Vanguard vs Prowler

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Konfuzfanten, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Frozen-K

Things like this make me wish we had a vote down key. The prowler isn't garbage. It does have problems (like the other tanks), but it's far from garbage. And that is coming from someone with days clocked in a prowler.
    • Up x 4
  2. Iosef Stalin

experiments require trials, control groups, and variables in order to trump math.
  3. EliteEskimo

I'm sure it will continue to be, although one more nerf and it probably won't be that noticeable. The splash damage radius is pathetic, and to see infantry shrugging off multiple HEAT shells landing under 2 meters away from them and surviving without Flak armor is pathetic. It has convinced me to use AP much more though, I'm decent at direct hitting infantry but having to compensate for infantry movement at 15-17 FPS in big battles isn't fun. It's sad that the developers gave infantry super powerful flak armor, and upcoming anti-screen shake implants, yet despite all that tanks are still getting nerfed...
  4. Makora

As someone who only passingly dabbles in tanking (prowler). I ask this about the math regarding vanguard shield.

Is it a straight up "+2000HP" Or is it more like a heavy's standard shield? Why I ask this is because how sure are everyone that the resistances and damage bonuses apply same to the shield as they do to the tank? Also, does it have a "shield gate"? Meaning, say a shield has 500 health and takes 1000 damage, is the remaining 500 damage dealt to health or ignored (in later case being "shield gated")

If the resistances and weak points of the vanguard shield are different then the tank itself, then the math is a slight bit different. Again I am only a mediocre tanker, at best. So I'm not that privy to the details.
  5. Flag

It's a straight up 2 000 HP, but it takes directional resists into account.
    For reference, the base MBT (all 3) have 4 000 HP.

For the example of the 500 - 1000 damage, it is not ignored. Any excess damage will be dealt to the tank if the shield breaks.
  6. Carranco

anyone can do the maths of dps/hp with a magrider vs a vanguard and vs a prowler ? i wanna see how bad is the mag in comparation with those 2.
  7. Tedd

As long ya can side strafe you're ok, mag will out kill any tank. Lets make it even and put some feet on the magrider. Then ppl can cry about hrm low dmg(whit out kills a prowler) and some hp.
  8. Flag

Ignoring the abilities, their Time To Kill are fairly close.
    I don't have the exact numbers, so I'm sorry if this answer doesn't satisfy. :)
  9. Countryboy41

An AP/Enforcer (2/2) Vanguard vs. a AP/Front Armor (1/2) lockdown Prowler. Prowler seems to win every time, granted not by much, but still cant seem to beat a lockdown ap prowler and thats at point blank. At range its no contest in favor of the prowler.
  10. Frosty The Pyro

as previously stated, the vanguard squeeks by in a 2/2 vs 2/2 situation, prowlers main canon does a bit more than twice the dps of the vans main cannon when locked down, but lock down provides no bonus to the secondary. The sheild, which adds up to 50% effective hp, by virtue of being defensive, does effect the secondary (by extending the life of which it can fire).

If it was 1/2 vs 1/2 the prowler would win fairly handidly.

On the other hand in a 2/2 situation as stated in the original question, the prowler could win by having the secondary gunner get out and repair wile hidding behind. repair gun > sheild by a good margin. and if the vanguard tried the same thing, its losing a much larger percent of its dps by giving up the secondary gunner, dispite the higher armor resulting in a faster effective health point gain via repair.

mag dps is ~3-4% lower than vanguard ps for the main cannons, though saron out dps the enforcer, so when you sum them mag out damage vanguard by wee bit. Addmitidly I did that math some time ago, and the enforcer has been nerfed sense then, but I also think I was not including the AP bonus vs tanks.

Prowlers main cannon does a bit over 40% vanguards dps, I want to say 43% but I dont remember the exact number of the top of my head, and realy need to get to bed, so i am not going to pull my spreadsheet.

mag hp is identical to prowler hp, vanguards have 12.6% more effective hp (to frontal armor)
  11. Serialkillerwhale

But then again, the Vanguard can use it's shield to power through the prowler's shots into a position behind it if it's really a face-to-face slugfest.
  12. Alarox

Mathematically the Prowler will lose by a second or so, but in practice all comes down to positioning and initiative.

The better tank team will end up winning most of the time unless the situation heavily favors one tank over another. Then again, ending up in that situation could be because one side made the right decisions while the other did not.
    • Up x 1