What is it that makes certain players, a minority of players, move and shoot amazingly fast?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Inzababa, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Inzababa

If you've played a bit, you gota know what I mean;

they move left right, crouch standing ten times faster than anyone else, and they shoot (what seems like) ten time faster too.

I was told you lose accuracy if you move when you shoot, but most of these guys hit headshots all the time and kill 5 people at A point no problem.

When I shoot them, only a small portion of my shots actually hit.

I'd really like to know what they are doing and how to counter it...
    • Up x 6
  2. HippoCryties

Hey,
    It’s mostly just practice and recoil control. I guess I’d consider myself one of these players as people randomly proclaim I’m warping when all I’m really doing is running in zig zags(this is becuase of clientside) . Anyways, may I ask what weapon you use currently? Recoil can often randomly move your bullet spread around which is why only a minority of you shots hit them, made worse by their erratic movements. Guns like Gauss Saw should be shot in bursts of 2-3 as should the flare and Ursa and the TMG 50 and Bull.
  3. HippoCryties

Also go check out this YT channel

He is one of these players that seem to be moving fast but in reality are just amazing players. Clearing 5 players of a point isn’t too hard tbh as long as you can chain HS
  4. Inzababa

ah, since no one replied to the thread, I made a ticket with support, not to report cheating, but to ask for understanding.

Anyway, going to make my own video, if you're interested let me know I'll pm you when it's done (or post it here whatever), cause even though thanks for sharing that other video, I want one that shows him not in first person. thanks! :)

PS. it's not warping at all, cause warping is generally in one direction, this is there and back constantly.

About my shots hitting them, everyone knows that sometimes some players are harder to hit than others. Some say it's cheat, some say it's FPS and good rig, others say it's latency and so on.

Personally I don't know, but like most experienced players, I've killed a lot of people, enough to have a "statistical sample", and I am sure 100% that some players are easier to hit "physically" than others.

In this, I can tell, by how they move, that they are going to be harder, and sure enough, even when hitting from behind and./or focusing and being real careful, it takes a lot more (A LOT) bullets to take them down, if I do take them down.

If it was an accuracy problem related to recoil of the gun I'm using, it would be for every player, this is only a few. So I don't think that's relevant.
    • Up x 1
  5. LaughingDead

There is a bug with a special way of strafing in which if you turn your character in certain directions while your body is moving in another you cause the server to have trouble catching up to you and makes it look like unpredictable model animations.

The rest is really just aim.

Personally I hate that ******* bug.
    But if you want to counter them, it's really gauge your HP bar and repeak when they can't burst you down if you're next to cover.
    Ideally you want to be the opener knowing exactly where they are, never staying for more than a split second to confirm and shoot them in the head a few times, right before they open fire a quick duck to throw off headshot aim and then repositioning back into cover because by the time you've shot 3-6 times or depending on the group simply peaking, they've noticed you and you're going to take a lot more damage than you might think.

There's also forcing them to take free damage from mines, turrets, using allies, body rushing a single guy with 2 people and so on that can force the fight in your favor. However nothing well work unless you learn how to aim and aim well. Shotguns will never cut it unless you have a sidearm or a primary (in case of engineers) with range to it. If they get the opener, seeing you first and you are not confident in your aim do not stick around, find cover.

There's also plenty of ways to out think these types in my opinion. Some are so used to simply model warping and ADS ADAD spam that they win all their 1v1s, not realizing the basics and knowing how much damage a gun can deal and how much alpha you can drop on them if you have the right weapons.

Do not discredit the knife as a not good weapon either. a commy headshot + knife is a kill on almost every class that isn't a resist heavy.

