What if Battle Rifles were automatic?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DarkStarII, Jul 28, 2016.

1. DarkStarII

If nothing else was changed about them would they still be absolute garbage or become something moderately effective?
  2. Ximaster

Just imagine a sniper rifle,doing less damage but being automatic...what do u think????
    • Up x 1
  3. Pikachu

Raise damage to 334 instead.
    • Up x 2
  4. Crayv

Personally I think all the semi-auto should fire as long as you holding down the mouse button. Though the difference between it and a true automatic is the semi-auto has the first shot recoil multiplier applied to every shot and you see your character pull the trigger for each shot made.
    • Up x 5
  5. Gundem

TBH, that'd be hella OP.

Perhaps it's just that my aim is better then most, but using Slugs on semi-shotguns, I've found then when the CoF cooperates I can pretty much demolish people. Literally the only limiting factor is it's atrocious moving ADS CoF of .9, which the Battle Rifles don't suffer from.

In CQC, if I could have a high velocity, relatively accurate, high RoF 334 damage Slug on my HA? RIP everyone everywhere, GG EZ(Okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but overall accurate players would kinda wreck people).
  6. Liewec123

i used the auto clicking function built into my mouse for awhile, (stopped because it felt a little bit abusive with some weapons, and i also expect it to be something that Battleeye with detect and ban for)

the battle rifles were "meh" ok, the RoF is low enough that you can quite easily fire them at max rof just by manually clicking,
    i don't see a reason to not allow for automatic fire.
    i totally agree with Crayv that i don't see a reason why semi autos should'nt be allowed to keep firing aslong as the button is held down.
    • Up x 1
  7. ColonelChingles

It makes sense... "battle rifles" are after all just heavier, harder-hitting assault rifles.

For example, these are battle rifles:

[IMG]

If they were military grade, then they would likely have access to a fully automatic or burst-firing mode.
    • Up x 1
  8. Pikachu

Are you not going to suggest they should do same damage as SASR? :rolleyes:
    • Up x 1
  9. JKomm

I think the current battle rifles need some tweaks, but what we really need are new battle rifles all together. I've been thinking about this lately, what if we had automatic Battle Rifles under the 200 damage model, say bump the RPM to 400, already did the calculations, it's very similar in DPS to the current models(Current DPS of a Battle Rifle is 1,387.5, under this new model it would be 1,333.4). These automatic versions could be less accurate and have the recoil model of current versions, and the old versions could be given better recoil for longer range usage.

This would certainly make things more balanced and give us new options. Regardless, Battle Rifles need a tweak overall, they are designed to be versatile yet they are really only effective at long range, close to medium and you are absolutely outclassed by most other weapons in the game.

The 200 damage, 400 RPM battle rifles would be quite similar to the Reaper DMR in fact, except not as good in close quarters, this would also give the other factions a nice high damage weapon to compete with, but under a different category... makes you think though... what would be a battle rifle to the TR, is an assault rifle to the NC... goes to show the diversity of the factions.
  10. ColonelChingles

It depends on what calibre of cartridge the SAS-R fires. If the SAS-R is essentially a "scout rifle" like so:

[IMG]

And it is chambered in the same cartridge as a battle rifle, then why wouldn't they do roughly the same damage (all other things like barrel lengths being equal, and ignoring the minor differences in velocity from action type)?

The same bullet fired from two different guns of equal barrel length should do roughly the same damage.
  11. JKomm

While easy to achieve maximum rate of fire by furiously clicking the mouse, that does leave less usage of your brain for actual aiming as you are attempting to compensate recoil, keep the rate of fire perfect, and maintain a bead on your target. I think this is where Battle Rifles suffer the most, they pretty much need automatic fire to be a viable option in the game. As well, while clicking constantly chances of your aim suffering increases dramatically... I'm by no means a perfect shot, but semi-automatic weapons just disagree with me on many levels

If we want Battle Rifles to be viable as well as versatile, here is what we do:
    • Add Automatic Fire Mode
    • Increase RPM to 350(Up from 333, giving it a DPS of 1,458.4 instead of 1,387.5)
    What we end up with is a weapon that can be used on a competitive level that has a definitive purpose within the game, currently these weapons are used for long range harassment at best... most noticeable effectiveness I've seen from a Battle Rifle is when used in conjunction with the Heavy Assault shield, which even then it under-performs every possible alternative.

I may end up making a suggestion post later detailing the addition of new empire specific battle rifles, not sure how much interest it would receive though.
  12. PYROxSYCO

Can i have a BAR?
    [IMG]
  13. Taemien

Give them 3 round burst.
  14. Eternaloptimist

Um..............I know comparisons with real life break down quite quickly but the thing about SLRs (the current BR model) is a long barrel and a big, high calibre cartridge (compared to modern assault rifles in real), giving them accuracy and stopping power at longer range.

Hell, the old british army SLR could put a bullet through a brick wall and kill or wound someone on the other side of it (I've done this.....but the killing/wounding part only on target dummies).

Translated into gameplay I do think the BR should have the ability to take down an HA overshield with one shot, which kind of represents the stopping power. I think auto fire suggestion just makes the BR a poweful but innacurate asault rifle.
  15. Pikachu

If the burst has higher ROF than single shot.
  16. Halkesh

What about buffing their long range advantage ? Semi-auto weapon are made for distance, not to be versatile.
    • Increase min damage to 250
    • Improve CoF to 0 / 0.15 / 0 / 0.25 / 0.1 (from 0.1 / 0.15 / 0.1 / 0.25 / 0.1)
    Also, the "no sway on non-bolt action x6 scope" will indirectly buff BR.
    • Up x 1
  17. OldMaster80

Battle Rifles are ok. As long as you use them from long distance: x3.4 scope, foregrip and compensator.

The problem is attachments suggest an alternative use should be possible: we have x2 and NV scopes, underbarrel attachments (no way you can use these from long distance due their famous unreliability), laser sight.
    In reality using a Battle Rifle for close quarter combat is almost impossible. They get completely outgunned by all the automatic weapons.
  18. Halkesh

What you guy think about change battle rifle damage type in order to bypass nanowave armor ?
    • Up x 1
  19. Ryme_Intrinseca

The bottom one looks very AR-like. Rather shorter barrel than classic BRs.

But yes, I agree that BR generally implies selective fire.
  20. Gundem

Looks like an M4 or an M16 for comparison, not one of the actual BR's.