Tips to live longer than 5 seconds ?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BL4Z3, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BL4Z3

I'm no stranger to mil sim type games , done well in them before ,.....so I dont know if its lagg ,..maybe I have a bad pc or for whatever reason I cant play this game ,...but it seems every engagement I have I lose , no matter what class or vehicle , it always seems like even if i get the drop on them with the first shot , they just turn around and in a very few shots ,,,take me out ,.....It really feels like everyone has guns that actually work except me ?
    Has everyone spent money on more powerful weapons ? I dont understand why I seem to be at such a disadvantage ? Im still quite new , is that it . is it rank related ? Its getting old already to be doing everything I think I should be doing working with my squad , flanking etc ,& then unload a whole magazine into an enemy only to have him turn & fire maybe 2 or 3 rounds & Im down?
  2. Thades

Drop a few cert points into the first ranks of Nanoweave armor and Nanite Mesh Generator for a Heavy Assault. They're really cheap to start. Play carefully and aim for the head, pop your shield if you start taking damage. No weapons are really more powerful in this game, they're all sidegrades.

I would recommend starting with HA as it's a little more forgiving for new players, your effective range is fairly close so stick to cover and inside of buildings. It just takes some practice.
  3. DJPenguin

Kill the enemy in 4 seconds
    • Up x 1
  4. TheBloodEagle

5. BL4Z3

OK so initially I should not waste any points on weapons until i find what Im comfortable doing , you say Armour may help , & I did not realize the hitboxes were that accurate , are there vital areas to target on vehicles as well?
    Also I'm not sure I understand the resource system , I noticed some can Spawn vehicles,.. while it will say not enough resources for me , I thought resources was determined by how much connected territory you hold ?
  6. ZoSoGetsu

I have to lower my mouse sensitivity for this game.. I put it at about .2 and its much smoother. I can still track targets at their fastest possible speed, but I can do so with a lot better precision. You will find this making a huge difference in sniping as well, and roughly a quarter of my overall kills are bolt action headshots. For closer encounters you just have to get used to knowing when it is better to spray hipfire or ADS. Most of the weapons in this game are pretty specialized for cq/hipfire, accuracy over distance, ADS mobility, and so on. Make sure you are bringing the right weapon to the right fight as far as that goes, i.e. if you are toting a weapon with horrible hipfire, try to keep at least a little distance between you and the enemy and pick them off by aiming. Use attachments that help improve these characteristics to suit the situation, then adhere to that style. You need to also have tactical awareness, and for gods sake use your minimap! Unless they have a suppressor enemies will show as a bright red dot when they fire. If you are nearby, you are pretty much dealt the upper hand because you know their location and they don't know yours. Works great on lone Inf's. Predict the direction they are firing and approach from behind. Occasionally you can clear a room full of enemies that are completely focused on something else. The more you play, the more things like this just come to you naturally. You don't have to own every time you play.. You are bound to have your ups and down, so just have fun..
  7. Delnoir

Stick to cover as much as possible. While in said cover try to look around at your surroundings before trying to cross a road. Avoid long stretches of flat terrain if possible. You could dump some certs into Nanoweave like suggested but I think at this point Flak Armor would increase your survivability more.

Situational awareness and using your environment for cover is important stuff. As much as I don't like to ask this did you come from console gaming by chance?
  8. Damean

Yes there are hit boxes on everything. The top, sides and rear of almost every vehicle are counted differently. Just like a human they assign damage according to where you are shot. I took out a Magrider once with 2x HA rockets who was parked by shooting the rear/bottom of the tank. It might have been a fluke but I can testify to hit boxes.

If your rig is more then a couple years old, or you don't have a semi up to date video card you will have trouble with the game and lag and die alot. It sucks, they are working on it, and anyone who says "I run it fine on a ****** computer" is stupid, wrong, or god likes them I dont know. I run it on a piece of **** 400 dollar rig I just got from best buy, BUT I have a 200 dollar vid card so I run it on low settings and have no problems.

