The Vulcan is

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ATRA_Wampa-One, Dec 18, 2014.

1. TheFamilyGhost

As long as balance is based on something as infinitely variable as in-game performance instead of physical laws, any talk of balance is nonsense.
  2. TriumphantJelly

I can't provide a logical counter argument because this is illogical, and I can't express just how illogical it is without disobeying forum guidelines. So I'll just settle for saying "So buff C4?".
  3. WTSherman

If the current Vulcan is fine then can we get the old Scatter Max and 3,000HP/8s Vanguard shield back? :D
    • Up x 1
  4. Titan6

I'd like to clarify once again (Just in case the devs are watching this thread) that the Harasser Vulcan is the one causing the problems, not the Prowler variant.
  5. TheFamilyGhost

Why is the requirement of consistently quantifiable valuation illogical?

How does the presentation of a random position <So buff C4?> as a response to a statement regarding the absence of non-arbitrary valuation of weapons contribute to the integrity of an accusation of another's post being illogical?

How could one not be able to express themselves in a manner that doesn't break normally accepted conventions of communication?
  6. TriumphantJelly

Okay, you use big words, good for you. So can I. I must, however, thank you for providing me with a challenge whilst I read.

A game like Planetside is not built around accurate physics, so when it does not obey a physical law I don't say, "unbalanced": The Magrider guns are effected more by gravity than others EVEN THOUGH the rounds are much less dense than air (it's freaking plasma) and that gravity is a constant force that people should not be able to change at will. If anything, they should have less drop than conventional rounds because of their low density (and they already move more slowly which kind of makes sense).
    It is only unbalanced in my opinion because of other factors: not conforming to accurate physics is just a handy part of the argument, not the basis for it.

You say that in-game balance should depend on physics (real world or otherwise) and not onthe performance of a weapon, so seeing as it would not break any physical laws, I see no problem with increasing the killing power of a weapon like C4.
    It would have serious repercussions when it comes to game balance, but as changes shouldn't rely on that, we haven't a problem.
    Shaped charges could probably do even more damage to an armoured tank than current our C4, and soldiers could likely carry more than 2 units of it. This is how it could work in real life with real phsyics, et cetera, but it is illogical to presume that this would be alright simply because it breaks no essential and proven laws of phsyics.

Also, please explain how the current way of determining whether something is over or under performing is arbitrary: I fail to see how a massive gap in quantifiable performance is inadequate when among other factors.

I can't express my viewpoint on that post because it is negative, non-constructive and possibly insulting. All of these go against the official SOE Planetside 2 Forum Guidelines to a degree. Sorry.

The lack of an OP/UP definition (and determination method) is not currently an enormous issue, but it might help. I don't know. Relying on realism in a game like this is not the end-all solution, and would make some things rather worse.

Oh, and by the way, I agree completely with your sginiture; it's just that there's a line that has been crossed with the Vulcan (or at least the Vulcan-H).
  7. amillionslain

It is really hard to balance vehicles when they all die ludicrously fast in various and numerous scenarios...maybe they should be actual tanks with stronger armor instead of the paper we have now. I'm not a stellar player but I've been playing since closed beta and have seen many trends. The worse is the Nerffettes screaming about everything that kills them in the game until faction traits became a dead concept and vehicles now blow.

They should really think long and hard about how vehicles and infantry interact. If you going to have paper tanks then yes give them crazy firepower cause they are all glass cannons. If you wanna make them tough give them all high alpha but low reload speeds, and vary them along those lines.

As for the harasser vulcans, I think the one clip is fine in relation to the distribution of powerful weapons each faction has access to
  8. Thornefear

I don't generally complain about the stuff that is "OP" unless its used to prevents scores and scores of people from participating in the battle at all with no chance to fight against it....like the old PPA that they are trying to say the new harasser is like.

I just saw the other day how some people are STILL trying to say the PPA was balanced.

We don't get anything on the level with ravens, lancers, the old PPA, etc etc. and I am FINE with that. What we do need is a tool for every job. What we didn't HAVE was a tool for the anti-vehicle job that wouldn't mostly be ignored.

I am more than happy with everyone keeping whatever is supposedly OP, as long as it doesn't actively stop play without a fighting chance. People can complain all they want, But you can fight against a vulcan harasser without having to pull a tank, Unlike the old PPA. I'll side with the nerf whiners when the vulcan gets splash damage (it won't) that's the size of the PPA's old splash (again it WON'T)

I think it's cute how people say situational weapons are OP, a lockdown prowler is not OP, it's a target. It's a dangerous target for sure, but it's still a target.

