Wraith Flash: Fury-F or Basilisk-F?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Daigons, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Mehanal

While I do agree with you on some of your points, I disagree that they're dependable. For example, if an infiltrator went up to a HA (who knew what he was doing), and threw an EMP at him, it would only phase him at best. After realizing that an infiltrator is behind him, it'd be the classic "F key Overshield time, 180 degree turn, mow em' down/spray n' pray with my 100 bullet magazine". I know infiltrators are not supposed to go up against heavies 1 V 1 unless the HA is already injured, but this nerf has effectively made the gap between combating HA with infiltrators into a chasm. I've thrown an EMP directly on the ground in front of me to see how strong the grain effect was - while it does blur your vision, you can still honestly tell friend from foe - but that's just me and some people might think different (different graphics settings, personal opinion, etc). I'd rather have the EMP not blur your vision anymore but still be able to at least drain some of your ability energy than for it to not complete the job it originally was meant to do. I'd much rather have a concussion grenade rather than the EMP in its current state.

Before the nerf, there were two stalker infiltrators camping a vehicle terminal with silenced Mag-Shots. I threw an EMP grenade and exposed them, then shot them down. Now with the nerf, I might as well just laugh and give up, because as soon as they see a darklight, they'll scram and come back as soon as you're done doing your fruitless search.

TLDR: It's turned into a much bigger niche grenade than actually being useful. The ability to remove both shields for the HA is almost a necessity in order for you to take them down relatively fast. Stalker infiltrators are much harder to find unless you run back to get a darklight, which by the way only illuminates things 2 cm away from you (exaggeration), but then they could just run away from you anyways.
    • Up x 1
  2. Demigan

A... Chasm?
    Imagine if the Heavy still has his full overshield and just lost his normal shield. Then he's got 500 health+450 overshield=950 hitpoints.
    Compare that to a basic Infiltrator without auxilliary or armor cloak, 900 hitpoints total. That's 50 health difference.

But, your SMG is more easily used with hipfire and has pretty much the same DPS as your Heavy opponent, if not more. Add the fact of surprise attack, and the fact that your enemy now has a lot of trouble looking for stealth shimmer due to the grainy effect, and add the fact that his shield will drain health over time, and said Heavy should be mopped up with ease. Now that might be a somewhat unfair comparison because I can and do kill full-health Heavies without using EMP as CQC Infil and the average Joe won't be capable of that, but after you cut off slightly more than 33% of the total healthpool of your enemy, he's screwed.
    And let's not start about the Heavies using resist shield...

Yes that is annoying, but from my experience Stalkers are those guys who think Cloak=invisibility, and they stay put. That said, should the Infiltrator be the only counter to Stalkers? Aren't we better off designing new tools and gadgets to counter Stalkers that try to escape the moment a short-ranged small-coned Darklight appears?
    Also, why don't you try using a Heavy? I heard that even after getting hit by an EMP Heavies can easily beat an Infiltrator, so just lure them to fire at you (stand at the terminal acting as if you access it) and murder them! Yeah! Hell they are carrying silenced pistols, rather than an SMG! Should be a piece of cake!

A... Niche grenade? Holy **** what the hell? If the EMP is a niche grenade, what the hell are Flashbangs and Concussions? Confetti packages? If you think EMP's are bad despite all their advantages, try and use those two grenades.
  3. Demigan

That's 450 health, maximum. Add the fact that grainy vision makes it hard to see stealth shimmer and you have automatic surprise-attacks, and force your opponent to immediately activate his overshield... And since you still have stealth you can easily let that shield drain for a moment and then attack when said Heavy is panickily looking around and faces away from you for a moment.

I heard, I haven't tested this, that infils in cloak will be thrown out, but won't have their energy drained.

I think that it shouldn't be too difficult to attack an opponent within the 4(?) seconds it takes for a max shield capacitor Engi to start regenerating his shields.

It also requires Medics to be nearby, or you yourself to be a Medic with enough AOE heal, or a medkit, or regen. Compare that to having a shield that starts regenerating at 6 seconds and is finished at 10(?), at which point your health finally starts regenerating with regen... It seems an extremely niche implant, even if you didn't add in the fact that it's a rare.

Which would mean that you knew beforehand that you were about to get EMP'd/Flash'd/conc'd. Or that you engaged someone, then popped a medkit just before an enemy tried to hit you.
    But even then, losing your shield isn't a debuff. I just tested it, and the shield is slighly affected by the Occular. It has a sliver of shield left with a MAX rank version. Also, cloaked units do have the shield shimmer effect when hit by EMP's.

