TR 10 - 20 Meter Gun for Engineer

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by MajorJBird, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MajorJBird

Hey All! I am the first to admit, I am quite possibly the WORST infantry this game has ever seen... seriously. Lucky for me I love TANKS!! So I spend most of my time in either a Prowler or Lightning. But I am often repairing generators and helping lock down various points, or repairing my tank. When I do so I usually roll with my Shotgun because my aim is not the best in the world. I have a level 41 VS I started on, and now I am at level 33 on my TR on a different sever, and am playing TR permanently now. So I do have some game time experience, I just really struggle as an infantry, so here is the question after giving my background.

I die most of the time in the 10-20 meter range, even with my Jaguar with advanced laser sight. Would I be better off with one of the SMG's? Maybe with softpoint ammo? I am getting VERY frustrated with the game because of this. Today I died multiple times getting near generator rooms because I was shooting into the rooms trying to keep people from either overloading or stabilizing the generators, and the person I was shooting just turns and BAM!! a couple shots I am dead. Of which after standing outside a generator room from where I died the last 5 times was nearly exactly 20 meters from the generator, that is why I mentioned the distance in the title.

Should I go straight ADS and use a foregrip and compensator? Should I just straight up hip fire at this distance? I am flipping clueless right now with this, and it has me perplexed.

Currently I have been experimenting with:

Trac 5 - S with Grenade launcher, flash supressor and 2x reflex
    Armistice with Supressor
    Hellstorm
    Jaguar with Adv Laser, and 3.4 red dot sight
    Nighthawk auto shotgun
    FA1 Barrage
    I will also buy any other gun in hopes of getting better as I really need to improve my game in this area!

I am up for any recommendations, on ADS, Hipfire, guns, or attachments. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
  2. Takoita

Well, you've got engineer arsenal pretty much covered - the only thing that is lacking is the battle rifle. And it ain't that great in the situations you describe.

Maybe you could try checking some things on the techical side? Squeeze out some more FPS, some less latency, double-check your mouse settings - things like that.

Because, unless you get facerolled by cheaters on a regular basis, you should get at least some results with those guns and should be getting slowly better with time. The weapon selection you've listed is pretty much everything you can choose as an engineer and at least one of those should've 'clicked' with you by now.

Out of the things you can get in-game to sweeten your chances there is only Nanoweave that raises your hp bar a little bit and gives you a tiny edge in cqc shoot-outs.

If things are still not looking up, there are always mines to screw the bad guys over with; maybe try out some weapons of a different class in action. The beauty of this game is that you aren't stuck with one class for ever and ever. Most of the very same guns are unlocked to LA also, maybe its mobility will allow you to get more out of them? And even if not and you find yourself playing better with some other class, your shelved engie guns can always get stat adjustment by the devs out of the blue.

Chin up, soldier! Don't despair and try out new things!
  3. MajorJBird

What is the opinion about using an SMG with softpoint ammo? What I am looking for is something that will kill quickly (that is infantry n00b friendly) in this range and still be great in CQC. Today I died constantly in 1v1's around Cap points and Generators with and without my shotgun in these ranges. When I had the shotgun I would try to close the gap and then I would get killed by the time I was in effective shotgun range. I died everytime I used the Jaguar, I literally was 0 for 10 today in fights with my jaguar. Maybe I need to practice going for headshots ADS because everytime I died was to someone bunny hopping and still killing me. This is where I hope an SMG with advanced laser would help because I feel it would give me a split second edge to using hipfire and not having to ADS at this range. What do you guys think?

I did check out my settings and such, and made some mouse adjustments as I know my twitch reflexes are horrid, because I am a life long MMO player and not an FPS player, this is my first FPS and am learning still, thus the reason I am looking for a n00b friendly gun to help me learn with, that will get a little more distance than a shotgun.