How I think this game should be balanced. Everything should be dangerous in its own way, and able to kill everything else with skill and practice. Elitists don't like that, because skygods are ruined and "I'MA"Tankers have to be careful. You're in a tank, not a chariot of the GODS.
  9. Atuday

This has reached 8 pages so the devs will hopefully take note of the issue. The tank variant is fine. Leave it alone. The harrassers though... that gun should not do to tanks what a ppa does to infantry. There are a lot of great av guns out there for tr. They done need one with a ttk that short against a tank.
  10. Ander

The vulcan works best close up and personal. It's the tradeoff it has versus other longrange weaponry available.

So, how do you fight harassers?
    Easily.

Get air with hornets and gr4pe the **** out of the harasser. It cant do much if you're high and at range.
    Vanguard can easily pop its shield, turn its gun turrent and wtf bbq the harasser if the gunners have some sense of awareness.

Magriders deserves to die if it gets snuck up from behind if the gunner doesnt pay attention. A wraith flash sneaking up to a magrider with lightassault on its back can kill it as easily ..

The vulcan is the answer to what TR has lacked. Up close vehicles.
    You NEED to get up close, you cant sit and snipe from a distance.

The prowler simply isnt as good up close as the other tanks are. The magrider will bbq a prowler close up and face on if it's strafing and using cover (it can look down on the prowler and shoot it without fear of getting hit back).
    The vanguard will kill a prowler before the prowler can do much if it's front 2 front.

When Im on my NC or VS alts I've learnt to adapt and expect harassers and fight them accordingly.
    Now you too need to do this.
    • Up x 2
  11. ColonelChingles

It's almost like the bad old days of May of last year when the Harassers were eating Lightnings left and right. At least now though it's only TR ones that I have to worry about... except for the fact that TR Harassers are showing up in NC-VS fights where they have no business being. :mad:

At this point I pull an AP Lightning, and I don't die to other Lightnings, MBTs, or air... it's pretty much a Vulcan Harasser that gets me at this point.

Except once where a Vulcan Harasser jumped over a hill in one of those NC-VS fights and led a 2/2 AP Magrider right into me. I still blame that one on the Harasser though.
    • Up x 1
  12. iller

• Up x 1
  13. Allin

You are kidding, right? From a distance that does not allow easy aim with Vulcan even half brain Harasser driver can dodge rockets, with the close range you get shredded on first reload. Yes you can kill STATIONARY harrasers with ease, but those ones are not the problem in the first place. I think you don;t really use hornets that much, or you are this harasser driver that stands still.

Now, this is just silly. You are saying, that if magrider can DODGE shots, it can win? And you doing what exactly? standing still? Ever heard of side armor? Compare DPS of Mag with AV + top AV to that of Prowler's, smack yourself in the face and come back.
    Your comment on magrider looking down, and you poor prowler can't shoot back...seriously, I don't know what to say. Maybe try W and S buttons? You don't have to be in siege mode to shoot...

pure nonsense
    • Up x 3
  14. Titan6

No one should balance based on number of users. Otherwise the Galaxy would be the ultimate weapon.
    • Up x 1
  15. asmodraxus

After reading through these pages its so obvious

If your TR then the Vulcan on a harasser is perfectly balanced

Its those NC and VS tankers that need to l2p...
    • Up x 1
  16. Flag

Buuuuuuuuuuut the sunderer is close the the ultimate ground vehicle.

I think we're on to something here!
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

Good job reading the thread.
  18. Flag

Did you expect anything else?

I didn't.
  19. shadowkhat

• Min indirect damage increased from 1 to 10
    • increased the explosion size...
    i get twice the kills with it now... its not a huge buff but it was an unwarranted buff the thing was op to begin with, didn't need to have 9 times more minimum damage and larger explosions. the vulcan though is rediculous it out ttk's c4 ... and that is rediculous op.. and its obvious the TR know it and just lie here... its like the zoe max op time.. thats all you see is tons of vulcan harrasers and tanks. you can come on here and lie all you want but when a tank/buggy gun can out TTK c4 its op
  20. shadowkhat

they both out ttk c4 .. they are both OP prowler V vanguard from behind 2 seconds ttk harraser slightly more 2-3 seconds c4 3 seconds to drop 2 c4 and detonate...