Trac-5 Foregrip and 3.4 Scope

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Benton!, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Benton!

Hey guys,

I have been playing some TR recently, and I am looking at upgrading my Trac-5. I first bought a 3.4 scope for it, but the recoil with it is ridiculous. I do just fine with ironsights, I love the gun with ironsights, but when I use the 3.4 scope, the recoil goes all crazy and I can't hit targets even 20m away if they are moving. So I was thinking of getting the foregrip to reduce the horizontal recoil on the gun. Is this a good idea? Is the foregrip even useful, or should I get a 2x scope and not even bother with the 3.4x and foregrip?

Benton
  2. CosyPigeon

Get the fore grip, there is no reason not to have it regardless of which optic you prefer, it reduces horizontal recoil, which is ALWAYS a good thing. The Trac 5 is a carbine, it's not designed for long range, and it's pretty average even out to medium range, so a 3.4 scope is pretty pointless on it.

If you want a weapon with a bit more range for your light assault, consider using a shotgun with slug ammo, or the T5 AMC.
  3. Benton!

I have used slugs in the past, never really liked them. I understand that the carbines are not long range guns, but the 3.4 scope is great even up close because it does not actually zoom in that much. I just want to know if I should save my certs.
  4. vulkkan

From my experience, using higher magnification scopes make the recoil less controllable. I use a foregrip and 1x reflex and can engage at medium distances just fine. Think of it this way. When you're sitting closer to the center of a moving see-saw, you won't move much vertically. Now if you're sitting on the seat, 10 meters (or yards, doesn't matter) away from the center of the see-saw, you move much more vertically. The change in the angle of the see-saw is the same, but sitting farther away (like higher magnification scopes) makes the change more pronounced, whereas sitting at/close to the center (like iron sights or reflex sights) keeps the exaggeration of recoil at a minimum.
    TL;DR, don't bother with anything greater than 2x reflex or 1x reflex (my preference) on carbines. If you're usually engaging at medium distance, use a foregrip. Otherwise, lasers are better for corridor shooting inside of biolabs, the Crown, etc. The recoil difference with a foregrip is slightly more manageable but you'll have to burst to keep on target at range.
    If you need a comparison: Trac-5 overall is a bit worse than a T1 Cycler at range, but better at CQC by a bit.
  5. Lucidius134

I really like the 3.4x scopes for that
  6. Wolfwood82

I agree, the problem is your scope not really your foregrip. x2 does the job well enough. I wouldn't bother with the foregrip and instead invest in laser sight or compressor to help reduce your upward recoil. Probably laser sight would be your best bet to improve your CQC a bit, getting both is a little counter productive (compressor decreases your hipfire effectiveness by increasing the CoF, which the laser sight doesn't improve much on).

Really the Trac-5 isn't worth improving on much. Figure out where your best range is and buy a gun/improvements specifically for that range. If you are a CQC person, get a Jaguar and save up for adv. laser sights or auto shotgun with extended mag and IR/NV. If you favor range then semi-auto shotgun with slug ammo, IR/NV, and possibly a laser sight for CQC backup, or the T5 AMC with compressor and adv. foregrip.
  7. Talizzar

Stop using the Trac 5. The Jag is a beast in close and the Lynx is probably better all around.
  8. haniblecter

They're both **** guns with crazy rof and no recoil, so cheese however you want.
  9. Iridar51

at point blank range there's no difference whatsoever between jag and trac 5.
  10. Lokas

This is false.

The Jaguar has a much tighter cone of fire than the TRAC-5 in all of the areas that matter for CQC, plus can take an advanced laser sight to further tighten up that cone. This makes it a much more effective close range weapon as you can hit more shots while bouncing and strafing around like an LA should in CQC.

Plus, the Jaguar has that oh so delicious .75 ADS movement multiplier, making you more mobile even when you're going for precision shots.

