What is the best VS SMG

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by NinjaTurtle, May 6, 2013.

1. NinjaTurtle

Basically need to know what regular VS players recommend and why.

I am just starting out a new VS character and having not played anything other than NC for 6 months I'm unsure what VS weapons are preferred.

Basically I am looking at possibly becoming a regular VS player but need a small helping hand on starting out.

If it helps I play Engineer and Infiltrator most of the time
  2. Ztiller

Well, the sirius is a very good gun that i have been using. It have double the magazine size of the eridiani for free, at the cost of a slightly higher TTK and longer reload time.

However, i have been thinking about getting the Eridiani, since i don't want to use the Laser Sight, and could still get a shorter TTK with the same ammo and faster reload.

Don't know the exact specs of them both, but if you want the Laser sight, get the sirius, but if you like me fire at ranges where it doesn't matter, get the Eridiani.
  3. Ravenorth

Eridiani is better choice if you have a good aim and higher damage gives it a bit better usability at medium range. If your aiming is not that good then pick Sirius.
  4. NinjaTurtle

Well because I will be mainly using it on my Infiltrator and it would be getting used in close quarters more than not I was going to go for extended mags rather than laser sight.

I know from an NC stand point I hated the Blitz, I could never get used to it whereas the Cyclone was a beast.

I have tried both the Sirius and Eridiani in the VR and think I prefer the Sirius from those trials... but then I though the exact same thing with regards to the Blitz only to find in game it didn't work as well as I had hoped.

Still thanks for your input
  5. Mythicrose12

They're both good guns. I'd recommend the Erindi if you mostly ADS. It's ok for spray and pray tactics, but you'll likely burn through the entire clip. On the plus side, it has a short reload time. I definately recommend Sirius for the larger clip size if you hip fire more than ADS. It's also nice to have enough ammo that to potentially continue an attack if a second foe happens to find you as the first is dieing. The reload is longer than the Erindi, though.
  6. Mrasap

Sirius >> eridani by a large margin.

The stats are almost identical, except the 50 ammo clip for the sirius instead of 25 of the eridani in exchange for a minor damage boost. You need to get the ext ammo to get on par, while the Sirius can just take the adv laser sight instead. The eridani is arguably better when you ADS, but then you can better take the Artemis. The second gen is a straightforward buff over the first gen for the VS, there is a reason those who bought the eridani feel shafted.

For your engineer the Serpent / shotgun / Solstice SF (+UBGL) is better.
  7. Rigsta

The Eridani is more stable and has a predictable recoil pattern, but pretty much requires extended mags. Fast reload.

The Sirius is great for hip-firing at 5m or so with the advanced laser sight and the 50-round mag gives you some room for error - though your enemy may not. Average reload.

In other words: If you're good at tracking people who are dancing around trying not to get hit, the Eridani has a better chance of landing your shots because it doesn't bounce left & right like the Sirius does. The Sirius has greater hip-fire and multi-kill potential but has a lower effective accuracy.

I switch back & forth between them, trying to figure out which one I like best...
  8. Seyaret

A quick look at damage per second of all SMGs shows that the VS got screwed once again (based on numbers from planetside.wikia). We have the lowest dps of SMGs, with the Eridani matching the NC Blitz, but with half the ammo. Bullet drop, accuracy, whatever, it's close quarters - meaning if it's not point blank, what's the point?
  9. Astraka

Necro! But aside from that, you'll notice that on paper, the Sirius is probably the best SMG in the game. If anything the TR got screwed.
  10. Trysaeder

Eridani has more damage than the Blitz; they aren't really comparable. The Blitz is 98% the same as the Sirius, with a few stats changed.

If there's any imbalance to complain about, it's the Cyclone vs Eridani. They have the same mag size but the Eridani has more recoil, more spread, less DPS, higher TTK and lower time and damage per mag (probably the biggest letdown in a 1st gen SMG). All this in exchange for one more magazine in reserve.

