Why does the spiker not 167dmg per shot model?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Codex561, Jul 12, 2014.

1. TheKhopesh

VS already have the best pistol to date in the current iteration of the Spiker.

The Spiker has the highest:
    ~DPS.
    ~CQC Pistol Reload Speed.
    ~CQC Pistol Continuous Fire Accuracy (Highest accuracy when firing as fast as possible).

Here's a comparison between the Spiker to the other burst pistols (Including the AMP and MagScatter, both of which I consider to be of the same class of CQC pistol):
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highest DPS-

1) 1,602 DPS - Spiker
    2) 1,577 DPS - TX1 Repeater
    3) 1,561 DPS - T4 AMP
    4) 1,391 DPS - LA3 Desperado
    5) 1,200 DPS - NC08 MagScatter

(The MagScatter should be at 1,550 DPS. It's the worst ranged pistol in the whole game counting use with the smartchoke, and deserves to at least be in the general DPS range of the other faction's weapons. That and we don't have a weapon with higher DPS than the Desperado ATM. While this is fine for now, when these pistols come out, and everyone else has a close range sidearm that's over 1,575 DPS, the NC will be without an equivalent option.)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highest CQC Pistol Reload Speed-

1) 1.53s/1.845s Short/Long reload speed - Spiker
    2) 1.55s/1.85s Short/Long reload speed ---- LA3 Desperado
    3) 1.6s/2.0s Short/Long reload speed ------- T4 AMP
    4) 1.7s/2.0s Short/Long reload speed ------- TX1 Repeater
    5) 1.8s/2.6s Short/Long reload speed ------- NC08 MagScatter

------------------------Part 2------------------------

Of course, reload speed and speed at which the weapon empties the magazine are hand-in-hand for balance.
    This is a comparison of the speed at which the weapon empties the magazine on the same weapons.
    (Note, I rounded the T4 AMP's general number to 1.35, as 1.3447 is an imperceptible difference, and the AMP was the only one that rounded up instead of down).

1) T4 AMP -------------- 1.35 (Exactly 1.344717182497332 according to statistics) seconds.
    2) Spiker ----------------- 1.40 (Exactly 1.404421326397919 according to statistics) seconds.
    3) TX1 Repeater ------- 1.49 (Exactly 1.491124260355030 according to statistics) seconds.
    4) LA3 Desperado ---- 1.68 (Exactly 1.680000000000000 according to statistics) seconds.
    5) NC08 MagScatter - 2.00 (Exactly 2.000000000000000 according to statistics) seconds.
    Again, the MagScatter is short changed here.
    Upping the rate of fire to my suggested 155 RPM (1,550 DPS) would change it to the below:
    1) T4 AMP --------------- 1.35 (Exactly 1.344717182497332 according to statistics) seconds.
    2) Spiker ------------------ 1.40 (Exactly 1.404421326397919 according to statistics) seconds.
    3) TX1 Repeater -------- 1.49 (Exactly 1.491124260355030 according to statistics) seconds.
    4) NC08 MagScatter--- 1.55 (Exactly 1.548387096774194 according to statistics) seconds.
    5) LA3 Desperado ----- 1.68 (Exactly 1.680000000000000 according to statistics) seconds.
    NC would still have the worst stats here, but at least they would have a more competitive weapon for the CQC pistols.

Highest CQC Pistol Continuous Fire Accuracy -
    After just shy of two hours testing of these weapons on PTS, here are the max ranges (rounded down to the nearest whole meter) at which each pistol can kill in one magazine while firing as fast as the weapon can fire while ADS (On the MagScatter, smartchoke numbers will be the main number, and a secondary set will show the numbers without the smartchoke).
    Keep in mind, I only counted kills that occurred with leg and chest shots.
    These numbers are based off kills without ANY headshots (Thus why it took so long to get these numbers).
    1) 33m - Spiker
    2) 30m - LA3 Desperado
    3) 22m - TX1 Repeater
    4) 20m - T4 AMP
    5) 14m (16m with Smartchoke) - NC08 MagScatter

These ranges make -almost- perfect sense.
    They fit the faction traits perfectly.

VS being mobility, and with it, accuracy. Specifically while moving.
    TR being Dakka (Though the AMP needs more ammo. They really skimped the TR on ammo for it, seeing how it's the lowest damage per shot AI weapon in the game. The AMP needs 24-26 rounds per mag.)
    And NC being hard hitting. (Whether they achieve that via high damage per projectile, or via a shotgun spray of projectiles.)

