What's with all the annihilators? Tons of them out there

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gelohess, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Cowboyhomer

You should look at my post history there bud. I never called for a buff and I also said that air should dominate all unless it is countered. My post history will show that I have always said the way to get rid or air threats is to get tons of rockets and shoo them down. I have made suggestions that I would like to give my unused(and useless since I dont fly) air recources to be able to pay for my factions flyboys to come clear out the air for me. I am one of the ones who said "quit running out the door...if the spawn it being camped the fight is over". The only thing I argued for was for guided missiles to actually hit things and not be dodged by a simple up/down or left/right move.
    #2...Team work means you pull some infantry and go in and clear the maxes...or call in some teammates to do it...teamwork...combined arms. You choose...its not too hard and it works just like the options the infantry had.
    #3....I am lying? Isnt that why they chamged the spawns? Because planes hovered above the roof and just shot at all the doors? You mean that planes dont just hover outside the biodome doors and shoot in at and angle that you cant lock onto them or even see the aircraft?
  2. Odin

do yourselves a favor and join the infantry zerg, i quit flying (which was my favorite thing to do) because of the annoying missile spam. Don't try to argue with anyone about it (they are happy there is no tanks or planes in big battles).
    Just stop using tanks and planes, join the giant cod map and try to enjoy yourself.
    Seems the majority of people dont want planetside they want a infantry game so thats what soe is giving us.
  3. Cowboyhomer

Stop hoverpodding and fly away until the flares reset....rinse...repeat. I see pilots doing this to us all the time.

One rocket lock sound is fine...your flares break them all....you have 5 seconds to get out of there.

I think some of you pilots dont realize how hard it is to lock onto you if you keep moving at a fast rate of speed.
  4. Phyr

You could always NOT be in a vehicle, which renders Annihilators useless. Just a thought.
    • Up x 1
  5. Qaz

presumptuous, huh? i dont really fly esf much at all ... and if i do, i prefer low altitude strafing :p
    the only reason i comment here is because i regard the annihilator as a time bomb for balance.

not knowing how many lock-ons there are is a problem because of managing risk, which is impossible without any indicator for how many rockets there are. there's no way to visually confirm either. so ... there's one guy, maybe, or 20 ... or 100. you cant see them, and you dont see where the rockets are coming from. does that mean that all tanks and planes should abandon the hex? I dont think so ... and this is why an indicator would be useful.
    • Up x 1
  6. Cowboyhomer

Ill agree with some sort of indicator showing the locations of the locks. That should be done. I do think it is telling that you want it to judge the threat level. How much AA do you think should make you leave the area?

It is a rivalry thing at this point. Inf has been beaten down by vehicles for so long that they now take extra pleasure in shooting at them.
  7. Belkor

If people wanted to always play infantry, there are games out there dedicated for infantry. Just a thought.
  8. Zagz

I'm a big tank driver and while yes, it is a bit silly that everyone has a rocket launcher. I'm ok with it. We found ways around it and found several different angle of approach to avoid most of the missiles. It hasn't stopped us from being effective tank drivers.

People to forget that for each nerf or buff, the gameplay changes. The rules are different and while one method worked like a charm, today, you have to rethink everything and keep tabs on different dangers. Basically, what I am saying is that I still did my 100 certs per night with my tank. Only this time, I didn't exclusively farmed infantry, I went ahead and fought other tanks! :)
  9. Bejita231

Sorry you cant win with just air/tank spam anymore, you actually have to have infantry support now, annhilators are only good against bad tank and air drivers, tanks can position on a hill and never get hit by rockets, air can flare 50 rockets coming their way with one flare and bugs are irrelevant to game balance
  10. ent|ty

10 HA's with dumbfire rockets would be the same... Anytime people work together they can lock down an area.

But yeah, lock missiles are for nubs.

<=== Dumbfire all the way.. for everything, even taking down cocky Libs
  11. Phyr

If there weren't 40 tanks and ESF's rolling up on them they might use a different class.
    Just a thought.
  12. Raital

Screw that, I'm already seriously considering returning to Blacklight: Retribution, a far superior infantry game where in addition snipers can be snipers without having render breaking jerks to ruin their enjoyment. Before I go back to that, though, I'm going to try to have some fun with this game.

Because Planetside 2 is so toxic to modern combined arms, we're just going to have to change our mindsets to compensate.

