[Suggestion] We need something more than a flashlight to counter cloakers

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FriendlyPS4, Jun 27, 2016.

1. FriendlyPS4

This is an invisible soldier that carries SMGs, radar and I have a flashlight to counter this? Most players don't carry flashlights on their primary because that slot is needed to counter the other classes. So most have a flashlight on our secondary. Now in the time it takes a player to switch to secondary a average cloaker will have your health cut in half a good cloaker will kill you.

At half health you are trying to find a cloaker with a flashlight that a cloaker can keep distance from to never be spotted by the flashlight. So you dead. Just took you a bit longer.

Im not calling for cloakers to be nerfed but we need something better than a flashlight. And we need to see cloakers at longer ranges that we presently can. This is about the PS2 on PS4 game. Don't know how its going on PC.
  2. Diggsano

Stalkers have:
    Infinite Cloak which is even in deepcloak visible

Cons of Stalkers:

-900hp and oneshotted even with pistols (Commissioner, Blackhand, Crossbow)

-Loud Cloak noice

-Nerfed EMP

-Only Pistol

-visible with a flashlight that costs 100certs which disables their 2000cert certed ability

-Cloak shines when hit with one single shot

Where is the Flashlight which disables the Ability of the:
    Light Assault?
    Medic?
    Heavy Assault?
    Ingie?

Right....IT WAS THE EMP WHICH GOT IT NERFED AWAY!

So please shut up and deal with it.
    • Up x 8
  3. FriendlyPS4

Cloakers have an SMG that they can fire at a distance greater than you can ever first spot them with a flashlight. So most of the time you only know what killed you after you are dead.

LAs make a sound too. LAs, cloakers, Engys have similar liabilities. In that they don't have the same shield a Heavy has or have the same ability to quickly pop health as a medic has. Cloakers have a key advantage over those classes in that cloakers can be invisible. Stay at a range that a flashlight can't pick them up, while staying at that same range that their SMG can get the kill.

Oh and about sound. How many of us have been killed by a cloaker never hearing that sound, ever. A cloaker can stay at a good distance to wear that sound is so faint that it just melts into the other sounds. While you're dead by SMG.

Notice I did not complain about any other classes because there are many counters. There is only ONE counter with cloaker, a flashlight.
  4. Diggsano

SMGs are for Closerange.

There is one Counter for Stalker.

There are no Counters for a heavy, engie, medic,light assault...only one would be killing them,which also counts for Infiltrator, but Infiltrator have already 100hp less.

I bet you are either a scrub with lags which complains about not seeing Inifltrators because you have a Potato running Planetside or just a strange hate to Infiltrators... Have you even tried playing the Class once? You are squishy as hell and there are at least 2 people searching you with that such low Darklight.

Learn 2 Play.
    • Up x 1
  5. Taemien

[IMG]

Set the highlighted settings to the values indicated.

You can now see Infils cloaked up 100m or further depending on lighting conditions and colors. If you cannot see them still, see an optician.

There's the only counter you need. If its not enough, then blame whatever supreme being you believe in for not blessing you with better eyesight. Makes no sense to put in counters for people who can't see a computer screen less than 30" in front of them.
    • Up x 5
  6. FriendlyPS4

For anyone who bothers to mention an EMP grenade counters cloakers. Where do you throw this grenade to hit this invisible enemy that may or may not be around and if they are around can be any where without being seen. In short you have no cause to throw a grenade. Or even turn on your flashlight. Now sometimes you do see players leaving a safe base with a flashlight just to be safe.

How many times we ever see players randomly throw an EMP grenade leaving a spawn of a quiet base checking for cloakers. I never have. Where would they throw this grenade in the bases, again a cloaker can be anywhere, if they are there at all.

So again the best of the worst limited options available, that one flashlight.
  7. FriendlyPS4

Another classic learn to play reply. Not one of these forum baddies have ever 1v1 me. #boring

The last time I was killed by a cloaker it was with an NS SMG (so pro) and he was standing on a building ledge at a kill distance but not at a distance I could ever spot him with a flashlight.
  8. Diggsano

I was there when no Flashlight was around and Infiltrators had SMGs...

After that big nerf every Infiltrator does still complain about remove the flashlight.

And here are you, the glorious hero who demand another nerf?

You are never satisfied with the things given to you and you will never be statisfied.

You just want to make yourself great by making others Small and i hate that kind of human beeing.

You can't just demand a nerf on something which isn't just your playstyle..

Everyone should have a strong side and a weak side and every class has that, even Infiltrator.
  9. PlanetBound

Infiltrators don't engage every opportunity. There's plenty of times you strolled by an infil on your way to a terminal or around your base but weren't attacked. Different class, different goals. Go AFK and I'll knife you but likely you aren't that important at the moment.
  10. MrMinistry30

Oh Please, Commi is still accurate enough with a flashlight so you don't lose anything using it that way. And if he gets too annoying counter him as an infy yourself. Spotters/Darts, mines, (Stalker)cloak ... Chose at least 1 and go for it, he will be easy to defeat in most cases
  11. Hegeteus

Those infiltrator radars work both ways. Motion spotters can be worked around, but they will always at least slow enemy infiltrators down greatly in order to not be spotted and if you want to further screw with them you have plenty of vehicle radars to choose from. Or just keep your eyes and ears open...
  12. Taemien

I use my eyes and ears. I don't need EMP, Motion Spotters, or Sensors. I find them and shoot them. Simple as that.