The one thing that doesn't fit here is that the Spiker has such an incredible DPS.

Well, there you have it.
    The Spiker is one amazing, bαdass SMG of a pistol.
    Best accuracy and reload of all the faction specific CQC pistols, and the best DPS of any sidearm in the whole entire game!

Sadly, the burst function isn't powerful enough to keep up with the best sidearm in existence.
    Up that to a 6x burst function and Voila!

All the TR masses want is a bit more ammo (like I said, 24-26 more rounds) to make it feel like a more solid weapon on the battlefield.

And the NC want a few basics.
    Now, the MagScatter needs:

-1 extra shot per mag.
    -DPS comparable to that of the other ES pistols (They're all CQC pistols, and the shotgun is no different. DPS high enough to compete is really something that it deserves).
    -OHK headshots on non-max infantry (Before anyone blows a gasket, Please. Read the really really really detailed explanation I made below as to why I think that's fair. And if you still disagree, say what leads you to this thought).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    -1 extra shot per reload.
    All other pistols but the super-niche'd "Primary weapon in the sidearm slot" xbow can kill exactly two targets with only body shots and still have wiggle room to miss a bullet or two.
    The shotgun pistol really could use the same courtesy.
    (As well, It's a midway between the NS-44 Commissioner -6 shots per reload, and the Crossbow -4 shots per reload. Give it the midway ammo at 5 shots to fit that placement.)
    -------------------------------------------
    -Acceptable DPS for a CQC pistol.
    It's a CQC pistol.
    If even the high RPM inaccurate TR weapons can get a max range of 20m on their point-blank automatic bullet hose, our shotgun should at least have DPS befitting it's max range of 14m.

That's the lowest maximum range of any CQC weapon in the game!
    (Well, not counting the knife... But when you're weapon has range so low you're comparing it to a knife, you deserve some DPS to compensate!)

Up it to 155 RPM (1,550 DPS) and now it's on par with the other weapons.
    -------------------------------------------

-And lastly, headshoting.

I just spent the last 2 hours playing around with the MagScatter as a stalker cloaker in the VR.
    With the Smartchoke and ADS, the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM range you can get all 6 pellets to hit the head of a non-max target is 2.85m.
    Without the smartchoke, that drops to 2.1m.

That's so amazingly close, I cannot convey it with words, so I've spend another +20 minutes testing on infils to KNOW the distance it will and will not kill.
    I took screenshots to show exactly the point where it goes from OHKing an infil (So if the headshot multiplier were changed to allow an OHK on non-infils, this is a perfect example of just how close you'd have to be) and you couldn't be off by the tiniest of tiny bits or you'll miss a pellet and you're better off falling back on shot+knifing.

Here's the screenshots for 2.85m (Max kill distance)-

Here's what 2.85m looks like without ADSing.
    Here's what 2.85m looks like with ADSing.
    Here's what 2.85m looks like with ADSing on a killshot.

NOTICE!
    (The rangefinder still shows 2m. This proves that I am not exceeding 3m. I'm just shy of hitting 3m. )

Here's what 2.9m looks like without ADSing.
    Here's what 2.9m looks like with ADSing.
    Here's what 2.9m looks on a failed killshot attempt.

As you can see, that's so incredibly close, that I for one think that's an acceptable range for ADS killshots on standard infantry.
    Now, you have to practice getting that close and keeping them from moving at all for fear you'll miss a pellet.

Oh, and if you're a stalker, after you fire, your handheld cannon is going to do two things.
    Alert everyone to your presence, and to exactly what your weapon is.
    Plus, you're going to ping on radar.

This is the one and only weapon that would be acceptable to have an OHK headshot for pistols.
    It has so much working against it for headshot use, this would be more of a feature meant to challenge it's owners to got out and attempt finding perfect candidates for, rather than a strategic feature for field use.

As well, it fits the NC faction trait of high damage perfectly.
    This specialty weapon could be boasted as the only sidearm in the game possibly capable of killing (virtually) instantly.
    That really helps sell the NC's theme, without upsetting game balance.
    And, it would be a cool selling point for the pistol itself.

Heck, the weapon description could even say something like:
    "The NC08 MagScatter was inspired by a custom handheld shotgun commissioned from the New Conglomerate by a freelance team of professional stalker cloak infiltrators in the year 2660. In 2847 it became a highly favored sidearm due to it's high damage and high muzzle energy. The MagScatter is prized for unparalleled single-shot killing potential at point-blank range."

