Weapon Info Straight From the Game Files

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by StormFrog, Nov 28, 2012.

1. StormFrog

• Up x 13
  2. Vibe

Awesome.
  3. Gezak

Vaaary naaaace :)
  4. CurrytheGreat

Great! Has any clever man or woman figured out which weapon is statistically the best in what situation?
  5. centurionvi

Funny how so many people complain about the CARV when the Orion outclasses it in every way other than ammo capacity.
  6. StormFrog

They're very similar guns. They just have funny little differences that aren't listed on the more readable summary page.

Things like one of them having faster movespeed while in ADS, one having a lower first shot recoil multiplier, one having a slightly higher bullet velocity, or one having a lower recoil increase stat, etc.
    • Up x 1
  7. sneakbyte

The Flare is very interesting. It has higher damage per bullet and is on par with EM6. I ll trail this gun and see if its better than the Orion. Very interesting.
  8. StormFrog

Well, its TTK is about 10% longer than the Orion and it has slightly more vertical recoil. It's CoF stats and higher bullet damage make it seem like a weapon for ranges where you'd be firing in one or two round bursts.
  9. Stigma

You shouldn't be comparing them to begin with - they are not the same type of weapon. The orion is a CQC assault LMG. The Carv is a straight-up "typical" LMG. Comparing the Orion and the Carv is like comparing the TR semi-auto sniper to the NC bolt-action sniper. Just because they are the default weapons of the empire does not make them the same type. Like with the sniper rifles all the empires have access to weapons of an equivalent type - something like the MSW-R in this case for the TR.

The more glaring differences I just can't suqare (I've only started checking a few weapons so far) seem to confirm a suspicion I have had about most of the TR weapons in general for a while. Take for the CQC version of the medic assault rifle (cycler TRV for TR). That weapons is very similar for all 3 empires except - for some inexplicable reason the TR version is given about 6% more DPS (because of higher firing rate) and also +33% more ammo (not only pr. mag but also in how much ammo you carry - and it scales with extra ammo certs).

In return for these "raw power" stats the NC and VS weapons seem to only get some slight reductions in the (already nearly non-existent) recoil as well as slightly more bulletspeed (not really an issues for a CQC spraying rifle). The most significant tradeoff I can find is the reload speed as that is pretty important for this class of gun. However it turns out that its not exactly as bad as it seems when (compared to the VS version) you pay a +20% higher reload speed for a +33% larger clip - a deal I think everyone in their right minds would take.

This same trend in balancing seems to apply to all the weapons in general (in the sense that the same bonus and penalty traits relative to other empires are usually somewhat the same). The unfortunate result is that TR seems to be getting all the raw power and only have disadvantages of the kind you can overcome with skill. Despite the clearly highest DPS and clearly largest mag counts all the stats that really matter to an experienced player (like COF accuracy) seem to be kept the same, at least when standing still firing which is what you want to be doing when you want proper accuracy.

Having played all the empires extensively I had a nagging feeling about the TR small arms simply killing my enemies faster than the others (which is oh so much more important in PS2 than in for example BF3 due to the much higher TTK exaggerating the difference). The numbers seem to confirm this and go a long way towards explaining why. I'm not saying that these guns are so badly balanced that TR faceroll over the 2 other empires on infantry. That just isn't the case. The differences are small enough that player-skill, situational awareness ect. ect. very much eclipses them anyway. I don't feel gimped with either empires weapons. That said...I can't see any good reason to not want to use the TR weapons over the other empires weapons, and that just doesn't seem quite right.

-Stigma
    • Up x 2
  10. Scurge

Wow those bar stats are REALLY misleading.
    • Up x 1
  11. StormFrog

Keep in mind that the more readable "Fun Stuff" page doesn't have all of a gun's pertinent information. Things like recoil increase, which makes a gun's recoil increasing worse under sustained fire, aren't listed there. You have to do a little bit of searching to find all of the info on a weapon.
  12. Duckforceone

can't see the warden in there...
  13. StormFrog

That means he hasn't bothered to identify it yet.
  14. Bullwinkle 01

Doing some dps math...the CARV does 1789dps, the Gauss SAW does 1666. Stepping up to the GD22, NC damages goes DOWN to 1589. And all the NC weapons have higher recoil by 28% in the case of the base guns, and much longer reload times. NC does appear a bit screwed here.
    • Up x 2
  15. Trysaeder

T1 Cycler, to nobody's surprise.

Gauss SAW comes pretty close, but its vertical recoil, though counterable, makes it slightly harder to manage.
  16. Cheerilee

Don't forgett, that you can get Softpoint ammo for it. As far as i know you get 15 % more DMG. That means, the Flare got 1827,66 dps and the Orion got 1787,5 dps. And the flare got a bigger mag. Iam already plaing with the Flare and iam loving it :) With full attachments its a really monster. But you loose your range.
  17. Scurge

Ok share the formula to estimate the weapon dps plz.
  18. Gambles

Ohhh tell me more...
  19. Xiphos

I expect some adjustments to VS weapons to be honest.
  20. Kran De Loy

Also these are dated for 8 days ago and there have been a few patches since then.