As I said, I can see cloakers under 200m away (I'd wager you can't even see my Engie further away than that). And I can hear them within 50m if they cloak. I can also tell the exact location they cloaked if its within 25m due to my 5.1 surround sound.

And I've played Infils in the past. I know where they will be through intuition. I've been quoted by a dev agreeing with the following statement: If you play a infil, you learn how it works and know how to kill it.

You have options. You chose to lay down and take it. That's your issue to fix. Not everyone else's. You're getting ganked by literally the 2nd weakest class in the game. If they gave you the ability to see through cloak. You'd still die to them as much as you say you do. Your issue is something else.
    • Up x 1
  13. Eternaloptimist

So ppl are fed up with 'nerf HA' and 'nerf Vanu' and 'nerf GK'. It's the turn of the I-got-killed-by-an-infil whiners is it? Just checking.
  14. JKomm

When these classes can use their abilities to stay on a point indefinitely to re-capture it without ever being spotted, then yes make a flashlight for them. Until then this logic is extremely flawed. Darklight was created BECAUSE of Stalkers, without it they would be unbelievably powerful and only capable of being found through sheer dumb luck. The Darklight itself isn't even that effective, there are times I shine it directly on an infiltrator and they do not illuminate whatsoever, moments later they decloak exactly where I was looking(Mostly because they assume I found them). In bright areas it's virtually impossible to find them against the background.

Now explain to me the logic behind a light which disables the abilities of each class? How would light turn off a jetpack, or a shield, or negate a cloud of nanites? Not to mention shut down an Engineer turret. Being that the infiltrator has an ability that bends light around the user, it makes sense that technologically there would be a light wave which does not.
  15. FateJH

You have your wits and that's much better than any Flashlight. (Usually. It depends on the person.)
    • Up x 1
  16. EPIC389

Looks like game discussion is getting salty again. Probably time to go back into the infil class discussion section. You will piss off alot of infils saying that
  17. Demigan

Screen size has an important role in this.

On my screen, infiltrators are tough to see beyond 50m (even before that they can be tough to see). However, recorded footage from my screen played on a much larger screen from someone who helped me make some video's suddenly had infiltrators popping up all over. Some of them could be seen at around 150m distance. And not in the "oh yeah, there's a cloaker there" way but in the "how on earth can you miss that distortion over there, he's less visible without cloak".

So screen size has a massive impact on the visibility of cloakers. Especially since it was recorded footage, it wasn't as if the larger screen used different options and settings.
    • Up x 1
  18. Sulsa

Geezus another one of these threads?

Just come out and say "I want immunity from _____ " because that is what you are looking for. There are already plenty of counters.
    You counter a cloaker by listening, looking around and always be on the move. It is another real life player who may be better than you. You may not win every engagement. To expect that a certain loadout gives you 99% certainty to win over such an engagement because of bad decisions or a lack of experience or any other environmental/player factor is just ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  19. Demigan

@ the whole infiltrator discussion:

Infiltrators have a defense that other classes don't have: visibility. If your enemy can't see you, he won't fire. If he only has an idea of where you are, most shots miss. This is a very powerful tool when used right, and gives the infiltrator far more power and survival than a Heavy shield.

The darklight is pretty balanced, I would actually put it at UP rather than OP if I had to choose. It's CQC, it is specialized against a single class and a good infiltrator (without stalker) will never have a problem with a darklight being used, because the moment a darklight can see you, you should already be attacking your opponent. The latency system does not allow you to sit around hoping not to be noticed, if you wait for your enemy to spot you, you are dead by the time you see him open fire on your screen.

The darklight specialization against a single class is also a big problem. Laser sights for instance give you an edge against all classes. This is also where many of the infiltrator worshippers (btw, nothing wrong with worshipping the infil) go wrong. They see that the darklight is the only tool that nullifies an ability. What they fail to see is that other classes might not have their abilities nullified, but they are killed faster by the slots otherwise equipped by the darklight option.
  20. Stormsinger

Pretty much this - I have quality set to much higher than this, and I still have a fairly easy time spotting anything but crouch / deep cloak.

There's also scout radar, which... you can not only put on Flashes, but also Ants. Heck, kit an ant out with a Kobalt and scout radar, and you now have a platform that's impervious to Infiltrators, and can obliterate them if you catch them within 100 meters. If you're having trouble with cloakers in a player base, just park one of these behind a wall and sit there. Even with the anti-tracking implant, the moment they sprint / jump, they pop right up on radar, and you can spray down most friendly vehicles / structures without fear of friendly fire damage.

The one thing I really want vs infiltrators, is console-shields, or some manner of protection when waiting for a UI button to load. Being shot mid-selection, then losing resources due to catching headshots is just buggy.
    • Up x 1