Why do people criticize those who main heavy?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dieter Perras, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Rager

You missed the part where we said the class is boring. That is the reason why some people don't enjoy the easy mode.
  2. Drasilov

Heavies are no more OP than any other class. They are frustration causers because its possible for you to get the drop on them and still end up dead but thats the class feature. They do have quite large downsides which everyone conveniently seems to ignore. I used to main heavy when I started and got very familiar with their downsides.

Firstly, once you pop the shield everyone can see you plain as day. Its worse at night where you are a big "please kill me sniper" advert. That plus your movement is slowed = OHK city. The lockon rockets have been nerfed so much they have now become situational. For instance if you are being attacked by air you cant use G2A vs ESF's aanywhere except where there is a big sky and an even horizon because your rockets will invariably hit terrain.

AV rockets pretty much just tickle tanks. Useful for annoying them but not a par on C4 or AT mines. The dumbfire is the best one because you can kill maxes with it and some infantry - but thats also been nerfed.

The LMG is very inaccurate but to a newbie learning to aim then so many bullets means you should hit with at least SOME of them before the lethal reload.

The shield is destroyed in a millisecond in any situation except a 1vs1 CQC. Also it does nothing to stop being one shotted by snipers.

The game should never be balanced on a 1vs1 basis. Its not a small scale online shooter, its a combined arms massive scale game. As such, nerfing the heavy yet again will mean more and more will just pull a max.

Remember the SOE mantra...rebalance = make it utterly useless in all situations.

And as I said, if they are so OP - go play one. Nobody is stopping you.
    • Up x 2
  3. Hosp

It wouldn't be OP. Bad gameplay, but not OP.

Also, this isn't D&D where you have the magic combo, Tank/Heal/Support/DPS. It doesn't have to be balanced in that way. It's balanced around HAs do the killing and the other classes support that in some way.
  4. OldMaster80

No downside? Shining like a xmas tree, being slowed down and having a long skill cooldown sound like downsides to me.
    i mainly play Engineer and Infiltrator and no big issues with HA. HA are shock troopers, they should possibly not be engaged in face to face 1 vs 1 fights without having a good knowledge of the game.
    • Up x 1
  5. Drasilov

So sniping from waaaaay away from the battle with the only danger being counter sniped is not easy mode? Oh and getting free kills with prox mines when you arent even in the same part of the world? Easy point caps, ghost caps and easy xp hacking turrets etc behind enemy lines? that ISNT easy mode?

Medic - getting tons of xps for rezzing deadies. You dont need to aim and if you get hit you can always rely on self heal. How to gain certs in easy mode = medic.

Engy, like the medic, you dont even need a gun to make certs. You dont even have to be in a base thats being attacked. You can just rep stuff after the battle. Pop an AV turret indoors and it takes an entire squad to root you out if you know how to place your turret. And AFK kills with AT mines again...that isnt easy mode?

LA - C4, killing people from places nobody can even see you, can instantly kill a tank, sunderer or max in one hit? Can freaking fly out of harms' way if needed.

An HA gets ALL his xp from fighting in one form or another. If you are levelling one then you are going to be the one capping contested points, running into buildings and taking fire and very likely the only freaking one actually doing anything about air if you arent in a plane yourself or a max.

Easy mode? Nope. You want easy mode - go Sniper.
    • Up x 1
  6. Robes

Did you really just try using ways to gain certs as the argument HA isn't OP while fighting other classes? lawl

Also, how does a LA one shot a sunderer?
    • Up x 2
  7. Rager

Sniping requires aim, and has a weakness. Heavy weakness is "They light up so easily seen" Infil, requires tons more skill, because of the glass cannon factor, even sniping requires more skill that hit a shield button and win.

Sorry, but lets not play off like heavy is some type of skilled play here. In a game balance around gun play. Having a class that outshines in almost all areas, has made the game dull. Heavy players really are no skilled, but that is ok. Games like this needs a newbie class.
    • Up x 1
  8. Daithm

I get a bit frustrated at times when I run into heavies and having a difficult time taking care of them even when I get the drop on them. Many times I will try to go head to head and I get punished for making that mistake. I just dislike having the drop by flanking a heavy and seeing them pop on their shield and turn towards me spraying their weapon. They can at times kill me as an engineer almost instantly but I get why it happens. I play support and sometimes get mixed up in the heavy combat which is not good for engineers. We have no real offensive capabilities like health regen ,additional shielding, or cloak. We are all around classes that are better off playing at longer ranges. The only adjustments I could see making me or others more happy is if the heavy could not just punch the shield activate and have it fully charged and ready instantly.
  9. I play by many names

