[TR] Is there a reason to use any AR besides the Cycler TRV?

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by ashleyapb, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ashleyapb

I've gotten the Auraxian medal a long time ago with the TRV, and it was the first and only AR I've used on Medic since the first day I played this game (I have ~5 kills with the default and 0 with the rest, except the NS-11A which has a few hundred).

Besides the NS-11A, which is a largely situational weapon that I pull out from time to time, none of the other weapons look like they can even come close to competing with the TRV based purely on stats alone. The underbarrel on the T1S doesn't seem like it's worth a direct nerf on your actual rifle's lethality, the SABR-13 feels outclassed by the NS-11A, the NS-11A itself lacks in TTK, etc.

The TAR looks like the only other rifle that can compete with the TRV, but it doesn't look like enough of a difference either positively or negatively to be worth buying a whole new weapon and spending certs on attachments for something that is almost the same weapon.

What weapons does everyone else use, and for what reason?
  2. Remonew

Out of all the ARs I trialed, I personally like the T1S cycler the most.

I like the forced burst fire as I tend to be more accurate with it, but enjoy the option to go full auto should accuracy go out the window (something that irked me about the SARB13). The underslung GL is buggy, but a handy tool for support as it can soften up maxes & enemy infantry, or outright kill them. In short, I use it in a mid-long range support role when i'm following up my outfit mates, healing rezzing, and so on.

Normally I play aggressively, so my primary is the nighthawk shotgun. I love the flanking, in your face nature of shotguns, and it feels right at home. Should the fight become a long range slugfest, I either watch for enemy flankers or grab my toolgun and go heal/rezbot.

The TRV just felt like an AR that wanted to be a shotgun. It didn't really impress me. Shotgun worked better for aggressive flanking, while the T1S was a better support. I couldn't find a niche for it, but it isn't a terrible weapon
  3. Hoki

How is the NS-11A largely situational? Its my favorite gun in the game.
  4. HerpTheDerp

Well, based on stats alone TS-11A kicks Cycler TRV's *** in everything but pure DPS.

I will agree that TRV is a very good gun, but the 0.5 movement speed multiplier is a deal-breaker to me.
  5. FoolArcana

I have Auraxium medals for both the default T1 Cycler and the Cycler TRV, and I still use both extensively. They account for roughly 75% of my total kills in the game, as I spend most of my time as infantry. They are largely similar rifles with great accuracy, damage, and rate of fire. Their only differences are the accuracy at range and the obvious rate of fire.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with the T1 Cycler. Granted, it doesn't have that many customization options, but I haven't found the need for them. Accuracy at medium-long range is a very, very noticeable difference from the TRV. I can hit targets farther away with larger bursts, and expending less bullets overall than the TRV at the same range. For the TRV and the longer range shots, I'm forced to make many small bursts to bring down a target. Despite the T1's longer range accuracy, it still retains a very respectable rate of for the CQB situations. I found the T1 Cycler to be similar enough to the NS11 that I haven't bothered with the NS11 after its trial.

The TRV is an absolute beast in anything from short to medium range. I have mine certed with an advanced laser sight and a 2x red dot. ADS for the shots longer than 15 yards away, and hipfire for anything closer. In close quarters, the adv. laser sight lets me dance around and shred enemies at the same time.

I love using both rifles. Both have their uses and are just different enough that I will bring a different rifle based on the situation to give me that extra edge in the battle.
  6. Kociboss

Ashley, which attatchements do you use?
  7. BanjoBrain

I use TAR, and while I was considering the TRV, the increase in accuracy on TAR sold it to me. Reload speed is not a trait I value over accuracy, because accuracy can be further enhanced with attachments. With that, TAR becomes a rifle that can pretty much be effective at all ranges, including long ranges as well. With DMO 3.4 and a fore-grip its quite a balanced weapon.

Softpoin for TAR is a little self defeating as it cancels that "all around" feel. I wouldn't mind if it was replaced by a under-barrel GL which would further increase TAR's utility, but I guess it would be called "OP" then.
  8. ashleyapb

I use the 1x optic and the advanced laser; no barrel or ammo mods. I have no complaints with the rifle, but using a weapon past its Auraxian medal means losing out on a lot of certs, so I've been looking into some replacements; however, I don't want to trash my combat efficiency either, so there's a problem there for me as I consider the TRV to be the premier AR.

