Why is the "active" on the Ripper 10 times louder than the Carver and Lumine Edge?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tilderx, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Jolanar

The target is not the problem. It is what happens AFTER the target. If you manage to get into a group of occupied individuals, the other two knives make less sound and will ultimately keep the assailant from being noticed. You swing the chainblade once, and the entire group of infantry suddenly know there is a snake in the grass.
    • Up x 1
  2. Demigan

The teeth of a chainsaw barely produce any sound, it's the combustion engine that makes it. Seeing that we have internal energy systems to recharge our shields that work without a combustion engine, the knife could work on a similar powersource as the NC one which simply vibrates quickly (I wonder what tech they retrofitted for that one :eek:)
    • Up x 1
  3. Tilderx

you are correct. if you watch stalker videos, all the "top skill" players have their knives off right before the kill, especially the TR players... because the TR HAVE too. but I've seen videos of VS and NC stalkers who never bother to turn off their knives while waiting in stealth for their targets and they go totally unnoticed. you can never do that with the Ripper.

but that's not the point. We are not discussing skill level of players using them or the general "correct" way to use them whether you consider yourself a skilled player or not. We are definitely NOT talking about how and why TR should compensate the way they need to play to over come the disadvantage of what should be a "common pool" weapon like NS weapons.

the point is that 2 knives clearly have an unfair advantage over the Ripper in sound. And seeing as the majority of gameplay with these knives comes from playing Infiltrator in a stealth CQC, being able to go unnoticed in stealth with your weapon already active is a huge bonus.
  4. Tilderx

agreed. I own a small, corded electric chainsaw. The only noise it makes are from the teeth whizzing around the blade. Granted, it is a very noticeable noise. But its no where near as loud as the smallest gas powered chainsaw motor.
  5. Leftconsin

That's what I do too. But I never hear the activation either. I think this might be yet another derived problem of how hit detection works. You activate the knife decloak and swing fast enough that the target is on the death screen before the warning sound.
  6. CorporationUSA

Yeah it's pretty annoying. Not sure what they were thinking with that one. Not sure what they were thinking with a lot of design choices in this game.
  7. Moonheart

In a game that try to give differences between factions, it is bound that you always have advantages, but also weaknesses that opponents don't have...
    This is not supposed to be removed because it's what make the "factions flavor", so complain about it is pointless.

The way such a game is balanced is by giving other weaponry different weakness than the ones you have. If you don't look at them, you will never understand that you are not overall disadvantaged and just spend your days crying on forums pointlessly.

When you swing a Lumine Edge, you certainly warn less the opponent team than with the Ripper... however, due to the niftly lightsaber effect move that draws eyes even from people standing at 100m from you, you quite often recieve a nice volley of bullet from people that with a ripper wouldn't have even noticed you.

Is it better or worst than the Ripper's sound? According to the statistics, it looks about the same.
    You have to worry to cover the sound of your blade, we have to worry about LoS of people at range much more than you when we use ours.
  8. Gutseen

Oi, got meh chat wit de boyz, so we agreez on making chopa knife LOUDER
    if it will violate any scrubz ears (friendly or enemy) if his sound options are higher then 10% (thus making it impossible playing with any sound)

why?

CUZ RED GOES FASTA !11
    AND LOUDAR!!
  9. Jolanar

The Lumine Edge lightsaber effect is barely noticeable. You are not able to see it more than 10m away. None of the faction knives have any perceivable advantages over the others, but a loud chainsaw is certainly a downside.
  10. Tilderx

any possibility of getting a comment on this from RadarX or another Dev? Some acknowledgement on the unequality of the Power Knives would be nice. I understand it might not be a top priority to fix. But it would be nice to know that a dev has read this and either agreed that its unfair and will be put on the list of things to fix, or, that the TR knife loudness is fine and an explanation why TR's knife will stay louder than the others.
  11. AlterEgo

All power knives should OHK, but now have ES properties.
    VS one reaches a greater length.

TR one can be swung faster.

NC one can fire a shotgun shell containing nanite-grade shotguns.
    • Up x 1
  12. Syphers

I difer I prefer clean weapons
  13. Syphers

And ya the loud swing sound is quite a drawback, having to activate it beforehand all the time can be too. "Sneaky" being the word for an infiltrator and knives in general, it's questionably unprofitable over the regular knives.