAAAHH!!![/p]