[VS] Versatile LMG besides Pulsar LSW

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by AlexTurner, Jun 11, 2013.

1. AlexTurner

Hi,

I am looking for a new guy for my HA, I have maxed out the Pulsar LSW and already got the purple ribbon too. I'm looking for something new to tried on, it must be versatile though, I like play in long and medium range, but if needed I play CQC too.
    So any suggestion?

Im thinking SVA 88. Flare is good but RoF too slow for CQC same goes for Ursa.
  2. Hrafnagaldr

SVA-88 is a better LSW with 0.75 strafe modifier. In my opinion it is the best allround LMG in this game I have encountered so far.
    Or stick with the Orion, DPS are insane but it lacks potence beyond medium ranges and attachment options.
    • Up x 3
  3. Kiten

I wholeheartedly recommend you the SVA-88.

It is quite similar to the Pulsar LSW; but the key difference is in that it possesses the same 0.75 strafe modifier that the Orion has. This means you move 50% faster while aiming down sights than most guns in the game. It allows you for faster peeks and fades, which I feel makes up for the increased vertical recoil per bullet (whereas the first shot recoil is actually lower). It also possesses a better cone of fire than the Pulsar LSW when moving, which meshes well with the previously discussed speed bonus.

I personally outfit it as a long-range weapon in order to increase my dent at medium to long range even more, and manage to still perform well in closer quarters. It may not be like an Orion kitted with laser sights in hipfire, but I find the accuracy in that situation is still quite decent for an LMG.

I may be biased as it is my favourite Heavy Assault gun for the Vanu; but I hope my opinion helps you any. :)
    • Up x 1
  4. Word Of Madness

Like the others have said, the SVA-88 is great. The advantages it has over the Pulsar LSW are the 0.75ADS move speed, a far lower first shot recoil that allows you to more effectively control burst fire at long distances, an easier to manage recoil pattern, a tighter cone of fire while moving and a slightly faster short reload. The Orion gains a bit of ROF over it, but loses out on the magazine size and has a higher first shot recoil.

It's easily the most versatile and best all-round LMG for the VS. The Ursa may be worth considering for long distance engagements, and a shotgun for the super-close stuff, but other than that the SVA-88 is all you need.
    • Up x 2
  5. Akashar

I like the Polaris too. Orion is insanely powerful in 1v1 CQC, but you need lots of supports to keep on if there are more hostiles. I did auraxium medal with the flare, and coming back to the orion made my days :). But polaris with soft point ammo and adv laser sight is good too, if you're not laggy as I am.^^
  6. AlexTurner

Thanks for all the help guys, I already bought the SVA-88 and it satisfying, I already got a silver medal on my first run!

Thanks alot
    • Up x 2
  7. sindz

What? SVA-88 has more vertical recoil, has both left and right horizontal recoil where as LSW has only right.
  8. Word Of Madness

The LSW has both left and right horizontal recoil too. The tendancy to recoil towards the right is not caused by horizontal recoil, but by the recoil angle, which is applied to the vertical recoil. Angled recoil weapons having horizontal recoil in one direction is a common misconception spouted by many, but it's easy to see it's wrong if you fire one of the SMGs that supposedly only has recoil in one direction. It's easy to see the horizontal recoil going in both directions, despite the rightwards trend. It's even more noticeable with a 4x scope.

Weapons with balanced horizontal recoil are typically easier to manage than those with angled recoil. Since you only need to pull down, rather than down and right or left.

The base vertical recoil value is higher, but when you consider the SVA-88 has a lower ROF, and can use a compensator, the recoil is most likely lower. I'd have to go and test it for certain though.
    EDIT: Oops, I had the wrong recoil value for the Pulsar LSW, it does indeed have quite a bit less vertical recoil overall. I still consider the SVA-88 easier to manage due its balanced recoil and low first shot multiplier.
    • Up x 2
  9. sindz

10. Word Of Madness

Go to VR and get an Eridani SMG with a 4X scope. The Eridani only has horizontal recoil to the right according to the spreadsheet (I believe this is user inputted data, rather than something sourced from the game files). Now fire the weapon. It's pretty clear that the Eridani zig-zags, going left and right as it climbs up. Overall, the recoil does end up going towards the right though, this is because the vertical component of the recoil is delivered at the recoil angle listed, in this case 20 degrees.

I'm happy to put together a quick diagram on how recoil works in Planetside 2 if it helps me explain better.
    • Up x 1
  11. sindz

I can't try the eridani atm, but I tried the LSW vs the SVA just before. And I believe the data is sourced from game files as a user wouldnt be able to tell teh correct recoil angel etc. While I will agree that the LSW doesnt exactly 100% pull only to the right since bullet spred is on the left and right (and it the game would be too easy to stay on target hence the recoil angle), but its way more dominant right horizontal recoil so its alot more managable, where as the left and right from SVA is unpredictable and harder to stay on target.