Planetside 2's dynamic render system is currently so bad that infantry have a tendency to group up within 20m of each other and duke it out. People seem to consider this sort of thing 'fun', though I disagree. Anyway, here's my idea.

Get a Vanu alt, and farm just enough certs to cert out racer, magburner, mineguard and IR smoke. You want to be able to burst as much speed as possible, and the Magrider is best for this in my opinion thanks to its afterburner. Locate an infantry fight. Probably best to ask the soldiers themselves where they're fighting because god forbid anyone else can see where the battle is at. Get yourself 4 or 5 like-minded magrider buddies. Don't worry about weapons loadout, it's not important.

Line your magriders up so that they're nearly hip to hip (dress right, dress!) from distance or behind a rock, where ever you get some safety and time to yourself. Once you got that, maintain formation and roll out, setting yourself up on the flank of the infantry battle (where it seems to be at any rate). Use IR smoke to get some breathing room to do this, but don't take too long, you're in full display of your prey. In position? Good, drop your visor, level your lance, and cry, "CHARGE!" bringing your magriders up to full speed, trying to maintain formation the best you can given the circumstances, but at the very least maintaining laterial positioning. Once you hit full speed, and you approach the supposed infantry fight, activate your mag burners (best to do so on a called out mark (Burners, go!))

Assuming whatever god(s) you pray to are kind, you'll be charging at the enemies (ie not your own), and they will render as you enter range just long enough for you to impale them with your magriders and run them through, cutting a neat path through the enemy ranks. Don't stop, continue on through, let your infantry rush in to mop up the remaining troops as their ranks and spirits are broken by your charge (and they're too distracted trying to shoot annihilators up your bum, hope you still got some IR smoke to spare).

Yes, I just applied medieval combat tactics to a game supposedly based on modern combat tactics. If it works, it works. Granted it probably won't work a lot given it relies on terrain to be obliging, but hey, that's why you're using a magrider.

The only real weakness it has is to LAs, but you won't find them in an infantry moshpit, they'll be doing more important things, like trying to blow up sunderers or whatnot, so they're not as much of a threat to this as they could be. If you come across the enemy's sunderer on the charge, even better, might as well swing around a bit with your party of knights and destroy the poor lonely creature.

Unfair and annoying a game as it is, I at least enjoy being made to think of things like this.
  13. turtlestation

I personally whined and whined about rocket podders and libchavs racketing up insane killstreaks back when the game was released, but I really think SOE has overdone it. For them, it's either air completely destroys infantry or vice versa. There's no middle ground for SOE, ever.

Infantry by itself now can shut down all vehicles now. Just like how air by itself could destroy everything before, this is not an example of combined arms.
  14. Shotgunjoe

Planetside has at its core, ALWAYS been an infantry game, just another thought.
  15. Maruun

Tell that the ESF or Lib that is 500m away and isnt hovering. We are talking here about the complete destruction of Airplay because a handfull of annhilators with infinite ammo thanks to the ammo pack clears the sky completly of anything. The last time i saw reasoanble Airsupport was before the patch now Air is dead.

Next thing every vehicle is now FORCED to have certain upgrades active namly the IR Smoke or the Flares. Everything else is complete suicide to use and a waste of certs.

I would rather fly with the Scout Radar on my ESF to support ground troops but thanks to the range of annhilators and the general threat of them i am forced to use Flares.

I have rather several AA-Flak shooting at me then a bunch of Lolinators firing at me from 500m away. Even up high isnt a option even clearer target and the best thing it depends on the Map.
    Indar the southwest plateau has a standart high of 300m that leaves you with 700m until hiting the altitude limit. Thats not much at all.

To ge to the point its not the Problem with Annhilators that they deny hovering over a target area ist the problem you dont get to a area without being shot at.
  16. Belkor

And why would I care what class people play?
  17. Phyr

Infiltrators don't have "OP" Annihilators.
  18. Belkor

Still don't care about what class people play. Annihilators are the issue, not the class.
  19. Phyr

They are not an issue. An AA MAX is near useless against tanks and infantry. Tanks are near useless against air. Skygaurds are useless against tanks.

A Heavy with an Annihilator is effective against all 3, much like an ESF. Pilots don't like that.
  20. Belkor

An unskilled point in general direction and click launcher protected by render range. Not only that, the ESFs' IRNV and heat vision scopes were nerfed so HA's will have the spotting advantage. Annihilators are an issue for how little effort they require.