What goes through your head when you read this?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AxiomInsanity87, Jan 13, 2016.

1. AxiomInsanity87

"Being an effective SMG Infil requires you to score head shots (mainly from the hip).

SMG Infil is a lot more "skill" based than say the Heavy with its "press one button to win" shield and "spray and prey" LMG.

I have Aurax on the SAS:R and nearly on the shadow and stalker and i can say with no doubt that an SMG (i own the tempest) infil requires more mechanical skill than any mid range weapon!"

• [IMG]
  2. Azawarau

I do much better with Infil than heavy but it requires you to be tricky and watch your bar

Most times ill use invisi to the edge of its duration to get that perfect shot on an unsuspecting victim....
  3. Pelainis117

Heavy assault never was and never gonna be skill class. Mostly noobs (newbie players) from 1 br to 30 use them. But now once heavy assault lmg's got buffed almost 99% of people spam this class. Hopefully heavy assault class will be nerfed soon.
  4. FateJH

It doesn't incite much internal commentary.
    • Up x 5
  5. AxiomInsanity87

Comparing 1 easy mode way of playing to another hahaha

HA would need perma scans to be on that level of easy.

Bait.
  6. FieldMarshall

In my opinion, SMG Infil is less forgiving if you mess something up and requires more situational awareness and knowledge of game mechanics.
    HA gets some leeway because of the shield. An Infil usually just dies when screwing up.

Not sure i agree that hipfire headshots is what makes or breaks a good SMG infil though. At least not compared to Heavy.
    The short SMG TTK combined with relying on ambushing enemies usually drops enemies before they react anyway, regardless of headshots.
    At least thats what i have experienced after auraxing the Armistice, Cyclone and PDW x2

TLDR: Imo HA relies more on aim, SMG Infil relies more on everything else (knowing when to attack, awareness, knowledge of game mechanics, reading the map/radar etc etc.)
    • Up x 2
  7. TheFlamingLemon

It's getting a nerf but, unfortunately, not a role change.
  8. OldMaster80

Imho smg+infiltrator is the zero-skill combo of this game. Sure it's not so great out in the open field but in kost of fights it's a beast. Add recon ***** and emp grenades...
    • Up x 4
  9. AxiomInsanity87

It's not really an opinion.

Anything that gets what is essentially esp lowers the bar drastically lol.

The invisibility although lowering the bar isn't too bad i don't think.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

I can see where this thread may go.

It's worth noting that i do not think the Infi is op, but i'm not going to beat about the bush and pretend it takes more or less skill than the other "no skill" class.
  11. Dualice

I wouldn't agree with the headshot thing, unless you're the type of infil that goes toe-to-toe with your enemy.

Smaller margin for error than HA certainly, nearly half the effective health pool if you count the overhsield. EMPs are bloody powerful though, combined with recon and ambush.

In short, what FieldMarshall said.
    • Up x 1
  12. AxiomInsanity87

You're both secret smg infi shills!

;)
  13. SpartanPsycho

Heavy is at 20-25% class usage. That is VERY close considering that its supposed to be the meatshield for your army.
    LMG's were not buffed, they were changed in return for the removal of .75 ADS speed, I wont deny that vanu LMGs are in a better place now, but they were UP anyway.
    I suggest you start playing light assault and infil to flank and surprise heavies and see how OP they are.
  14. nehylen

Whatever wins the engagement, and aiming at the head wins it more often than not for me. And that's right with about any gun but buckshot shotguns. I'm not specifically talking about infiltrator, but as a smg user.
    As such i'm rarely using ext.mags on gen1/NS smgs, because i value accuracy in either ads (mostly infiltrator) or hipfire (mostly LA).

I'm actually very surprised to see that my HSR rating on smgs on stats sites is so high compared to my other guns, in spite of it being on par with most of my other guns. It's like people don't go for headshots at all on those.
  15. SpartanPsycho

You seem rather angry.

Your statement can be applied to all of the classes. Also, I thought that it was the Heavy that was OP in lots of fights :)
    • Up x 1
  16. SpartanPsycho

What role change would you like to see lol.

