TSAR-42 with 4x scope - gameplay vid

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by d34thw4g0n, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Hoki

Pretty sure I posted to this thread before and I don't see my post now.
  2. FlayvorOfEvil

All thanks to you, I decided to get the SAS-R against the advice of my teammates, slap a suppressor and 3.4 scope and I am netting so many kills. It makes you feel more like an infiltrator when you're up close.
  3. sosolidshoe

I picked up the Ghost and the 4x scope, but discovered there's one extra thing you need; skill :p

I'll have a serious go at using it at some point, but I found it a little frustrating because I have so much trouble landing headshots on anyone who's not perfectly still. I'm actually, against all odds, finding the Nyx a real joy to use, since I can aim for headshots, but if I miss or get a body instead it's not the end of the world even at relatively short distances.
  4. MrIDoK

Yeah... that's the thing with the close-range bolt actions. You need to rely on headshots, otherwise your target is going to escape. But each shot is enough to strip them of shields and some health, which is very good to finish them off.
    That is the reason why i love pairing the TSAR with the EMP grenade to make absurdly effective ambushes, especially in small bases being capped by a small enemy team: throw the grenade in the middle of them and start hitting them. The EMP take care of their shields and 1 shot from the TSAR is enough to finish them. Also the TSAR rechambers faster than the other bolt actions, so it's very useful for mid-range sniping with the 4x optic.

I'd like to enjoy the KSR as much as you're enjoying the Nyx (they are similar, even if the KSR has more damage being a sniper rifle and not a scout rifle), if it wasn't for that annoying little bug that makes me see the sniper scope overlay over every other scope i use. o_O
    Still, it's incredibly effective and 3-shots people unless you encounter a nanoweave 1 user or a medic that activates the aoe heal.
  5. sosolidshoe

I'll have to give that a try, I've been using the EMP as a prelude to assaulting a room with my SMG, or as a way to increase the number of kills from a double prox-mine suicide run.

The KSR would be the TR close-range semi-auto sniper, right? I actually have the VS equivalent as well, the Phantom, it's quite a nice weapon. I was using it prior to the SMG release because of its utility; it works well at medium range with a 4x scope, and if you have to move into buildings you can flip to the 1x Reflex optic which pairs nicely with its ability to fire auto(albeit only as fast as you could fire it manually) while ADS, it made getting the 3 body shots for a kill simple providing you could aim before your opponent reacted. The reason I switched to the Nyx recently is because it essentially does the same job, but trades some damage away in exchange for no scope-sway and better hipfire, both useful characteristics for someone like me who's not the most amazing shot and who tends to cack themselves and spam mouse-1 when I get surprised at close quarters :p

I actually had a great fight using it last night with your fellow TR on Miller at Xenotech Labs, which is pretty much ideal territory for such a gun; relatively large spaces between buildings, hilly surrounding terrain. Plenty of opportunities to take advantage of both the 4x scope and "oh****" hipfiring when you round corner and find yourself staring down the barrel of an MCG, heh.
  6. MrIDoK

Yeah, the emp is useful only for such occasions... But it's tricky to use because you end up frying yourself and your allies at the same time. But frying a BR1 was the best time in the world "Did you all get that bug where the hud disappears and the graphics are distorted?".. i'm still laughing :3

Yes, the Phantom and the KSR are the same basically. I envied the full auto while ads, but it got recently fixed as it was just a bug :p
    Also, you get a longer reload for no reason (1 second more than both the KSR and the Impetus).
    I also thought about the HSR-1 (our Nyx, basically) but those 1000 certs were too much to save... I still had to get the T1S Cycler, the TRAC-5 S and their attachments, so it wasn't the time for a 1k rifle that i could use only on 1 class. Maybe it could be my next purchase... I need more willpower though, i'm like a woman in a shoe shop during sales when it comes to cert saving, i spend them too soon on things i don't really need (i fully upgraded the T5 AMC for example).
    Also i quite like the higher damage as it allows for 3-shot kills even at long range, where the scout rifle requires at least 4. It's a more mid-range oriented gun.

The only thing i hate is the god-awful cone of fire. It already has sway, i don't want such a big cof: the increase is 1 per shot compared to the 0.125 of the semi-scout... 8 times! I hope they address that and give us a bit better hipfire. Without the laser sight it would still suck at it, but we could at least hit a person standing 3 meters from me.
  7. sosolidshoe

Agreed, I worry a little about the eventual revamp of the Scouts, from what Jimmy said on FNO when the question came up, I have a horrible feeling they're going to make the Nyx and equivalents even less damaging but with slightly faster RoF and reloads, rather than sorting the semi-auto snipers out with their own niche and fixing their CoF.