Knowledge is an important thing when fighting these types. Spotters, darts, spitties are the best way of gleaning information about their location, keeping in mind of where they are so you can setup a spur of the moment ambush or simply letting allies nearby know so you can toss nades for free damage is definitely a must.
    • Up x 1
  6. Xebov

What you see could be the result of the low tick rates in PS2. Players send there position, direction and movement every tick. Your client then interpolates it to follow the movement. If the movement suddenly changes between these ticks the client will correct the position to the new correct one. Im not sure how it is now, but years ago you had players using adad macros or pressing buttons in the right speed to cause adad warping where your character warped left-right for others while the player itself had nearly no movement and could easily fire away. Currently i notice that there are a couple of players strafing alot including ducking/standing etc. The penalty for doing it simply seems to be way to low.
    • Up x 1
  7. Zak Preston

This adad and strafing spam makes the game too arcade-ish, but with lags and bad latency this tactics becomes really ugly. Bodies should have inertia and players shouldn't be able to hop sideways like bunnies.
    • Up x 5
  8. PhoenixFanatic

No, he IS moving faster and can chain up headshots, because he constantly has over 130 FPS, probably paired with 140 Hertz screen and a fast internet connection.

Your PC sends the server your position in the game every few milliseconds and the servers registers that. If you are lagging hardcore, it can set you back a few steps, because it can't figure out the steps you made in between or needs time to process the sent data which can be useless when the game time has passed the point of the input. In most cases, this "setting back" is MINIMAL, but will add up to a slower movement over time which you won't really notice unless you look at the frames individually.

Hardware makes a big difference.

> Use cable internet, not Wi-Fi (Cat-6 cables or glas fiber if available - check if your PC has the needed ports)
    > Use more stable weapons (minimal recoil), learn burst firing or how to balance the recoil
    > try to shoot from elevated positions to get more headshots automatically
    > Buy hardware that can run the game on at least 60 FPS constantly
    > ... or even better: Good GPU + Good CPU + Monitor with 2560x1440 or 4k on 144 Hz (Vivid Pixel also allows you better vision). This will create more smooth animations and your shots will actually be registered as hits by the server, because you are firing at the right spots at the right time.

> Aim for the heads with a low recoil weapon, aim for the upper main body (chest) with a high recoil weapon, because the next two or three shots will land on the head.
    > Learn what choke points are and use them
    > Use vehicles if your connection and PC are ****. You can balance some stuff with the higher indirect damage, you don't die immediately and you can repair or redeploy if necessary.
    > Use high velocity- weapons to compensate for some of the delay time. If your bullets reach the target faster, you will have a higher probability that the server registers your shots as coherent with the enemy player's position.

Good luck!
    • Up x 2
  9. DarkStarAnubis

I am hesitant to speak about cheating/exploiting but from time to time I can see something really hard to understand: during a 1v1 sudden encounter we see each other (20m distance) and open fire at the same time. Both going for bodyshots.

I die. The death screen shows I was 100% killed by the guy and my enemy had 100% health and shield.

Why odd? Not a single hit registered and I saw him bobbing up/down during the exchange.

As bad as I can be in aiming, there is no way I haven't hit a single time (no he wasn't using an adrenaline shield)
    • Up x 1
  10. adamts01

Fancy keyboard gymnastics glitching animations counts for a lot of it, but you do notice a significant difference as the night progresses on Connery, which is why I stand by latency being a big part of the equation. I'm part of the camp that thinks ADAD spam should be nerfed in some way, yielding success to positioning and aim. But since Wrel abuses the **** out of this tactic I'm sure it won't change. The most frustrating part of Planetside is that getting gud basically means learning how to exploit crappy mechanics and bad servers.
    • Up x 2
  11. PhoenixFanatic

What does ADAD stand for?
  12. Crowne

It's the movement keys. Moving side to side.

As to the OP, I've seen whole outfits have really weirdly fast rate of fire. It's not their aim, I hear the tings of headshots just fine, their bullets just spit out faster than I've ever seen. Their time to kill is just odd. Having played since first day of beta, I do have at least a little bit of experience as reference.

I have no doubt at all there are plenty of shenanigans out there, and you can sometimes see on reddit people talking about it. Reports of entire outfits sharing the same third-party aids, some people saying it's "not cheating if everyone is doing it..."

So called clientside can surely play a part, but when it becomes completely predictable that the same people will always show the same type of behavior... it just seems to me clientside effects would be at least a little bit random at times.

In game, I switched to high point ammo which does make your bullets reach target faster. I've also noticed people using the battle-hardened implant which makes it more likely they'll stay on target and land more bullets than me without said implant, all things being equal.

