why should i play any other class? [HA Rant!]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Shocky, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Shocky

It is at this point that i must rant about the HA because i'm sick of them!!!! And their imbalanced Bull ****!!!!!

Heavy assault is the biggest contributor to imbalance both infantryside and vehicleside. Now it's not the fact that it has an LMG or rocket launcher it's the fact that they have both and the heavy shield. An overpowered shield on top of the default shield and health bar. whether you use the nano shield or resist shield makes no difference as when compared to other infantry, the heavy has the advantage in most if not all circumstances they might be caught off guard by a light assault or infiltrator but even in those cases the heavy can still win unless they are already weakened or EMPed.

The other imbalance with the HA comes with the rocket launcher, now the rocket launcher its self isn't the imbalance it's the fact that it's on the heavy. why is it imbalanced because its on the HA? well as the HA is the only class other then the MAX that has AA capabilities (no the rocklet rifle does not count do to the nature of it and how close you must get to use it effectively) and happens to be the best at infantry combat makes it imbalanced why play anything else when this class can do it all!!! and do it well.

Because of the fact that they have access to LMGs which are already good at getting easy kills even post nerf but they also have access to shotguns, SMGs and the faction battle rifle. heck they can even use their pistol as primary if they want. but on top of that the HA can also trade their regular grenade with a disabling concussion grenade, even if the target of said grenade could hit the heavy after being affected by it, the shield would negate the futile attempt to hopefully kill the heavy. Heavy has far gone past the point of being a jack of all trades and master of none to being a master at anti infantry, Air deterrent and ground vehicle harass. note It doesn't even need a medic because of medkits, so the question remains why the hell should i play any other class when this can do everything?
    • Up x 5
  2. ColonelChingles

Simply make the rocket launcher and the LMG take up the same slot.

Want to fight enemy vehicles? Well, hope you don't run into infantry because all you have is a pistol.
    Want to fight enemy infantry? Better pray that you don't run into any heavy vehicles, because that LMG is going to do nothing to a tank.

So you get AI infantry that are countered by vehicles and AT infantry that are countered by regular infantry. Balance!
    • Up x 1
  3. Devilllike

And then the funny thing is they cry about infiltrators been OP hahaha
  4. Liewec123

compare HA to other classes and its clear that you should play others in other situations.

straight up face to face?
    sure, play HA.

point holding?
    i much prefer engi, what can HA do, survive 3 extra bullets? woo?
    engi can set up a spitfire to act as an alarm, supplement their damage and be a distraction, you can place AI mines, you can resupply teammates ammo and you have 2 second faster recharge on your shield, making engi a much better option for point holding imho.

skirmishing?
    i prefer light assault, being able to attack the enemy from angles which they don't expect is invaluable imho,
    worth much more than the ability to survive 3 bullets.

AV?
    again these days i'm leaning more towards LA and engi,
    if i'm at any hex adjacent to a hex with a biolab (sometimes even 2 hexes away if the jump pads are speedy ones)
    every single MBT and lightning is a free kill for me.
    LAs are the ultimate sundy killers now, even being able to take down shield sundies with a little prep and the correct combo,

for general AV purpose i think engie trumps heavy, you have to be really good at aiming, arcing and leading targets to hit moving enemies beyond 30m with a rocket launcher, it is easy peasy with AV mana turret, and your range is all the way out to 300m, you have infinite ammo and have a far shorter TTK than rocket launchers. (except maybe new masamune)

HA isn't the jack of all trades people claim it is, they can take 3 extra shots and they're good at killing maxes and pestering vehicles.
    • Up x 9
  5. Okaydan

I'm sorry, but my LMG + 3 bullet extra to tank make me kill you so dead, your 2 seconds shield recharge bonus is not going to matter. I will kill you, your turret, your ammo pack and your mines in 1 mag and then pop a medkit so I can teabag you for another 2 seconds while tanking fire.

While this works for outdoor/open bases and smaller fights, it won't work against the elites, leaves you vulnerable to air, no one can res you up there and in the end you're not doing much useful either.

Please elaborate how a lone LA is going to kill my shield sundy, unless it's completely abandoned for over a minute? And while slingshots can work against stationary targets, its not going to do much against harassers, or any tank worth their ****. I'd take my lancer for open field AV any day over LA or engi (especially since the nerf of AV turret).

Yeah, you are also stationary for the entire duration and your render distance increases for everyone in the hex (including long range snipers). Any rocket is going to kill you while on the turret, even if it would NOT kill you with a regular direct hit (looking at you phoenix). The only advantage the AV turret has over long range rocket launcher (lock, lancer, and somewhat masamune) is the infinite ammo. But I'm glad you're the sole engineer to provide ammo while the rest are actually doing things that impact the battle.

They can also kill fast and many before reloading, and can literally face off to anything in the game. That makes them a jack-of-all-trades by definition: it can do all of it. It might not always be the best choice in each scenario, but that's not the issue. The issue is that there are hundreds of scenario's out there in Auraxis. And Heavy can deal with any of them to a certain degree.

Good luck shooting that lib with your repair tool. Must be very useful to throw a C4 on that halberd harasser up on the mountain. And man, that res tool so effective against that lock-down prowler.
  6. freeAmerish

With enough friendlies around.

Otherwise this fits perfect.
  7. FieldMarshall

This may just be me, but in combat i perform better as LA than HA in most situations except head-on 1v1 (and AV/AA ofcourse).
    I have been doing the LMG directive the past two weeks and i constantly find myself in situations where i miss out on free farm because im not LA.
    Quickly scaling towers, free kills from rooftops, quickly avoiding chokepoints and deathtraps etc.

