Why do people criticize those who main heavy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dieter Perras, Nov 12, 2014.

1. FocusLight

Standard argument, easily debunked and done so hundreds of times by now.

HA is not "better" than all other classes. Their role is to be the all-purpose infantry. All classes have tools and gear to fill their roles and all are needed to fill them. HA's however have tools more geared towards

- direct survivability under fire (shield)
    - long-range anti-armor / anti-air options (launcher)
    - sustained infantry fighting (LMG's have more ammo overall than other weapons)

The Shield won't save you when you get flanked and shot, ambushed, overwhelmed, out-played in a straight-up fight or otherwise stopped by other classes. You can be out-gunned by AR using Medics, sniped by infils, ambushed by infils, ambushed by LA's blown up by LA's C4, mown down by an Engineer turret or stomped by a MAX. But you can also defeat them all using your available tools to your advantage. This don't make you any more op than an Infil that kill you from 250 meters away, or the Medic that shoot you then undoes all the work you just did killing all his allies, or doomed to die when sticky-naded by an Engineer, or have your tank blown up by tank-mines or whatever. Other classes have Anti-tank options, but only MAX'es and HA's have long-range AV options. Other classes have partial AA options though small-arms won't kill Libs and Galaxies, Launchers and Flak will.

The strength and the weakness of the HA is the versatility. Just like starter weapons, they can do everything, but others can do everything they do better. MAX'es are blatantly better AV and AA options than HA's, hell they are likely better AI options as well, and if all I can expect to do is kill infantry then Medic will be my first choice because Assault Rifles, self-heal and heal/revive utility for allies.

The only thing I would argue we do is perhaps give other infantry classes AA abilities of some kind, they already have AV options. Yes those are limited to getting close, but the fact that all but MAX/HA have to get close and MAX/HA are the only ones that get a full-range of AA options against Libs and Galaxies arguably defines their classes and makes them useful. If everyone had long-range AV and AA options then

A) No-one would bother to pull HA's anymore at all and worse

B) The infantry vs tank/air game would be completely broken and few would bother to pull any vehicles for anything but transporting infantry.

The current balance require the HA to exist and all other classes to exist more-or-less the way they are now. Nerf the HA any more and you have effectively killed the class. Then we are on to the next class everyone whines about. Likely Medics.
    • Up x 2
  2. Keldrath

Because you either play heavy, or you play at a disadvantage.

And since heavies are both the anti infantry AND anti vehicle ground class, there's literally no reason to not use them.

The advantages you get as say, a Light Assault, don't even begin to compare.

Some people would rather there be more diversity in the game, but sadly there is not. Go heavy or go home.
  3. Hoki

Because every other class has some finesse specialization or support.

A medic, engineer, LA, and even infil are basically on even footing with ways in which they can become more or get the upper hand.

Heavy just presses a button and immediately get the upper hand in a scenario where a medic encountering an LA would be a somewhat even fight.

Now of course there is the much needed rocket launch, and some even prefer the LMGs (Hello Orion), but imo most people primary HA due to the shield being easier to take advantage of than the rest of the class abilities.

Its just push button -> upper hand.

Though its hard to say for sure why heavies are the most popular class. Its always nice to be able to counter enemy armor.

Ultimately just horrible class design to not give any other class access to rocket launchers.
  4. _itg

That's just it. The shield WILL save you when you get when you get flanked and shot, ambushed, or out-played in a straight-up fight. You have to execute an ambush perfectly to secure the kill on a HA, and if you screw up even a little bit, the HA doesn't have to be very good to kill you instead. This is why people are frustrated. I'm not saying the shield needs to change, but you need to recognize this.

A lot of your argument seems to center on MAXes being better than heavies. Fine, but that's why MAXes cost 450 nanites. If MAXes were free, you'd pick them over HA most of the time, but they're not.

In outdoor fights, I'll agree other classes can perform just as well as heavies. However, if you read my post carefully, you know the point I was actually making was that certain classes, mainly LA and infiltrator (engis, too, although the repair tool gives them a place in any fight with MAXes), have the issue that they don't do well indoors, where most of the important fighting occurs. Around a capture point, it's all heavies, medics, and MAXes, with just enough engis to keep the MAXes alive and one infiltrator for radar. Light assaults have no place, and you want as few engis or infiltrators as possible while still filling their support role. This is why I said I wanted these classes buffed rather than HA nerfed.
  5. LibertyRevolution

I get hate tells quite often when playing my cyclone heavy..
  6. Skooma Lord

No matter any F.P.S. (or any other type of game really) most of the players will choose the class with higher health or more damage output over the other options. One example is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare where 5 out 6 players chose the perk that increases health, or the perk that increases damage.