Thanks for any help, and it is greatly appreciated!
  4. Yautja

This game is 80% muscle memory and 20% critical thinking. Until you get the muscle memory part figured out it's going to be rough.
  5. Vertabrae

I started using the Hailstorm recently. To me it's a good gun. It's not quite as good as a shotgun at close rangle, and as good as a carbine at medium. But does pretty well in both. To me that is exactly what it should be doing. I'm liking it.
  6. blzbug

Another vote for the Hailstorm in your situation (I do like your name Hellstorm better :) )
    ALS lets you hipfire with good accuracy. The 60 round mag lets you spray and pray. You can also burst it and do ok out to 50m or so. For the sight, use the NV scope. I find it to be a big help because it lets you see and focus much better on your target. Once you get into the 1-1 shootout, your need for situational awareness drops to 0. It is either kill or be killed in under 2 seconds. NV lets you focus in on the target and ignore all the other stuff vying for your attention.

Since you won't have a silencer attached, you could use soft point.

The Trac5-S is fun, but at the ranges you work, it can be tricky. From farther back, the grenade launcher would give you a nice little boom as you're approaching a gen hut. But if you get too close, the grenade will dud. Either way, you still have the hassle of switching to bullets, which can still be buggy on the -S weapons. You might be better off focusing on getting good with the SMG.

How is your ping? I use 4G wireless out in the country, so my ping sux. Typically 150ms. I am in exactly the same boat as you. I can get the drop on somebody from behind and start plugging away with the carbine, but they simply turn and I'm dead almost as soon as they look at me. I am total schit at engagements longer than 50 meters. SMGs were a big bonus for me. High alpha damage out to the range where I am useful. Useless beyond 50m, but I was useless past there anyway. I have the aurax on my Jaguar, but I rarely pick it up anymore. If I play at my office with 30ms ping, suddenly I can use a carbine at medium range and be effective. Unfortunately, I don't typically play planetside at work :D

For an engy, you might even run the Armistice. The smaller ammo pool is no problem for engy, and the higher ROF lets you get your damage in faster. I prefer it to the Hailstorm, but I just can't give up 60/240 on my LA or inf.

You may spot this, but here is a nice video on burst fire. Also check out his aiming video, which is linked in the burst fire video.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/video-the-importance-of-burst-fire.93048/
  7. MorganM

I love the TRAC-5. I'd say get the TRAC-5 S and throw some attachments on it just make it better. It's great up close. I put on the 2x reflex sight for close to medium (like looking across from cover to a generator or across a vehicle bay). The vertical is easy to compensate. The horizontal recoil is predictable. Rate of fire is just right so the recoil doesn't add up fast (like the T9 CARV) and you don't blow through your magazine too fast. Cross hairs are great for hip-fire.

Only one I'd be tempted to try is the SMG-46 Armistice. What catches my attention is the low recoil and high RoF.

Shotgun? I doubt I'd be any good. Sure it does a lot of damage but you have to hit the target. I'm just not that good. I rely on a decent RoF to dial in my shot on a target and hopefully land enough to kill them before reload or death. I use the bullet impacts to tell me if I need to lead more or less; for example.
  8. blzbug

Update to my earlier post. I brought my laptop into work today to d/l the update. Played for an hour or so. I felt like those runners who have sandbags on their ankles then take them off for the race. I was a freaking MONSTER! SMG, Trac5-S, shotgun. Didn't matter. I was mowing the absolute ***** out of people! Its really gonna suck when I get back on at home tonight :( I kinda wish I didn't play at work today. Now I know what I'm missing.

tl;dr Ping matters!
  9. MajorJBird

Thanks for the replies and advice. I am glad the videos were attached as I watched them and when I get time tomorrow I am going to check out my setting and see where I am, and what I need to do. I am trying to decide which SMG to put the advanced laser on and give it a whirl. Being and engineer think the armistice would be the best? Today I got the pump shotgun and wrecked face around generators and such as it was an instagib most of the time however, it was still just close range, not anything out of 5 meters.

Also I am thinking of making a carbine to try out medium to long and so on also like the video was showing. Should I go with the Jaguar and just test it out? Or should I go with the T5 AMC and put the advanced forward and compensator on it with the NV scope? Maybe this would help me with ADS, but I am not sure, right now my biggest issue is killing the bunny hopping headshotters out there that our server is crawling with, everyone bunnyhops or sprays and prays and their prayers are answered faster than mine.

