Why is Planetside 2 losing so many players?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jdono67894, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inzababa

Crazy how depending on what you compare it too, it totally changes?

I mean, on this one you showed, it doesn't really feel like a downard trend at all, it even seems to be picking up towards the end.
    • Up x 1
  2. Reventine

Why is PS2 losing so many players?.

Balance
    Performance
    Bugs

And the same thing every day without end. But the question is, when these things are eventually fixed will they want to return?.
    • Up x 5
  3. Opifex

woah black ops two dropped faster, whereas ps2 seems to bump up a little there
  4. Sminky

They would kill to even get that player base that was there at 01/01/2013 now I imagine. As 30/04/13 at 8.30pm GMT PS2's current players are 5,481 it's peak was 6,056 (steam charts). To put that in perspective Garry's mod peak today was 16,450 and Dota 2 is 276,020.

It's so frustraiting how the have miss-handled tis game, every update seems to dilute the experience. in addition anyone who says that steam charts are not a true indication of a games success is at best naïve.
  5. Fenrys

I guess I should post something relevant if I'm going to comment about thread necromancy.

Here are the current top issues:

#1: mega lag and world flicker during platoon v. platoon and larger fights
    solution: fix the bugs causing it, or implement some kind of auto-warping system that will remove players from overcrowded hexes and prevent new players from entering that hex

2: outdoor spawn rooms are camped by vehicles and provide lots of cover for spawncamping infantry
    solution: put them underground or in a windowless building that allows for multiple points of egress toward all or most objectives such as control points and generators. Vehicles should only get you to the gates - they should never have a shot at a spawn room - and there should be nowhere for enemies to hide anywhere near the spawnroom exits.

3: Rifles are not good enough at longer ranges to balance shotgun dominance at close range.
    solution: reduce recoil and cone of fire for all carbines, ARs, and LMGs. Or - reduce shotgun damage and improve shotgun pellet spread to push its range out a little farther, bringing its potential closer to that of rifles at all ranges with a slight bonus up close and a slight penalty farther out.

4: airhammer is too good compared to the other empire's close range ESF weapons
    solution: Increase damage resistance v. the airhammer for non-infantry.

5: no chokepoints at most bases means n+1 players = win, preventing the fight from being spread out, causing everyone to pile into the same hex, which leads to mega lag, world flicker, and shallow gameplay at the strategic level
    solution: Add bases that only need 1 defender for every 3 attackers to hold it, and place them at roadblock positions along the rush lanes. There should be multiple paths to the area that's roadblocked, but each path should have it's own highly defensible base. If all the defenders pile into one of them, attackers can send part of their force to snatch the others.
  6. Jogido

Just play game a bit more and see how it goes. I find that I have plenty of action on my server.

and don't pay too much attention to forum drama :)
  7. Tnsr

So true
    • Up x 1
  8. ferelferret

This ...

With reference mainly to the second point I feel the fact that the TR and NC rocket pods do far more damage than the scythe. The numbers point towards them being balanced but in game they are way more OP than the VS. This then leads to air vehicles just mowing down Spwan room exits or camping sunderes.
  9. keez

population imbalance.

It REALLY SUCKS being on the losing side in this game because of the camping. Even worse there is a snowball effect of more and more enemy vehicles as they gain more territory making it even MORE unfun. XP incentives don't do anything when you're out of resources stuck with only a few territories and a warpgate left against 3:1 odds. I'm really really tired of fighting against NC with this ridiculous population imbalance and Vanu always seem to have nearly zero aswell making anything futile.
    • Up x 1
  10. Goden

As Reventine said.

Balance
    Performance
    Bugs
    Balance
    Performance
    Bugs
    Balance
    Performance
    Bugs
  11. Sov21

Well this graph shows the past 4 full months...looks like the player drop has mostly stabilized. There are clear spikes for weekends and popular game updates.[IMG]
  12. Sebastien

Nice necro for a thread that should be dead.
  13. Van Dax

I wonder what it would look like if they put the active faction population on the same graph.
  14. LT_Latency

Large Scale PvP is niche market.

Most people don't want large travel times and very uneven battles.
  15. Phrygen

This can't be accurate given that many players, if not the majority, dont play the game with steam.

Steam sucks frankly. It links game accounts to the steam account for most games... and that is horrible.
    • Up x 1
  16. DonC

I don't know, why is the color red, red? why does time go forward?

I have always asked myself the same question, came up with many different answers but not many were ever applied to this game, I mean, they did for a bit but we regressed into a primeval state, de-evolving into what we have here today, many changes have made a difference being obvious solutions to never ending problems back in the days, flinch comes to mind (news to me), debated to death during beta and never applied, how it made the NC's life a living hell, how certain drastic changes were made too early and how bashing anything with a nerf hammer until it dies [mags] is obviously not the way to make little Timmy happy.

How many patches does it take to balance the center of a planetside?

The world will never know.
  17. The King

Many don't use steam...
    I have a steam account since 2001 or 2003. Forgot which, but I haven't bothered to use this game on it.
  18. Czuuk

Misleading graph is misleading.

This is only steam players. Most of us have stopped using the steam launcher to try to alleviate some issues with overlapping video overlays.
  19. SNAFUS

Though I'm not sure if this id evidence to the contrary. when you launch the game after downloading it with steam it shows you as being online via steam. You also have the the steam community accessible while in game so I feel if you downloaded via steam it does track it accurately or it seems to.
  20. Xebov

This game has a constant fluctuation at the player base, for most parts its new players that try out the game, dont like it and leave, you can see this on double xp weekends when they do some more advertising. Noone will ever get real number as steam isnt used much. The only reason i know that lets think players about leaving are the poor login servers of ProSiebenSat1 Games for europe that are offline or overloaded realy often.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.