I think they went wrong with heavies having an L.M.G. and a rocket launcher at the same time. I think that they should have had to choose to either equip a carbine/shotgun/S.M.G. with a rocket launcher or just an L.M.G. with a pistol. Right now in my opinion they have everything at once. They deal with multiple infantry enemies at on time with their shield and L.M.G. and deal with vehicles just by switching their weapon. The engineer has to choose whether to spawn with mines and an Anti-Armor turret, otherwise they are useless when battling vehicles. The L.A. and C.M. can kill a vehicle or two with some C-4 but they can't resupply from ammo packs.

Right now in my opinion I think they are too much of a "one man army". I doubt that there will ever be tweaks to the class though. I'm all for the Heavy Assault for doing its role, but I think it should have to choose between providing heavy fire with its L.M.G. or having a lighter weapon with less ammo and range for the ability to take on vehicles at range.
  7. Xasapis

The cheese of this game is heavies with SMGs or shotguns. It is true that LMGs can theoretically handle more enemies per clip. In reality however, killing potential is more important than sustainable damage, which is why rocket primaries are also a thing.

If it was in my hands, I would go the opposite way and disallow the use of shotguns and SMGs from heavies.
    • Up x 1
  8. tahn1000

the reason why that is rubbish is because an ambushed heavy doesn't have time to get shield up and take full hit of every bullet to health. and it doesn't matter whether we wear nanoweave or flak armour. the difference is only 1-3 bullets. top that off with the fact that ha is also the least maneuverable of the classes, and we're dead before we can turn around.
  9. Jaquio

Well, I know that in my personal experience, when I'm on a mad dash and round a corner and see an enemy and start firing, and then my enemy is bathed in the glowing warmth of their shield, I am immediately aware that unless they are a terrible shot, I'm not going to win.

This may frustrate some people, but it doesn't bother me. Being afraid of one glowing class is a small price to pay for jump jets.

I like when they instinctively throw up their shields when I throw smoke grenades though. It's really thoughtful the way they light themselves up like a Christmas tree for me.
  10. Skooma Lord

Yea the way the bases are designed right now, and what you typed, I think that might be a better option.
  11. KnightCole

I played HA cuz it has a Rocket for general purpose explosions when I needed it. It has an LMG, I love LMGs....lotsa bullets, never reload....lol.

The Shield, gives me an edge in combat. Plus, it's name...Heavy...Assault....just love it.

I would propose give the dang Engineer the Rocket, and let him be the AV Class, besides, he gets the mines, the turret, the other glue gun....let him have the Rocket to. Meanwhile, let the HA be the primary Anti Infantry class with his shield and Machinegun......Give the Engi a shield that protects him from explosives much like the HA shield.

But no changes will ever be made, this game is what it is....
  12. RykerStruvian

Being able to dump the AV work entirely on the engie actually sounds like a great idea. The less I have to deal with as a HA the better imo.
  13. Xasapis

The only thing that an engineer doesn't have, is means to counter air. A deployable anti-air turret would be an interesting addition to the game.
    • Up x 2
  14. St NickelStew

I think this would be a more interesting addition to the game than an auto-turret at this point.

Does anyone think about the fact that HA is the one of the best infantry counters to MAXs and vehicles. If HA is nerfed, isn't the next step going to be a call to nerf any and every vehicle in the game?
  15. Xasapis

The best counter to air from the ground in terms of effectiveness, from best to worst, are:
    1. MBT Walker ((magazine size, zoom optics, ammo capacity)
    2. Burster MAX (dual hand, extended magazines)
    3. Aspis Phalanx Turret (no attachments)
    4. Lightning Skyguard (zoom optics, reload speed, ammo capacity)
    5. Sunderer Walker (magazine size, zoom optics, ammo capacity)
    6. Sunderer Ranger (magazine size, zoom optics, ammo capacity)
    7. Heavy Assault (AA rocket)
    (List above is more of in regards to killing potential than number of air targets killed. The amount of tanks with AA on secondary are very low, but they are extremely potent against their natural enemies)

A few on the list may look weird. AA on a tank or Sunderer for example are uncharacteristically high. The reason is simple, it's easier to hit something that comes directly at you, than shooting them as they pass by, like you do with a Skyguard. Base turrets are high, for similar reasons and also the surprise element when a destroyed one gets repaired and starts firing at hovering aircraft. Bursters are also extremely effective, exactly because they are employed as point defenses. On the other hand, lock on rockets lose effectiveness, the more obstacles are between them and the aircraft (Hossin is a particularly bad place for lock on rockets).
  16. FocusLight