I might try out the TAR based on what I've read. The ROF difference is comparable to that of the Lynx/Jaguar which I found insignificant in exchange for better handling, but in that sense the TAR doesn't offer as large of an incentive over the TRV as the TRV is very easily manageable.
  9. Private Public

I like the SABR-13 very much for mid-long range engagements with a 6x scope firing semi-auto. The accuracy makes it brilliant for popping people in the head when they're standing still, which is pretty much all the time at that range. Sure it takes 4 headshots to kill from full health+shield but the relatively high ROF (for a long range weapon) and no need to compensate for swaying unlike the Infiltrator's rifles makes it easy to let loose 4 in a row on a target who doesn't expect it. Because of that it's especially useful against those pesky Cloakers who like to sit there and let me shoot them while they try to line up their headshot, holding their breath etc, and for an added bonus, when you hit them it throws their aim off reducing the risk that they'll hit you and yet they often don't pull behind cover. Though personally I find it absolutely useless for anything other than mid-long range. That's why I primarily use the TRV because I find the close to mid range firepower just suits me most of the time in most situations, but it's mostly the sound, I love the sound, kinda like a PPSh-41, ohhhhhhh that souuunddd... :oops:
  10. }{ellKnight

TRV is a beast in close range but I find myself being more deadly at longer ranges with my T1S. I have the TRV fitted for close range and the T1S for long range.

Off-topic
    You play/played APB? Your name sounds familiar. Did you play on Patriot?
  11. SupaFlea

I don't use medic a lot as I'm LA primarily but the TAR is my preferred weapon. I even like it more than the NS11 and I've unlocked most needed attachments for both. TAR feels extremely lethal in close quarters, not that great for mid to long range but you want to be close to your troops anyhow.
  12. ashleyapb

I'm a forum moderator and play on Joker (NA_EAST).

I trialed the TAR and was surprised to find that it grew on me pretty rapidly, so I decided to purchase it and use it a little more extensively. After around a day of usage I've come to the conclusion that it's a good sidegrade to the TRV with a very noticeable lack of raw killing power, but highly increased mobility. I didn't notice any real differences in accuracy between the two, but increased ADS movement speed and its carbine-like initial hip bloom made it arguably more effective in close range despite its TTK disadvantage.

The times it just barely scrapes by in mid-range when the TRV would have dispatched the enemy with ease prevent it from being something that I'd use primarily, but by the time I grind out to the Auraxian medal that might change. It's a pretty good rifle.
  13. }{ellKnight

Ah yes, now I remember you.
  14. Shockfrosted

I love my NS-11a.
    With laser sight, HVA, 2x Reflex and a compensator it works for all situations, apart from sniping.
    The versatility gained from its excellent hipfire accuracy, it's mild bloom and manageable recoil all ensure a good performance in any situation.
    Lots of medic friends I've talked to, actually prefer having an underbarrel grenade launcher. Personally, I have one on my engineer and I'm not terribly impressed by its effectiveness.

Having said all that: If you're happy with the weapon you have, clearly it's the best weapon for you. There'll be folks telling you "[Gun] is objectively better!" but they're easy to ignore.
  15. Paulus

Adore the TRV, although i only started using it after i got Auraxium level medal on my standard T1. The stopping power (i spec'd soft point ammo) coupled with the higher rate of fire meant i felt a bit more able to hold my own. Personaly, i don't go into the field without my TRV now as medic.
  16. Kociboss

Call me crazy but I prefer my TRV with f-grip...
  17. alecholman

the TRV is purely a gun for CQC. It's DPS and velocity is what makes it a good weapon; however, there are weapons that I would use without even looking at the TRV in other situations.
  18. ashleyapb

Such as?

I've been using the TAR lately but I find it to be lacking and often find myself wishing I had the TAR equipped instead. The slight differences are noticeable enough and the TRV is still my go-to weapon for pretty much every situation. I've been trialing the other weapons as often as I can and besides the NS-11A I haven't used any of them past a dozen or so kills.
  19. Kociboss

Without f-grip, TRV shakes violently, which decreases it's potential at longer distances.
  20. ashleyapb

It's not designed as a longer distance weapon anyways. The Advanced Laser is what really defines the TRV/TAR and by not using it you miss out on a lot of its potential.
    • Up x 1