Weapons and Equipment you should probably avoid.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nephera, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Nephera

Hey there, I made a big list of things that in my opinion are a poor use of cert/station cash. With reasons why each is a poor choice. If you feel that something should be on this list please feel free to weigh in. If you feel that this list is dumb and I am dumb please feel free to weigh in. (Please note the lack of VS and TR equipment is due to my not having tested them as i play NC. Not because i think they dont have useless equipment.)

New Conglomorate Vanguard Enforcer C85 modified: Its an anti infantry shotgun for your tank

Reason – Extremely situational. while capable of instant kills at close range the kobold is a much more reliable anti infantry platform with a much better range. Additionally the C85 modified becomes extremely inaccurate after several successive shots despite needing to be reloaded after each, successive shots are practically required to kill semi distant targets. Can stop suicide bombers cold in their tracks at least

New Conglomorate Reaver Air Hammer: Its an anti ground shotgun for your reaver

Reason – Forces you disastrously close to the ground for a damage payload that is less than fantastic, rocket pods and both rotary guns are the better choice.

New Conglomorate Infantry Jackhammer: A Heavy assault exclusive shotgun with three round burst.

Reason – Has no ironsights or optics. Cannot equip slugs. Has little to no perceivable advantage over the regular shotguns.

Common Pool Lightning Skyguard Turret: an anti air turret for your lightning tank

Reason – Is merely a deterrent despite being locking your lightning into a role where it cannot defend itself effectively against infantry or armor. Can easily be singled out and destroyed by aircraft. Dual bursters are currently superior.

Common Pool (multiple vehicles) Walker Anti Air Turrets: Anti Air turrets for tanks/galaxies/liberators.

Reason - Does not do enough damage to effectively deter aircraft. Crosshairs are difficult to see. Is actually a downgrade to some turrets.

All Three Empires Battle Rifles: A medium/long range single fire accurate rifle for a designated marksman role

Reason – bullet velocity is not great making moving targets a chore to hit enough times to kill, unable to equip high velocity ammunition, extremely bad accuracy when hit with return fire and the fact that slug shotguns kill in fewer shots and can be equipped by all classes make this a poor choice for its ascribed role.

Anti Vehicle Grenades: Grenades that damage vehicles, about as effective as a rocket on a perfect hit.

Reason – Does not stick to vehicles. Has a low blast radius and thus is extremely difficult to put where you want. Overly specialized grenade for something with such a big chance to miss.

Sticky Grenades: Grenades that stick to the first surface they collide with until they explode

Reason – currently these do not stick unless you throw them perfectly(bug), will probably be worth using (and taken off this list )when fixed.

Vehicle Weapon Thermal Vision- Shorter range than infrared but hi lights targets in brighter contrast than infrared and can see through smoke

reason- Prohibitively expensive cert costs for what is essentially a downgrade. Infantry smoke is rare, vehicle smoke is more rare. Smoke can be Q'ed through

Decoy Grenades- makes gunfire noise and paints a target on radar

Reason – In large fights people are going to be using their radar and their ears less than their eyes for target confirmation. Works better in smaller scenarios but best saved for when enemies know there is an infilitrator in the area.
    • Up x 1
  2. Nephera

(reserved)
  3. Uben Qui

Don't forget to add the Walker 30 for any vehicle.
    • Up x 2
  4. Flarestar

Have to disagree on this one. The Air Hammer is fantastic for taking out Libs and even other ESFs, you just can't plink at them from across the map. It's also pretty effective in fast, low fly-bys on ground targets.

Otherwise, spot on. I'd add the Flash Grenade to this list, as the blind effect is really only effective if they're sitting on top of the grenade when it goes off, and at that point you'd be better off having thrown a normal grenade. It's sort of a pity, because I really wanted it to be good.
  5. Nephera

I'll check flashes, I have them but i never really sat down and tested how effective they are.
  6. Linedan

No arguments here. The only thing I might add to the list is anti-vehicle MAX weaponry. I tried the stock AV MAX for NC once and never again. HAs with rockets seem far more effective, but I don't know how the TR and VS versions compare.
  7. TheEvilBlight

The VS comet is meh too, but AV and AA in general is terrible outside of specific circumstances.