Frankly, I wish they'd just adopt the suggestion I've seen floating about on the forums that sway become an optic-dependent mechanic, with anything below 4x or 3.4x having no sway at all, and any scope above that -regardless of weapon- causing sway. It'd also be nice if they made sway a bit more predictable, and have each of the scopes its own unique sway pattern that a dedicated sniper could become familiar with and compensate for manually with enough practice.
  8. MrIDoK

I did not watch FNO... did you remember when did he said something about this?
    If they become even less damaging they become a joke... they should buff the damage of the auto-scouts lowering their rof, but otherwise the scouts are fine. The semi-auto snipers instead need a balancing pass

I agree with the sway. Anything higher than 3.4x should have it... Also i'd really like a weapon-specific sway, it would add a cool mechanic to master for snipers. More skill-based things are always nice!
  9. sosolidshoe

I think it was #19 during the wee Q&A session they have with the livestream chatroom, but I'm not 100% sure. Essentially, someone asked about Scout and Battle rifles, he said he wasn't happy with them, and mentioned something about how the Scouts are supposed to "feel light" but they don't, which wouldn't be my assessment(they're not nicknamed Spud Guns for nothing). They seem to want to have a hierarchy of damage going bolt > semi-auto > scout, with each tier getting some extra characteristics to make up for the lower damage, the problem is there's not really anywhere you can take the Scouts without them being beaten by the alternatives, or making them really OP.
  10. Sleepy247

I'm also a TR infi on Jaeger! :D
    two questions: Suppressor, yes or no with this wepon, or even in general? and which outfit are you in?
  11. MrIDoK

The scout rifles have versatility on their side: the laser sight is a must have for very close combat; the flash suppressor is the best general purpose barrel attachment as you are more difficult to locate but you don't lose anything; the compensator can instead be used in a dedicated mid-range build alongside a 4x optic and the grip;

This is where they should balance things, attachments. The scout rifles are like the S variant of the default rifles, slightly worse in raw stats but with a ton of attachment to compensate for that.
    Instead the sniper rifles should be more limited and less adaptable.

They should add to them the option to equip High Velocity Ammo to boost their mid-range and Soft Point Ammo for more close-range effectiveness. Other than that... i really don't know. Extended Magazine maybe?
  12. Plague Rat

As annoying as sway can be sometimes I kind of hope they DON'T get rid of it on the low zoom scopes, and that's chiefly because a scope is a matter of personal preference, and has no bearing on the weapon's operation itself. It still has the same damage and kill potential as it's high scoped cousins. And even with a low zoom scope, accuracy is just a matter of mouse sensitivity and skill. Currently I think sway is mostly a result of the weapon's damage rather than distance capability, because they break out of the standard STK threshold models making them capable of 1-2 shot kills.

More to the point, I run with the Impetus and SAS-R more than I do my Longshot and Gauss SPR to the point where if I need to shoot someone at longer range I no longer bother running back to a terminal to switch my loadout to a +6x. When I've had to I've been able to make headshots with sight options from the default iron sights to the 3.4x LACO at 150-200m with on the SAS-R. If I didn't have to hold my breath to make those... god I would exploit the crap out of that, and I know others would too, people better than me, because I'm still kind of a baddie sometimes, because at the end of the day scopes are mostly an option of preference.

Essentially what you'd have if they removed scope sway would be sniper rifle damage with scout rifle stability, and as awsome as it would be I think it would get nerfed pretty darn quick, and if they don't want to back-peddal on a 'fix' it might be something more detrimental to the weapon type as a whole.
  13. Cybah

i keep tryin to replicate this vid but damn TR and their tiny tiny heads!:p
  14. Mausmane

All I can say about this video is.

Holy, sheisse.... You have on awesome gaming machine.

I run on all low quality, and barely get 25 fps... still manage an overall 1.5 k/d average being a dedicated sniper (which is why i'm 1.5 k/d, i go through death streaks trying to break out of locked down facilities regularly... lol)

Also, how big is your monitor?
  15. Ronin Oni

TSAR has half the bolt-action animation time...

It's a huge difference.