Why does Wraith Flash have onboard weapons?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by orangejedi829, Mar 31, 2016.

1. LaSouris

Thing is, various things is this game pretty much only farm infantry, and are more effective at doing so. I'm not going to name them though because that'll start a massive flame war and I don't want this derailed.

Thing is, I, personally, use the fury wraith flash to support friendly tanks. I can hit and run enemy vehicles, I can hit and run enemy heavies, heck, I can sneak up on MBT's when they're being fixed and mop up the infantry.

Sure, the fury is easy to farm infantry with. But if you want to farm effectively, there are things that are so much better at it
    • Up x 1
  2. breeje

yes there will always be a difference between systems and the one with the most money to spend will have the best hardware
    a good sound system is affordable for everyone so sound is not counting for me as is a good keyboard and mouse
    just go to a PC help forum and ask whats best within your budget
    i also believe most players will play on a average system

now i play on medium settings to keep my fps up and i have no problem seeing cloaks whatsoever
    my screen is a 22" cause i don't want a bigger one in my living room

from my perspective the cloak can even have a buff
    and the flash is so easily destroyed it dos not need a extra counter
    so what i say over beware of surroundings is very true with maybe a exception for low settings
    • Up x 1
  3. Liewec123

they're cheap in resource cost, but if you really want to play wraith flash it's going to be one of your most cert intensive vehicles.
    my fully certed wraith flash cost me 8496 certs, and i'd gladly pay it again! XD
    • Up x 5
  4. Moridin6

not to mention the lumifiber, underglow, hood ornament And horn !
    • Up x 2
  5. Liewec123

haha ofcourse! they're mandatory! :D
  6. WTSherman

Honestly the only thing that really annoys me about the wraith is it confers immunity to lock-ons, because that's how I like to take out Flashes. I sort of see why, if it didn't then lock-ons would double as a 300m "wraith scanner", but it's still annoying to see one cloak and think "oh great, now I have to kill it with paintballs. I mean bullets."
  7. Inu

I think flash should have basically no weapons. I honestly would like to see it be more like GTA. Pull out a 1 handable gun and fire to the right / left / front / back of you. Disclaimer: I've played GTA 3 times.
  8. FateJH

It really depends what their backdrop is and requires you not to be near other loud engined things that are friendly.
    You'll certainlyl be aware of it when you're the first of your teammates to die.

Personally, the only thing I question is why they put it into Utility. It's essentially an upgrade to Stealth with a charge meter.
  9. Hegeteus

I think that the only problem with wraith-flashing is the cheap cost of the flash(and maybe Fury in some regards). Wraith flashes like infiltrators are only truly dangerous when you and your teammates are scattered all around
  10. orangejedi829

- Walk? So that I'm an even easier target?
    - Even if i was walking and had a dumbfire launcher equipped AND had it out (which is suicide if you happen to run into another player), the notion that I would have been able to see the flash, aim, and fire (or jump out of the way) in the tiny fraction of a second before I was instagibbed is just silly. Human reaction time os 0.2s; that's about how long it took him to decloak and fire, after which I was dead. Expecting the victim to be able to react to that is ridiculous.
    - Snipers can be avoided by strafing
    - You can't reliably hit an infantryman from render distance with a tank, so I wouldn't call that a cheap strategy. More like a random occurance.
    At any rate, your logic of "There are other cheap and frustrating ways to die so it's okay" does not make sense. Does that somehow make it good for the game? When you say "That (dying in frustration) is Planetside!", keep in mind that Planetside is a game that absolutely hemorrhaged players after its release. Ever stop to think why 90% of the players left? (Hint: killing players when there is nothing they can do about it is one of the biggest no-nos in all of game design, and for good reason.)
    • Up x 1
  11. Crayv

Between wraith and the lazy flash it is the only thing that makes the vehicle useful at all.

Get with a friend though and a wraith flash earns the nickname "Anti-Tank Vehicle" or ATV for short.

The only things that compare cert wise are full lockdown Prowlers and battle Gals.
    • Up x 2
  12. Shiaari

Agreed. Wraith flash shouldn't carry weapons. It was OK in my opinion back when it was a single seat vehicle, but now you can carry a Heavy with a rocket launcher on it, and NOW that rumble seat has a 360 degree field of fire. It is very OP.

Sorry flash fans, it's abused. It needs to go. You need to choose between a mounted weapon and a cloak.
  13. Liewec123

or removing the seat? since you agree it was OK before the seat. :p
    • Up x 2
  14. DeadlyOmen

This is what is so wrong with this game.

So many opportunities for metagame, and the cry bullies attack it at every appearance, every single time.

You died. Relax, and respawn.
    • Up x 1
  15. orangejedi829

I'm the biggest proponent of metagame there is.
    But the devs have made it clear that they're only interested in balance passes and occasional minor content additions. So might as well talk about balance.
    Get off your high horse. Sheesh.
  16. Moridin6

whilei kindof see your point abut it not being fun for some, to get ohk by _insert thing_, but trheres a lot of those things, that can do that and have very few counters (when youre an infantry). but thats also kind of as it should be. its a war game.

my stealth maggy that sees you from far off and lands a shot on you, youre screwed if you didnt see and coming. same as with that flash, or many other things. and many Many things could have ended pewpew's run real quick. he was also laughing over mics about getting blown up, a lot.
    unlike my maggy example wheres there not much that will insta gib me

a better argument would be . considering the flash, why cant a harasser be gunned by the driver?

ive seen what a giant pack of wraith flashes with ha's riding can do, they wreck some stuff but then Real quick that pack gets small. theyre by no means op, its just another deadly part of this game, and i for one enjoy it
  17. Taemien

How much could something like this be?

Harassers are only 150 nanites. Sunderers are 200.

Already I can nearly spam Sunderers and Harassers. And Flashes has no reason to be 150-300 nanites. Simply because they do NOT have the impact of said vehicles. They are at most, annoying.

But I have to play devil's advocate and ask this: Is farming infantry an invalid playstyle? If it isn't valid, why do you any of you think that?

I mean you've got to prove that to somehow change what the wraith flash can do or is worth.
    • Up x 2
  18. Hegeteus

I was only thinking a subtle increase of cost like to 65-75 so I couldn't spawn them by the minute. I don't think farming infantry is an invalid playstyle and I've never complained about X farming Y. On the topic of invalidating playstyles, I would hush if I were you though(with the "zergling" crap and all)

I don't think wraith flash is very dangerous as infantry mopping tool, but with Fury I think it offers maybe a bit much opportunity with no risk. I think that this whole issue would be at the bottom of the priority list though
  19. TeknoBug

Remember how loud quads were in Planetside 1? And the cloaked bike didn't have any weapons, that's the way it should be in PS2.
  20. Taemien

Feel free to play PS1 if its that big of an issue. This isn't PS1, its PS2. Things change in sequels, sometimes massively.

You still haven't provided a valid reason why Flashes should be nerfed. Other than "They annoy me".

What if I said Carbines are annoying, and they weren't in PS1, so they should be removed. How ridiculous would that be?
    • Up x 2