That's just it. The shield WILL save you when you get when you get flanked and shot, ambushed, or out-played in a straight-up fight. Taking the statement that I made and blatantly ignoring it to claim the very opposite is dishonest, especially if you then... You have to execute an ambush perfectly to secure the kill on a HA, and if you screw up even a little bit, the HA doesn't have to be very good to kill you instead. This is why people are frustrated. I'm not saying the shield needs to change, but you need to recognize this. ...claim that I "have to recognize this" as if I have to discard my own argument and support yours that run completely contrary to what I said. The rest of your claims about HA's supposed superiority and how the shield can just be turned on to negate any ambush is pure hyperbole and blatant miss-information. I play HA more than enough to know what it is that usually kill me, thank you very much, and I also know enough about the Class to know how to kill them - something I do quite often using every other class out there.

A lot of your argument seems to center on MAXes being better than heavies. Wrong. I made the argument that HA's and MAX'es are the only ones to get the full trinity of Anti-Infantry, Anti-Air and Anti-Vehicle options rolled up in one class. And yes, the MAX is one of the most costly things you can pull in the game, so their use is more strategic. The only think I said about MAX'es being better is their individual effectiveness in the AA, AI and AV roles is better than HA, but HA is still far more versatile - the MAX specialize in their field or accept only half-effectiveness in any of them - and they require a terminal/Sunderer to swap around. HA's still have their versatility at hand at all times. Fine, but that's why MAXes cost 450 nanites. If MAXes were free, you'd pick them over HA most of the time, but they're not.

In outdoor fights, I'll agree other classes can perform just as well as heavies. Indeed, "just as well" as any other class, because the HA can snipe as well as infils, has the mobility of a LA, is just as useful to tank-drivers, and has all the same accuracy at medium range as any Medic's Assault Rifle and has the same utility of the Engi's turrets and ammo packs. The other classes don't "perform as well as heavies" they bring their own class-specific benefits to the field and are as useful as HA's are. However, if you read my post carefully, you know the point I was actually making was that certain classes, mainly LA and infiltrator (engis, too, although the repair tool gives them a place in any fight with MAXes), have the issue that they don't do well indoors, where most of the important fighting occurs. Yeah, ever since SOE nerfed the LA jetpack so LA's cant position well in places no-one else can and killed off Turrets so Engi's can't provide fire-support inside buildings, Ha's have just been wrecking it, man. Oh wait, that has not actually happened. Around a capture point, it's all heavies, medics, and MAXes, My outfit has a different setup. The ultimate take-and-hold crew, going by 12 man squads is 4 medics, 4 engies with AI turrets, 2 MAX'es, 1 LA and 1 infil. Skimp on MAX'es and replace with HA as needed. This is enough to lock down two major directions at once with double Engi turrets + MAX/HA and have darts all over the place, as well as a roof-checker LA and a mobile force of Medics. HA's are less useful because in these conditions teamwork and tactical play trumps pure frontline combat ability. Failure to include the benefits of all classes denies you the use of those benefits. I would not want to replace my only infil with another HA, but hey, what do I know... with just enough engis to keep the MAXes alive and one infiltrator for radar. Light assaults have no place, and you want as few engis or infiltrators as possible while still filling their support role. This is why I said I wanted these classes buffed rather than HA nerfed.

How noble of you. Your argument is still that HA is OP because "The shield WILL save you when you get when you get flanked and shot, ambushed, or out-played in a straight-up fight." You don't seem to understand that being outplayed actually means being out-played - beat.
  17. Corporate Thug

I don't care much for the class because it is just too easy for me to play and how most of the other classes simple don't have enough ammo to kill multiple HA's / mag. I can kill more than one with a 30 round mag but a good portion of the time when I get ambushed or walk into a trap and or forced to hip fire, I often run out of ammo and have to break out my pistol after the first HA. Most people just suck at this game and therefore are easy to kill despite the shields so I don't care much about that aspect, though I do think it's just too easy, but to be disadvantaged due to crappy magazine size when playing any other class is pure b*llz. Massive battles, yet only enough ammo to kill a good one guy of the most popular infantry classes before you are reloading, because we all know a few more heavies are probably right behind him. Thankfully I mostly play TR nowadays and don't have low mag capacity problems.

Why do all ARs and Carbines of any faction have the same clip size for all weapons anyways? Can I please have an alternative, say a 40 round mag for my VS or NC AR/Carbine with less range/accuracy/what ever you need to make it balanced? Even a weapon that is less controllable, same damage per bullet and greater damage drop off than the NS weapons would be appreciated.