Yes. I don't see a problem with that. They are tactical grenades and not used a lot, despite the EMP's immense strength. Tactical grenades could get an upgrade, but even then I don't see a problem with a 30% reduction of effects from Occular.

Depends on the situation, but looking at the effectiveness and chance of success, EMP's are better. With a concussion grenade you are looking at the small chance your enemy is still near the grenade upon explosion, and also praying that cover doesn't break the LOS to the grenade upon explosion. That's why EMP's have an average accuracy of 70%, while concussions (based on Frags because concussion data seems to be missing) have an accuracy around 50%, but with falloff of effects...

So you'll throw an EMP, then sit still waiting for their shield to regen? Or do you gun them down?
    Imagine if someone does have Carapace... Then yes, you wasted a grenade. One. Compare that to the 20% more missed grenades with all other grenade types? That's nothing! And if you are any good, then your EMP was just the start of your surprise attack and you would still have the advantage.

The only real problem I would see is Infil vs Infil fights, although the immense cat-and-mouse game of trying to locate each other without having a highly accurate instant-decloak grenade sounds pretty damn fun.

But only one at a time is regen'd. Also the area heal will run out at some point. Medics are also one of the few players that would have any active use out of Carapace outside of Infils, because their constant regen and the advantage of starting to regain health from the first hit, pushing them truly into a Medium Assault role.

I did look on Occular. I also did a test with someone I just met there.
  4. LordKrelas

If the Grenade isn't thrown near point-blank range, it will easily take more than 4 seconds, let alone if target is intelligent to move.
    As well, a lot of heavies just start unloading - The moment you decloak to fire, that heavy who's controls aren't impaired can easily turn if not facing you & unload - With any aim, that's basically death incarnate.
    If a heavy throws a concussion grenade, your opponent can not even turn or adjust aim all that properly in comparison.
    As well, if this panic takes more than 4-6 seconds, the entire EMP is pointless.

Carapace as well, is easily managed by medics - Unlike shield, it can be constantly restored, and is full upon revive.. both bars.
    Add in immunity to EMP's major effects, without even touching ability energy, and you basically are an easily regenerative tank from hell.

If the cloak's energy isn't drained, I doubt they'd be decloaked.
    If if, they can re-cloak near instantly - Good luck using an EMP ahead of you.
    So it becomes hell to clear a room from stalkers.
    And if you don't charge into a room within 4-6 seconds, the EMP was just worthless as hell.
    If the distance is enough to take that long, also useless - As not even ability energy is still recovering, it's just all there perfectly.

If there is any range, there is.
    As well, Considering that quite literally all an EMP does is shield damage, while with a frag grenade at the same range, I just instantly murder someone.

If an EMP is thrown, rather than disrupt the healing of medics in said room to disrupt the literal stream of health flooding back, negating a lot of damage in a hurry, all it does is drain shields - Add in any carapace, and it's less than useless.
    Medics also can run their heal for quite awhile, in addition often trigger it in any fight.
    IE the grenade literally does half the job, the medics ensure healing is non-stop, making shield loss negligible.

I don't see a problem with Occular, expect with paired with Carapace, and the whole immunity bit.
    5 seconds of total immunity, grand, means can throw Concussion grenades next to themselves without a damn.
    Which mind you, unlike EMP, restrict the opponent's controls, preventing them from simply moving or similar, keeping it effective even at a distance when engaging.

I have remarkable accuracy with EMPs & Grenades, over walls, roofs, and similar.
    If you can make the shot, you do it; Which can result in the targets not being in gun-sight range within 1-4 seconds.
    Any & Every EMP grenade against a Carapace is worthless.
    All it takes is one of them, and that's an opponent untouched, and unknowable until thrown.

Add in Occular, and all it takes is a second to pop a kit, and ta da... Jack **** can be done.

EMPs have one effect that can't be simply rendered null by practice now: Shield Loss.
    That singular trick, has a direct counter with the only draw-back being no auto-regeneration of the outer layer.
    Occular is grand by itself, add in carapace, and the Infil's only specialty grenade is worth than useless.
    While the heavy's is effective in absolute, till someone pops a Medkit under occular right before.
    If that's the one throwing it, well you're ******.
  5. Daigons

PC Hotfix - 6/14
    • Killing vehicles should once again count toward weapon medal credit.
    FFS I could have used this fix while I was working on the Fury-F. So many missed vehicle kill counts.