To the OP;

In my experience, unless you're specifically playing with a sniping carbine, there's no point in putting a scope with higher zoom than 2x on it. However, foregrip is never an awful idea, but I'd suggest a laser sight over it, especially considering the TRAC-5 is an unbalanced recoil gun which means it pulls harshly to the right when fired. This makes the benefits of the foregrip less noticeable.
  11. Iridar51

It is amazing how people can participate in written discussions before learning to read.
    At POINT BLANK range (you have your carbine's barrel inside enemy's mouth) only stat that matters is DPS, which is defined by damage-per-bullet and rate of fire stats, which are equal between TRAC 5 and Jaguar.
    That's all I'm saying, so don't go all spreadsheet on me.

Look I know where this is goind and I know I'm wrong, so let's all pretend I never wrote anything, k thx?
  12. Talizzar

and how many times does this happen? Just look at the hip fire markers and you will understand why the Lynx and Jag are superior.

What is it three shots to the face with any gun and you are dead save the HA that could turn a shield on?
  13. Iridar51

For the love of...
    Please find and quote wherever on the earth I said Lynx or Jag are not superior.
  14. Lokas

You're really going to get that defensive about a simple comment like mine?
  15. Iridar51

It appears so, though I regret starting to post at all in this useless thread.
    I just don't like when people think I'm an idiot, that's all.
  16. Lokas

The only reason I'd think you a fool is because of your ridiculous overreaction. Note that I did not insult you, or make any comment towards your character until now. The only thing I refuted was your statement which was, and still is, false and based on a misunderstanding of what the term 'point blank range' means. If you mean the gun being in someone's mouth, you mean a contact shot, not point blank range.

And you're only making this worse by continuing to continuing to be snide about how 'useless' this thread is. If you really think it's useless, don't respond. You are by no means obligated to click the reply button to this post, and considering your track record thus far, I'd probably think better of you if you did not.
  17. Iridar51

Nah, let's go flame and holy war and sort this out.
    This is a thread made by a guy who doesn't know how to do research and who's an undecisive **** at that, because he's too afraid to check things for himself.
    Neverminding that, comes a random guy and says that "jag is a beast up close".
    I correct him, stating there are no dps differences between jag and trac 5, if you don't count the accuracy or recoil, which doesn't matter at point blank range.
    Wikipedia quote: "In forensics and popular usage, point-blank range has come to mean extremely close range (i.e., target within about a meter (3 ft) of the muzzle at moment of discharge but not close enough to be an actual contact shot)"
    "In enemy's mouth" was a hyperbole on my port, I agree, but that's irrelevant, accuracy still isn't worth anything at that range.
    Note that I didn't make a statement that I think Jaguar is worse or anything, I just pointed out that they do same damage.
    Then you come and unleash the spreadsheet on me, assuming I don't already know all that stuff. I'd say that's pretty close to saying I'm an idiot.
    Try to get out of this one.
  18. NoctD

I'll just give fair warning that buying the Jaguar is a terrible mistake in my own experience, much prefer the Lynx with its faster ROF.

I've used 3.4x scopes on our carbines but its a waste of time... the 2x reflex is my personal favorite but its not available on some carbines. If one is not planning on spending on the game and don't have certs to waste, I'd go with 2x reflex/laser sight on a TRAC-5. The laser can come later, the 2x reflex is a perfect upgrade from the iron sights. Though I guess some folks prefer the 1x.
  19. Wolfwood82

In my personal experience Iridar, you tend to look more like an idiot when you don't want others to think of you as one. I say this because it was a failing of mine (and still is to a degree). Pay more attention to what you and others say, less attention on that impossible-to-perceive-meter that show's what others think of you.

And remember, vanity is just the false reasoning that someone has an opinion about you that matters. :D

P.S: I have far more respect for you then gunshooter. If that matters great! if not... I don't care, I still do.
  20. Iridar51

Just waging a little war, proving to myself that I'm worth something. Pathetic, really.