It should be as good at its job as the various AI weapons are at their jobs. Is that too much to ask for any AV and AA duties?
  8. Hellspawn

VS : All of the rocket launchers suck. There isn't much point in upgrading beyond the S1 base launcher. The lock-on ability of the Hades and Nemesis has been nerfed. The rockets do not seem to connect and it's rare that I can get a kill even when the aircraft is damaged. The dumb-fire mode of the Hades and Nemesis has major drop-off and the speed of the rockets has been reduced. It's a bit like firing a mortar sideways.

My Nemesis used to be a fairly deadly weapon. I could actually knock down aircraft after a few shots. It is now crap.

I recently made the poor mistake of purchasing the Common Pool Annihilator rocket launcher. It is crap. A majority of the missiles I fire do not connect with their targets and those that visually impact do not notify me with the "plink" or red flash. Perhaps this is a bug or it's that the launcher was made to suck because of the flawed concept of "side-grades".

Don't waste SC on the launchers.
    • Up x 3
  9. Nephera

On checking flashes I've noticed they behave really,really weirdly

if you are in their blast radius you will be blinded regardless of whether or not you are looking directly at them.

If you are outside that then you are safe even if you are looking directly at them

Its like a grenade that splashes blind juice all over people
  10. Ghoest

Actually IR on vehicles is kind of awesome when killing infantry.

Also the HAWK is a terrible weapon.
  11. PurpleOtter

The SOE Dev team copied the TR Dual Pounder MAX directly over from Planetsdie1.....it STILL sucks in the anti vehicle role.
    • Up x 2
  12. Nephera

IR is fine, thermal is the one I mentioned was bad. They're actually two different things.
  13. Strill

EMP grenades? They kill shields and disable your HUD...instead of just killing you outright like a normal grenade would do.
  14. medbot544

For TR: A30 walker. Vehicle lights. Infantry decals if you have comp armor. Jokeguard. Jokehammer. Comp armor for Infiltrator. Most shotguns. Infinite camo packs (cheaper to just buy 50s and put em on different load outs in the long run). Underbarrel attachments of any sort. All battle rifles. Majority of certs for vehicles/classes really don't do a heck of a lot.
  15. Gavyne

Disagree with flash grenades, they work well but are situational. These days a lot of people have flak armor, and they won't die to one single grenade anymore. Plus if you are to charge into a defended corner, even if their hp is at 50%, they could still shoot at you and you'd probably die. A well thrown flash grenade would render them useless, allowing you to mow them down.

I try not to talk too much about this because I don't like these grenades used on me. You can't move your mouse cursor while under effect, you are just a dummy character vulnerable to get shot at. It's a bad feeling when it's done to me, so I'd hate to see more people wise up to using it ;)
  16. TheEvilBlight

For whatever reason, my guided AV seems to prefer to hit rocks or just doesn't hit tanks. Perhaps the rocket isn't fast enough, or the other guy has smoke or some kind of flare analogue that isn't obvious (or it hits obstructions, but its hard to say at long range).

I'm wondering what's next for AV. Fix the starter AV so that it is more straight, since the dumbfire on guided weapons is now arced? Almost bought the Annihilator, but I reasoned I only had five missiles to waste, and I should waste them on all vehicles or all aircraft, and hope someone else brings what I don't have.
    • Up x 2
  17. Gavyne

I would avoid anti air rocket launcher until they fix it. Right now it shoots off, and would appear to make contact but does not explode, or at least I don't get the hitbox showing me they hit. Out of 4-5 shots, I would get maybe 1 hit, but all the plane would do is fly off, repair up, get nice exp for repairing, then come back and kill me.

Something's just not right with the way anti air rocket launchers work. They miss way too much and it's not due to flare, I can see when a plane does flare, many of them flare before I even shot the rocket. It's just somehow the rockets fly pass by the aircraft or they seem to explode or vanish without doing actual damage.

The only anti air worth while right now are the AA MAX burster. I would wait until SOE finally fix anti air to get any anti air rockets.
    • Up x 3
  18. Nephera

I was thinking about adding those, they're kind of useful if you throw them in with concussion nades or flashbangs but that basically requires you to have a breaching team with an infilitrator on it.
  19. Crywalker

High mag scoped sniper rifles.

Much better to get one w/6x and no sway than bothering with a 10 or 12x that swings your weapon all over the place.
    • Up x 2
  20. Brok9000

seems like a good list