The part about Henry Briggs and the year 2660 is hinting that Briggs' apparent suicide in 2660 was in fact a flawlessly executed assassination on the part of said unnamed freelance stalker infiltrators.
    Regardless, they could just change the year from 2660 to anything else they want and just leave it as a factual time, without any subtle hints toward PS2's currently barebones lore.
    The year 2847 is just a placeholder for any year that fits the lore.

Well, I hope you enjoyed (or at least appreciate) my post here.
    It took me just over 4 hours 35 minutes to gather all the necessary information, test stuff on PTS, upload the images for the MagScatter headshot ranges, reserch the Planetside 2 lore timeline, and put it all together into a -hopefully!- comprehensive and detailed statistical analysis!
    :eek::confused::cool:

(This is certainly one way to tell if someone really likes the game they're playing!)
    :p:D;)

If you find any errors in my math, statistics, or reasoning, PLEASE! Let me know and I'd be thrilled to go over them with you as best we can.

While NC is my favorite faction of the three, I regularly enjoy playing this game from every perspective!
    As such, I don't want to see the NC favored, I just want to see everyone get something that can whoop αss and that the owners can be proud of!

The VS have a fair, nicely hashed out CQC pistol with the highest sidearm DPS in the game. (Though the charge feature still needs some major work, but remember, the charge is a secondary feature, not the weapon's only redeeming value!)
    The TR have the only fully automatic pistol in the game. (Though the mag size needs some love to make it a sidegrade to the standard TR repeater.)
    And the NC have a shotgun. (I'm hoping that the devs see the major issues that keep this weapon from being more than just a less useful CQC amalgamation between the NS-44 Commissioner and the Hunter CQX -well, all the crossbow reskins-!)
    • Up x 1
  2. TheKhopesh

I think all the faction specific burst pistols and the new ES pistols need one extra trigger pull.

20 rounds for the Spiker.
    24 rounds for the Repeater.
    27 rounds for the AMP.
    16 rounds for the Desperado.
    5 rounds for the MagScatter.

I really feel that the MagScatter is left in the dust here. The other faction's weapons are the top three DPS pistols in the game (Spiker at 1,602 DPS. Repeater at 1,577 DPS. And AMP at 1,561 DPS).

That gives them all as close to even a damage output per mag as possible.
    (The MagScatter REALLY needs that extra round too! It takes two shots to kill, regardless of whether you get a headshot or not.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Side Note---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I really think that the MagScatter should get 1,550 DPS (155 RPM).
    It'd still be the lowest of the ES pistols, and lower than the repeater, but at least it'd be a competitive option.
    (The Desperado is a pokey 1,391 DPS. As such, I find that the NS Underboss is a better alternative, as it has better range and is only a petty 16 DPS lower).
    And too, the MagScatter is the lowest range, so the Desperado (if you're actually going to use it over the underboss) still has a clear cut role.
    (Though the Spiker is going to completely blow the Cerberus out of the water! :( I really think both the Cerberus and Rebel still need some serious work. They just aren't competitive enough in their respective places right now.)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally feel that the MagScatter should be able to OHK non-max infantry with all 6 pellets from a shot to the head.
    (Now before anyone blows a gasket, please. Read the really really really detailed explanation I made below as to why I think that's fair. And if you still disagree, say what leads you to this conclusion).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++ This is taken from the above post I made about three hours ago ++++++++++++++++++++++++

With the Smartchoke and ADS, the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM range you can get all 6 pellets to hit the head of a non-max target is 2.85m.
    Without the smartchoke, that drops to 2.1m.

That's so amazingly close, I cannot convey it with words, so I've tested it on infils to KNOW the distance it will and will not kill.
    I took screenshots to show exactly the point where it goes from OHKing an infil (So if the headshot multiplier were changed to allow an OHK on non-infils, this is a perfect example of just how close you'd have to be) and you couldn't be off by the tiniest of tiny bits or you'll miss a pellet and you're better off falling back on shot+knifing.

Here's the screenshots for 2.85m (Max kill distance)-

Here's what 2.85m looks like without ADSing.
    Here's what 2.85m looks like with ADSing.
    Here's what 2.85m looks like with ADSing on a killshot.

