When will planet side 2 come out for Imac

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by ElvisTheDuck, Sep 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nubery

"You can do more on a mac." What exactly is this more you speak of?
  2. Klypto

• Up x 1
  3. Notih8Darian

That's nothing compared to my nokia
    [IMG]
    I can play with everything on ultra with a steady 80 FPS
    • Up x 7
  4. Zotamedu

Must have missed that they changed their minds because I know for a fact that they were talking about making one in the future.
  5. m44v

Source?
  6. Zotamedu

No the Playstation 4 will not support DX11. They have the same functionality as DX and their development tools have some features to translate DX11 to Playstation code. Here's a thread explaining it. The really good parts are at the last page: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread.php/313702-PS4-can-use-DirectX-11-DEBUNKEDEDEDED

That's why Valve is stepping up. It seems they want to build one gaming platform. The rumoured Steam Box would run Linux. The thing is that there isn't that much of a difference between the different distributions when looking lower down. Linux is modular like that. So as long as you stick to some of the major distributions and stay clear of some of the small and obscure versions, they you're fine.
  7. Zotamedu

The thing is, they could have made those engines for OpenGL when they first designed them. OpenGL has the same functionality but it's apparently a little bit trickier to code for but it's all there. Now they are invested in one API and we have what's known as technology or vendor lock in. If you design your core engine smart from the beginning, then you can quite easily get it to work with pretty much any graphics API. I assume that's how Blizzard works.

Have they fixed Wine support for newer versions of DX? Last I checked it worked pretty fine for DX9 but horribly for newer versions. It's also not always very stable so you will want to dual boot if you are serious about gaming. Linux also suffers from driver problems from both Nvidia and AMD. They just don't bother with the drivers as they do with Windows.
  8. Zotamedu

I am terribly sorry. I got my OSs mixed up. It's the other way around. They have talked about a Mac version but no Linux version. My bad. Sadly I cannot go back and change my previous posts. This time limit of editing is utterly stupid.
  9. Peebuddy

The only PC company that even comes close to Apples over priced aesthetics/ name brand is Alienware.

Seriously, spend a couple hours learning how to build a computer and ordering the parts online. You'll have a computer just as good as completed store models at half the cost and often with better part cohesion, saving you thousands down the line. PCs also allow you to switch out old models/ parts so you don't have to completely overhaul your machine,in a PC the only time you really should buy a new one is when your mother drive/ OS becomes outdated. Which is about every 4-5 years

Even if you don't want to figure out how to assemble it, many places will do it for $50-80
  10. Delnar_Ersike

In most cases, you are correct: nowadays, OpenGL and DirectX offer very similar functionality. However, there are some niche DirectX features that just don't have OpenGL equivalents (e.g. tessellation), not to mention not having to worry about slight differences in hardware implementation when using DirectX at the slight expense of performance (hence why you have developers like Valve saying OpenGL is faster, but most developers choosing to stick with DirectX). Blizzard has always made their games to be able to run well on old hardware, hence why they can port their games to Mac so easily, and has had the programmer manpower and the capital to afford working on a Mac port. The manpower part is also why a lot of games don't have Mac ports: many game studios, including SOE, employ a lot less programmers than non-programmers, so the coders are busy enough as it is implementing the stuff artists and designers cook up and fixing the stuff QA points out without also having to worry about porting their engine to an entirely different graphical library.

As for Wine, AFAIK, DX9 is still the only version properly supported, though I have been able to cobble together working DX10 and DX11 installations after a day of messing around with files and library overrides. Ever since Valve released Linux support for Steam though, both AMD and nVidia have stepped up their game when it comes to Linux drivers; just be sure to get the releases from their websites instead of the repositories.
  11. DuckSauce

I like Mac too.

[IMG]

And it runs Planetside just as well!
    • Up x 2
  12. Zotamedu

There you are wrong. Tessellation has been in OpenGL for a while now (http://www.opengl.org/wiki/Tessellation). There are many misconceptions about OpenGL not being as advanced which is not really true. I think the main reason why we're not all running OpenGL now is that they shot themselves in the foot repeatedly in the early days of development.

The difference is not always slight. I assume you have seen the tests Valve did with Left 4 Dead. They got another 10 % performance by just adding a translation layer that did a 1:1 mapping of DirectX calls to OpenGL.

As I said, it doesn't have to be difficult to port as long as you write your engine for it from scratch. If you don't hardcode all the API stuff into the code itself but instead set up your own set of functions that then calls an API, then you can use those functions as black boxes. Then you only need to change those functions to make it work with different APIs. It's more work than just using one API but it's not rewriting the entire engine.

I think that's the thing with Wine. You often have to spend quite a lot of time tweaking it to get it to work. I've heard people playing PLanetside 2 through Wine and it's apparently quite a pain to get it to work decently. That's what keeps gamers away. Or atleast, that what makes them dual boot.
  13. XRIST0

14. ElvisTheDuck

Im going to ask a moderator to shut this post down becuse all the answers are just making fun of me because i have a imac.
    You people are a discrase to the computer world
  15. Gammit

Because they like to pay more than 2x the amount?
  16. IamDH

It was a joke and thats the point i was trying to make

Sooo.. yes
    • Up x 1
  17. Silver Fox

disgrace**

If you're going to insult people, make sure you do it properly.
    • Up x 1
  18. Gammit

Or a disgrace, even. But to be fair, you did ask a game-related question about an Apple product.
  19. TheFencer0

Ib4L!

To answer your question, while you may find that Apple products are very easy to you (and so some extent they are easier for some), the fact of the matter is that Apple OS's are not easy to code for. In fact, they are very, very annoying to code for. So much so that many companies that make games determined that the costs of recoding for MAC would not give enough returns to merit doing the work.

The hammer of it is that the game will likely never be release for any Apple OS. Sorry, fellow. I would have loved to frag you a ton (I assume Apple people are more inclined to VS than NC, but I may be wrong), but alas, unless you use bootcamp or get a PC, it is not to be.
  20. Van Dax

don't worry its just his superior mac is making sure he isn't making any typos, everybody else is spelling it wrong.
    • Up x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.