(Vanu) Nyx Scout Rifle Discussion

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Lavalampe, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Nyth_

Actually the XM98 also has a slightly faster reload, however that is almost neglectable.
    The reason to pay an extra 900 certs for 50 bullet speed is simply because it's better. You can more easily hit people at a distance or people moving perpendicular.

Why though? Because the spectre statistically has NOTHING over the Nyx.
    It has higher damage, but that is negated by the Nyx's higher rate of fire (both requiring multiple shots); that pulls it equal.
    The Nyx has lower bloom in it's cone of fire, meaning that if you put multiple rounds down range, you have a much higher chance for them to land where you want them.
    The Nyx has no horizontal recoil unlike the Spectre and practically identical vertical recoil.
    The Nyx has a faster reload speed, both with and without "bullet in the chamber".

Basically the only edge the Spectre really has when I look at the stats; is that it can mount the sniper scopes; but we're talking medium-short range engagements here.
    The spectre is more versatile maybe if you like to keep different versions in your loadout setup (as in you can make one for close and one for long range engagements) but that doesn't change much.

If you don't like the Nyx you don't like it; I get that, but statistically there isn't all that much that downplays the Nyx over semi-auto snipers in med-close range fights.
  2. Nyth_

Granted, due to the slightly higher vertical recoil and the faster RoF the scout rifle does tend to kick slightly more.
  3. BigMcLargeHuge

"
    Couple things. You're first shot is your best chance to hit accurately. You hit someone in the head with a spectre then it's just one quick follow up shot. That's easier to pull off then trying to do the same with a Nyx, you land your headshot opening then you're target is going to be dancing and you have to hit your next shots while doing full tilt on the rapidfire. I find that a lot more difficult.
  4. Nikushimi

Dont waste the certs on the laser sight

Two problems with it
    #1 Laser sights are bugged, even if you toggle it off it is still visiable to others (pretty much killing your cloak).
    #2 It only really effects fireing from the hip, it will still have a massive COF when not scoped laser sight or not

Also i think whoever stated using a comp and laser sight was trolling, (Comp increases hip fire COF, negating any effect you would have gotten from the laser sight.)
  5. Balindrum

I actually really like the Nyx, for CQC at any rate. I have a suppressor and x1 reflex sight on mine, and I love it. It's arguably the best CQC weapon the Vanu infiltrator has available to him. There is some degree of personal taste involved, and you do have to be accurate. Every missed shot will hurt you, a lot.

Don't go in with it expecting to be able to use it as a carbine, you'll die. Pick and choose your targets. It's very nice at short ranges, and performs reasonably well at medium-to-long, though it does begin to struggle the further out you're shooting.

All in all, it's nothing spectacular, but it does its job to a good standard, which is more than can be said for other Vanu infiltrator weapons in CQC. Medium range you're likely better off with a semi-auto sniper rifle, and long ranges you're definitely better off with the V10, or the new Parallax if you don't already own the V10.
  6. BigMcLargeHuge

Let me explain why I don't like the Nyx further. I do notice the less bloom on the Nyx compared to the spectre. But with the spectre you're 2-3 shotting your target. The Nyx you have to maintain aim on your target basically centered all the time you're firing.

I'm firing with a Spectre I fire off my first shot my follow up shot I got just a little bit of time in-between to make sure I'm right on my target and he's lined up just right, often times cause your opponent hit you and it knocked your scope off target. Tell me which is easier to maintain a Nyx lined up the whole time you're whaling on your target or cracking off 2-3 shots with your spectre?

I understand less bloom. But I think you're letting yourself get blinded by that and not how the weapon works in an actual fight. I don't find this weapon winning any fights I couldn't have won easier with other weapons and I feel like I'm giving up a lot to use this thing. Situation to situation I don't feel like I'm optimizing myself using it.

If Nyx had less fire rate needed to maintain DPS I might like the weapon but it doesn't you have to go nuts with this thing and you're leaving a lot to chance. If I had a metric comparing all my battles at 30-40m between Nyx and spectre I'd guarantee spectre would blow this weapon out of the water. And honestly if you want to know how good your weapon works for it's role that is what you'd want to check. Find all the players that use both weapons and compare for the particular range. Between head bobbing from taking dmg and having to keep the crosshairs centered while hammering away full tilt it's frustrating to use this weapon.

