Would a "FPS" mouse make a difference?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by that_darn_lurker, Feb 11, 2013.

1. LameFox

Seems more accurate this way...
  2. Mrasap

I roll with a Razor Naga because that´s what I´m most comfortable with after playing a lot of MMORPGs. Turns out I can make good use of the side buttons for several hotkeys in this game aswell (pitch up, pitch down, roll left, roll right, grenade, knife, equip weapon, several broadcast channels).

It all boils down to what you are most comfortable with really..
  3. Benton!

I use the cheap mouse that came free with my computer. I can still aim really well (twitch aim) and can dominate in some CQB games I play, although not this game which is kinda strange...
  4. Zagz

Your mouse pad should be large and slightly textile. I wouldn't go with an all rubber one or a plastic pad. Compressed fiber mouse pad is usually a favorite for many. It's comfy, great quality and accurate! - Some may prefer plastic and such, that's still up to your taste but I find that these materials can vary in quality due to dust and other possible crap.

Mouse... well. Razer is a safe bet in terms of quality but if you're on a budget, you'll quickly frown at their prices. So what should you do? - Go to a hardware store and try out various mouse at various price and find one that suits your hand and feel. As for the weight, don't be afraid to just gently open your mouse and stick 2 or 3 weights on the back sides of the mouse. Fishing weights are good enough :p

It's a bit DIY but it works!
  5. that_darn_lurker

Thanks for the replies everyone and keep them coming. I'm sure this is really helpful to a lot of people. I remember seeing how easy the guy making the tutorials made this game look, only to start playing and find out it wasn't like that at all.

And to those wondering why on Earth I'd use vegetable oil on my mouse, I got the idea from a similar product out there that's supposed to reduce mouse to mouse pad friction. Honestly, it didn't make any difference one way or the other. I only tried this hoping it would alleviate the herky-jerky motion that my mouse gets all the time.
  6. kamikaze1975

I use a naga too and had same issues. Already had a decent mat so knew it was not that.

Then did some research and found the best setting for me at 1300 dpi and think 35 send in game.

I think it also makes a difference the resolution u play at as well. I play on 1080p on a tv.

Also make sure all mouse acceleration is off or zero and turn raw mouse input on.

Hope that helps. I went from ****e to being able to hold my own
  7. HerpTheDerp

Ball mice user here, come at me bro.

Look, it's a goddamn mouse. The only simpler device to be found in your computer is the keyboard. You will not become a better player with a more expensive one, and a cheap one will not "limit your skill". CPI in thousands, fifteen buttons, adjustable weights, lights, rubber grips, macros, it's all marketing nonsense that ultiamtely doesn't matter jack ****. There is literally one(1) factor you should consider when buying a mouse: does it feel comfortably in your hand. Yes? Then that's your new mouse, even if you found it at Wallmart for ten bucks.
  8. AnnPerkins

I don't think I could play without all those buttons on the side of my mouse. Keeping the left hand on WASD for movement is a tremendous help. Probably the most important factor regardless of type of mouse you're using is the mousepad. Keeping a clean area for your mouse is #1.

I used to just clean an area on my desk and use it there but I ended up being so uhhh... intense with my mouse that chips of the coating of the desk came off and left a not very stable area to work with. I got a nice wide mousepad specifically designed for laser mice for probably way more than I should have paid but $15 really doesn't hurt my pocket that much.
  9. Brickwalker

I have the Naga and a R.A.T 7(FPS mouse)

Thought I'd try the RAT with PS2.Never liked it really,too clunky for my tastes,felt like I did worse with it than the Naga..

so I changed back
  10. Sorusi

What you wan't to look for in a mouse for a FPS game is:

• Low weight (makes tracking targets _alot_ easier)
    • Shape
    • Sensor type (generally Optical is to prefer)

Here is a thread regarding different sensors in mice: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=2025169

DPI is not that important and wireless mice are completely out of the question.