Its pretty late to change that the game's COD base design favors heavies, as LAs don't have holes in the walls to peek through, despite LA being the cheap class....
  17. Taemien

Not anymore than any other weapon. Though personally I'd say the 2nd gen ES high capacity SMGs you probably want to go center mast as the CoF will cause many rounds to miss if you go for the head.
    Cyclone MAYBE need to stick to headshots.. but as its TTK is so quick, you can get away with body shots.
    Apples and Oranges. To be honest.

Too often players put emphasis on 'the kill'. Some classes are better at getting 'the kill' than others. If this was a no-respawn tactical match based shooter (to me just a fancier arena shooter), then we'd have a point about classes getting kills over others.

'The Kill' doesn't matter in the grand scope of things. Groups of High KDR players can easily lose bases to Low KDR players. Happens all the time in fact. The biggest example is the World Record event. VS went for kills. NC went for the objective without any care for kills.

NC won the event. With an average KDR below .9, VS pulled an average KDR of 1.1 almost 1.2 (outstanding stat for the VS considering its the average of over 300 players per faction). And for reference the TR pulls about a 1.0'ish on average.

This isn't to say "the kill' isn't useful in objective based play. But it requires precision, timing, and location. Infils are usually better at this. But not always. Sometimes you need to be sneaky, sometimes brute force is needed.

But what happens for most people is they login, look at the map and look for the fight that best suits them. Some like the biggest fights their GPU/CPU can handle. Others like platoon on platoon* based fights. Others like squad on squad*.

*Talking size of fights, not actual squads/platoons.

Then they pull their favorite class and jump in, trying to get as many kills as possible. Some may try for the objective while doing this, others may want to farm. Doesn't really matter. What does matter is the poor planning and consideration, or lack thereof before committing to the fight. This is caused either by ignorance, or just want to simply jump in and play.

What happens is these players see a class like the Heavy dominating the exact avenue they chose. Which is no surprise.. its made for brute force high volumes of fire. Of course its going to dominate in situations where players are just going around killing one another.

While their playstyle isn't wrong. They don't understand that the game was made for a bit more than just random killings. That 'The Kill' is a very small part of what PS2 actually is. Vehicles, objectives, and overall strategy make up what the game was designed around. Classes were designed to synergize around all aspects of the game. Not operate in vacuums.

Getting 1160 kills with a weapon makes you good with it no doubt. But it is a poor indicator of how the weapon is used, or why. We don't know how the 1160 kills were obtained, the style of play of the user, nor the objective of the user. Like I said before, if all you're doing is killing... you're missing out on 2/3rds of the game. If not more. If the Auraxium's are obtained while doing objective based play.. that's a different story. But very few Aurax medals are obtained in that matter.
    • Up x 2
  18. AxiomInsanity87

I don't think the ps4 playerbase will ever care for 2/3 of the game.

The have adapted immensely, so farming kills is peak skill....sadly.
    • Up x 1
  19. Savadrin

As I have stated in other threads, I'm a terrible infantrymans.

That said, I started with stalking. Let me slow down the game to my speed and learn it tactically. Then I started driving, which naturally lead me to cert engineer. So I engineer a little as well when support is needed.

But if it comes time to get on foot with a squad, I pull my SMG INF. I'm bad, I'm 15 years late to playing shooters (this is my first, and my character shows you how long I've been playing) BUT the SMG INF is what consistently allows me to have a +1 KDR in CQC.

It's part surprise, but it's also part movement I've learned through stalking. If you think having the cloak makes life EZ mode, I challenge you to run the class and roll into the teeth of a push in a place like a biolab pad or one of the Indar towers that can only be reached by elevator. You can't flank without getting through a choke, and it's not quite as easy - but it's so much easier to die it's laughable.

Yes, you can manufacture pre-combat advantage with the cloak. And you ******* better, because you need every ounce of it to survive an encounter against a heavy or an aware opponent.
  20. AxiomInsanity87

"As I have stated in other threads, I'm a terrible infantrymans" Ok mate

"But if it comes time to get on foot with a squad, I pull my SMG INF. I'm bad, I'm 15 years late to playing shooters (this is my first, and my character shows you how long I've been playing) BUT the SMG INF is what consistently allows me to have a +1 KDR in CQC" Not surprising

Already done plenty of crazy stuff with the smg infi and stalker cloak actually takes a decent amount of skill i reckon. The stalker cloak shouldn;t even be mentioned here lol.
    • Up x 1