You know.. think shotguns cause I think they got similar issues. Like comparing a nighthawk to a nova for example. Nova obviously the better of the two and I'm sure the metric will show that (not just cause of the obvious differences with reload). With the nighthawk you're using it for the full auto. You're pressing the button down and you're basically trying to hold your crosshairs as close as possible to center of mass maybe just a bit higher for headshots. I find that rather difficult and it leads a lot of random luck draws. Now the Nova you're only thinking about landing those couple crucial shots you need to kill your target. You're aiming better cause you have more breathing room between shots and you're not going to always be firing off at maximum fire rate. The Nyx and Spectre works similar you get more breathing room. You got more time to line up. You know what dmg you've taken and how well your target is hitting. You can make the decision (if you want to call reactions from procedural memory decision making)to take a shot you might miss or to take your time.
    • Up x 1
  7. Nyth_

The guy who suggested this wasn't trolling with it, actually quite the opposite he does rather well.

The thought is that the Nyx has too much kick to be used in CQC; to counter this you get the compensator.
    The compensator however decreases your hipfire accuracy, so to counter THAT you also get a laser.
    What you end up with is a CQC semi auto that doesn't kick as much, and can be shot without ADS.

The Nyx has enough power that if you catch your opponent by surprise (and even if not) you can put enough rounds accurately on your opponent even without going ADS.

The laser bug is annoying, but I think you have to be within a certain range to even see the laser, within that range the whole point of cloak really falls away as it's easy enough to spot you anyway.
  8. Nyth_

I've yet to try them both out more, i have to be fair. (I have both, but i've been having some good times with the 12x V10 lately).

But it seems to me you're not using the Nyx with the specific upgrades that it CAN get and the Spectre can't. Which is what makes the Nyx slightly better.

The Nyx can get a compansator, which SHOULD make it a lot easier to stay on target, combined with the higher rate off fire your TTK (time to kill) should be lower.
    You can even put a laser sight on it as well so your hipfire doesn't suffer from the compansator at all, so it becomes a beast hipfiring; much like a shotgun.
    On top of that you can get a low zoom optic on it (1-4x zoom) so that ADS in the sub-100m ranges are much easier.
  9. pnkdth

Should have learned my lesson from buying the VS battle rifle. Mid range semi auto rifles are terrible in this game. Get hit once and your aim goes out the window. Secondly and thirdly, the rate of fire and bullet velocity makes the Nyx a joke, even if you land perfect headshots you're at a disadvantage over carbines, LMGs, and ARs.

Battle rifles and semi auto scout rifles are cool concepts but DO NOT waste your certs/SC on them untill the devs fix the "OMFG I AM TAKING FIRE SHAKEY SHAKEY CAM"-mechanic.

I am not saying you can't kill with the Nyx, but you're going to have to work for it.

Laser sight is cool, but apparently it is server side and it doesn't matter if you turn it off or not. You're still going to be seen.

Comp and forward grip. I noticed only the slightest of improvment on vertical recoil(despite being told it would make a big difference) and the foward grip use is debatable(better than nothing I guess).

TL;DR: I rather use the VA39 Spectre over this any day of the week. It is a cool, but flawed, concept. One of two things needs changing;
    1. Rate of Fire. Too long between follow up shots. Compensator should help more.
    2. Damage increase. Same as above, only from the other end of the spectrum.
  10. Fishie

I agree with pretty much all of this, but I'd like to point out that the laser sight thing has actually been debunked. I've tested it myself with a friend, and others have reported similar. If you press L to disable it, it won't show for other players. It's a rather pointless addition to the Nyx anyway, though, since the gun has insane spread unless you wait like .5 seconds between each shot. Which obviously means you'll lose the target or die.
  11. pnkdth

The issue becomes even more glaring when you play LA for awhile. As a LA I;
    1. Kill more reliably, even at range. Using Pulsar C with 2x grip and compensator means I have a reliable long range carbine which does more damage per bullet(artemis), larger magazine, and superior accuracy than either of our scout rifles. You get the distinct feeling that the LA is just more suitable to infiltrate and outflank than we ever can be. Mostly because you barely can climb hills and even the most mundane slopes seem to be mean certain death, or just being impossible to get over.
    2. Move around much quicker.
    3. Almost always get the drop on people. One would think we'd be good at that, but outside of sniping our cloak tend to alert everyone to our presence. That is to say we haven't already been seen and killed(IR scopes are common these days).
    4. I have C4 which means I can at least blow a sunderer up or destroy max units.

You really wonder why they even bothered with giving us hacking and scout rifles. They essentially gave us tools for us to use in an area where we are outclassed by every single class in the game. Indeed, the more I play the more these two abilities feels like a poorly thought out bandaid for an unfinished class. This is further reinforced by them giving us even more sniper rifles.

They should have just called us Snipers and drop the pretense of base infiltration being important at all. Give us more tools to use in the area the game obviously wants us to use them in. I love the idea of an infiltrator but I rather not have one than have some half arsed afterthought of a class.