Im not saying HA sucks, but there are reasons to play something other than HA.
    • Up x 6
  8. Eternaloptimist

OK, it's a rant so we shouldn't be looking for an objective assessment. That's fine.

My views - HA is exceptionalluy good at hurting things (which is their job, after all). But their ability and tool (overshield and RL) are designed to help them hurt things, rather than being helpful or a good cert earner like shield device, auto heal, ammo pack, repair gun, medic gun, hacking, recon darts cloak.

There is a trade off between being a damage class with less cert gain or a support class with more cert gain. Arguably, LA is similar to HA as jump jets and rocklet are not, in themselves, cert generators but are intended to make the LA more dangerous to others.

Personally, I find CQC carbines (better hipfire) and ARs (more accurate at medium / long range) to be more deadly overall than the LMG. It is when you combine the LMG and the overshield that the 1 v 1 infantry fight in particular is skewed towards the HA.

It is a minor peeve of mine that I can run with a 0.75 ADS, high RoF carbine with advanced laser sight and SPA but I am still likely to lose in CQC due to attrition (the HA can take damage longer than I can even though I am most likely landing more bullets).

But that's just how it goes sometimes.

It is entirely up to you. You want to run around killing things but not earn so many certs - HA. Ditto but in more innovative ways - LA. Otherwise play another class for the wider variety of things they can do (and earn more certs into the bargain).

Or do what I do - play whichever class you're in the mood to play or the class most needed on the battlefiled at the time. I've played up to three different classes in the same battle, to reflect the changing situation.
  9. JonnyBlue

I'm a newer player who plays HA I really struggled with this class at first but now I'm getting used to it and enjoy the class as long as I don't go CQC I can survive and get some kills I'm still on the Gauss Saw which is like a brick to lift in CQC , I now use resist shield but even with it on I still die quick but then again I'm not a pro player.

I should imagine a very good player using the HA class will be good but isn't this game about risk vs reward if your in the thick of the fighting isn't that where a HA excels at .

LA can use angles and drop a HA , Medics get fast firing Assault guns that hit hard , Infiltrators have stealth and snipers , I really don't understand how you think there op , My HA gets dropped all the time by faster firing guns 1v1.

I think your presuming that everyone is at the same skill level if you came across my HA I would be easy pickings to you but I play for fun this isn't a job for me.

Just my opinion ...thx
  10. Liewec123

its not worth arguing with folks who think that HAs are gods,
    just know that my experience of pointhold with engi against heavies goes nothing like that...
    • Up x 4
  11. zaspacer

Medic - F2P noobs to get Certs, Hardcore Organized rez loop, spawn momentarily for a quick heal, spawn momentarily to revive that dude you ran over with your Sunderer

Engineer - drive/fly most Vehicles, full-time crew most vehicles, repair turret/terminal/vehicle/max, put a bunch of mines in the road, blow up a deserted enemy Sunderer

LA - sneaky kill close Tanks and Sunderers, Beacons, Air bail assault

Infiltrator - hack terminal/turret, radar, Stalker sidegame fun, Stalker survivor, Wraith Flash sideagame fun, extreme range sniper sidegame fun, elite aimer close range sniper, small-mid size fight sneaky CQC SMG

HA - anti-Infantry (except extreme range), anti-air, mid-far range Ground Vehicle pressure, close range Ground Vehicle swarm kill

What am I missing?
    • Up x 2
  12. FateJH

MAX.
  13. zaspacer

I can try and make one for the *old* MAX. I don't know the MAX that well. How have the recent changes changed them?

Old MAX - rush the point, Biolab sidegame farm, spawnroom bound AA, Sunderer bound air deterant, Hardcore Organized Gal drop spam anti-Constructed Base, Raven Ground AV
  14. Okaydan

I'm not saying they are gods. Far from it. I'm saying they are good at many things, while not sucking at most. This means in most cases a heavy will do, unless you need a specific job done. Denying this with anecdotal evidence is just as strong an argument as saying "heavies suck because I can't kill dudes with it".

Btw, I have most playtime as engineer. If you deduct 100% of vehicle playtime from engineer (which would be incorrect since I drive as heavy/infil too), it's 19% heavy, 16% engi, 14% LA. I know engineers aren't useless. I know their perks. And I'd rather have 10 heavies than 10 engineers on an A point. Better would be 2 engi's, 2-3 medics, a max, an infil and the rest heavy. I don't need LA's on an A point.

Opinions differ :)
  15. FPSedin

I'm the only one thinking that HA actually need a buff?
  16. Liewec123

though if you had 10 engies thats either 10 spitfires or better, 10 AI turrets, you could guard every entrance with 3 AI turrets and melt anything that enters. :)
    • Up x 2
  17. freeAmerish

That´s why a lot of people complain that they have no real downsides.

Indeed we need more Heavyside...
  18. OldMaster80

I play the other classes because they are more fun. Anyone can get good kills with a LMG. Doing the same with a MANA AI and a burst carbine... that's stuff for real men.
  19. stalkish

Ever noticed all those red dots on the radar showing you exactly when the enemy is going to enter and where from? It wasnt a HA who provided that.

Ever seen a squad beacon on top of a tower antenna? It wasnt a HA who put that up there.

Ever been killed while guarding a point, then magincally came back to life afterwards, still on point and ready to go again? It wasnt a HA who did that for you.

Ever run out of rockets while shooting enemy vehicles from a rooftop? It wasnt a HA who provided you with more.

You might not be able to think of a reason to play something else, but in order to continue your kill whoring you should damn well be greatful that others can figure it out.
    • Up x 5
  20. Crayv

Exactly.

The thing with HA is they are not a force multiplier the way engies, medics, and infils can be. So to make up for this their "force" value is simply higher.
    • Up x 3