[BUG] Why is it the Low ping is punished and high ping gets free Kills ???

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeathbyGotcha, Sep 3, 2016.

1. DeathbyGotcha

Any time I play early or late when Chinese or Koreans are on they can kill me before I enter a room or a drop a clip of head shots and they take no damage. I would say lag but with a 38 ping to server how is someone overseas with a 200+ ping killing me before I enter a room ??
  2. breeje

cause he is probably standing in that doorway, only on your screen he is 10 meters away from that door
    same thing if you shoot him, you're shooting where you see him but that's not where he is
    on my server it's the Russian players, but i play on the same side as them
    and when i play my alts, i know how to avoid them (stay away from zergs)
    something i even doe if there are no Russian players in the zerg
  3. FateJH

Client-side hit detection. If you can see him somewhere on your screen, you can deal damage to him by shooting at that somewhere on your screen.
  4. breeje

yes i know, and this is how it works in theory (and it works for every normal ping player)
    but it's clearly not for high ping players
    unless you call every Russian, Chinese and Korean a cheater, client-side hit detection is not working on players with high ping
  5. Moridin6

big if lol
  6. Lemposs

I am somewhat confused how they are killing you before you enter a room. Are they in the room, because no amount of lag should make that possible to do, unless their bullets stack mid air and hit the second you get in view.
  7. ObiVanuKenobi

I prefer playing with low ping because then medkits work and you can react to things instead of just instantly dying to anything, sure you can sometimes get easy kills when going around corners but often you will kill trade anyways.

If a player you're shooting at doesn't take damage it's not their ping, either you're having packet loss or there's some sort of a bug.
  8. FateJH

Assuming they are in the room, they probably strafed into then doorway, saw you running towards the door (at them), and shot you dead like that. It takes your client a while to catch up to their activities due to packet delays, if you ever get to see them at all. The game hasn't even begun sending you the packets about most things by that point. If the latency is quirky enough, all of the packets can arrive at once - the other person just magically appears in the doorway to you (even if they're no longer there from their perspective) and you consume all of the bullets that make you dead in the same instance.
  9. Riksos

Some people in this thread apparently have no real concept of how network latency and client-side hit detection works.

The Chinese guy is killing you because he is a better player, and it feels better for you psychologically to blame some other reason because it means that it was outside of your control. If there is no lag, it means that you have to not blindly run through doorways and expect to not get shot at. It means you would be required to actually put effort into changing your playstyle and getting better in order to out perform those Chinese and Russian players who are better than you.

But it's much easier to feel like it's lag. You don't have to feel bad about your sub-par skills in that moment, and even more you can go on the forums and try and validate yourself with other insecure players who will pretend like the Chinese guy who killed YOU and the Russian guy who killed THEM were experiencing the same exact connection circumstances.

No, let's all just blame the lag, because we are the best Planetside 2 players in the world. There's no way some Chinese ******* could be THAT good, it had to be the system.

Now go look up what client-side hit detection is and how Planetside 2 handles latency. You'll see that the thing you described literally cannot happen, as when problems with latency occur, player behavior is different. There is no situation where you walk in and he perfectly sees and kills you and nothing shows up on your screen except you instantly dying.
    • Up x 2
  10. Corezer

Ni hao?

u seem mad...
  11. FateJH

There is one, even with all other conditions being absolutely ideal. If the area really is so incredible dense with players, the dynamic loading algorithm might decide to give you less than ten meters of visibility. The boundary of the dynamic load range is a strange place where I don't think it's possible to determine whom actually sees whom. It's like an electron cloud. I wouldn't deem it impossible to end up standing with allies at one end of a room with enemies at the far end and only random individuals from either group being able to see the other just because the server thinks it's under too much stress.

I am going to give the algorithm much more credit than that, mind you. Back at the end of formal Beta, player loading under those conditions could be really dodgy. The developers have obviously tightened it up immensely since then. Having seen perfectly fine systems destablize in this game, though, it's best not to trust anything to work 100% of the time. Just memorize the common ways things can go wrong or how things don't look or feel correct and what the common workaround or explanation is.
    • Up x 2
  12. Daigons

Lag Switching is real. There are plenty examples of this exploit that have been posted onto YouTube. Including those who are demonstrating this exploit tools.
    • Up x 1
  13. Mirta00

Theres nothing 'skilled' about having such a poor connection that you might as well be hacking completely with dev tools.