Blitz has less side to side spread than the Sirius, but loses out on 40m/s velocity. For a CQC SMG, having good spread is far better than having that extra bullet velocity. Both their vertical recoils are so low that there is no practical difference, plus player models are several times taller than they are wide.

NC have two good options, VS have one good option and one outclassed one, TR have very spammy ones that resemble shotguns over time or mini LMGs, so they're very different. Overall, NC have the best rounded first gen, TR are in second place with that bullet pissing machine, and VS has a rather plain one. The second gen ones put NC and VS at equal best, while TR goes off with a different approach in a higher time per mag weapon that isn't as suitable as the other two for CQC combat unless you have no problems with the lower DPS.

Aside from stats, I like the TR iron sights the best, since using a sight impairs your hip fire view slightly. It's a small, personal thing.
  11. Dramonicous

on ur infiltrator then eridani is the best choice, but this is assuming u can aim and hit moving targets fairly well.
    eridani has a slightly extended range over sirius (but less than NS smg) so it will be easier to kill targets that r running away from u.
    it also has slightly higher dps and faster reload, tradeoff slightly less dmg per magazine.
    personally i prefer a faster reload over a higher mag, cuz u just know the enemy gonna walk up to u in that 3-5 sec reload time, while a infil can usually survive a reload under 2 sec while in direct combat.
    ur standard attachments are : 2x sight, suppressor (optional), ext magazine, soft ammo.

also i recommend u buy the infil bundle (cerberus + eridani), i was earlier of the opinion that it was a worthless piece of garbage but then i actually trialed it (as a joke) and found it to perform extremely well in real combat (its horrible in VR). its still a direct downgrade from nc rebel thou so a buff in either magsize or reload speed would be preferable.
  12. Nakar

The Sirius has no bullet drop, which is actually an advantage on SMGs due to their otherwise anemic velocity and high drop. Slap a Suppressor and SPA on the Blitz and it gets a bit droopy outside of normal SMG ranges, which limits its ability to harass people you can't get too close to. The Sirius can play laser tag with them at that range. Yes, the rattling will cause shots to miss, but it's vastly easier to aim with in a pinch and more effective than you might think out to 30m.

Overall I'd say the Sirius is better than the Blitz and Hailstorm, but the Cyclone and Armistice are better than the Eridani (Armistice by a bit, Cyclone by a lot).
  13. CptFirelord

Sirius is the better imo.
    And figures you'd take your VS booty over to Mattherson ;P Enjoy winning every single alert.
  14. NinjaTurtle

It's the only other East coast server and I don't think it's right to have 2 characters on the same server :(

They'll probably both be merged though once Hossin and the Nexus are released though.. at least that is my prediction
  15. VakarisJ

Sirius is definitely better.

It has a bigger clip. It fires faster. Faster muzzle velocity. A bit less damage and longer reload times. All other stats the same.

The bigger damage reduces Eridani's TTK to .48 seconds, compared to .50 seconds of the Sirius, which is negligible. Both weapons take 4 headshots to kill and because Sirius fires considerably faster (845 vs 750) it is a lot better if you can make the initial headshots count.

Eridani has too few rounds if you have a bad aim and fires too slowly if you have a good aim. It's only upside is nothing of note, while it's downsides in comparison are massive chasms.

Literally no contest.
  16. llPendragon

I keep it simple:
    The Eridani is better at killing one guy at a time, with a quicker TTK and reload.

The Sirius has a bigger clip, which gives it a boost at making kills at longer ranges and allows you to engage more enemies at once.

The Sirius is better all around, but the Eridani is better at being a SMG.
  17. Seyaret

I mixed up the Eridani and the Sirius, it's the Sirius that's the same as the Blitz, except for a slightly better muzzle velocity (which doesn't matter much in CQC), and an almost unnoticeable advantage in reload time. And let me stress that this is a CQC weapon. SMGs are not meant to sniper, so bullet drop, muzzle velocity, and min damage at range should not an elite SMG make. Below is a quick calculation of dps based on optimal range, which is the most important aspect of a CQC weapon (I don't play laser tag, I kill). TR has the lowest and highest dps of all faction SMGs. NC has two good options. VS matches the lowest NC SMG, and does marginally better than the lowest NC SMG.

