Why is Planetside 2 losing so many players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jdono67894, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seafort

Isn't that what beta is for? To balance the game out and sort out most of the bugs? But SOE decided to release too early and now they get to pay the price for that stupid decision.

It's a good game for an hour or 2 but it's still just a massive TDM. Points are captured back right after you capture them. Defense in PS2 is non-existant and not worth the time or effort.

Boredom is setting in for me and when that happens I generally move on. I never come back to an "MMO" like PS2 again.

I get the feeling that a lot of players are feeling this way so SOE are on the clock now to turn this game around before they lose a lot more players than they already have. Being free to play doesn't mean you have immunity either. It just means the game is a throwaway product just like the vehicles in game.
    • Up x 3
  2. Transvestosaurus

I can only answer the question through my own experience, so here goes.

It's pointless. There is almost no feeling of achievement in the game. If you do well, say defending a base, all you feel is that you are delaying the inevitable - not succeeding in any meaningful way. If it does get overrun, don't worry, we just start re-capping the moment it flips and the whole exercise starts all over again.There's nothing to win... or to lose.
    Everyone's efforts feel so weakened and diffused by the mechanics (or lack of) that there's no point in trying too hard. I suppose that's why besieged bases empty out rather than fill up.

That's not to say it can't be fun. It can be. I've had some great moments that felt special because they were emergent and dramatic, that felt like I was in a set-piece of a one-player game, or even a movie. That's awesome. That's never happened to me before. But they were maybe a minute or two out of a few day's total play. Weird lucky instances where people forgot the prevalent 'meta' and just went for it.

I think human nature, precious-cert-hoarding behavior and cowardice have a lot to do with it as well. But I can't see any way around that.

Are you joking? God I hope you are.
  3. gunfox

I'm on the verge of having enough from bowing to my Vanu Overlords. If they'd at least use lube before **** ****** their minions.
  4. Haba

Yep. Yesterday we lost and retook The Crown about four times. Once attacking the full NC population while being zerged by TR. Back and forth, truly massive scale infantry battles. Aircraft mostly stayed away, which was heavenly.

But by the fifth time I saw TR zerg coming up the cliff I thought I'd had my share. And that's during one day. Imagine doing that for months.

This is something they need to address. Capturing impossibly defensible location like The Crown should mean something. For longer than two minutes.

(Being able to see the players on the screen when three zergs clash would be nice too)
  5. Zcuron

I had a look at the steam stats myself, and if they're accurate, PS2 has been stable for a month.

I don't mind waiting. "good stuff on the horizon"
    I don't mind bugs either. "they'll be fixed"
    Getting killed by a hacker is kind of funny. "weeee, flying! *splat*"

Perhaps I'm the ideal PS2 player?

Sure, there are things I don't particularly like about the game, but SoE seems intent on fixing them - though their methods may not be optimal, there have been some good suggestions made on the roadmap forums which I hope they take to heart.

And as the intention behind the roadmap is seemingly to measure what the community wants, why wouldn't they?

In the fullness of time, we shall see~~
  6. BengalTiger

I went the other way around.

Having to damage a tank for 30-45 seconds to kill it was boring and gave people so much time to fix their mistakes that anything short of going 1 vs 15 was a situation that's survivable.

Then there was the auto spotting- no way of ambushing someone since after the first shot they saw me (the rest of the team did as well), making the only valid tactic a slow shootout unless the enemies were so busy they ignored the guy who flanked.

SPGs were also a bit more annoying than airplanes (can't see early, can't hide, can't shoot back), as well as the fact the top Tier US heavy tank had holes in its armor in the suspension mounts (and it took me grinding all the way to it to find out), so near missing shells did more damage than direct hits (people on the forum even figured it must be to keep it from being OP).

No infantry, no air, no room for falling back 1-2 km if the attackers are serious about attacking...

And finally- repair costs and ammo costs, forcing 2-3 battles in the T34 to enjoy a single one in the T110E5 if I fired many rounds and/or got blown up. That made the game a grind not based on fun, but on the grind itself.

PS 2 has its problems, but at least the Developers ain't waiting 2 years to start fixing them.
    It also has much more to do (ever tried hacking an enemy base deep in their territory, spawning a Sundy and using it as a secret hideout behind enemy lines while messing around- with planes flying above and not noticing anything?).
  7. BaldurNemo

Ps2 for задров. Go outside and play football (or smth like that) dont sit in this ****** ****** **** **** whole day
    накуся выкуси ололо
  8. Scatterblak

...is this a trick question?
  9. Nathaniak

Just as a point of information, I downloaded the game through Steam. I open the game through a shortcut to the launcher. According to Steam, I have 4 hours played. I am BR27.
  10. VSSSSSSSSFTW

I always look at the steam chart a few times per day and its obvious that there are fewer players who download this game and those who left isn't enough to make up for it.
  11. Opifex

I saw a ad yesterday on youtube, and I plan on joining as soon as my financial situation stabilizes
  12. DoomMaze

13. hansgrosse

I figure you probably know this, but just in case you don't, you can play the game free of charge. You never have to spend a penny on it if you don't want to. :)
  14. Opifex

my computer... is ****
  15. Opifex

joining the electrical union, shouldnt be too long, I got through the intire process and my interview was 2 days ago
  16. Opifex

so, how is the teamwork?
    is there a method to handling dispatch?
    or do I run wildly at the opposition firing at anything that moves. (you know typical fodder behavior)
  17. TomoB

Heh, yes. This game is just about zerging around and capturing bases, once base has been taken it's time for zerg to move on, even if there's enemy already attacking it. No no no, zerg doesn't care about defending bases, zerg only conquers...
  18. Kanzy

Basically this, I never used the steam client and many of my friends and guild mates left PS2 when the next shiny FTP game flashed, including my self but I came back to the game and its even better now as far as I am concerned, this is my new fall-back MMO after SWG
  19. Opifex

is it because the game rewards that sort of behavior? like no xp for defence only offence?
    how does a typical day of play go?
  20. RaZz0R

Steam doesn't track everything mate.

And plus - places like steam are designed to get the gamer to download as mant games as they can so they are more likley to buy one of them.

Nothing but hate for steam.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.