Any help is appreciated and the comments have been great!! Keep them coming!!
  10. M4L4CH1TE

You can also try not being "there." Don't stand still. Ever. Anti-infantry mines are quick and your friends. Drop them and run or use them to cover a door and stand across the room. Circle round when you hear the boom.
  11. MorganM

To me it sounds like you are sitting on a pile of certs or SC otherwise you wouldn't be talking about buying expensive guns just to try them out. If that's the case then buy some stuff, test it out, and have fun. I'm not making a judgement call here; just an observation based on your posts. So if it's true then my frugal advice on the TRAC-5 or S isn't really important.

If you have no SC and the only certs you get are through game play then you want to be more prudent with your expenditures. In this scenario just upgrade the default TRAC-5 or buy the TRAC-5 S and upgrade that. It really is a great gun; especially close quarters and just into medium range. The magazine size is just right. Honestly a lot of people say this gun is OP... especially for a standard issue gun.
  12. Wodan

• Up x 1
  13. AnotherNoob

Agree, for the range he described I think the lynx is best, it has the highest dps afaik of the engineer weapons, and at <20m the recoil is rather manageable.

As for the ads or hip fire, since we are tr and got some ammo to spare, I tend to start hip firing as soon as I see the enemy, and then while shooting, moving to ads, don't know if this is the best way to do it though ;P
  14. MajorJBird

Wow thanks for ideas! I have the jaguar with advanced laser and NV scope, been doing ok with it, it is an adjustment, but with the influx of shotguns I can kill them from across the room before they get to me. I have adv. laser and NV scope on smg's, I have not really used them yet as I am adjusting to the jaguar still. One issue I have is that I like grenade launcher in a lot of situations, and have the S decked out with GL, NV scope and flash suppressor, and I do ok with it, but in a quick draw situation in the ranges I am talking about I get beat every time with it.

Thus far the Jaguar with NV and adv. laser has been pretty good. I have the lynx, but no sights or anything, I may test the lynx out, we can revert soon and I may go ahead and fix it up.

Would the silencer and soft point slow velocity down too much on the lynx? I don't know the impact of soft point on a gun with a suppressor and was wondering the consensus.
  15. MajorJBird

I can't edit my last post, was doing it from my phone and made a mistake. One part I wanted to add is that I have both SMG's fized up the same way, and where I said "revert" I meant revert.

BUT, I also wanted to add something else, I know this is a 10-20 meter gun question I have, but I realized today that three of my favorite ambush spots are around 40 meters distance from generators in Amp stations. I got in my spot this evening and looked at the room and seen the generator was 41 meters from me where it would either be repaired overloaded and then I ambush, so I went to the other amp stations and check my other spots AND my ambush spots on various other areas and those are around 40-50 meters also.

Out of the guns we have available to us are there any that I could use as an all arounder that would keep me alive in the 10-20 meter range and still be effective in the 40-50 for my ambushes?

Also one of the points mentioned about starting in hip fire and then going ADS is something I am going to try, right now I am slow to go ADS and try to do so before hip firing, or just hipfire all together, this may be a weak point I have.

And WOW the link that shows the DPS from each weapon and the drop offs I think may have answered my question, but what do you guys think about COF and Recoil on the Lynx in the 40-50 meters?

Thanks again for the help from all of you I have been improving daily thanks to you guys!
  16. P149U3

jaguar should not have a 3.4 scope on it....Its a CQC weapon if anything just a 1x red dot
  17. AnotherNoob

The jaguar is the most all round weapon you can have for engineer/light assault in my opinion, and it works both for cqc and the 40m range you talked about. You should probably use either the 1x red dot or the night vision scope on. It is the one that I use the most, and one of the few weapons I have auraxium medal in :)
  18. Crewell

At the range the OP states, use a shotgun with extended mag. I personally use a Haymaker on my TR char, but any shotgun will work well.
  19. VKhaun

+1 for SMG.

You're probably not that bad, you just have a tendency to move around a lot when you panic, and that makes hip fire atrocious for carbines. Get the SMG with the bigger magazine, put an advanced red dot and HSNV on it, Softpoint, and the barrel option you like the look of, or none. As long as you don't jump, it'll hit what you point it at every time and give you plenty of margin for error with missing.
  20. Ronin Oni

Get the silencer for barrel option.

Shotguns are also decent... better under 10m, worse at 10-20 than SMG