Which VS guns work for medium range + to extreme/with what setups?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Zapon, May 17, 2014.

1. Zapon

So, I've been hovering around 10,000 certs, and decided to upgrade my guns a bit and possibly get a new one to help my fighting at medium range, long range, and extreme long range-

I currently have the Orion, the SVA-88, and the Pulsar LSW- I have the NV scope for the orion, and one of the scopes for the SVA- i think either a 3.4 or a 4X, - nothing else yet

However, when I'm fighting at ranges of 60+ meters, or especailly 100+, 150+ meters , I get stomped by enemies quite often-

What are my options?

From what i've gathered, the SVA- 88 is a medium range weapon that isn't really for extreme long range(though i've wondered if a compensator would let me play ball at those hundred ranges)

and the weapons of choice for that sort of range(and actually winning fights) are the Ursa, Flare, Eidolon, or, to give up on the heavy weapons ,switch to infiltrator, buy a gun other than the default VS sniper I have- and slap a scope of some sort then start going to town in order to become efficent and quick at shooting at ranges like this

I've heard the LSW's recoil is the most manageable, which makes me think it might actually be good for long ranges/ extreme range-

I have no problem getting the Ursa rather than the flare- but do those two exceed the battle rifle at distance?

Any advice?
  2. reydelchicken

Pulsar LSW has a high first shot recoil multiplier, which can make it quite hard to use at distance since you'll have to be burst firing.
    The orion has a bit too much horizontal shake to be that effective at distance, but it can work.

I haven't used the ursa outside of trials, but I have the auraxium for the flare and I would personally recommend it for all situations, with a forward grip, compensator and hva.

I also have the aurax for the battle rifle, and honestly, it's not that great at longer ranges due to the somewhat low bullet velocity. I think it works much better for mid-range, where you can definitely see the advantage of the gun's accuracy.
    • Up x 1
  3. Zapon

Finally a comparison of the ursa/flare to the eidolon for extreme range..

Looks like in the future I may consider the Ursa/Flare then-
  4. Ripshaft

Ursa's a fine gun, though it does seem to have a bit of a "sweet spot" that's fairly narrow - I havent tried it with HVA since the HVA buff though so that might factor into it a bit. I havent tried the flare yet but it's on my list. I just got the NS-15m and am already about to aurax it - it's a superb general purpose weapon, and is phenomenally easy to control at range. I'd definately consider it an option.

Most importantly is just to invest in a weapon designed for longer ranges and try it out - the VR performance is extremely misleading - the ursa and ns15m both performed dramatically different than expected outside of VR.

though yeah the ns15m is definately my go-to for my VS heavy these days, such a great gun.
  5. Bl4ckVoid

LMG: get the FLARE or the URSA.
    I do not recommend scopes above 2x. You will be ineffective with the LMG at ranges where you need larger magnification.

LSW or SVA imho are both bad at range due to low damage. But all LMGs are quite bad at range due to COF bloom (which is too much in this game).

For longer ranges I actually recommend the Lasher or the Eidolon. Put 4x OG scope on the Eidolon and it works pretty good, you can even countersnipe enemy snipers (use the shield when you do this). If you have to CQC than you will be outgunned.

Lasher: 2x reflex + extended mag or laser. Dance and fire away. I regularly kill enemy snipers with it, provided they are not behind a hilltop in which case the Lasher is totally useless. The splash damage works wonders on infiltrators and the incoming orbs blind them pretty well. Use ADS at longer ranges and hipfire for anything CQC.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mongychops

If you are purely worried about long range, the Ursa is the gun to get. It is the VS LMG with the lowest; horizontal recoil, vertical recoil (per second), and first shot recoil multiplier, but the highest bullet velocity. As a 167 damage weapon, if you are stationary, the first shot is pretty accurate, combine that with the very low first shot recoil, and you have an excellent burst gun. Despite the high damage per magazine (75x167) its fast reload is actually pretty fast. The Ursa's main problem is that at shorter ranges the poor damage per second is going to be a liability.

