Why does the Claymore suck so much compared to Bouncing Betty/Proximity Mine?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by KunzeWaldemar, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Spookydodger

Doesn't it also have 2x the detection radius in front of it?

If I recall correctly, the betty and prox mines have like a 1 meter detection radius in a circle, claymores have a 2 meter detection radius in a cone?
  2. Ganelon

Nope, the Claymore has a pie slice of the Bouncing Betty/Prox mine radius.
    • Up x 2
  3. BeefJerky

4. Bill Hicks

you have the bison hat.
  5. Ganelon

Too bad it's a fact that the Claymore's trash compared to the bouncing betty and proximity mine.
    • Up x 4
  6. acealchemist

I agree they are useless. Not complaining just stating the facts.
  7. Frosty The Pyro

false

Or at least i am pretty sure it is. There was some prety intense testing done, and claymores had either a larger radius or more damage, I forget which, but i think it was the radius.

On the lasers, they are wierd, but generaly dont show up for enemies. Its based on distance from the mine when it was placed, plus if you go farther away than a certan distance even if you were close enouph when it was placed the lasers will stop showing. The end result is in my VS and NC playtime I have seen claymore lasers a grand total of one time (when i watched the guy drop the claymore).

they also put glowy bits on betties and prox a while ago, so the overall visablity of all three is similar now.

Directionality is also usefull, claymores can be frissbied without having to run away after (though you need to "aim" more with em) can be used to cover a flank were you are standing without blowing yoursel up, and are the best to use when hacking a turret with someone in it (again cus it wont blow you up too).

end result being the claymore is less versitile in general use, but does have a few aditional niches that the other two lack.
  8. illgot

I love the claymore. What other mine can you place right behind you and let go off keeping you completely safe while killing the opponent. I use this a lot when I hack turrets with the current bug where the opponent won't render for about 3 seconds once kicked out.

drop one right behind you while sniping, you will be shocked at how many people you kill sneaking up on you trying to up their knife kills.
  9. Ash87

How does it have a larger radius? You have to walk through the 60 degree thing in order for it to effect you. And regular mines are OHKs... so how does more damage on a OHK matter?

And "Based on distance from person when placed" does not translate to versatility. The only place you can stick the bloody things, and expect kills, is in Doorways. Comparatively to Bouncing betties and prox mines, which I see people dropping in open fields... and still getting kills.

As to the visibility, You know to Look for Betties and Prox mines with experience... this doesn't mean the lights help significantly (As you really can't see the lights that much, unless it is night time), it just means you've been blown up half a million times.

Here is the thing: Prox mines and Betties are used by infiltrators. They cloak, run behind lines, drop mines into clusters, and get XP. TR infiltrators do not do this, because it is a bloody worthless tactic with your directional mine. When the stalker cloak is brought in, this behavior will be much worse, as you have little to no chance of being detected.
    • Up x 1
  10. Ranik

Incorrect. The claymore has literally nothing over the Proximity mine or bouncing betty.
    • Up x 1
  11. Quovatis

I didn't think it was truly directional having never really played with it. But that video proves the claymore is trash compared to the other 2. It should do double the damage to compensate, IMHO.
  12. Nerp

In my opinion, I think that because the claymore is one directional, has very visible green sensor lines, and is also much taller and more obvious on the ground, the claymore should have a much longer blast reach than the other two proxy mines as well as much higher damage.

It only makes sense. If all three mines have the same "Fire power" in them, since the Claymore focuses all that power in one direction, the blast would be much stronger as opposed to the other two mines that focus their power over 360 degrees.
    • Up x 3
  13. P4NJ

Strangely, there are still derps who run into my claymores =P But yeah, it sucks compared to the other ones.
  14. LowTechKiller

This subject frustrates me quite a bit because it's a good example of SOE nerfing the other two weapons instead of fixing or buffing the inferior one.

All that needed to be done was eliminate the green lasers from the front of the Claymore. That I could work with.

Instead, they left these green warning lights, and added blinking lights on the VS prox mine and reflective tape on the Bouncing Betty to make them easier to spot. Instead of making the Claymore more effective and fun to use, they made the other two mines just as worthless and boring. How does that make any sense?
    • Up x 4
  15. Vanus Aran

Huuuh - interesting. I play only VS so I never noticed.

What I noticed is that the BouncingBetty really is the King in the ring.
    It blends in too well indoors and in most terrains while the Claymore is extremly visible yeah.
    Dont know about the VS-mines but I guess they suk as well because they are "bigger" and therefore easier to spot.
    Over the weeks/months I could feel their efficiency decreasing.

Meaning people adapted or just wear Flak-Armor most of the time.
    Yeah the Infantrymines just became every Infiltrators "Grenades".
    First use the Shieldcleaner-grenade, then Mines - thats a good combo I guess.
  16. Ganelon

False.

It doesn't do more damage, nor does it have a longer range.
    • Up x 2
  17. KunzeWaldemar

18. Ketadine

I don't get it why devs don't admit the Claymore is inferior to the other 2 and buff or revamp it. There's all the evidence needed, stat wise and a video showing this and they still haven't done nothing in this regard.
  19. KlyptoK

Does the directional blast range extend further on the claymore?
  20. Ganelon

No.