What's wrong with the gatekeeper [showcase] in under a minute

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheFlamingLemon, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Reclaimer77

Yes assuming all shells hit. Except in REAL LIFE it's an utter certainty you CANNOT miss with the Gatekeeper, while you absolutely will miss with any MBT main cannot at those ranges.

I am not wrong.

The Gatekeeper is a point n' click adventure from any range. That is why it's OP. Not it's DSP, not it's damage, not it's bla bla bla.
    • Up x 2
  2. Azawarau

Sniping players isnt an issue except the accuracy and stream of fire can be problematic for people being camped in doorways since theres almost always a stream of damage coming out

Im talking about taking out a spawn point from farther than anything can viably counter

I already have

Im not talking from inexperience here

The GK is one of the most efficient at it and has more access to more areas than MBT or lightning tanks or the same kinds of quick escapes

Also when you add the GK fire rate to the lockdown prowlers already annoying stream of fire it makes for one of the most difficult camping tools to fire back from
  3. Slandebande

For what reason? A deployed Sundy isn't moving, so any of the other AV weapons (excluding the CQC-variants of course) will do better (due to higher DPS). If you cannot hit stationary targets with those weapons, you need practice.

The GK relies on a steady stream of fire being unloaded towards the target. Find ways to break this steady stream of fire, and your advantage soars. A good example is utilizing cover between Halberd reloads.

I actually love fighting against Prowlers that camp with the GK, and prefer them over the Prowlers using the Halberd, simply because ducking in and out of cover is so effective. In this case, effective against both the GK AND the Prowler itself, especially if the Prowler is Anchored. Negating their steady stream of fire advantage (if a GK is equipped) enables you to practically win a head-on engagement against a Prowler in either a Magrider or a Vanguard without using special abilities.

What the GK excels at is plinking (but definitely not outright destroying) moving targets that would otherwise be beyond your reach, but it isn't the unstoppable killing machine many people make it out to be. It gives sub-par gunners a larger chance of helping the driver.

I'm not saying the GK isn't too easy to use of course (just look at my suggestions previously in this thread).

Right, show me someone who has 100% accuracy at ranges where the main cannons won't have 100% accuracy. The nature of the GK's steady stream of fire (as well as the small amount of bloom) will make it nearly impossible to achieve 100% accuracy. Clearly an exaggeration, and sounds like its coming from someone who has barely used the GK or the primaries. Even though I know the answer, how much time have you spent using the GK and the various tanks primary weapons?

I'm generally not one to use (a lack of) experience against someone in an argument, but if you are making claims like that, you better have experience to back it up. If it's coming from someone who has only spent 1 hour in a Magrider (actually less), then I won't hesitate.

Not saying the GK shouldn't be made slightly harder to use, but your claims are crazy.
  4. Metrack12

Well that answers me question. Shouldn't they nerfed to Enforcer/Saron explosive damage?
  5. Haquim

The Gatekeeper deals 75(0.6m) - 25(3m), the Lasher deals 75(1m) - 25(3m)
    The Saron deals 200(1m) - 1(2m) and the Enforcer deals 334(1m) - 1(2m)

Are you really sure you want this?
    • Up x 1
  6. Azawarau

The issue isnt that they can

They dont do it as well or as safely as the gatekeeper especially when on a prowler

Using cover between halberd reloads isnt as efficient at 600 meters. Again the issue isnt what it can do. The issue is how efficient the gatekeeper is at doing it

Im going to say the same thing i always do

If you have a gatekeeper you arent going to be in head on engagements. Saying that youre at a disadvantage head on isnt even relevant. Keep in mind im talking about long distance advantages. A prowler or mag rider wont have any advantage if they cant get close

The gatekeepers accuracy is enough to accurately shoot things from very long distance with relative ease compared to other weapons. Thats the only issue with it. If it had a range cap itd be fine

Ive played for 2-3 years and have lvl 40-45 TR and Vanu and a 102 NC

Im not inexperienced at all.