NOTICE!
    (The rangefinder still shows 2m. This proves that I am not exceeding 3m. I'm juuuust shy of hitting 3m. )

Here's what 2.9m looks like without ADSing.
    Here's what 2.9m looks like with ADSing.
    Here's what 2.9m looks on a failed killshot attempt.

As you can see, that's so incredibly close, that I for one think that's an acceptable range for ADS killshots on standard infantry.
    You have to pick targets that won't move at all for fear you'll miss a pellet.

If you're a stalker, after you fire, your handheld cannon is going to do two things:

Alert everyone to your presence, and to exactly what your weapon is.
    (And you're not just going to be easily heard, but actually ping on radar.)

This is the one and only weapon that would be acceptable to have an OHK headshot for pistols.
    It has so much working against it for headshot use, this would be more of a feature meant to challenge it's owners to got out and attempt finding perfect candidates for, rather than a strategic feature for field use.
    You're really safer off just shot+knifing to get a FAR easier kill.

As well, it fits the NC faction trait of high damage perfectly.
    This specialty weapon could be boasted as the only sidearm in the game possibly capable of killing (virtually) instantly.
    That really helps sell the NC's theme, without upsetting game balance.
    And, it would be a cool selling point for the pistol itself.

Heck, the weapon description could even say something like:
    "The NC08 MagScatter was inspired by a custom handheld shotgun commissioned from the New Conglomerate by a freelance team of professional stalker cloak infiltrators in the year 2660. In 2847 it became a highly favored sidearm due to it's high damage and incredible muzzle energy. The MagScatter is prized for unparalleled single-shot killing potential on headshots at near point-blank range."

The part about Henry Briggs and the year 2660 is hinting that Briggs' apparent suicide in 2660 was in fact a flawlessly executed assassination on the part of said unnamed freelance stalker infiltrators.
    Regardless, they could just change the year from 2660 to anything else they want as a factual date for the timeline, without any subtle hints toward PS2's -currently rather sparse- lore.
    The year 2847 is just a placeholder for any year they want to throw in there that will mesh well with the lore.
  3. TheKhopesh

Oops.
    Hit the wrong button.
    I didn't mean to make this post.
    Ignore it please.
  4. PsyStorm

I just want 3 round burst instead of 2 :)
  5. DatVanuMan

The fact that it took you so much time to find all the information to type this post is slightly scary (No offense, but I could never type all this and find all that information. WAY too lazy:p). The only reason I don't like the Spiker is that it isn't unique. It's just some other burst pistol. I know each burst had faction traits in mind (TX1 has the largest magazine, and highest RoF, Desperado had the highest damage and the Spiker is the most accurate and has the fastest reload), but while the TR get an automatic pistol, the NC get a shotgun (Which really requires some buffs which I will list soon), the VS get a burst pistol. That's it. While the other factions got new pistols that speak out their traits, the VS just got one burst pistol. That's why I dislike the Spiker. It's boring, too bland, and just doesn't say VS. As for the MagScat, it should have a tighter spread, I have no problem with a headshot kill (The other semi-auto shotguns can), and give it more pellets (2-4 more). Four shots is enough, but a few more pellets would allow it to perform better at range, somewhat like the Jackhammer. You should be able to take the Scat and kill someone a good "Execution" distance away, and if you land a headshot, it is even more rewarding (Considering you are able to kill him with a few more pellets and tighter spread). Also, 7 shots for the new semi-auto mode I've been whining about for the past two weeks IS good, right? RIGHT?:mad: Just kidding, I'm not angry, BUT PLEASE SAY I'M RIGHT! *Cries for a few seconds*
    • Up x 1
  6. TheKhopesh

That's why I like this idea.
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...r-spiker-charge-up-feature-suggestion.192969/

It's unique, but because the Spiker is so good already, it's not a feature that helps in a fight.
  7. DatVanuMan

I like how you emphasize on how good the Spiker isXD If you want it so bad, then wear a suit of spandex today! Join us for amazing, rewarding, and daily disco parties, and enlighten the world around you! Papa Vanu appreciates your decision!
  8. DatVanuMan

EYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE think I'll stay with my Commissioner. The idea is amazing, but VS pistols just don't suit my style. But that's quite an interesting idea, though. I just don't really know how it'll work. Hold the fire button down, and how long does it take? How does the ammo recharge? And if this feature becomes a reality, can we have the long-range mode? God, I'm whining so much about it, manXD
  9. TheKhopesh

Ya, but I like NC medic AR's better, and I have +45% medic play time.
    ^_^

I do enjoy messing around as a stalker infil, and I really love piloting the Phoenix, but medic is my true love.
  10. TheKhopesh

Instead of reloading, it would take about 1.65 seconds to recharge.
    (Short reload is 1.53 seconds, long reload is 1.845 seconds.)
    So it'd take just a taste longer, but for any kills where you can take a break directly after and recharge instead of reloading, you're essentially not having to spend a single bullet for that kill.
    (Ammo conservation is a major concern for long term stalking as a stalker infil. This ability would be invaluable when you got used to it.)

