[Suggestion] The Un-grittiness Of Planetside 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Commando235, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Commando235

Does anyone remeber the Death Is No Excuse CGI trailer? The game looked like it would portray a more realistic and immersive version of future warfare. The environment was dark and dull , the explosions were vibrant and stood out, and the armor wasn't too bright and wasn't to dark. The game kept this tone generally the same minus the dark environments with the environmental camos and some of the helmets. But once they introduced Player Studio the camos and decals went out of control. The extremely bright camos and heart decals looks ridiculous, and the game needs to decide if it wants to be serious or lose its **** with pink camo and MLG decals. I say that there should be an option for use to disable certain decals or camos. Not necessary but would be nice, would be the option to tone down the colors of the enviroment.
    • Up x 1
  2. Flamberge

I would be fine with the option to turn of other player's camos/decals.

However, I actually began playing PS2 because of its un-grittines. There are plenty of dark "realistic" games with dull colors and general darkness, but PS2 is what I like, simply a game. It has immersion, but it is not trying sooo hard to make one believe it is real life, which in my opinion can never be accomplished in a video game anyways.

My 2 cents.
    • Up x 5
  3. ciider

I agree on skins. I like the player-studio model quite a bit too, people paid to show off their skins. I agree with that part too. However the ability to turn off certain labeled skins for simply being too silly, would be a awesome idea! How would it work in practice? a paid for feature? i dont know. If it was a paid for feature, i would not get access to turn them off either way.

I am not a fan of post-process coloring though, if the colors go out-of-bounds you get image quality loss and loss of performance. Not what 3D graphics need!
  4. Commando235

Not a paid feature, that's like paying for turning off your electricity when you're still paying for it. Just a little clients ode option to disable certain decals, weapon, player or vehicle camos. Daybreak please take this into consideration!

If you like it that's fine, but I loved the image and tone they had in that trailer and maintained partially through the first half a year.
  5. ciider

People pay for these skins to show off to others, DBG makes money from people showing off their skins. This is why i believe it is a mistake to give out free skins/camos/beta-testing-helmet ect. ect. I believe it is a mistake to even give out station-cash-cards at events, their payment model is only just borderline possible.
    Either the bills get paid or they dont, look at Greece who they illegally bail out all the time for example.
  6. AlterEgo

Make it a little more violent, make the NC a darker faction lore and aesthetically-wise, and make the factions more diversified in a serious, more outstandingly I-hate-your-guts type of way, with soldiers denouncing members of each faction differently either upon taunting or killing.
  7. CorporationUSA

I hadn't seen that trailer before. Don't think I've laughed this hard in a while. The part with the LA riding on the landing gear of the reaver and jumping from gal to gal is just so ridiculous. What I would give to see the same art style and music, except in a more accurate trailer :p

On topic, I like that graphics style to a degree, but I also like the current one. As far as immersion is concerned, I don't think this game is right for that. Games like Arma 3 are where it's at when it comes to combined arms immersion gameplay. I don't think there is a futuristic equivalent to Arma though. I personally couldn't get immersed in a game with tons of cheesy ways to day.
  8. Commando235

Not sure how they can make it more violent without breaking the T rating. But if they aren't concerned about that they could just embrace it like Warframe which was borderline T but just got re rated to M. The idea with the voicing is a good idea but may take more work and have less of an effect Only major problem with voicing is the God awful TR and NC voices that sound like 12 year olds with puberty voice cracks.

But they won't be losing money... If people want to still see other other people's MLG decals and bright camos they just don't have to select the option to turn them off. If there are a few hundredths of the thousands that turn off certain camos or decals why should the other not turning off the cosmetics care? So simply hey just release an update that lets us turn off any of the individual cosmetics. You don't like looking at that heart decal on a Galaxy? Fine! Turn it off! Hate seeing that one goofy helmet? Turn it off! I don't see how this is really a problem money wise, you're just making it so that you don't see it in you're game.
  9. Commando235

Yeah I have Arma 3 and I love it. Planetside has been my futuristic less hardcore more pure fun alternative. And I just really wish it kept the Halo esque tone. But now this game is almost unidentifiable from Orion Prelude. And it seems weird because I see that trailer and I play, and I just think WTF happened? And the game tries so hard to take itself seriously, and people play it seriously, just the cosmetics ruin it. That's why I'm proposing a way to disable any of them separately.
  10. Konstantinn

Biggest thing that separates game from trailer is camera..... we all know shaky camera at weird angles makes pretty much anything look a lot cooler than it really is..... also dramatic music.... and something that almost looked like plot (metagame?!?!?). Shame none of those really made it into the game itself.

Still playing though, if I didn't like PS2, I would have stopped long ago.
  11. ciider

I already told you about my view if you bothered reading, they could add a disclaimer to all 'silly decals' Which is diffrent from the 'serious decals' saying that "This decal is silly, it can be disabled!" If they made that a toggle, perhaps even a paid feature TOO.. Then there is no reason they cannot add it, like, tomorrow.

