Why is Planetside 2 losing so many players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jdono67894, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PutteFnask

Fail! The majority who signed up from the start and during Beta are not linked to Steam.
  2. Slyguy65

They need to advertise more or it will keep going down. COD has adverts, PS2 does not.
  3. Shinniok

You know what the community of a game i used to play ( Battleforge ) did? We advertised the game ourselves, spreading the word in facebook, Steam, and every game forum that each oof us visitted. It's a good way to advertise the game :B , it may not gain 500 players, but it'll keep the game relevant.
  4. Pikachu

COD is in the top of popularity is it not? It's like a pop game. Everybody knows it and plays it. Like Unreal Tournament back in it's day. Planetside 2 simple isn't on the same level.
  5. PutteFnask

Battleforge also bleed out due to lack of fixing glaring bugs or OP units in time. Adding new content while leaving bugs in place kills a game faster than just spending ALL dev time fixing bugs. It was addicting in the beginning buying boosters and hoping for a UR but in the end just a few choices were viable for winning a battle. They fixed some OP cards but introduced even bigger OP ones with new content ... the whole rollercoaster feel of the game balance just got tiresome.
  6. Ash87

The fact that many American players don't use steam, the majority of other countries that have the game Can't use steam... this doesn't just negate it as a relaible way to look at population, but it pretty much calls into question even using it as a measure of trends.

I've heard people say more and more they are moving away from steam because it ties up part of their processor, that they could negate if they just downloaded it from the PS2 website. That says to me that the Steam graph will continue to drop, regardless of what pop in the game is doing. Sirisian's work is much more reliable for finding trends of just getting the raw numbers for people playing. If your going to look at trends, look at that.
  7. Shinniok

The game died because it was not a supported one. But my point is that we could help a little in the promotion of the game :B
  8. chilly154

Where this prove? If it fails on steam it doesn't it mean the game is dead.

Not every pc gamer uses steam at all. It's actually small minority of the pc gamers that use it. So where the prove that's it dieing? Does the steam graph even count the chines players? I just think the steam graph is a really bad way of telling if this game is dieing. The only people who knows this is SOE it self.
  9. PutteFnask

Yes, I know and I did my part regarding BF but it didnt help much when the few ones I got to stay didnt wanna spend any money on the game due to the way the economy was set up. More cards should've been like the promo cards - non-transferable.

In regards to PS2 I think most mouth to mouth has been done already (as opposed to BF), now its up to the devs to decide what is more important. As for me - Im staying regardless of the bugs or pop imbalance issues because this game is what I've wanted ever since I first played BF2142. Spent quite a lot SC too since I really want to support it the best I can!
  10. Undeadfred

A huge issue with this game is the shooting mechanics. I never knew you could have so many guns in a game and yet make all of them feel so similar,

Another issue is just the shooting mechanics. Why the hell is the COF so high for so many guns, especially TR guns?

Lockon weapons are an issue to. If I had it my way ever lockon weapon would be removed from the game.
  11. Syllogy

When most of the guns in a specific class have the exact same characteristics, it makes getting more of them a pointless endeavor.

If you want some longevity in the game, allow players to swap factions (and keep their certs), and create a wider variety of weapons and utility items.
  12. Major

Too many constant changes in meta game leaving almost no real meta game at all other than go here or else a never ending heard of players will complain about ghost cappers lines all over the maps, takes too long to get anything done now, hackers, hackers, hackers. Bad personalities taking over the official boards, telling everyone off who didn't agree with them, like it or leave, so people left, agree with me or else you're a "ghost capper" too. ( The absurdity of this never ending moot arguement )

Many left because of these reasons, and then they tell others why they left, doesn't fare well for the community when it tears at itself.

Pretty sure I said the community would split into 2 camps over a certian issue, get to say I told you so, not that I wanted to.

