[TR] Is there a reason to use any AR besides the Cycler TRV?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by ashleyapb, Jan 10, 2013.

1. xpsyclosarinx

This is very true, the ADV Laser is amazingly good. I usually hate hipfiring but when you take into account that you'll probably have an engi filling you up with ammo in most fights that you'd be using these in you don't need to worry about conserving ammo so you can just shred people with tight hipfire. :)
  2. Krona

In a bio lab, aka the only infantry fight in the game? No, the TRV is in my opinion, the best gun in the game.

845rpm on a 40 round mag AR? Delicious.
  3. }{ellKnight

I have Adv. Laser on my TRV but weirdly enough I still ADS with it most of the time (aim for the head + fire rate + accuracy bonus from ADS-ing and you can kill the guy insanely fast). I hate it that they nerfed the hipfire accuracy on it by about 20% (it what it feels like to me) when they introduced the TAR. But then again it's still a beast in close range.

2x scope and SPA on it and I can still kill people at long range if they don't run to cover by burst-firing it. It's a great gun.
  4. ashleyapb

I also ADS the vast majority of the time, so one day I tried running it with foregrip instead. The reduced jitter in accuracy was definitely noticeable at longer ranges but I still had to burst/tap and TTK wasn't significantly affected; however, I found that while the kills I got weren't signifigantly faster than normal, I died much more frequently in close quarters with the loss of the laser. I've never had a moment where I thought that having a foregrip would've saved me in a death or gotten me a kill I missed, but without the laser I miss having it much too often to warrant not using it. In my opinion it's pretty much essential on the TRV.
  5. alecholman

You're first sentence confuses me, but AFAIK, the TAR is supposed to be more accurate than the TRV while giving up some DPS? I'm not sure though, you'll have to check the spreadsheets.

The SABR-13 is also excellent as someone else has stated. It really depends on your preferences.
  6. MrIDoK

The SABR was my only love during beta. When we had Auraxium as a resource (it was used for buying weapons) it was my first purchase, it was a lot cheaper compared to today's 1k certs. I even got to put a granade launcher on it, it was the ultimate weapon for my playstyle. But not anymore, now i'd have to dish out 1k certs or 7$ to get it and i won't be able to mount a granade launcher... It's unfortunate, really.

Right now i LOVE my T1B with laser sight, flash suppressor and 2x reflex. Works great at mid range and acts like a Repeater on steroids at cqc range. At long range i just take potshots and hope the enemy is dumb enough to stay still and try to fire back.
    • Up x 1
  7. Bearcat

How crappy is the TRV at longer ranges?

Right now, I have a T1S with UBGL, and it is an excellent general purpose weapon. I want to cert out a second weapon to specialize in either long range (NS-11A) or short range (TRV w/ adv laser). I'll inevitably run into situations that are opposite of my gun's specialization, and I have read reports that the NS-11A is horrible in CQC, but I don't see much reports stating how bad the TRV is at long range.
  8. ashleyapb

Yes, it is more accurate on paper. It simply didn't feel "right" the way the TRV does for me.
    It's designed for close-/mid-range engagements, and its effectiveness at "longer" ranges depends on your definition of long. You can full-auto it without worry at pretty much any range you'll find targets at in a Bio Lab or a small outpost base, but when you get out into the open you might have to burst to be effective as the cone of fire blooms out pretty quickly and semi-auto is unreliable on anything that's not standing still.

Objectively, it's inferior to most other assault rifles at "longer" ranges, but subjectively I have absolutely no worries about being ineffective with it no matter where I take it (within reason).
  9. Bearcat

That sells it then. Thank you!

I was heavily leaning towards the NS-11A since I prefer to stay behind my squad mates and fire at longer ranged targets when I wasn't healing/reviving. After reading your posts, I realized that while I prefer long range, most of my encounters in game were at closer ranges where the NS-11A is horrible. Since the TRV is still OK at "longer" ranges, I think I'll go that way so I have a bigger advantage in those more important close-range combats. I have enough certs for adv. laser and x1 reflex.
  10. ashleyapb

Yep. I have ~2,500 kills with it (out of 5,000) and I absolutely adore it.
  11. Bearcat

Thanks again for the advice! I went TRV with x1 reflex and Adv. Laser and I'm really liking it so far.

Have you tried the Flash Suppressor (or even the suppressor) on it? I almost picked up the Flash Suppressor, but noticed it wasn't on your setup.
  12. ashleyapb

I'm not sure to what extent the flash suppressor affects weapon bloom, but the TRV already blooms out pretty quickly and I don't want to hurt that any more than absolutely necessary. I've heard the effect is negligible, but every bit counts.

I used to use the suppressor for a while until I tried the gun without it one day and the ease at which I killed enemies skyrocketed, so I don't look back. Up until a little while ago I had another loadout for being sneaky spec-ops ninja with a suppressor on it but even that's gone now, since I find that having scout radar on a Flash when capping side bases with a small group is infinitely more useful and doesn't hurt your combat effectiveness.
  13. }{ellKnight

I had the sound suppressor for my TRV. It's nice for night attacks and killing people withotut giving away your position. But it slows down bullet speed and since I'm using SPA as well it makes longer range fights a serious issue.
  14. Gypsycream

It depends on your playstyle, of course.
    Personally, I like to stay at the back of the fight, to reduce the chances I get killed myself, so I'm left alive to heal/revive people. I find the SABR-13 to be a complete beast at mid-long range, so I use that.
  15. Maleficus04

For all CQC situations, I use the TRV. In situations where I know there will be lots of close-to-mid ranged fighting, I also go with the TRV. For medium-to-long range, or just pure sniping range, I stick to my T1S. It's variety of sights (including the only 6x scope we can get) and attachments make it very viable in just about any situation. The TRV just has better CQC stats. So, it's just a matter of playstyle and what you want from your weapon. Personally, I'd say the T1S is the best "all-range gun," and only because I, personally, like to have the ability to accurately fire from all ranges and the option to use various types of mods all within one gun. But again, it's all up to preference.
  16. Koadster

I like the NS11 and SABR13 aswell.. but my goto guns are the NS11 for longer distance and TRV for biolabs or indoor fighting
  17. MrIDoK

I got the TRV just because of this thread and became my biolab weapon of choice. For now i've got 1x reflex and the laser sight, but as soon as i take the advanced laser sight i'm going to switch to a 2x reflex to handle better mid-range fighting while being goot at ADSing at not-too-close range.
    Its only downside is, ironically, its rof: eats through you ammo VERY fast, but an engi solves the problem. Simply put: best value/cost ratio of all TR weapons.