Would a "FPS" mouse make a difference?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by that_darn_lurker, Feb 11, 2013.

1. that_darn_lurker

I'm currently running a Razor Naga that I originally bought to play traditional 1-2-3-4-5 button mash MMOs with. It's a fine mouse, to be sure, but I'm either not getting the most out of it or its just not up to the task. My mouse movements seem too "jerky" at times, so to counteract this I adjusted the DPI sensitivity up to smooth it out, but now it just moves way to slow across the screen for me to be effective. I also find it hard to pan left or right without getting a slight vertical wobble. I've even tried other tricks like putting a light coat of vegetable oil on the bottom of my mouse, but that doesn't seem to help.

Then I see these videos of people that can easily hone in on their target(s) while compensating for recoil, flinch AND cone of fire. To me they look like hackers, based on my personal experience, so I've reported a few of them. Yet here they are weeks later still posting on the forums and making their videos, so they must be legit pro gamers. What are they doing? What are they using? How are they using it?

Thanks in advance.
  2. applecherry

It depends. I am using a fps gaming mouse and have set it to high polling rate and dpi so that I can achieve high precision when aiming.( every pixel counts). This is even more important as I play as an infiltrator most of the time.

[IMG]
  3. Yago

Just find the sensitivity that suits you .
    Take some time trimming the sliders for each mode (grunt , driver , pilot etc) , and test , you'll get there eventually .

I am using a "gaming" mouse and I don't think you'll find a magical answer there , unless your current mouse is broken or cr@p beyond belief !
  4. Johnnyseven

I've got a £25 mouse (Sharkoon Fireglider, I hear the black one is better but I have the dodgy flame decal one) that I've had for probably two years now. It has two extra buttons on the thumb side and one button that cycles through DPI settings.

It is by far and away the best mouse I have ever had.

Don't go looking specifically for mice that advertise themselves as gaming or FPS mice right in your face, they generally just end up being average performance for above average cost.

As long has you get a laser mouse with adjustable DPI you should be fine. As for actual sensitivity settings its all personal preference, I have different preferences for different games but tend to have it all fairly low.
  5. Sevre

I have a NAGA, too. I got it back when I was big into Dota2. I find it jerks sometimes, but then I clean off the mousepad and It's fine. I think it may be your pad more than the mouse, at least that's my case every now and then. For the most part it's perfect.
  6. LameFox

What... the ****... ಠ_ಠ

You can't 'compensate' for cone of fire, at least not with mouse movement. Either you get closer, stop moving so it shrinks, or fire in bursts. None of this being an issue with the quality of your mouse.

Also, I don't know what exactly is causing the issues with yours, but I don't think it's inherent to the design, because that stuff is just weird. It's almost like it's got filth in the laser (like... vegetable oil. Seriously what the ****?) but I would think this would be pretty obvious from looking at it, so idk.
  7. Dubious

High DPI settings on mouse, low sensitivity in-game, works for me
  8. Nocturnal7x

Try raising DPI and lowering in game sensitivity. Also try lowering DPI and raising in game sensitivity. Adjust as needed. If you have trouble keeping up with targets you either need to up DPI/up in game sensitivity. If you are over shooting targets lower dpi/sensitivity as needed.

Someone should make a guide to calibrating your mouse for FPS games.
  9. AnotherNoob

"FPS mice" is a joke, there are different kinds of mice, dependent on which grip you use, how heavy you want it to be etc. That's not to say that fps mice can't be good, its just that they don't have any inherent quality that make them more fps-ish. I'd say that as long as it costs above $20, it all comes down to if you like the feel of it.
    For reference
  10. Hodo

I run a Razor Lachise, its comfirtable which is most important. The other thing I love is the fact that I can change the DPI on the fly, so if I want more sensitive movement I can click a button if I want less. It is great when you get used to it.
  11. siiix

i got the WoW mouse just for this game , i do not recommend it , way to sensitive and 22 buttons ended up more then i hoped for... it was over kill... and the amount of buttons just get in the way

i dont think this game really needs a good quality mouse... any laser mouse will do just fine
  12. Taiji

Hi, I don't get money for playing games, it's the other way around. So I'm no professional. But I am often good in ways that'll get me called hacker by new players. Basically If I didn't think I was the kind who you were talking about then I wouldn't respond, unlike some of the posters above.

If your mouse movement is too jerky then you have it set too sensitive. If you lower your sensitivity until it's not too jerky, but you have problems aiming - that's called sucking :p

BTW I had a razer mouse a while back and found it really bad for me (-didn't get called hacker much any more :() so maybe I suck in the same way ;) (tho i didn't have a deathadder, which is the only razer i've ever heard good things about from people I'd listen to)

I use a Zowie EC1 at the moment. It's great in many ways (no driver app BS, very low lift sensor, hardware adjustable USB polling, 3 dpi settings on mouse but none of them are stupidly high crap for fools impressed by bigger numbers, etc. etc.) . But it has a doubleclicking mouse4, and mouse3 sometimes clicks while wheeling. Lasted around 2 years before breaking like this. Wouldn't recommend it for that reason - shoddy buttons can get you killed over and over before you even realise there is a problem.

My buddy has a nice new corsair mouse, seems nice and sturdy, might get one myself... :)
  13. Warchild66

I find this post reminds me of myself when I made the jump to some serious FPS time. I felt the same, players Video's looked like they almost snap and I was always over shooting where I wanted to point. Here is what I discovered with some trial, error, rage and frustration. It's all opinion so doesn't count for much but...

Like Dubious I ended up with High DPI and low in game sensitivity. This meant I didn't have to move my mouse far but it still stayed accurate. I could "spin" fast just like a high sensitivity, but could still put my mouse where I wanted it because low sensitivity made it less twitchy.

I also replaced my mouse pad, nothing high end, but mine was worn and dirty so my mouse didn't glide and read as well.

Hope those help because I know exactly how you are feeling...it will get better once you nail that sensitivity for yourself.
  14. MaxDamage

If you're going mouse, go Logitech.

I still use cursor keys, hard habit to break from Doom.
  15. TheEvilBlight

Playing on an non-gamer Logitech M510 wireless mouse. It's meh for very fine-grain movements, which means I have no future as a CQB triple-tapper headshotting SMG/carbineer.

I need a better computer well before I need a better mouse.
  16. Disparu

An fps laser mouse would not be fair on people with ball mice. Soe will be forced to limit anyone who has a mouse less than 5 years old due to this. They will probably dynamically make your targetting reticle vanish and say that in big battles shooting people accurately just isnt very important.
  17. Duvenel

I just thought I'd ask this, but do any of you have the "reduce input lag" option turned on?...
  18. Agent 47

I stopped using gaming mouse/mice ever since my diamondback died. They're not worth the price, you're just paying way more for cosmetics and higher dpi sensors; i assume it gives much precise accuracy, either way the difference is small and i can live with my 20 bucks logitech kb/ms bundle than buying a 200 bucks worth of those.
  19. MadRon101

Agreed, I have the naga too and find when it starts jerking just cleaning the laser fixes it right up.
  20. MadRon101

Hehehehe, this.