However, after this is wall of negativity I am still having fun, even though it is sometimes frustrating to die against someone that wouldn't even have the chance to react if you had used another class. It is still very satisfying to get kills but yeah, the weapons that makes us behave like infiltrators are inherantly inferior to other classes. I get why, of course, as we most of us remember the shotgun incident but this cannot be used as an excuse to always put us at a distinct disadvantage. Shotguns + stealth class just didn't make sense. A normal carbine makes just as much sense on an infiltrator as it does on a LA. Both are ambush classes, and I would argue that LA does it better.
    • Up x 1
  12. ghnurbles

Getting hit punishes low RoF weapons the most at the moment, which is especially frustrating with the semi-autos, and to a lesser degree the NC weapons from the sounds of it. I would prefer if getting hit actually threw your aim off rather than adding to your CoF when ADS, because at the moment there's no way to tell how accurate you are or compensate for it.

I think the RoF of the Nyx is fine if you're landing shots, but I agree the bullet velocity is a problem - it's entirely possible to whiff a whole magazine on a target that is moving unpredictably in moderate-to-close ranges.

I can second that, having an Auraxium medal with both the VX6-7 and the Nyx.

I would say that the CQC Infiltrator *is* as effective as the LA, but in much fewer situations. I would say this is more because of the cloaks than the weapons - the Hunter cloak is best used outdoors, and the Nyx can do good work with it there, but the Infiltrator doesn't have any good close-range cloak options at the moment. The nano-armor cloak isn't worth using, so if you want to do indoors work with an Infiltrator you have to spam mines to be effective.

What I would like to see for indoors work is a cloak that provides complete or near-complete invisibility for short durations. So you can actually come through a door without being seen, or shake opponents if you run into them at close range, you just have to get out of there quickly before the stealth breaks.

CQC Infiltrator is the most fun. It's replaced LA as my go-to class, though my KDR doesn't thank me for it. Give me a close-range cloak to match the Hunter and I'll be happy.
  13. itzCujo666

So...I did end up getting the laser sight, and not convinced. Played with it all weekend, over 2x XP, but not sure if I like it or not. Compensator, yeah sure, a no brainer, but laser sight....there have been some times it's 100% given me away, and not sure how much benefit I'm getting from the reduced hip fire spread.

The jury is still out.
  14. KorJax

Laser sight works fine, just turn the laser off with L

You have to remember to do this everytime you spawn though, even if you spawn with it off already. The problem is the server doesn't see that its off until you actually turn it off on that spawn. So if you spawn and its off, the server thinks its on so it'll show up to everybody. The only way to fix it is to turn it on and then off again everytime you spawn.

Best part about it the hipfire bonus still applies even with the laser off.

People really underestimate how good it is. Being able to hipfire with the Nyx is cruicial in being swift and effective with it in close range engagements. Without the laser sight you pretty much have to ADS with the rifle in order to do anything with it close range, unless you have a reflex sight. But even then, the reflex sight takes time to aim and get your target- time that gets you killed when we are talking about split seconds- while hipfire is instinctive.

Besides, I love being able to have a 6X scope on my nyx for semi-auto sniping at medium/closer ranges (and at long range it works, though only at softening targets), while also being able to easily use it in close range situations thanks to the laser sight.

(and by the way, it does kill in two shots if at least one of them was a headshot. Dunno where people are getting that it doesn't, the only time you need two headshots to kill in two shots is if you are firing it at longer range due to damage degredation)
  15. grin

I did a little maths to figure out what kind of bonuses and detrimental effects the mods have. I took screenshots of hipfire COF reticules for default, compensator, laser point, and compensator + laser point mods on carbine and nyx. On the carbine the lawer point appears to reduce hip cof by 29% and the compensator increases hip cof by 18.2% while reducing vert. recoil by 12.3%. Theoretically this means the combination would net you 10.8% hip cof reduction and 12.3% recoil reduction, a nice little double bonus. In practice on the nyx, there is no cof increase from the compensator. Testing indicates the combination of compensator and laser point on the nyx produces a 29% reduction in hip COF and a 12% reduction in vertical recoil. Either the compensator is bugged on the nyx or the hip cof decrease on the compensator is not countered by the laser point, but completely superceded by it. Having the laser point gives you the full laser point bunus regardless of whether you have compensator. There are no drawbacks.
  16. Xiphos

Alternatively, the effects of the laser and compensator are not a percentage but flat number.
  17. Metalloid

For anyone wondering about rails.
    [IMG]
    Laser dot is worth using.
    [IMG]
    Forward grip does nothing.