Why is the "active" on the Ripper 10 times louder than the Carver and Lumine Edge?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tilderx, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Tilderx

so, as we all know, the Ripper (TR), Carver (NC), and Lumine Edge (VS) are the 3 faction knives that can be "activated" to do One Hit Kills on infantry. When you activate the secondary on the knife, it "emits a LOUD sound", according to it's description.

Why is it that the TR Ripper's active sound is sooooooooo much LOUDER and more grating when compared to the sounds of the Carver and L-Edge?

Sure, the Ripper is a mini chainsaw, we all know what that sounds like. But to be fair, the other knives should have active sounds just as loud and irritating as the Ripper. The current active sounds of the VS and NC knives are so subtle, you barely notice it, even if you are the one wielding it. Meanwhile, the active on the Ripper can be heard from across most bases.

Or, the Ripper's sound should be changed to be as low and subtle as the other 2 knives. Sure, the sound of a gas powered chainsaw sounds badass and all. But there's no reason that the TR couldnt have a whipser quiet "electric" chainsaw knife.

Go ahead and load up VR training and test out each of the knives. Definitely not equal.

this was originally posted on reddit, but i wanted to get opinions from the PS2 community who might not visit that site. Also hoping that a Dev will chime in about this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3ejji8/active_sound_on_ripper_carver_lumine_edge_not/
  2. Leftconsin

I've had a genuinely hard time hearing the Lumine Edge even when I knew someone was next to me using it.
  3. Thardus

Check the descriptions. Sure, the VS and NC knives may "omit" a loud sound, but does it maybe say "emit" for the TR one?
  4. Iridar51

I find it more hilarious that it produces the sound of internal combustion engine.

Microscopic combustion engines have been created before, but they don't sound like that, and they wouldn't create the necessary force.
  5. runtt

exactly the same as ps1
  6. AxiomInsanity87

Because it's TR.

It wouldn't be TR if it didn't have some kind of blatant drawback compared to the other 2 factions.

Any kind of issue we have with some of the blatantly unfair stuff we put up with is clearly a l2p issue.
  7. AxiomInsanity87

Oh and i like the noise lol.
  8. Distortedcolor

The TR one is a mini chainsaw, of course it's louder!
  9. FieldMarshall

Maybe they wanted it to feel like the PS1 knives.
    VS: vvvvwoahwoah...vvvvwoahwoah...
    NC: hmmmmmnnnmmmmhnmmm
    TR: FZXFZJITY*&A@YFB!KFOCKINHELLTHATSLOUDZHuNEJDEARBLEEDGANHD!!!!!
  10. Jubikus

Honestly i hear people switching to the knife more than the knife actives personally i try to keep the knife off untill im about to strike.
  11. Moonheart

Is the ripper louder?

Dunno, but the kill curves of the three knives looks to entwine nicely to my eyes:
    http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=kph&weapon1=271&weapon2=285&weapon3=286

So, 2 possibilities:
    1- you TR are such talented and extraordinary people that you succeed to match performance of NC/VS players with knives despite of being disadvantaged
    2- ripper's loud sound is an issue only in your imagination

Which is the most credible interpretation, I wonder....
  12. FocusLight

3- TR compensates by only using it in large and highly noisy battles where the sound is drowned out more easily.

TR adapts to the gear we got with everything else. Why not this?

BTW, your stats don't take into account how many users the weapons have, and If we check that...

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=uniques&weapon1=271&weapon2=285&weapon3=286

Vanu has by far the largest pool of users.

This is where I state that this is "obviously" because the Lumin Edge is the least audible of the 3 weapons so it has more use, even if so many other explanations might exist.

Hell, the average BR of the people using these weapons is also higher for TR...

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=avgbr&weapon1=271&weapon2=285&weapon3=286

And yet VS has a far higher kill-count with theirs than the opposition, by far. I guess thsoe lower BR Vanu players are just that good, after all it can't possibly be that the Lumin Edge is easier to use because of the low noise?