So as long as you were careful, you could make your ammo last many many times longer than usual.
    (And if you made no errors, you could literally make it last indefinitely.)

This ability combine with the Spiker's 1,600 DPS would make it ideal as a primary weapon.
    It would be like running a TR stalker with a TX1 Repeater as ranged as the Underboss and you wouldn't need to run the ammo belt!

Don't get me wrong though, it would take some time to get used to charging instead of reloading (And you'd have to remember not to try to charge your other weapons when you stopped playing after long Spiker stalking sessions!), but it fits the VS theme exceptionally well, and reinforces the fact that the charge is supposed to be a secondary feature to the weapon -NOT the main focus- as far too many VS seem to think.

(I wish they'd focus on fixing the models and animations for the three ES pistols though. That way people can use them without the interferance in performance that the visual bugs are causing.)

The AMP cannot be used on a stalker cloaker, because the game defaults your in-hand weapon to the primary (Or in the case of stalkers, sidearm) slot.
    Without the AMP's model, it doesn't know what to do, bugs out, and switches you to light assault.

The Spiker has a hitching motion where the pistol resets to the hipfire position for a fraction of a second between bursts, which makes ADS aiming hard.

And the MagScatter has a hole in the model where you can see straight through.
    That hole will commonly fail to deepcloak with the rest of you and your pistol model, and because it fails to do this, it's easily visible in close quarters when you should be virtually imperceptible.
  11. DatVanuMan

MEDIC? Nah, rocket launchers, Lashers and You lose shields are my thing. You sure you don't want to join? THE SPANDEX IS REAL:D
  12. DatVanuMan

You just made me realize how useful the reload charge would be. You can't fire while reloading, but this charge not only replenishes your ammo but allows you to also fire when you have to. As for the models, the AMP should have received the Inquisitor's model. That extended mag looks like a full auto pistol mag. As for the NC, I wished it would be a Sawed-off. That would have been epicXD
    • Up x 1
  13. vanu123

Since when does this game care about traits? The VS have drop and in the case of MBTs the most drop.
  14. TheKhopesh

I like my cargo pants just fine.

Unless I'm in bed and something really freaky is going on, I don't particularly enjoy having the mother of all perpetual wedgies.
    ;)
  15. TheKhopesh

Wow.
    That's something that I hadn't even considered.
    If you're interrupted you can still fire what you did manage to recharge (unlike reloading where you'd have to switch from your weapon and back).

That just makes this idea even better!
    (Thanks for pointing this out!)

And yes!
    The extended mag thing for the AMP would be pretty cool.
    I'd love to see it's model look like an Inquisitor with a miniature dual-drum mag!

As far as the sawed off pistol though, I've never really liked that idea.
    I really want to see a similar design to the original PS1 MagScatter.

[IMG]

But, I wouldn't mind seeing all the new ES pistols get unique alternative models (Like the NS black 1400 SC or NS gold 2000 SC pistol variants!) and possibly animations.

These are going to be fairly unique pistols and they could chip away at the model/animation designs til it's ready.
    Then they could release the new reskins in with the Year Two Anniversary Bundle!
    (If they decide to have an Anniversary Bundle this year, but I really hope they do!)

Heck, they could even make a contest for concept art for Player Studio Creators and award the winners with an honorable mention and free copy simply for a nice looking concept (which would make them all the more unique and aesthetically pleasing).
  16. DatVanuMan

Or maybe even a bucket 'a certs! WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY MIGHT GIVE?
  17. DatVanuMan

The spandex does get annoying sometimes... :(
  18. minhalexus

I have an idea! :)

How about the spiker releases a fully charged shot at the end of the long reload.

So if you ever run out of ammo, and have to reload. Wait for the reload to complete and enjoy a free 500 damage at end of the reload.

Make the reload animation in a way that it releases the "junk" that does 500 damage.