But I'm sure it's because SOE hasn't advertised at every single gaming event there has been since pre-tech testing, must be this, this is the cause, yea, thats it.
  13. iWarsaw

Yep. They made the games main objectives: Add more guns so we can sell weapons!

The game isn't going to evolve with the way its being handled. You do the same thing every day. You have to ask why people are leaving?

Because the game is boring. It's all about the money. However you can make more money on micro transactions selling 20 dollar gold guns then having more people spend money on less things that are more relevant to the game. Things besides fire works. If someone comes unto a a MMO sized war shooter and sees all the weapons they have to sell, they're going to leave. The first thing they see is how this game is based on selling money. Even most of the bases on Esamir are now just giant walls. The game is very bland, and boring, and it's all about making money.

I should add the problem isn't making money, the problem is they wanted to make money first, then build a good game. If you build a good game, you'll make money. Not the other way around.
  14. Shinniok

Are u serious? This is a FREE to play game... FREE. And u get upset because the devs wants to sell stuff? Where do u think money come from? Secret hidden mines beneath SOE instalations? They made this HUGHE and absolutely great game FOR FREE. Jesus.-
  15. iWarsaw

I'm not upset with that. I'm upset with the extent they went with it. They've compromised the game to much with the micro-transactions. How is that not a problem? There's nothing wrong with selling stuff, but I don't want to buy the stuff they're selling. There's so frickin much of it.

Don't you think they saw this coming? I want to buy stuff, but why would I want to buy a gun if they're just going to release more, better guns? You can't praise them for making a free to play game because it's free. That doesn't justify the changes they made from Planet Side to Planet Side 2.

I've spent money on this game, so it aint free to me. That's why I'm so upset. I've spent 100$ on this game. That's a good years subscription for any other MMO so I have what ever right to complain, because I've spent money on this. I stopped spending money because the changes they add aren't dynamic. They need to bring back the base cores where you link your bases to the warpgate, which should of been in at the start.

Why shouldn't I be upset that I put money into the game, but they only thing they've really put into the game are half baked solutions. Take the Esamir redesign. Is it awesome? Yes! To bad a lot of the bases just became giant walls.

The game might be huge and free that doesn't make it good. That doesn't mean you can't complain when they screw things up.

If this free to play, huge game is so ******* awesome why is it still loosing players?
  16. Syllogy

SoE has massive amounts of resources, but the purse strings are kept tight. This is partly why the are successful, and mostly why people genuinely hate dealing with them.

If SoE's higher-ups had a better understanding of balancing game production against budget restrictions, PS2 would be much further along with many more features and a much more attractive business model.

However, their policy is to maintain a game as cheaply as possible so that it makes money and scrap it as soon as it becomes unprofitable.

The developers do what they can when they aren't fixing things, but sometimes it just isn't enough to stay ahead of the community's demand for more features.
  17. Syphers

I'm not talking about steam at all you can tell this from the in-game map activity. Roughly 1k to probably around 3k players during prime time x3 US servers
  18. Spude

How much did the SOE pay you ?
  19. Czuuk

This. It's not because they don't advertise. It's because they advertise like they're in indie developer supporting the personal friends of internet celebrities. And because they keep pooping on the little guys. Congrats for your continued support of the top 5% of the the gaming community. And thanks for erasing the rest of us from existence.
  20. Sebyos

Too many changes. What you buy and like ends up useless after a month and it became clear that it's not a pure coincidence. The game is solely made for money. Weapons are released for money. Balance changes every month for money and they were inches from making the most obvious pay to win feature I've ever seen. You basically feel like playing the WoW threadmill, always refreshing and upgrading your weapons just to then have to start all over again with the next update.

Plus let's be honest this is a broken FPS. You get annoyed quickly at how fast the TTK is and how bad the hit detection is. Most importantly, getting hit 2 seconds after ducking with less than 30ms and above 40 fps is not tolerable. I'm not a shooter guy and if I play a shooter, it better be one that works right not this garbage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.