Keep it in the realm of GK sniping rather than anything else for your next post
    • Up x 2
  7. Taemien

One thing I've learned playing NC and TR is sundy placement has to be done so that there is NO LoS outside the effective range of the weapons we are using. The reason for this is due to the Lancer and the Vortex. The range on those weapons and their accuracy has been unmatched for quite some time.

Now enter the GK, and the VS now have to experience what the NC and TR always have. I've never complained about those laser weapons. They serve a purpose. Just like when I first encountered the GK on my NC. Alright.. no big deal they can do what the VS can do. And even then it wasn't that much trouble.

Why? Because I naturally like to place my sunderers where they can't easily be hit by infantry based weapons.

So why is the GK so nasty? Efficient? There's a few weapons that are efficient for Sundy hunting. I could list them, but you all know what they are.

The issue comes down to a toy the TR got, that they didn't originally have. Nothing more.

Everytime I use a GK, its because the armor is just too thick to effectively use a Vulcan. But the funny thing that happens is when the enemy armor gets too thick.. the rule of ninjas and jedi applies.. the more of them there are.. the dumber they get.

Believe me, the same complaints happened about the Lancer and Vortex when they came out. Phoenix was even worse. As did the AV MANA turret. And of course the Ravens. Fractures will be too once they lose the 'wobble'.

The Meta Changes.. people rankle at finding new ways to deal with threats. What I find funny about the TR is you handle them just like you do the VS. But NO, they're the red guys, they HAVE to be dealt with like THIS. There's the issue.

Its not efficency, its not balance, its not even theme. Its principle. Just the principle of the matter that the TR has long range. They've always been short range.. even when they've been devastatingly OP at short range.. people prefer that.. because that's what it was. Not what it is now. That's what upsets them.

They'll use staged videos, untrue stats, and even BUGs to back up their claims that the GK should be deleted. Because lets be honest. They want the GK to be deleted from the game, or a dumbed down Vulcan.

They'd rather be gibbed in Milliseconds than have to take a second to remember to put some cover between them and the TR.

So what about Hossin? You all realize it nullifies the GK right? Why doesn't the NC and TR make that the new Indar if the GK is so bad? Well I can answer that.. its not that bad. And they know it.

Prove me wrong. Move the fight to Hossin. I bet you all won't.
    • Up x 3
  8. Metrack12

My bad,I forgot to check the stats,though
  9. KingKable

There were more than a few AP shells from Prowlers in that video.
  10. LodeTria

Most VS don't use the Lancer even though they should because it's such a good AV launcher. If the VS used the Lancer as much as the TR used the GK, it would have to be nerfed because the vehicle game would be so screwed up.

There's no reason to not use the gatekeeper on a prowler, as the usefulness at range/Ease of use far outweighs the minor DPS drop you get in comparison to the halberd. The range is also much more useful than the DPS of a CQC weapon. It is even serviceable as AI aswell, but it is by no means good.
    • Up x 1
  11. SpeedFreakPS1

The Lancer requires several lancers coordinated on the same target to be as effective as you are describing, this is not the case with the gatekeeper.
    • Up x 1
  12. Taemien

Same thing with the Phoenix actually. I've been able to use a 4 man squad to drop entire Armor columns. But NC won't use it.
  13. Azawarau

eal with threats. What I find funny about the TR is you handle them just like you do the VS. But NO, they're the red guys, they HAVE to be dealt with like THIS. There's the issue.

Its not efficency, its not balance, its not even theme. Its principle. Just the principle of the matter that the TR has long range. They've always been short range.. even when they've been devastatingly OP at short range.. people prefer that.. because that's what it was. Not what it is now. That's what upsets them.

They'll use staged videos, untrue stats, and even BUGs to back up their claims that the GK should be deleted. Because lets be honest. They want the GK to be deleted from the game, or a dumbed down Vulcan.

They'd rather be gibbed in Milliseconds than have to take a second to remember to put some cover between them and the TR.