So to say the TR got screwed, I'd say not at all. The Armistice is the best faction SMG.

As a side note, I think the devs should rename the Hailstorm "Failstorm".

TR

Armistice: 896 RPM, 125 before 6m = 1866.67 dps @ 6m
    Hailstorm: 800 RPM, 125 before 6m = 1666.67 dps @ 6m

NC
    Cyclone: 652 RPM, 167 before 6m = 1814.73 dps @ 6m
    Blitz: 845 RPM, 125 before 6m = 1760.42 dps @ 6m

VS
    Eridani: 750 RPM, 143 before 6m = 1787.5 dps @ 6m
    Sirius: 845 RPM, 125 before 6m = 1760.42 dps @ 6m
  18. Astraka

Bullet velocity is very important in CQC when you're dealing with good players. With people moving around and strafing, losing bullet velocity makes it even harder to hit them which will get you killed. The armistice may have a better DPS on paper but it's crippling inaccuracy and small magazine size for its ROF makes it an inferior weapon. The Blitz & Sirius have still have a high DPS, but are much more manageable and have more leeway for missed shots. I have plenty of experience with the Armistice, Hailstorm, and Blitz and the TR SMGs cannot hold a candle to the Blitz in any capacity.

Unless you are going up against one person at a time consistently and never miss, the Cyclone, Blitz & Sirius walk all over the Armistice & Hailstorm.
  19. Seyaret

Really? It looks like the Armistice ties with several others for the best velocity, and as for accuracy, it has the same stats as all the others, except the Cyclone, which has a slightly bigger bloom. And when it comes to ammo, the Armistice isn't the best, but not the worst by a long shot (I'd love to have 65 more bullets in my belt than the guy with the Cylcone).

TR
    Armistice:
    Muzzle Velocity:
    360m/s
    Ammunition
    Magazine Size:
    Ammunition Pool:
    Accuracy

Hip
    Aim
    Crouch
    Still:
    Move:
    Stand
    Still:
    Move:
    Bloom per Shot:
    Hailstorm:
    Muzzle Velocity:
    335m/s
    Ammunition
    Magazine Size:
    Ammunition Pool:
    Accuracy

Hip
    Aim
    Crouch
    Still:
    Move:
    Stand
    Still:
    Move:
    Bloom per Shot:

NC
    Cyclone:
    Muzzle Velocity:
    360m/s
    Ammunition
    Magazine Size:
    Ammunition Pool:
    Accuracy

Hip
    Aim
    Crouch
    Still:
    Move:
    Stand
    Still:
    Move:
    Bloom per Shot:
    Blitz:
    Muzzle Velocity:
    360m/s
    Ammunition
    Magazine Size:
    Ammunition Pool:
    Accuracy

Hip
    Aim
    Crouch
    Still:
    Move:
    Stand
    Still:
    Move:
    Bloom per Shot:

VS
    Eridani:
    Muzzle Velocity:
    360m/s
    Ammunition
    Magazine Size:
    Ammunition Pool:
    Accuracy

Hip
    Aim
    Crouch
    Still:
    Move:
    Stand
    Still:
    Move:
    Bloom per Shot:
    Sirius:
    Muzzle Velocity:
    400m/s
    Ammunition
    Magazine Size:
    Ammunition Pool:
    Accuracy

Hip
    Aim
    Crouch
    Still:
    Move:
    Stand
    Still:
    Move:
    Bloom per Shot:
  20. Seyaret

Sorry about the table fail. It looked better in the preview. Also, the Eridani has the best velocity. Armistice ties for second best.