[Suggestion] The Un-grittiness Of Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Commando235, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Iridar51

I find PS2 to be a nice balance between dirty soldiers crawling in the mud of Bottlefield and unserious cartoonishness of Team Fortress / Overwatch.
  2. Regpuppy

I saw this and imagined a bum-fight version of battlefield.
  3. JustBoo

Also a nay on the so-called gritty color scheme of gray and brown. People think it's 'gritty' because it's depressing after playing a while. The daze of Quake are over.

This got to me while playing Fallout 3. Human nature dictates that after 200 years, somewhere, someone would clean up their damn room / house / area, rather than blow their brains out. Even if their mommie hadn't told them to clean it up.
  4. Hammerlock

[IMG]
  5. Commando235

How do you find it gritty at its current state? I can understand that it could be seemingly useless after hours of fighting and then dying, the certain psychological effect. But it visually seems like a more colorful version of Halo/Battlefield.
  6. Iridar51

You either meant to quote somebody else or didn't read what I wrote.
  7. Commando235

Yup wrong post quoted. Speaking of your original post how do you find it to be a balance?
  8. Iridar51

Well, PS2 uses much more realistic models, both for weapons and players, but does not use brutally dark color scheme.

See for yourself:
    PS2
    Bottlefield
    Team Fortress 2
    PS2 is realistic enough to not look like children's cartoon, not realistic enough to look like a camouflaged piece of dirt.
  9. eldarfalcongravtank

i dont mind PS2's colorful art design anymore after having played this for almost three years. the faction colors fit the lore pretty well and factions' ideals are properly represented by their main colors (red = loyalty/totalitarianism, blue = liberty/independence, purple = mystery/zeal).

but i would not mind at all if they reduced the obnoxious team color on ALL factions' classes and vehicles. that would greatly help with the immersion some people here like in this game of "ArmA in space" (large-scale battle "simulation").

nevertheless, once a grittier 'authentic' game with unique factions/weapons/vehicles, endless combined-arms war and huge maps with thousands of players comes out, it's very likely i'll leave PS2. but since nothing like this appears to be in the works PS2 still has me for the years to come, i guess...
  10. Commando235

I can see your point but I can't completely agree since the game looks very different once you put in the Player Studio crazy decals and bright camos. If you have seen the "What Planetside 2 Looks Like vs What Planetside 2 Was Supposed To Look Like" you will know what I mean...

They don't need to reduce the default colors they just need to make player, vehicle and weapon camos less like wallpaper or paint and more like actual camouflage. So just make it less vibrant. And for decals the same thing, make them smaller and less vibrant. But I would rather have the option to turn certain annoying ones off for me altogether.
  11. Iridar51

I've seen it, and I know what you mean. I have a lot of distaste for these bright cosmetics myself, and wish it was different.
  12. Taemien

I think the most consistent art style Daybreak/SOE has had is in EQ2. It still has the same art style into its 11th expansion like 11 years since its release.

EQ1 not so much...

[IMG]

Is the entrance to Neriak, one of the cities in the game. This is an updated zone with new textures. But then when you enter:

[IMG]

You get this low textured mess from 1999.

The texture resolution is VASTLY different from zone to zone. As is the art style. To make it worse they have old textured MOBS in new textured areas and new textured mobs in old areas. Its a mismatched mess.

That's kinda what we're seeing in Planetside 2. The artstyle went crazy because they didn't reign in the PS. But it goes beyond that. Some of the wackiest camo jobs are from Daybreak/SOE themselves. They set the standard, and the standard is what we see in PS2.

Thankfully only EQ1 suffers from low and high rez objects being mismatched. We only have a color issue in PS2. And unfortunately due to how agreements work in Player Studio. We're stuck with them. Sure they can add the function to turn off camos. But... will that really help?

Indar looks like this:

[IMG]

When the colors should be more like this:

[IMG]

The continents themselves are too vibrant in color where they shouldn't really be.
  13. MrJengles

Good examples.

Yeah, PS2 has a lack of aesthetic. Not being gritty would be fine if they deliberately made things colorful, stylized etc.

On the other hand, their character models, weapons, level and base design etc. all promote a semi-realism. Not super realistic - which is probably as much due to that being incredibly costly on resources and performance as it was a design decision - but it's on that end of the spectrum. Additionally, they very recently darkened the interior and exterior of bases, following on from darkening the faction colors and adjusting camo coverage.

Sounds like The Gunpowder Plot: Holbeche House also Last Stand.

• Up x 1
  14. Exitus Acta Probat

I like when the other side wears bright colors, it even helps me out when my own side wears bright colors when around me, I stand out less
  15. cbplayer

So basically you want the game to look like this.
    Yeah so everyone and their mother wants to suck color out games for some reason
  16. placeholder22

+1 on the option to turn off custom camos
  17. ColonelChingles

I was just thinking about pretty much all your early matchlock users.

You had to load those with gunpowder into a pan. Often times the most convenient way to do this would be to have little baggies of gunpowder hanging off your chest like so:

[IMG]

I mean these ones are fancy because of wood (though wood also burns) but a lot of times it might have just been oiled paper or some other handy substance.

Meanwhile see that rope? That's the "match", which will be lowered into the pan to set off the gunpowder. While the match is on fire of course. From both ends (in case one end goes out).

So early firearm users were running around with explosives strapped to their chests and holding a burning piece of rope at the same time. :eek:

Which is why those types of mercenaries must have been at least a little crazy in the head.