Ultimately, there are of course awesome players out there that inspire me to try harder, focus more, play smarter.
    There's also, of course, others that use "training wheels" to give themselves an advantage. I know they're there. They know they're there. Everyone knows they're there.
    I just move to another hex if they get too annoying.
    • Up x 2
  13. adamts01

That could be two things.
    1) higher frames per second on the shooter's PC means higher rate of fire on his weapon. That's sadly tied together in this game, and even at 60 frames per second you're losing out on damage. If you run a potato then you might be missing out on 15-20% damage, and this affects high rate of fire guns more than low rate of fire guns (yay NC! ).
    2) Server latency + ping. To save bandwidth, or calculations or whatever, the server accepts all the hits from the shooter's computer and then only passes a fraction of them to the target's computer but in a compressed time. This seems to be worse the higher the ping of the shooter is, and also worse as the server bogs down. This give you little or no time to react, and makes you think that you're dying faster than you can possibly kill someone. This is just one of many compromises that had to be made to get so many players on the field at once.
    • Up x 1
  14. Inzababa

Yeah I seem to get a lot more kills and die a lot less late and night when there is a low continent pop.

You would have thought that whether it was at prime time or at 5am everyone is in the same boat though?
  15. adamts01

Yeah. I don't think anyone necessarily has an advantage over anyone else, they just know how to exploit the mechanics to their advantage. Doing things such as repeatedly peeking and hiding till there happens to be a target, not peeking and waiting for a target. Always being the one to rush corners, and not camping and waiting foe someone else to round the corner. Waiting till you can get reliable headshots so the target is dead before it even registers him as being hit. Jumping ESF with Stealth/Rotary for the same reason. Nothing like that is cheating, it's just about understanding how terrible latency affects the game. I'm still convinced that people intentionally glitch animations when sidestepping though. Or the game really just can't handle their ping. Either way, I want to see finger gymnastics nerfed, at least somewhat.
  16. HippoCryties

Umm no he ISN’T moving faster than anyone. Sure frames make a difference but hardware doesn’t allow you to move faster , although having below 30 can make people seem to move quicker than you tbh.
  17. adamts01

Speaking of. I just read a summary on Reddit about what they're working on, and smoothing motions of laggy players was on it. I knew I wasn't crazy. I knew those laggy bastards were twitchier than normal. Well, I am crazy, but not about that.
  18. Rydenan

I'd recommend shadowplaying your engagements and watching them back in slo-mo.
    Hit detection is 100% clientside in this game, meaning that if you shoot a bullet into them on your PC, you hit them. The opponent has no control over this. All they can do is move around to try to throw off your aim.
    Often times (and I find this with myself as well), what looks and feels like a lot of hits in the heat of the moment, actually turns out to be a lot of misses and only a few hits (or few enough for it to feasibly not be a kill) when playing it back.
  19. Inzababa

To be specific, about the hit detection, I was on about 2 things :

I shoot clearly in the center of the body of the enemy standing 2 meters away from me, but I don't get the red cross hair indicating that I hit him (and he takes,no damage). When that happens, stoping firing and shooting again usually works, but that's enough time to get shot ...

With regards to the ADAD spam thing, I think it's me literarly missing him totally because I don't ******* now where he is @@
  20. Rydenan

What you're likely witnessing is due to Cone of Fire. Your crosshair may be on-target, but the bullets don't go where the crosshair is pointing, they go somewhere in a variably-sized cone centered on the crosshair.
    One of the reasons I recommended shadowplay is because usually (especially if you slow it down), you can see the tracers and watch whether the actual bullets you shot hit the enemy. If you just came out of a sprint, or were jumping, or hipfiring, your CoF may have been a lot larger than you thought it was.

In regards to ADAD, as far as it matters to you, he is where you see him on your screen. With clientside hit detection, the avatar you see is the one that you can hit, since all hits are calculated locally.
    Now, does that mean it isn't much harder to accurately aim at someone who is ADADing? No, of course not. That's why they do it! ;)
    • Up x 1