The Eidolon is nice, however, compared to the other faction equivalents it has lower bullet velocity. So although no bullet drop is good for headshotting an engi on his AV turret several hundred metres away, the lower velocity makes hitting moving targets a fair bit harder. On the plus side, the Eidolon hits hard, and if you take it slow, pinpoint accurate, so rewards practice, and is very adaptable for close range. I like using a 4x crosshair for easy headshots (or 2x reflex if I may end up closer), a flash suppressor, laser sight and HVA. The flash suppressor lets you take a bit more time over your shots without attracting attention as quickly (especially at night), and the laser sight means you aren't totally helpless if caught in CQC, HVA of course to help make up for the poor bullet velocity.

The Flare is ok, and compared to the Ursa, has a little extra DPS to help you out at close range, but compared to the Ursa, the Flare has; higher vertical recoil, higher horizontal recoil, higher first shot recoil, and lower bullet velocity. Which outweighs the higher DPS at long range.

Pulsar LSW, it does have fairly low vertical recoil, but it isn't that great at long range. Its horizontal recoil is middling, and its first shot recoil is very high. On the plus side, its cheap to buy, and although it can't get a compensator, it does get a flash suppressor which can be useful, and as said before, it is viable at most ranges.

Polaris, now, you may see the SPA and the ALS in the attachments and see it as a hipfire bullet hose, but actually it has; access to a compensator, decent bullet velocity, super low vertical recoil, 100 bullets in the magazine and surprisingly low first shot recoil (usually low vertical recoil guns have high first shot recoil). It has many disadvantages of course, like its middling horizontal recoil, and not particularly good damage, but it is a possible.

NS-15M, This has already been mentioned by another poster. It's advantages for long range are numerous; good attachments for long range, low vertical recoil, high recoil decrease, first shot recoil is low compared to vertical recoil, and high bullet velocity. What it has that none of the other of these guns has got is 0.75x ADS movement, while moving does mess with your CoF, if you're worried about snipers, it's going to be more important to mess with their accuracy than yours. It is also (as a NS weapon) viable at nearly every range, depending on how you do the attachments. On the down side, it has very low damage per second, low damage per magazine, and the horizontal recoil is middling.
    • Up x 2
  7. KnightCole

Yeah, ive VRd the Ursa, it seems like its a highly accurate and easily controlled weapon.

Slap a Comp, your choice of optics and grips on it.

Seems like its a decent ranged weapon.

Battle Rifles just suck for some reason still. They got a velocity buff, that was nice but still slack.
  8. FireclawX

NS 15M if you aren't good with recoil management

Flare/Ursa if you are (their practically the same gun with the flare having a lil more damage and recoil)
  9. Bl4ckVoid

Correction: It is not just the damage, but cone of fire (COF) that matters at range. It is a random deviation from center that gets bigger with each shot (COF bloom).

High COF weapons are inaccurate when firing in bursts. Flare and Ursa have low COF (0.03), all the other LMGs have higher COF (0.1). Bloom is paradoxically a bit higher on the low COF weapons, but that matters less.
  10. yeHHH1g

Pick up the NS-15 since it sounds like you are having problems controlling recoil at range. That gun has almost zero recoil and is super easy to compensate for. Also, you shouldn't be dueling enemies at 100+ meters, at that range snipers will pick you off so easily. Learn to not fire at everything you see and close the gap before shooting.
  11. Liberty

75 to 100 M is realistically the upper limit of full auto weapons. This is not to say you can not get kills @100+ M as you will have plenty of people who will stand still until they are dead or be so far from cover you can simply wear them down. You can still do this with the Orion and SVA, just use shorter bursts and don't move. (Obviously you don't want to be sniper bait, so stop - burst - move - repeat unless you are confident you aren't in danger from snipers or are willing to chance it.)

If you can swap loadouts by the time you close to 50 M, use a battle rifle. If you are looking to fight mostly at long range, but have to transition to closer ranges before being able to switch weapons, use the Ursa or Flare. Ursa is a bit better suited for long range, Flare for Mid to Long.

For range engagements, generally you want the weapon with lower ROF and higher bullet damage. As someone mentioned, you want a low starting CoF which means your initial bursts will be more accurate.