And please, make a diagram, I enjoy learning new stuff. Though im quite i understand and agree in your point(s), but its still alot more managable recoilwise, than weapons that have left and right horizontal pull.
  12. Word Of Madness

I only meant the "Horizontal Recoil Bias" column. The rest or the data, or most of it, is sourced from game files.

I'll doodle something up in Photoshop. I made one a while ago to help explain it to someone, but it was quick and dirty and probably added more confusion to the matter, if I spend more than a minute on it it should be of more use.
  13. Van Dax

SVA-88 is what I recommend as the standard issue weapon for anyone who is unsure: good movement, good fire rate, a decent mag size, and controllable recoil to go with its high velocity rounds.
    attachments: compensator and forward grip, for the majority of my play time with it I stuck with iron sights but recently I changed to the 2x reflex (not really any difference for me personally)
    • Up x 1
  14. i4PLAY

Hmmm..no love for the NS-15M?! Just got this one and I kind of like it
  15. sindz

No, the NS-15M is also very good especially the low reload times makes it good for aggressive HA plays.
  16. Word Of Madness

This is my understanding of how recoil functions. I've done numerous tests in game that all back this up, and all of my testing as well as mathematics and common sense has debunked the "horizontal recoil only goes in one direction" recoil theory. I can't be 100% certain on any of this, but I haven't found anything against it either apart from forum hearsay.

http://i.imgur.com/4nJbcoD.png

Note, this does not account for cones of fire. It also isn't 100% accurate, but works fine for demonstrative purposes.

Your first shot hits where you aim at. You then get your recoil, this is 0.3 multiplied by the first shot recoil of 2.75X. That gets us to the green dot. Now the angle must be accounted for. Although the recoil on the Pulsar LSW can be between 14 and 17 degrees, I've just used a constant 16 degrees for simplicity's sake. Finally, we account for the horizontal recoil, which is always 0.2 degrees. This will either be left or right, and appear to be randomly decided. In the case it's to the right. I'm unsure if the horizontal recoil is also affected by the first shot multiplier, I've assumed it isn't but I actually have no idea.

For the second shot, we do the same thing again, but with the first shot multiplier. The horizontal recoil again goes to the right. For the third shot, the process is repeated, this time my coin is tails, so the recoil goes to the left. This process then repeats until you stop firing. In theory half of the shots have leftwards horizontal recoil, and half of them have rightwards horizontal recoil. This is why there is still the jitter effect on weapons with angled recoil. The angle of the recoil is decided by, and only by the recoil angle stat. If the horizontal recoil were to only go in one direction, then the angle is wrong or the angle is far higher than what is observable in game.

If anyone is able to shed further light on the finer details of how the recoil works, or even debunk my hypothesis entirely, then I'd love to hear it. Just please don't get in a rage and tell me I'm wrong because some guy on some forum said something and didn't provide any explanation or evidence for it.

Back on to the main topic: I too quite like the NS-15M. I picked it up a few days and I haven't touched on my VS character, but I have been liking it a lot on my TR character. The 0.75ADS move speed, quick reload and very low recoil make for a nice weapon. It does lack in terms of damage per second though.
    • Up x 1
  17. S0LAR15

The recoil that pulls to one side or the other basically recoils both left and right around a straight line of Angle X. For the straight up recoilers this angle is 0, that is the only difference, and is easier for you to adjust for. If you think straight up recoil results in zig-zag around the middle, then the to the left or right recoil results in zig-zag around a line of angel X, they both zig zag off the centre just in different directions.
    • Up x 2
  18. Mekhazzio

This is correct. All weapons have random horizontal recoil going both left and right. The "biased" weapons simply have their vertical recoil vector angled somewhere other than straight up, which makes it add to the horizontal component as well. The weapon is not any less random, the randomness of horizontal recoil is just masked from casual observation.

In fact, angled vertical recoil -adds- to the weapon's randomness, because an angled vertical recoil almost always comes with a random angle. Thus, you can never accurately predict how much horizontal or vertical component will be added to a shot, making it impossible to fully compensate. This is in contrast to a straight-up vertical, which is always utterly reliable in direction and magnitude.

Angled vertical recoil is a penalty, not a bonus. It makes the weapon less accurate.
    • Up x 1
  19. Negator

Low DPS output makes it rough for aggressive HA players
  20. sindz

No it doesn,t not when you have 2sec reload times.

your understanding of low dps is warped. Take a look at the TTK times on the different guns.