Some people with access to this game from far afield can essentially tank an entire tm-50 mag from a HA and then instantly kill him (from the HA's perspective) with what seems like 0.5 second headshot reaction speed.

Thats nonsense and no fun to play against, because the persons skill is irrelevant when hes abusing an obvious issue to kill without any reasonable means to counter.

Its one thing to watch a wrel video talking about latency, quite another to play against people who seem to be all out lagswitching. (Which I think is common sense - and can only imagine those defending it are amongst the hacker crew to be quite honest).

I've logged in a few times on Cobalt and had situations where I've got the jump on average players and they barely take damage from 100 round mags at CQB! Then half an hour later, a guy barely exposes himself from behind a rock for a microsecond and my sidearm feels like it just one shot him with a chest hit? I usually log out at this time because I dont see it as fair. The server situation in this game is downright bizarre at times and we wonder where all the players are going?

Its BS and it needs addressing. Not some apologetic crap that fixes nothing.
    • Up x 2
  14. Cymric

If it is more advantageous to have high ping, you will see all the try hard kdr obsessed players from say America playing on Europe server and vise versa. Why don't you try it out, play on a server that has high ping for you and see if it improves your kdr?
    • Up x 1
  15. Mirta00

Ironically, it can work exactly as you describe - or used to, when American and European traffic hadn't been standardised to allow better latency between the two continents. Before that happened, latency massively effected peoples 'skill'. They knew the long distance had a negative effect and over time tweaked ports and otherwise to create packet loss intentionally, whilst improving things for themselves elsewhere.

When I used to play games from Murmansk, I knew a person there who would deliberately do this and along with correcting just enough of the instability his side, it would render him almost invulnerable to everyone else.

The bizarre effect it has on games, makes it look like full on lag and it partially is. The mistake people make is to give the player too little credit. They understand the server is far away, they want to play competitively like anybody else. Do you really think people simply think ''oh yes, I'm going to play and get killed by everyone while I can do nothing''? No. Not even close.

Peoples knowledge of connection manipulation extends far beyond what this community seems to realise. When I started gaming TM-cheats and AImjunkies were just babies, I see they have come far - as have the 3 other Russian hack sites i've now been made aware work very well with the current game version.

On topic though you have no idea just how 'high' bad ping can go apparently. What is the loss between EU/NA a few hundred ms on a decent line? Try intentional pings of 99k and beyond. Then you start to get into advantage territory.
  16. adamts01

High ping and lag switches are two entirely different things. High ping players (200ms) have a .2 second advantage on you if they run in on you camping in a room, and you'd have that exact same advantage if you ran in to one of them who was camping. If both of you round the corner at the same time, you'll both likely die. Someone all of a sudden teleporting once they take incoming fire is a completely different discussion.
  17. Draylynn

FYI, if this was the case for me, somethings broken. On average my latency is around 50ms.
    Fighting a high ping player, can trigger off our weapons at point blank/same time having come round a corner and they'll walk off with shield scratch, me with a new coffin and an entirely empty magazine (in some cases, 3+ seconds depending on the gun to fully unload the hail of bullets. .2 delay?) into their face/chest/legs/whatever. This happens more times than I like to admit.
    But that same person I sneak up on still doesn't take as much damage or go down as fast as they should.
    Skill isn't a factor.
    Now... Fighting another low ping player, different story altogether, we come around a corner and yes, were both dead or the other is screaming "MEDIC!".

This isn't anything new, this has always been the case for me and it's ruddy frustrating. I have to side with OP on this one, feels like were being unfairly penalised, intentionally or not.
    • Up x 1
  18. Demigan

It works both ways. If you jump into a doorway, he sees you much much later because he'll receive the packets of your whereabouts much later as well.

So here's what you do: The moment some Chinese or Korean players are online, you make sure you are the one entering rooms. Do not wait around for them to come to you. This way you suddenly turn this "advantage" around in their face and murder them with their own delay.
    And here's the best part: Since your hits reach the server first, the server will say the opponent is dead much faster and then ignore any damage the opponent does afterwards.
    • Up x 2
  19. Iridar51

A common misconception. Bad internet connection can give an advantage to a laggy guy when he shoots somebody, but it will also give an advantage to whoever shoots the laggy guy.
    • Up x 1
  20. KoRneY

I think the real problem for you is your .51 kd, below average accuracy, etc. 98% of your deltas are actually below average. i mean, i don't really give a ****, but clearly you have other things to improve on before you point your dumb fingers at people who don't have a choice at playing elsewhere.