This is what PS2 is like to a new player

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by disgruntled newbie, Nov 6, 2013.

1. TheBlindFreak

Haha what? People play medic because medics are bad:eek:ss. The upgraded res gun res's in 1 second, tops, has great range, and puts them at full health. The assault rifles are some of the best guns in the game.

No offense, but you sound like you play medic like a noob. You should use your res tool when you have cover and your AoE heal when you can't use your res tool. And don't run around with it out. Run up to dead ally, crouch and dance, pull out res gun and res, move on to next victim patient.

You aren't a medic. You are a Combat medic. Be careful, play smart, rake in the certs. Medics have the best cert gain.

As for 3rd person, no. It was a bad idea in PS1, it is a bad idea now. People would abuse the sh:eek:t out of it.
  2. KnightCole

Eq2 rezzes were not instant. I had a temp to Lv80, rezzes took awhile and if I remember right left you with like 20% health and power. Then you had a long Rez sickness rendering you utterly friggin useless for all intents and purposes. Unless there was a rez spell I missed along the way. or maybe I just never used it...who knows, but I dont remember insta rezzes.

As for Class blending in this game.....to what extent? We already have faction blend and NS ********. Eq2 over blended classes as well, Warden, Inquis, Templar, Defilers, The goodie Shaman, anyone with heals could heal, anyone with plate could tank, anyone with a mild DPS label could DPS. we dont need that in this game as well. I like the defined roles of hte classes, otherwise we shoulda just had 1 class, NC Soldier, VS Soldier, TR Soldier and just let everyone have everything......which I think is stupid. I personally dont even like hte idea of endless certs. I think there should be a limit to how branched out one can be. Or atleast a limit to the certs so we cant just unlock everything.
  3. Rogueghost

Bought the TAR about 2 weeks ago to see what all the fuss was about, one of the most overrated guns in the game, got 30 kills with it and went back to the cycler.

Not a bad gun, very good hipfire and decent rate of fire, but its ads accuracy was horrid.
  4. DeusExForever

Apparently you never played Battlefield, as some of the maps were huge (larger than BF3 maps). In BF2142 with the Titan mode, you had not only land objectives, it's also downing the Titan core, while the enemy tries to get your Titan core down. The beauty of that gameplay is you couldn't just zerg. Half had to defend, the rest had to go offensive (so none of this zerging with 15 vehicles and MAXes). Defenders protected consoles from being destroyed; gunners and engineers repairing Titan guns to repel the transports carrying troops, too.

Commanders then also called orbital strikes (missiles or AoE EMP); dropped supplies and spotted targets beyond the range squad leaders could.

Tactically battlefield is more involving at least with BF2/BF2142 (BF3 they removed the commander role). Platoon leaders in PS2 don't even have those features, but a voice channel and maybe putting down a defend icon and rally smoke.
  5. Boomotang

I love the BF series. But you can't seriously compare 32vs32 maximum to a game that's 48+vs48+ at multiple locations across 3 continents. I used to love BF mainly because it had the biggest fights. Doesn't even come close to PS2.
    • Up x 1
  6. Phazaar

Enjoy BF4! Post 2 summed up the obvious responses to all of your issues. Well, except 'L2P #blazeit'...
  7. DeusExForever

I played a paladin and battled rezzed and off-healed (saving the LoH for the MT, as it was stronger than any dedicated healer heal. EQII LoH could be used on others. WoW it can only be used on the paladin). EQII had rez sickness though, which dedicated healers had to remove, but as a paladin I just stepped in to MT while the other tank got rebuffed and healed.

It was because of the strong offhealing in EQII (sadly nerfed these days), why I play a Holy paladin in WoW. ;)

The reason for all that in EQII is due to the population itself (why the 3 factions could even raid together...could you imagine Alliance and Horde raiding together to even raid anymore???). SOE could streamline the 22 classes into 12, but it still would kill having a reason for having another faction. What's the point keeping a Shadow Knight when it overlaps a paladin? Or an Inquisitor overlapping a Defiler?