(Someone also mentioned these weapons have higher bloom, what they actually have his higher bloom per shot at a lower rate of fire. 143 weapons bloom less per shot than 167, but the highest 167 damage weapon outside of SMGs fires at 600 RPM while the slowest 143 fires at 652)
    • Up x 2
  12. MorganM

Am I the only one that read this and couldn't get past the premise? I can't even recall a time I was 'stomped' by an enemy LMG at 100+ meters. Let alone have it happen so often I feel the need to get into some deep dive on which LMG + loadout woudl be best to counter attack.

Engaging infantry at 100 to 150 meters with an LMG? Square peg ... round hole... comes to mind.
    • Up x 1
  13. Ruvan

This. Even 60m is on the outer bounds of where you should be engaging someone with an LMG, if not past it.

You're going to be food for a good sniper at that ranges past 50m, although I'll admit there aren't very many of those.
  14. Zapon

I've been wondering about that, having found my SVA - 88 with the 3.4 or 4X scpoe(cant remember which) can't quite place any real fire on opponents except a shot or two every once in a while- single shot or auto ....

I mainly run into this issue in large fights where large enemy forces are nearby- and they are a base over, and some are shooting here and there in my direction- and I may be part of a large group, and I'll see one or two enemies at that range taking shots and attempt to fire back(i know suppression doesn't really occur very often)..... and I'll get hit quite a bit-

And it's not always snipers I will see shooting at me- if it is a sniper- I will move and get out of the sightlines of field since a sniper can land 2 shots or so and down me- but the LMG users firing from range- I feel like I should be able to beat them at the potshot game they play....

and there are not always cases where you can get closer- I do pick my fights, but it would seem some fights aren't worth picking even if you aren't technically at a disadvantage.
  15. Pie Chasm

Battle rifle (Eidolon). Never lose an engagement at those ranges again vs. anything other than a sniper.

If you absolutely need a fully automatic weapon, then Ursa.

Flare is a bit harder to use than the Ursa, but still viable and it gives you more CQC-mid viability if you have to charge in.

Attachments and scopes are a flavor issue. Try it in the VR first before you commit.

Life before VR kind of sucked..
    • Up x 1
  16. ElectricSheepDream

Yeah, you shouldn't try to engage targets at those ranges with LMGs.
  17. Zapon

K, since i find myself reverting from the SVA with the 3.4 to the Orion i have with the NV- I'm going to in the future get the NV scope and maybe a 2X- and put them both on the SVA( i'd rather not get a 1X unless the 2X sucks hard- as it seems a bit stupid to have a sight without zoom- although I now heavily suspect sights do something like change COF.- which explains why so many people use them and why they might beat out ironsights)

I hate that this 3.4 scope doesn't do too well at range- the 4X scope would have been even harder, huh?

I also dislike that, When you zoom in, it isn't even really zoom- it looks like my chars head is still a bit of distance from the scope..... I blame COD's ACOG scope implementation for this method of doing zoom in a game...anyway

So it'll be battle rifle, ursa, and flare - I have a suspicion i may go for the Ursa over the flare- and as for the battle rifle- I imagine it may not be easy getting kills with it even in it's state today..

Also going to have to pull out my Pulsar LSW and see just what it does in mid range fights
  18. minozake

The Eidelon is an all-around good gun for short and medium range, but slap a 6x scope on it, you have decent long range.
  19. lawn gnome

nova + slug rounds: no one ever believes me until they try it, but with a 4x scope it is like a mini sniper rifle. the problem though is it takes a full clip to down someone with hip fire because most of your shots WILL miss completely due to the shotgun cone of fire, but when you are using sights it is insanely accurate and 3 shots will drop most infantry at any range. also it has a very high rate of fire so you can ripple off your 3 shots as fast as you can aim. i used mine to regularly drop snipers at range before i switched to my lasher (i like it because it is much better for team play). i am pretty sure the nova/slug combo was the best for my KD of any primary weapon.
  20. lNeBl

All the ones that are half-***** NC weapons. Flare and Ursa