Why is Planetside 2 losing so many players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jdono67894, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bape

geez game is under 15,000 players? that is horrible O_O.
  2. NyaR

Because the game was released as a Beta and most people are not patient or forgiving like us.
  3. NC_agent00kevin

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

Today, Tf2 had 3x the amounf of players PS2 does. TF2 is almost 6 years old now. Not many games retain player base like that.

At the time of me posting this, it has twice the players online as PS2 has (according to not so accurate stats) overall.

I just treat PS2 as a massive sandbox style TDM. No point in capping bases as they will just need re-capped tomorrow - or 30 min later. The big fights they advertise are plagued with bugs such as render distance issues and terrible framerates for all but the highest end PCs. Some weapons like the Skyguard are bugged and dont work half the time, other are bugged and work when they shouldnt - like Strikers ignoring flares/IR smoke (or reacquiring lock on their own) and clipping through terrain. (thats the beta part)

This game wasnt ready and something tells me they were running out of time and/or budget to start making a profit on it, so they shoved it out the door with an aggressively priced gun shop attached to it.

I havent left yet. I still play, despite all the things that put me within an inch of ragequitting. But when Holiday Season 2013 rolls around, they may just have a heluva time making me want to keep playing.
    • Up x 1
  4. ViXeN

Yeah, I don't play this game on Steam. I try to avoid Steam whenever possible.
    • Up x 2
  5. HadesR

To much time giving the game a noobification makeover to appeal to the CoD and soon to be console players, and not enough time spent deepening the game play.

So what we have is a game that is what 8-9 months out of release ? that's just as shallow as it was in Beta ..
    Wack-a-mole rinse repeat meaningless base captures ... That's the game and people become bored with it.

In their attempt to attract everyone they will just end up alienating everyone .. Both casual and hardcore, both console player and PS1 vet ... It's like it's a mongrel dog , made up of everything and nothing that doesn't know what it wants to be ..
    • Up x 2
  6. maxx

as people get tired of playing on servers that are unbalanced population wise. Don't want to spend time and money working on a new server.
  7. HadesR

Oh plus exploits ...

Hackers you can somewhat forgive SOE for not being fully on top of ... But exploits caused by bugs that have been around since Beta kinda get old in the end ...
  8. chilly154

I think this statistics aren't accurate. Only the devs know that this game failing or not. This game is closed to being a year alive and I still see big battles. Plus wouldn't SOE would only know this game is thriving or not. Would it be the against the rules of looking at other people data? Is that against the they're policies? It was said that over 1 million players log in planetside 2 every month. Even a head of SOE said that. So these steam statistics aren't accurate.
  9. Ssidistik

https://www.soe.com/status/

Peek times I see all servers hit medium and one or two hit high.
    Steam only logs people who use that POS 3rd party resource hog.

If your looking for a game with 23497030945830948657 people go ahead play with all the other lemmings and follow the masses. Imo I have fun here and if you do not bye.. But quit with the " this is dead" "that is dead" BS and play.

P.S. Planetside1 server is always low. Still not shut down. Still not dead!
    • Up x 1
  10. Crashmatusow

game has been dumbed down to a crappy battlefield TDM mode clone that gouges you for money, that's why.
  11. maxkeiser

As far as I'm aware most people aren't even playing through STEAM. I've never used steam.

A discussion on the KOTV outfit chat yesterday indicated that most didn't use Steam.
    • Up x 1
  12. itzCujo666

A completely unscientific poll on TS of the outfit I'm in indicates only about 1/4 (at most) run the game through Steam.

I don't run it via Steam either.

It's a competitive FPS. Even if Steam only costs 1 FPS...well, it still costs 1 FPS. Also, running it via Steam, makes buying SC a total hassle, compared to purchasing SC in game (I live in a country where shoveling money at Steam is not so straight forward, but SOE will happily take it, ofc).
  13. soeguud

NC Briggs is haemorrhaging players and the only thing other factions can come up with is "get good". Then again cert farming is essentially core gameplay now, so having one side out of the picture would benefit the others to no end.
  14. Maidere

Vocal minority on the forums dont run the game via steam. What a discovery.
    I can tell you that if the game was on steam since day one and most of the people who found it via Steam most likely quit, things are far from being great.
    Yes, the game is far from being dead. But I can't see this Smed's bright 25 years future atm.
  15. PhilDun

Yes, we understand that some of you don't use Steam. But do YOU understand that we're using Steamgraph to look for trends, not absolute population values?
    • Up x 1
  16. Syphers

We just started august so it's still 4 months away, I dont want to trash this game and i'd like it to succeed but given the numbers of players around and you can see this throught the map the game doesn't have over 40k let alone 30k players daily in america for sure.
  17. FIN Faravid

I don`t think Planetside 2 is losing population, it is just stabilising. Every game has most players at launch and first six months. But Planetside 2 development is stunning, so in year or so i am sure Planetside 2 player-base will grow.
    • Up x 1
  18. Maidere

No new continents in 10 months - stunning indeed.
  19. Shinniok

and why do you need 20 continents? I think the new continent is coming in the right time. We dont want, for sure, 8 continent which will spread ppl everywhere.
  20. Maidere

They wont, becuse of intercontinential lattice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.