So what about Hossin? You all realize it nullifies the GK right? Why doesn't the NC and TR make that the new Indar if the GK is so bad? Well I can answer that.. its not that bad. And they know it.

Prove me wrong. Move the fight to Hossin. I bet you all won't.[/quote]

There are many bases where placing a sundie that way is impractical. We both know that. I havnt tried the lancer but the Vortex really falls off in accuracy at long distances

You can hit but itll spread just enough that you wont be effective . Source:The 20 minutes i spent trying to destroy that watchtower turret from the spawn room on that one Esamir base i cant name

One lancer nearly as much of an issue as one gatekeeper. Several gatekeepers certainly deal more damage but the lancer has the instant boom advantage that makes reaction kind of not possible

And stop saying TR has always been short range. Theyve been long range AV and always will be long range AV with lockdown prowlers

If anything NC is short range with their limited range ravens and cant hit a moving target falcons, the vanguard being the CQC , shotguns, ect. If the VS or NC had the gatekeeper id say the same thing, It needs to be changed. Its not a matter of a faction having something new (And it doesnt. Thats not even arguable) . Its the thing being too effective

Lets assume hossin nullifies GK. Lets just do it cause **** it i feel experimental with this now. Its still just as effective on the otehr 3 continents.

Ive had to deal with GK while tree sniping in trees with the archer 600 meters up and 500 meters away. It was just as effective there.

Watchtower battles where you want a-

Im too Sick and tired for this. I need to go find medicine so place a rant here for me and reply to it
  14. LodeTria

Nah it actually doesn't take that many lancers for it to become a real problem. 3 Lancers can 1 mag (2 full charges each) a sunderer in 6 seconds at most ranges. It will also do very large damage to most vehicles that aren't killed by the 2nd charge, and this happens out to 850m.

You are right that the Gatekeeper doesn't require any co-ordination at all to be a threat though.
  15. Slandebande

I'll repeat myself, if you have trouble hitting deployed Sundies at 600m using a Halberd, Saron, Enforcer etc, you need to practice using those weapons. This is childs-play, and not something you need the GK for, seriously. The GK is semi-decent at such ranges against slow-moving targets, but you aren't going to be hitting moving targets reliably at 600m with a GK either (combination of slight bloom + 1½ second travel time). For shooting deployed Sundies at 600m (and closer for that matter) I'll take the Halberd any day over the GK.

Why not? Please explain this to me. You don't always have to use cover between every reload (especially at such ranges), but it is a super-effective way to counter Prowlers (especially the ones using the GK). It makes it very easy to force them back to repair, and thereafter you can move closer with impunity during their downtime. If you are at ranges shorter than 600m, it just becomes increasingly effective.

I never disagreed with the GK needed something to make it harder to use. I don't find the GK to be a threat at long-range though personally. I would actually be a bit sad if the GK got nerfed/changed, mostly because much fewer of my opponents would be using it, meaning they would most likely switch to the Halberd/Vulcan which are generally more threatening weapons to experienced tankers.

Really? I see them all over the place, mainly because it is so easy to use that even bad random gunners can be somewhat effective (they still aren't NEAR as effective as a good Halberd gunner though within normal tank-engagement range). Against stationary Anchored Prowlers, I find the Halberd to be very effective, even at the absurd ranges. If the weapon was made harder to use, less people would use it (and they might actually use it for its intended purpose).

I assume you meant a Vanguard / Magrider in the above statement? Also, if you cannot close the gap to less than 600m, something is very wrong. If you are talking about 300m or so, you shouldn't have issues hitting a Anchored Prowler. For the record, at 600m, you won't be hitting a good Magrider driver with anything NEAR decent accuracy even with the GK.

I (personally) don't think an effective range cap is the way to go, as that limits the potential of the weapon. Not many (if any) tank-AV weapons have a range cap, and introducing it for the GK would be weird. I would prefer to make it harder to use effectively at those long ranges, so it requires a more skilled gunner than it currently does. Skill should be rewarded.