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=kills&weapon1=271&weapon2=285&weapon3=286

It's use being much higher is also reflected in the stats...

http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=playtime&weapon1=271&weapon2=285&weapon3=286

What's my synopsis? The VS' one-hit blade is used more often, kills more often, by lower BR players, more often in total than the opposition. I wonder - could this be because the VS has the least draw-back on their weapon, as per usual? Hell, just listen to this:

Specifically, at 06:20 onward is the audio portion.
  13. ALN_Isolator

I'll take the barbed chainsaw over the lightsaber and vibrator knife any day. Mostly because of what happens to your body when you get stabbed with this thing compared to the other two knives.

Also have you tried turning it on only when you need it?
  14. SamReye

It's not as loud as it seems to the user. Besides, you should never be leaving an activated knife on unless you're ~3-4 feet away from your next target.

Due to latency, you can activate it and stab someone before they even hear the noise, provided it was equipped already.
  15. Moonheart

Are you aware that VS also get more uniques, more kills, more playtime with the QCX?
    Are you going to say it proves that the TR crossbow is less efficient than VS crossbow, too?

Learn to analyze statistics better.

KPH is Kill Per Hour played. i.e. the -ONLY- statistic on Oracle of Death that factor the population into the calculation to give a reflexion of the efficiency of a weapon without being biased by the differences in population.
    I did not take this statistic by accident: it is the only one that can be trust. And not just by my opinion, but by the general consensus of the player base since PS2 exist.

The fact is, according to this stat, the Ripper is as efficient as the Luminous Edge.

Like many people on this forum, you are prone to forget that facts that could counterbalance your disadvantages....
    Yes, that's awful, your target could hear a bit more easily with your Ripper if there is not enough noise around.... but at least, swinging it doesn't draw attention of foes around like if you were waving a torchlight before their eyes. Do you have any ******* idea how much light the Lumine Edge produce when activated?

That's not a covert op weapon the VS have, but a friggin lightsaber!
  16. SamReye

I could just as easily say that because VS on average has 1.5x more players using the knife, they also have on average 1.5x kills of the other factions, and the evidence wouldn't disagree with me.

Perhaps it has to do with people using infil more on VS, or that VS infiltrator has always been more pronounced than the other two factions' (thinking of the cinematic trailer right now).

The *average* BR doesn't necessarily mean anything, either, since the sample size for VS is so much larger.

I'd prefer if devs worked to improve hit detection and range with equipped knives than focusing on "balancing" them in their current state. :confused:
  17. Jolanar

I am just going to leave this link here. Listen to all 3. I may be a TR fan, but can you really listen to all 3 of these and tell me that the chainsaw is as quiet and just as noticeable as the other two?

This is not a discussion about stats. This is a discussion about how noticeable the different activatable sounds are. The grinding of a chainsaw is WAY more noticeable than the hum of a vibrating knife or a lightsaber.
  18. Stormsinger

Yeeeah - An NC infiltrator had me (or should have had me) the other day, when I was alerted to his presence by the sound of what I assumed to be explosive flatulence. I spun around in time to mow him down with my Zenith just as the knife was coming down, the poor guy never did manage to hit me.

I'm all for reducing knife volume (The fact that this sentence makes perfect sense amuses me to no end. :p )
    • Up x 1
  19. Jac70

Is this really an issue? I can count on one hand the amount of times I have been struck with one of these OHK knives.

Still I think that the sound profile for the knives should be re-worked. I think there should be a spin-up time for these OHK knives. Maybe a second, plus the spin-up audio should be quite loud. Once activated the noise should be less obvious but noticeable when an enemy is close, maybe within 2-3 metres. This would mean that activating the knife when close would be fatal but allow for someone to run with an active knife to get instakills. It would be a high risk strategy = high risk/reward.
  20. Moonheart

Once again: "and what?"
    If it doesn't make it less efficient, pointing it is a loss of time.

Plus, this small video doesn't made me feel it's louder except when it swings, but when it swings, this is supposed to be too late for the target.