This.
    • Up x 1
  10. Imperial Sect

Forgot to add this in my previous post. Another thing about heavy assault is they have 0 choices to make. They are the best at everything all the time. There's no choice in whether they want to be the best at AI killing or AT killing or Max killing.
  11. Rager

Logic is lost on people.
  12. hostilechild

False, if you ambush an HA and do it correctly not missing half you shots you will down him before he can react/press shield. TTK < latency+reaction time+latency again especially when you consider ambushing usually means headshots. Even if they by some miracle get the shield up in an ambush, you still are basically on even footing shield+scrap of health vs your full. (smg/carbine/ar) all have enough ammo to drop 2 people in close range/ambush (well not 2 HA) so even with shield you can and should win. smg ttk<lmg

HA shield is also not always deployable. It has a limited duration and recharge time. Then there is the all to frequent insta death from all shots hitting in 1 update. Typically when i am playing engie and meet up with an HA, if i get the drop i win or he gets shield off i missed a few and we kill each other. (although i usually just hit them with a sticky, die then watch them turn to goo and hope for a rez)
  13. Hosp

That's a subjective opinion that seems logical. But the premise on which it's founded, being "HA should be more 'balanced' when compared to the other classes" is opinion to begin with and therefore inherently flawed.

Where in the handbook of making video games does it say it has to be balanced that way?
    Just because you want something a certain way doesn't mean it's broken the way it is.
  14. Bape

The only time you should use HA is if you are outnumbered 2:1 or 3:1.
  15. Robertooooo

Yeah cause playing as a SMG/scout rifle infiltrator requires that much skill :rolleyes:

The players that have such problems defeating HA's shouldn't really comment on the supposed low skill of the HA players. If any of you really have such problems defeating the average HA player the problem is on your end.
    • Up x 1
  16. Robes

You can use that same argument for absolutly anything in the game, like launch rocketpods/libs, think those should have stayed like that?
  17. Fatal_Finn

Yeah, if you want to fight HA, play HA. Just one vicious circle.

The advantage over every other infantry class is ridiculous. I really think Resist Shield should only absorb damage from explosions, MAX weapons and vehicle weapons. That way it would be balanced vs infantry and you would still have extra shields to use against MAX, aircraft and vehicles.

At the current state I can start shooting HA's back first and still end up being killed. That has nothing to do with "game knowledge".
  18. z1967

Technically, you can kill one in a few seconds by laying your C4, detonating said C4, shooting one UBGL round, and then finishing off with the crossbow. This assumes that:
    -your enemy does not know you are there
    -your enemy is not repairing the sunderer
    -you don't screw up anything
    -the sunderer doesn't even have the first rank of blockade or AMS shield
    -your C4 explodes and does damage (doesn't always happen as planned...)

So no, you cannot one shot a sunderer. However, assuming flawless execution, you can kill a sunderer in two seconds from the time you detonates the C4 to the last shot of crossbow bolts. It almost never goes that way and thus is only a hypothetical.
  19. xCable

I love my heavy. I play it 50% of the time. The other time used mostly as an engy. Heavies are great point defense units because of the large amounts of ammo and hp/shield. I can equip it with anti anything because of the rocket launcher. Phoenix spam is a good deterrent and highly accurate. Raven/hawk/annihilater are great anti vehicle. Decimator is good to clear out a hole or vsing a tank up close.

Half the time I've played heavy I always had c4 on him but found it useless unless I found a enemy sundy. Medkits are much better almost always. I'd rather spawn a c4 LA to take out vehicles.

Anyways heavy is a great point defense but slow run time and slow to scope with weapons like em6.

I don't understand why you would cqc a heavy with any other class other than a max/heavy.
  20. Hosp

Nope. My argument is in regard to a greater game balance. Your example is only about aircraft. You CAN use my argument for that. But then you'd be taking it out of context.

As I mentioned somewhere else, you have games which balance around the fact that most classes have about an equal number of players. This game is balanced around the fact that there are alot more HA. And it's up to the HA to keep their support alive and vice versa. And it works fine.

EDIT: The game might play like a giant TDM...it doesn't mean it has to be balanced like one.