You start off with assuming, then i will continue to say that their current business model is borderline with what that is possible. I would not include your specific suggestion even in a B2P game, but it is more realistic for a business model of that sort.
  12. Pointyguide2

oh wow I never saw that before
    compared to that planetside 2 looks like a cartoon.
  13. CorporationUSA

Yeah, but the game is still F2P and relying on the sale of cosmetics and other things to make money. If you make it so people can disable cosmetics, you make cosmetics less desirable for the people who buy them to look different or unique. The trade-off could be giving premium members the option to disable cosmetic items. Since the vast majority of players are likely not subscribers, I don't think it would hurt sales too much. Or there could be a one time fee or something. Both of those options sound ridiculous, but they need to make their money. I'd rather they do it more with cosmetic items, and less with questionable weapon releases and implants myself.
  14. Killuminati C

I want to know why after 2 years I still haven't seen a helmet in game that looks quite like the one the guy in the drop pod is wearing...
  15. KaletheQuick

The game is realistic looking. Turn the graphics all the way up and EMP grenade yourself. BEHOLD TRUE GRIT!

Seriously though. Everything isn't drab because nobody is afraid of dying and differentiating your soldiers on the battle is a legitimate concern. Why do you think old style soldiers were so ******* fancy looking? If we were more drab and blendy, the friendly fire would be even worse!
  16. ColonelChingles

My two cents on this is that game colours are part of its aesthetics. You can have bright colours if the aesthetics overall are bright. And you can have dark, gritty colours if the aesthetics overall are dark.

One example of a game that does this right is the Borderlands series. Cell-shaded and cartoon-like are ways to describe it:

[IMG]

But it being colourful works for Borderlands because everything about the game is colourful. The characters. The plot. The weapons. The gameplay mechanics. Borderlands can get away with being colourful because it's not a serious game.

Or some games use colour in smaller amounts, as accents. For example, Bioshock:

[IMG]

Are there pretty colours? Yes. But is there also dark grittiness? Also yes. The way Bioshock does it though these differences actually work. The brighter colours represent the happy civilian life while the darker ones are from the post-apocalyptic side of things.

How about 5 Nights at Freddie's? Again a combination of bright colours and darkness, though this time meant to be scary.

[IMG]

Other games can't do this well though. This especially breaks down when there is something really hilarious going on while the colour aesthetics try to play it straight. Consider the Call of Duty "press F to pay respects" debacle:

[IMG]

The colours are all muted and serious, but at the same time the game is asking you to do something utterly ridiculous in the most detached manner possible. The effect is completely jarring and shows what happens when you combine a serious and gritty aesthetic with a comedic game.

So what about PS2? Well the question is if it's a serious game with serious aesthetics, or if the colours really work with the current game.

I think most people would say that PS2 is much more of a "serious" game than a funny one (like say Borderlands).

Next we've seen that even "serious" games can have accents of colours and still work. Does PS2 fall into this category? Does it use colour skillfully in limited amounts to build a carefully crafted aesthetic?

[IMG]

Errr... that's way beyond "accent". More like an accident really.

So yea. PS2 has some definite art direction issues. And this is a problem because it really tarnishes the game for those who care about aesthetics (not so much for people who just want to shoot face).

Before you confuse the kiddos, the reason why many European nations wore bright colours was because it was important for their commander to see them. Back then you could really just command formations to move if you could see where they were, so distinctive bright colours made sense.

Combine that with the fact that weapons weren't too accurate back then and that they were slow to fire, so the result was that hitting individual soldiers wasn't that big a deal.

Uniforms weren't colourful because of friendly fire issues... it was more due to command and control issues combined with the fact that they enemy couldn't mow you down with automatic fire even if they wanted to.

Throw in modern command and control methods (maps, telephones, GPS, etc) as well as automatic fire that can destroy entire squads if they are clumped together, and uniforms become much more drab.

On the other hand, alpenflage:

[IMG]

Though nothing will be as fabulous as crazy mercenaries who have lit matches while having explosive gunpowder strapped to their chests!

[IMG]
    • Up x 4
  17. Ianneman

Exactly ******* this.

CnC Renegade is for me, the ultimate shooter game because it was like, a cartoon. It was challenging and fun, but mostly FUN. PS2 is a bit more realistic than that, but it's ultimately one of THE most fun-oriented shooters out there.
  18. Crator

If they allowed you to disable camos I wouldn't mind. They could still force the camos to display on the death screen which I would be fine with as well.
  19. Crayv

I like to think the Auraxis war has gone on so long that the soldiers fighting in it don't really care anymore, it's not like being killed because you are wearing BRIGHT YELLOW really means anything, you are just going to respawn.
  20. Pikachu

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only... vibrant colors. :D
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Oh btw.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4