Why doesn't the Terran Republic ally with the Vanu Sovereignty? [IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE LORE LEAVE]

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Strottinglemon, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Strottinglemon

The Terran Republic is an empire that values peace by any means necessary, striving to attain control of Auraxium and set out amongst the stars to expand the influence of humanity.

The Vanu Sovereignty is cultlike empire that lusts after knowledge, particularly after the ancient technology of the Vanu. Already they've made great leaps with hovering tanks and the invention of teleportation. (yes, it is implied Vanu scientists reverse engineered teleportation from alien tech)

These two factions could really benefit each other. If the Vanu and Terrans merged, you would have a faction of military discipline armed with advanced energy weapons and tech. The two really have no reason to hate each other. Our common enemy is the New Conglomerate, stirring up trouble for their silly concepts of liberty and peace. (And corporate profits, cough cough) If the Terrans achieve peace then the Vanu will be able to focus on rediscovering alien tech, which they can then use to benefit the Terran Republic in their quest to colonize the stars.

(Yes, I get that this wouldn't work gameplay wise. If you haven't read the lore, read it then post. I don't want to see any comments saying: LUL CUZ TR HAZ BEST GUNS WOOOO)

Any thoughts?
    • Up x 5
  2. IMTasty

Lore reasons behind it is that the TR wanted to research the Vanu tech and artifacts slowly and steadily while keeping it behind closed doors, think any government research really. But they also wanted to prohibit use of certain technologies due to perceived danger to the baddies in charge, think rebirthing was one of them, not sure though. The nowadays VS were a mix scientists who wanted it to be more open source and less government controlled and a few crazy guys who were hearing voices.

But yes, both are stupid for not finding a compromise. The bad apples in each faction ruin it for everyone, it's the extreme "lobbies" of each empire that makes it hard for them to get together and sing "Kumbaya". :p
    • Up x 13
  3. Radec594

The TR don't want to randomly tap into Vanu tech in the way the VS have been doing for years now, because they're scared of it and want to protect humanity from it.

The VS hates to be restricted in such a manner and see tech progression as the "only way" for humanity to evolve.

If you don't see a conflict of interest then I don't know what is o_O
    • Up x 1
  4. Strottinglemon

Huh, I would assume the Terrans would jump at the chance to supercharge their empire with energy weapons.
  5. Radec594

Might have happened under Connery's rule, but right now the TR is all about killing stuff with lead I'm afraid.
  6. Ganelon

Sticking alien tech up their **** was a bit too crazy for the TR.
    • Up x 2
  7. WalrusJones

They are somewhat traditionalist: Look at their music, them using bullets, and the fact that they have the most traditionally lead military (Old men issuing the orders, as opposed to a smooth talking politician/business lady, or a computer.)

Jumping at a chance is not something the Terrans would do.
  8. Strottinglemon

I see your point there! Still, the two factions could come to a sort of compromise. Both of them just want to get the fighting over with so they can go back to what they were doing.
  9. RobotNinja

How about they don't join forces with the TR because the VS is basically out to systematically genomurdercide anyone who doesn't join the VS and worship the will of Vanu unquestionably.
    • Up x 1
  10. Strottinglemon

I don't think that's very accurate. Try reading this if you have the attention span.
  11. EliteEskimo

I think the biggest reason for the conflict was that the TR didn't want to jump into the technology at the pace the Vanu did. The Vanu want to advance the human race, and saw the TR influence as a force holding them back so they broke off so they could "advance" at a pace that they saw fit. A simple meeting of minds to have a big discussion of what is okay for research may have helped, but obviously the extremists on both sides probably prevented that from happening.
    • Up x 7
  12. IMTasty

Yep, exactly what I ment. it's not the bulk of any faction standing in the way of peace and reconciliation, it's the extreme parts of each of them with vested interests one way or the other that keep clashing. The regular bulk/citizens of each faction are just regular people with no real reason to fight eachothers.
    • Up x 3
  13. RobotNinja

Well...uh...stop shooting at TR then? See if they give you the same courtesy.
  14. IronWarrior

Ally with terrorists?

Obama says no.
    • Up x 1
  15. ExarRazor

wait, are we talking ps2 lore here or ps1 lore?

cause originally (and I don't know if SoE backpedalled on this) the nc and vs were all part of the TR. when the TR got stranded on auraxis, things began to sour, and the vs split off because they wanted to use vanu tech to evolve, while the nc split off because they didn't like taking orders, and the clashes between the vs and tr gave them the chance to do so
  16. HadesR

Purple + Spandex

/thread
    • Up x 2
  17. Lord Robert

The way I see it, the Terrans would be fine with a merger in the way the OP suggested, but the Vanu would be the ones against it.
    I feel like the Vanu would be less than excited about researching for the Republic, and giving away tech that lets them colonize and expand.
    Vanu don't work well working for non Vanu types, even if it means research in peace.
    I always felt like the TR was more opposed to the NC than the Vanu, by their nature, and the Vanu more opposed to the TR than the NC
    Of course we don't exactly have a lot of lore to go on, so there is that as well
    • Up x 1
  18. Strottinglemon

I try to fight the NC and avoid the TR as much as I can actually.
    The NC are the terrorists. They blew up a whole starship on the way to Auraxis simply because they didn't like the martial law the TR was forced to apply under the circumstances.
    That's nanoweave spandex to you!
  19. Cinc

Just so were clear on this, your fully aware that one of you originial founders commited suicide, DUE to a vanu artifact mind control, right?

I am not kidding, its in the lore (somewhere...)

My point? We have legitimate reasons to be, SLIGHTLY, worried about that stuff. Coming from a TR.
    • Up x 2
  20. IronWarrior

VS just like the NC was part of the TR. Both elements rebelled against TR and therefore are both terrorists.