[Suggestion] Why is this game set in the future?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CursoryRaptor, Mar 28, 2015.

1. CursoryRaptor

Why is this game even set in the future?

We fight on a level of capability that's waaay below than what we were capable of as far back as 1950. Our aircraft can be outrun by some of today's cars and they fight using guns and unreliable missiles with poor guidance. Our tanks are slow, made out of paper, and fire shells at laughably low velocity, and can't fire missiles at all. Our infantry seem incapable of understanding the concept of camouflague, fortification, or the fact that tracers work both ways, and some of their rockets travel slower than some of the spitballs I've fired back when I was in high school. Our bases are indefensible, and nobody seems to be able to figure out how to turn off the teleporters that allow the enemy into your base.

Oh, and nobody on Auraxis seems to have invented any really high tech gadgets like doors, sand bags, concertina wire, mirrors (to look around corners), ghillie suits, or binoculars... ... ...

So I ask again. Why is this game set in the future?
    • Up x 6
  2. FateJH

Because, reduced map scale and technical limit stuffs.
    That's is the beginning and end of it.

If you want ultra-realism, go play Arma and I say that encouragingly. I hear the third version is coming along nicely.
    • Up x 2
  3. QQlazors

So they can make this excuse:

Nanites.™
    • Up x 4
  4. DashRendar

Binoculars might be a good class utility for LA. Infil too maybe.
  5. ZZYZX

I've said this since PS1. Our range finders and weapon aiming systems are LESS advanced than what was used in World War 2.

Such a bummer.
  6. Pikachu

Because it makes better gameplay.
    • Up x 6
  7. CursoryRaptor

How so?
  8. _itg

I wasn't aware they had infinitely-respawning supersoldiers and magic tank dispensers in 1950.
  9. CursoryRaptor

That seems to be the only reason for the whole distant future thing. Yet in something like Battlefield (and just about every other MMO out there) people just respawn, and nobody seems to give a damn that the impossible happened. Yet it seems the developers of Planetside decided to have the setting in the distant future specifically to explain respawning.

Then they add a method of warfighting that was getting old even back in WW2.

That does not make sense to me.
    • Up x 2
  10. Crowne

This isn't future Earth though right? Maybe I'm confusing lores with another game.

I thought this was the future of a distant colony that had lost contact with Earth for some reason?
    The Terran Republic wants to maintain affiliation to the Old Earth and believe we'll eventually get back.
    The Vanu have decided the way forward is to, uhm, explore alien probes :p
    The NC believe we don't need to change our genetics as the Vanu might suggest, but we also don't need to hold on to the ways and traditions of Old Earth as TR might suggest.

All that said, some technology is advanced such as respawning, rapid gal drops, drop-pods, etc.
    Other technology is what we've all managed to piece together using what we had left after the disconnection with Old Earth.

The Vanu have the most advanced, or at least different, technology because they've embraced alien technology... or so they say. For all I know, they have some hidden Old Earth engineers stashed in their basement cranking out what is actually just current, Old Earth technology.
    • Up x 1
  11. Regpuppy

It's an interesting backdrop/theme for their game, based on a previous game that some people apparently liked. One that is probably, at least slightly, more interesting than WW2-based game #548239. Does there really NEED to be a reason a developer picks a certain theme for their game, other than what they think will catch attention or even just their own whims?

It's an arcade-y shooter, it's not a big deal. As someone else pointed out, if you want hyper-realism, Arma or something similar is what you want.
  12. Flamberge

Because our computers are not at the 2300s level.
  13. Tiili

So, nukes?

Players would log into a command bunker, a random guy would be selected as the supreme commander and could press a big red button to end the game.

Because it's realistic, there would be a nuclear winter 24/7, you couldn't go outdoors because of radiation, and your character would slowly starve to death because nobody can grow food in such a hostile environment.

Sounds like a fun game to play :D

Naw but seriously, why do you want a ghillie suit when you have a cloaking device?
    • Up x 5
  14. Breadsticks

A few simple reasons why.

1. Nanites. 'Nuff said
    2. Realism? We've got people with floating tanks firing at people with TV rockets firing at people with fighters firing explosive bullets.
    3. They're all invincible, meaning no one probably cares about making stuff to save lives and instead focuses on running out of the warpgate ASAP and killing more stuff
    4. SC
  15. CursoryRaptor

I want a ghillie suit because a properly prepared ghillie suit doesn't require batteries to make you invisible. So I could snipe while invisible with only a muzzle flash (unless I'm using a suppressor) and a tracer to give away my position. Granted, I'd stick out like a (shaggy green) sore thumb.

YES! NUKES FOR THE REPUBLIC!

I want nuclear air-to-air missiles like this AIR-2 Genie. They had thousands of these in the late 1950s, so I want some on my Mosquito. :p
    [IMG]
  16. Flamberge

That's why you stockpile Twinkies. They can make it through anything. Nuclear war, zombies, bankruptcy...
    • Up x 3
  17. Ballto21

For base design, all the bases were constructed by Nanite Systems, the big corporation of auraxis and the leading firearms dealer.

Since they only care about profit, and they make their profits in the endless war on Auraxis. they want to do everything in their power to keep it going. By designing bases difficult to defend, this guarantees that the base would not be held for any extended periods of time by one faction, meaning more fights happen at those bases more often, meaning more bullets, guns, and nanite usage is used and sold, meaning more profit fast.
    • Up x 3
  18. Breadsticks

Have you considered how they're going to spend those "profits"? In case you haven't noticed, there's no way of getting back to Earth.
    http://nanitesystemscomics.com/comic/34
  19. Ballto21

They spend it on buying materials to make more guns to sell to the soldiers to make profits to buy more materials to make guns to sell to soldiers
  20. CursoryRaptor

Maybe it's time for all three factions to take on Nanite Systems. (Watch NS territory be populated by the only defensible structures on Auraxis. Sure, they'd be outnumbered 3 to 1, but against a prepared defensive position, numbers don't matter nearly as much.

...actually, that would be pretty epic if the devs did something like that as a special event.
    • Up x 1