to Lash or not to Lash

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Plunutsud pls, Jul 9, 2014.

1. -Synapse-

Whenever I see a Lasher user, I target them first. It's not that they're all that dangerous, it's just really fun to duck and weave through the oncoming orbs once they start shooting at me. It's like playing dodgeball, but with slowly moving plasma orbs instead of balls.

In other words, the Lasher is really fun for the people you're using it against, but pretty crappy in most situations for the actual user.
    • Up x 1
  2. Ronin Oni

In groups of 3-5 it's jaw dropping intimidating on the receiving end.

Individually, it's mildly effective suppression. You still want to be near teammates when you use it at all times. You'll lose any and all direct 1v1's

It's good damage on MAXes though, and their slow big bodies are easy to hit even with slow orbs.

It's a teamwork weapon. Period. It sucks for personal K/D whoring. Will land you gobs and gobs of assists though, enough to even out your XP gain easily.
  3. sindz

You are 100% wrong.
    • Up x 1
  4. Ronin Oni

No he's not. Lasher is amazing in teams and the Corvus is awesome (or at least, the best VS AR for mid to long range IMO)
  5. sindz

No its not.

It was great in PS1 due to alot of chokepoints and actually being able to supress certain areas. In PS2 you have teleports, elevators, mostly open areas where there will be 3-5 different routes to access you etc. And the damage is too low, both on splash and direct hit. No decent player will ever sit in continuously splash damage while being afk. Furthermore for the supression effect to actually work you need more users of the lasher at the same time. Alone its horrible bad and almost completely useless. The DPS is so low you will lose to every single weapon in the game straight up and whenever you have to relocate from not standing still like a player with his pants on his head, you will often die due to running into anyone. LA and infil dominate you if they chose to and you can't do a single thing about it.

TL:DR: Dmg is too low, doesnt work in PS2 due to base designs and zero chokepoints in the game and pointless to use as a solo player.

I have no issues with people saying the gun is fun and unique, but don't tell asking people its great cause its not, and thats a fact. Both statwise and gameplay wise.

Edit: Won't go into details about corvus since i wont derail this thread. But the fact that the gun has the longest TTK out of any guns currently ingame says it all.
    • Up x 1
  6. Ronin Oni

You lose 1v1's with the Lasher, that doesn't make it bad or useless.

Individually, the suppression effect isn't as strong, in small groups of only 2-3 they're far far more effective. There are lots of chokes in this game. Can you stop an entire zerg with 5 on a doorway? No, thank god there are flank routes. You CAN lock down a major route with only 2-3 of them though and a few regular weapon troops far better than if those 2-3 Lashers were just more std guns.

They're also effective against MAXes. Not enough to take them for that fact, but it's a benefit of use when you have one out in field.

PPA and Lasher are 2 ES traits of VS that are by far the most annoying to fight against as the other factions infantry. This is an irrefutable fact. They wont rake in kills for the users (though they'll get TONS of assists) but they ARE an amazing teamplay weapon providing a function unavailable to the other factions.

Lots of people dislike them for their direct combat weakness. That's not their point though.

As for Corvus, TTK at mid-long range is not as simple as RoF * DMG because accuracy matters. It may not be the SABR, but it's still a great weapon for longer range engagements when TTK calculations go out the bloody window.
    • Up x 1
  7. Plunutsud pls

So I take it the Lasher is pretty much a handheld PPA.

150 rounds with ext mags looks like fun.
  8. Ronin Oni

handheld weak PPA, but yeah.

And yes, only use with Ext Mag. Laser and foregrip are pointless.

And if you're a solo player it's a total pass weapon. It's only use is in teamplay.
  9. sindz

All of which I also said. how can you defend a gun that is completely useless as a solo player while other faction ES weapons can be used both solo and in team. As every gun in this game is greatly better when used coordinated with others. I have no idea why supposedly VS players keep sticking up for weapons that simply doesn't work in an FPS game. "If condition: a, b, c and d are met, this gun is halfway decent". I don't understand this at all. And even when used with multiple players its not mindboggling good, as a gun should be when the requirement is atleast 3-5 people using it.

Don't get me wrong, it _can_ be good and usefull but the actual times where it is, are way way way way too few and too far apart.
  10. Codex561

Well I know 3 very good aspects of it, it is a great anti-infiltrator gun since it needs one shot less to kill them.
    It is great against maxes
    You dont really need to aim.
  11. AnnArborBuck

There aren't many spots in that video where he wouldn't have been better of with the Orion or SVA-88. The fact that he relied so heavily on his secondary shows how situational it is.

I have all three special heavy weapons, and while the lasher can be fun, it is by far the worst of the three. MCG with the quick spin up is awesome, and Jackhammer is a beast as well.

12. Champagon

Lasher, ALL DAY

ERRRYDAY

especially in biolabs
  13. Prudentia

If you got the Flaregun last Weekend and have a Lancer, you can't go wrong with the lasher.
    all 3 in a single loadout will have your enemies head explode... due to epilepsy, not because they did any damage.
    My Loadout is:
    Techcamo
    Lasher with Techcamo
    Flaregun with Night Shade
    Lancer with Halftone
    LSD Grenades
    Flakarmor
    Nanite Rave generator
    • Up x 1
  14. zombielores

All the other ES weapons do is add another gun to the table, the lasher actually adds a suppression weapon that no other empire has, give me a squad of lashers and I can hold any choke point you want (there are many I.E. tech plant doors, biolabs, sub-t , practically any door way, tower entrances, those fan shaped banana shaped buildings with the catwalks, 100% of Esamir walled bases, amerish bases with rock wall surrounding. Get creative and look for lanes or attack where it funnels them.)

If you want another gun that kills then you have what 16? other weapons to kill with, you want a jackhammer, then use the 6 other shotguns you got, you can't have the best of both words so unless you want to be lacking a true cqc lmg (NC) or lack longer ranged lmg (TR) quite complain.

TL:DR you want something to kill, then use the other weapons you have instead of trying to make the lasher into one while keeping it's suppression ability.
  15. sindz

Thats the issue and what i already wrote. Lasher needs buffs in order to be usable. Im well aware of what its supposed to do, I've played PS1. But it doesnt do it in PS2, not even close. In current states its next to useless.
  16. IamDH

Don't... just don't.

Lets see how much "fun" you have when you can't kill anyone because you're too busy "suppressing"
    • Up x 2
  17. zombielores

It does it just fine, the only buffs might be muzzle velocity by slight bit, reduce CoF, or give it's RoF a slight buff or anything else might cause it to be OP or not big enough of a difference to matter.
  18. zombielores

Adding a special experience system for suppression could work for the lasher but there could a lot of exploits for that (think BF type supression).

Also the friendlies running in front of you fire is not a con guys, it's just people lacking situation awareness.
  19. Pacster

If you play on your own then it's useless. If you play in a squad or just with a bunch of players around you(like in biolabs), it's a great gun to suppress the enemy and give the guys around you a break(or they just have to finish off already orb-damaged targets). Don't expect to rake in kills with it...but you can gain a lot of assist(unfortunately they fixed the bug where you could get large chunks of exp that way). It's more the "I take one for the team"-playstyle...no risk, no skill, little reward...but with some tactical impact.
  20. Rebornvanu

Just pick up some other friends with lashers and have some fun.