PS2 tries to keep a form of trinity in a MMOFPS, but a dedicate medic in a FPS game overlaps what an assault player can do, especially since the game has turned into more of a vehicle game now (and healers can't heal tanks or even MAXes).
  8. DeusExForever

Most of the fights I see now aren't 48vs48. The other day there were only 4 on Esmir and I was solo capping just to get resources back since that's all that were playing there at the time. Saw about 3 of the enemy during that time, too (map was full of none/none hexes).

Would say many of the fights now are like BF3 24vs24 at prime time. Haven't for days seen a really big fight that would last longer than an hour (especially with some alert, which splits what little remains playing). The game turns into a vehicle zerg gank fest with about 24 players, just steamrolling.
  9. Xasapis

You will never get a 30 yard rezz range. Rezz grenades are the closest we have and we still have people complaining that rezzing in general is way too fast, too easy and it makes driving out a persistent force really painful.

As for the rest, I think you missed the spot where I said that certain people are not meant to be rezzed. I'm not going to run into a mouth of a Prowler, just because a guy run and died in front of it, no matter how he whines about rezzes, sorry.

And yes, you need to be a better or a smarter player than the rest of your team. You're the last thing that stands between a recover and a wipe, the rest of your group has unfortunately failed.

Perhaps this game would benefit more if medic guns had charges (like in PS1) so you could only rezz a certain amount of people before needing to visit a terminal and recharge them.
  10. Lucidius134

Without side grades it's hardly an RPG element and more of a time sink to feed the cash cow.

They need to cut this ******** level 1 to level x disparity gap crap or else they won't get new players. When the game came out it was tolerable simply because everyone was new.
  11. Ronin Oni

1) If the enemy has set up to camp a spawn, then it IS lost. Fall back and stop them from getting in so close next time, or fall back and make a counter offensive

2) This game's hitreg isn't that bad.... ever play battlefield??

3) Basic HA's can take out vehicles. Lock-On launchers only cost 250 certs (that is cheap, trust me) and are exceedingly spammable (zero cost to spawn and use). Infantry have little problem fighting vehicles honestly.... in fact, most players agree the opposite is true and that vehicles don't serve enough purpose.

4) Well defined classes are a good thing. I don't even know what to say to you here other than maybe go back to CoD? Hate to be so dismissive but frack... classes are a GOOD thing. And jetpack LA's are quite effective for solo play, I do it all the time. Need ammo/health? fall back to the zerg and get some. (you can also pick up medkits for all classes for only 50 certs)

5) Honestly, don't use in game voip much, but when I have, it worked well enough... generally though, as most PC gamers do, me and my friends use Mumble or TS

6) Everything has a place and purpose. Not really sure what to tell you here either. Don't use MANA turrets in the open (they work great covering interiors), crouch and strafe behind the walls while repairing base turrets, med revives are perfectly fine (rank up your med tool maybe?)
  12. TheBloodEagle

It allows me to upgrade to a point that I want and be frugal with my certs. I can cert up exactly how I want. It would be boring customization wise if it was either Selected or Not Selected. Upgrading is satisfying to me. What the hell else am I going to do with all the certs once I found my niche? Of course it's a sink, what else they gonna do, give everything to you right away at max level? I think that would be less rewarding.
  13. KnightCole

Eq2 Paladin and SK are the same type of class(Casting plate fighter) but not the same.

Paladin is a Healing, low DPS, Wards and protection fighter

SK is the Heavy damage rediculously OP kill everything while still healing fighter.

I loved my 80SK.....damn was he crazy fun.

But I wish Eq2 had more separation of alignment. No, I cannot imagine horde and Alliance raiding together. I thought it was kinda dopey we could in Eq2. Of course I guess its like that in the PVP servers, but I never played there.

I think the baddies in Eq2 would absolutely wipe the floor with the goodies though. Pally vs SK, SK would end up winning because Sk does damage no matter what and spec'd right also got heals on every single attack. IDK how it is now but thats how it was when I played, 1200int, Baby Sedition, healing on every attack spec...was amazing. Then the "oh ****" spells, Harm Touch and Lay Hands, the SK Harm Touch does like 10000dmg and specd right also heals for like 3000. Lay handds just complete heals.