One last thing to keep in mind. The learning curve is STEEP. The more you play in squads/outfits the more you learn. I have gotten to the point where I can solo and pull, probably 20-30 certs an hour and have a K/D ratio of 1-2 to 1 depending on what I am doing. One last thing to keep in mind, when you do get another computer you will be able to run PS2 without an issue. So why not take some time and learn the medic and engineer classes ? I got 50 certs in just a half hour one time just by rezzing and rezzing... so ******* boring, but hey someone had to do it right ?
  9. sierra035

stay in the warpgate for 5 seconds.
    bam, you had just beaten your old record!
  10. Delax

Simple concept.

You are not a hero, so don't act like it. You are squishy and weak.

Realize this and you'll be good. I have and ended up with a 2.3 KD today. It's that safer then sorry aspect.
  11. lsp1

Don't play NC, if you want the most chance of living play VS.
  12. JonJonPoPong

When you say your experienced do you mean at FPS games on the PC? Or do out mean some ****** 3rd person or even first person console crap where you have no skill and have been playing with auto aim helping you out?

Your competing against pc gamers who have been playing FPS games since quake and counter strike so yea you are going to get curb stomped.
    I can rack up 100+ kills in under 2 hours and only have died 10 times.

Here's some basic tips though.
    Don't run around alone.
    Max up as often as you can
    Use tanks
    Crouch when you start to shoot
    Learn to read battles and their flow in specific base types. This way you know where the enemy should be and you won't be running into them and can get behind them
    Listen to the noise around you, be it weapons fire, foot steps, call outs.
    Learn what you can fight as the class you are
    If you run into a max don't go head to head unless your a max or heavy assault with a rocket launcher and able to fight from distance.

End of the day it's all about situational awareness. A lot of us have been here since planetside 1 and some of us have been here since tanarus (just the tanks of planetside fighting) and that was since 98.

Remmeber Practice, practice and practice some more.
  13. GaussianGamer

The single best bit of advice given to me for HA was to use burst fire - aka: fire in short controlled bursts. aim > burst > aim > burst
    The tendency is to want to hold the trigger under pressure, but the accuracy goes out the window.

Not sure if this is uniform across all classes though.
  14. BL4Z3

Well i have tried to do what was suggested , more points in armour etc ,..I have to guess now its just my low fps I dont know what else to try ,..I still SWEAR that I try to aim carefully for head , short bursts empty magazine & I get killed in what seems to be 3 rounds from an enemy everytime , it really seems to me that I have the far weaker gun ,.....the only success I have had,... is as infiltrator making very long range headshots ....
  15. Over00

• Aim for the head. Double damage on headshots
    • If the enemy is within 10 meters, full auto. If between 10 and 30. 7-8 round bursts. Anything further, 3 round bursts or single shot.
    • If you play HA, anticipate the damage. About to run into a room you know has enemies inside? Activate your shield before heading in (Perhaps not for the standard shield but for certain the resist)
    • Don't stay in the open for to long. I have seen many people stand by a window or a corner completely still and wonder why they got sniped. Limit your time frame out in the open.
    • Getting sniped at? Run in zig zags!
    • Take the initiative to flank your enemy. An unaware enemy is substantially easier to kill than one camping the doorway your about to go through.
    • Join an outfit. I can't preach this enough! Without my outfit members I would of died on many occasion, but they always have my back! Good to know that you only have to face one direction because your teammates are covering the other arc of fire.
    • Do not use a flash to get into combat. Its the single biggest piece of crap in this game and is only good as a quick method of transport. You WILL die if fired upon.
    • Don't underestimate your sidearm. It is substantially quicker to draw your pistol than it is to reload your LMG!
    • For the love of god, DO NOT stand infront of the enemies spawn room. I'll say it once. YOU CANNOT SHOOT INSIDE, BUT THEY CAN SHOOT OUT! It still amazes me why people still do this.
    • Up x 2
  16. Admiral Snuggles

Shoot enemy dudes in the head.
  17. Moxin

Read this thread,especially the last two pages, and it will open your eyes. Game suffers from hit detection problems and is a lot focused on head region damage. This game is not like a military FPS, its a mix between counterstrike and an mmorpg with stats.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/what-is-wrong-with-this-game.63079/
  18. BL4Z3

I come from ArmA 2 , Americas Army 3 , Red Orchestra 1 & 2 , Even tried black ops ,.....never had too much issues until this game
  19. Moxin

Same here, you wont find a similar gameplay and there are some issues. Hope you did read the thread I linked for you.
  20. Krall

Get in a plane
    Get in a tank

thats the only tips i got.