I would personally do something along the lines of tweaking the velocity + drop (lowered velocity and/or increased gravity of the projectile), and perhaps tweak the fire-rate (RPM) to be slightly lower, but increasing the damage/shot to compensate (not nerfing, not buffing, just changing). The reduced velocity would mean it would be harder to lead targets (especially at range) and increased drop means additional compensation is needed at long range. Both aspects can be made up for by player-skill (which is how it should be imo). Reducing the RPM would also mean it would be less forgiving, also rewarding someone who is skilled enough to actually land a good percentage of the shots.

I don't know why you are responding to me with this statement, as I never commented upon your experience. If you check my previous post carefully, you will see the last part of my post was a response to someone else.

Keep your responses relevant to my replies to you for your next post (or at least check to whom I'm replying before taking it personally).

I definitely agree, as a long-time tanker, the weapon I fear the most is (by far) the Lancer. Being insta-gibbed with no warning, from beyond render range can be a bit tedious :rolleyes:

There are actually numerous reasons to not use the GK on the Prowler. The DPS-drop is only "minor" if you are going to be keeping up your fire-rate to maximum without pause. Being exposed for the full duration of a tank engagement (especially in large battles) is generally a very dangerous thing to do. Once you start utilizing cover, the effectiveness of a weapon like the Halberd soars compared to the GK. At the range where normal tank-engagements take place (generally within 300m) you shouldn't have many issues landing the Halberd shots assuming a decent gunner.

The Halberd also complements the Prowler main-cannons very nicely, which is something many people won't consider. 1 AP Shell + 1 Halberd = dead ESF. 2 AP Shells + 1 Halberd to the rear of a Lightning is instant death (or ½ second instant). The Halberd 1-shots pesky MANA-AV turrets (a good gunner can reliably take them out at ranges upwards of 300m on the first shot if you aren't moving).

If you want I can go more in-depth, but there definitely ARE reasons to equip the Halberd over the GK, and claiming otherwise is either ******** or lack of experience talking.

But of course, if you plan to only sit at 600m and/or you plan on taking in a bad gunner, then the GK is the weapon for you.

A single GK isn't a threat at all (especially at 600m), and can easily be dodged (1½ seconds travel time for the GK-Shells).

Aye, especially given the prevalance of walls surrounding most bases in the game it is very tedious to be up against. If there is only a single user it generally isn't dangerous (like most other things in the game), but once a couple start firing them up, it quickly becomes dangerous to leave cover.
  16. BamaRage

The gate keeper with its range and accuracy is OP as f**K....
  17. TOXIC_MACHAMP

i keep thinking when people say toxic its like their talking to me or talking about me:eek: but probs not im still watching you though just in caseo_O
  18. asmodraxus

Why do people perpetuate the myth that the Gatekeeper has a low DPS

Its DPS is less then a spam fired Saron, yes, but Saron spam has a maximum range of about 30m, Gatekeepers is the same to about 600m.

And with very limited drop and CoF on the MBT version, well you start to see why people are still getting upset.

Now if it got the PPA treatment, abysmal CoF, abysmal damage, insane bloom then it would be fair? Actually it would be useless so that should NOT happen.

What should is increased bloom and a much larger CoF for sustained fire, drop for projectiles and the Enforcer, Saron and Halberd should all get a 50% increase in projectile velocity.
    • Up x 6
  19. thebigbortishbort

it is not this due to the very purpose its meant to fill ,being ranged damage , not a rotaryshotgun like the vulcan , you'll find that the gk has good dps due to constant damage , nc and vs weapons meanwhile will have better burst.

the gun is not god mode , though use enough of them and either way it'l be fooked , i'd say yes to a nerf but not to autistic degrees

also nerf vs.
  20. Moridin6

my poor ppa

dont do that to it, just make it a Bit more skill based, like landing repeated shoots In a timely manner , at distance, with the saron.