Meanwhile Paladin is wasting power casting wards on himself that the SK would eat through in 5 seconds flat and he has less damage to begin with. In PS2 terms its almost like an HA fighting anyone else. HA has great damage already and built in protections that he doesnt need to spend extra effort to make work...HA is the SK of PS2.
  14. Deronok

I can't help but think this person either didn't try if they're leaving that quickly, or is a troll. betting a troll if they're making this complex of an "I'm leaving" post.
  15. Revanmug

I wish more TR were as clueless considering it's the best overall AR.
  16. Rogueghost

Its a good gun, but its insanely overrated, I wasn't very disappointed after using it for 40 minutes as I was expecting everything I looked at to melt as it seems half the people on these forums seem to believe.
    In fact compared to my general score while using the cycler or Ns-11a I under preformed by a quite a bit during my time with it.
    I might give it another go sometime, but after I've gotten auraxium with the latter weapons.
  17. P0TAT0CANN0N

Hey guys I just made an account for the forums and I came across this nice little thread. What the poster has noticed I have noticed as well but I have a few extra things to say about PS2 that I think need to be brought up.
    1. I have been playing this game for a few moths and I have found that the Vanu is decisively overpowered. Their guns have next to no recoil, are very fast, and the shells don't drop due to range. I have seen the developers playing mostly as the Vanu and rarely as any other faction. This leads me to believe that the developers are favoring one faction over the other two (yes yes I know that each faction has different strengths and weaknesses).
    2. The hit-boxes are indeed buggy, I have shot guys with an entire 100 round clip or 30 round clip as the NC and found the enemies to still be standing with only their shields gone. (No I am fairly certain I did not miss as it was giving me hit markers almost every shot.)
    3. Tanks and other vehicles can be hard to take down due to the lack of effective AT. I find the starting rocket to be grossly ineffective and under-powered, and it takes far too long to acquire the required amount of cert points to unlock a decent rocket for anti-armor tactics.
    3. Oh the grind the horrible grind! I'm sure you know what I am going to say next. Sorry if I sound like I am complaining but it cannot be helped. I find cert points to be unbelievably difficult to amass in enough amounts to get the nicer things in the game (you know the guns that are nice) 1000 cert points seems extremely steep to someone starting out or to casual players that want good weapons.
    I'm sorry to say that it very much looks like they want you to pay real money for the items in the game that can even remotely come close to helping you fight off others with cash bought items.

4. I do agree that classes are far too rigid for reactive flexibility in a squad. Sure you can have one or a few people in the squad assigned to certain classes but when the situation changes you find yourself either with too much offensive classes or too few defensive classes. I think that they should allow ONE class to be made according to the players specifications. For example; Allowing the player to choose the base character model and abilities along with what kind of weapons it can carry. It would make the game more fun to play and allow at least some adaptability on the battle field. As we all know a plan does not survive an actual battle. It would also encourage new players to adapt a play-style that fits them and not the rigid class system.

Thank you for reading my long post and feel free to critique where you think I am wrong.
  18. Eugenitor

Someday? Are you posting this from ARC Bioengineering, by any chance?

Anyway, the OP is quite correct on all points because, like he said, this is how a new player sees it. (Revives become MUCH faster at upgrade 6.) The concept of experience points simply does not belong in shooter games, where the new players are already at a severe disadvantage due to their actual inexperience.
  19. Wecomeinpeace

Pretty much all of the OPs points are absolutely valid complaints (except maybe the netcode/gunplay one, as i see this mostly as one of the strong points of PS2 actually).

And as for the "if you get spawncamped spawn somewhere else, daah" posts; That is such a stupid argument. It is very well possible to design a base and/or mechanic in a way that removes spawncamping as an integral part of the playing experience.
    Like, for example, in the previous game of this very franchise...

Spawncamping is annoying and stupid, and wouldn't need to be there. Atleast not in the full, awful glory we have here where you just have to spawn somewhere else even though the cap timer has not even passed half-time. It's ****** design, not a necessity.
    • Up x 1
  20. Blackinvictus

Coming here as my first FPS from traditional RPG MMO's I'd say that PS2 is a horribly merciless quick death game for newcomers.

Takes months to know what the hell you are doing. I'd say pick one class and vehicle and really get determined to master each, no matter how many deaths. I took the Skyguard (often the only one in the field) back before it was cool and managed to get pretty good with it, but that took a long time and many a fiery death.