The TR's lack of infantry long range AV.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MostlySilent, Dec 2, 2014.

1. MostlySilent

My personal opinion is that this is the biggest balance issue in the game.

It's a got a lot of implications and I believe exaggerates such issues as Raven MAXes camping on plateaus or Magriders up in hills surrounding bases.

The problem is that John Doe over there, a regular old infantry guy, has no answer for this. If he were VS he could grab a Lancer or pull a Vortex MAX. (Or really try for long range Comet hits.)

NC has Phoenixes and obviously the Raven.

TR has the Striker and Fractures in weapons that could fill this role and don't. The Striker is still pretty bad and just isn't a long range AV option while the Fractures are just really, really bad. (They're less accurate than Pounders for reasons.)

As it stands now, there's no real answer for distant armor or Raven MAXes on hills that isn't a vehicle for TR. If I can't pull a Prowler because of the fight, or I'm infantryside, I really just can't do anything about them.

It'd be just super if the Striker could fill a longer ranged RL role like the Lancer (And Phoenix to a much lesser extent) and if Fractures got changed to be more effective.

(Better accuracy and probably higher RoF or preferably higher damage and reduce mag size to like 8. If you're too worried about them two shotting infantry, then just slap on a modifier vs armor for them and adjust damage accordingly.)

That way when I've got Ravens screaming down forever or Magriders surrounding my base I can do something about it instead of getting a little frustrated and realizing that I don't have any options available to me.

Something filling this role for TR could actually be beneficial for Ravens for those that are worried about an impending nerf to them because it would effectively nerf them environmentally, so you could probably go lighter on hitting what they actually are.
    • Up x 9
  2. Golconda

Thats the reason why i quit TR and joined VS, the imbalance between what you can do with a vortex/comet/lancer and what you can do with TR stuff tends to create situations and strategies that really can work only when facing the republic. And the lack of a decent ESRL just kills the fun for me and for everyone that uses HAs because of its empire specificity with heavy weapons and such
    • Up x 4
  3. Golconda

Right now if my base is heavy camped by tanks with TR the best you can do is redeploy elsewhere and be useful, with my vanu I can easily get a friend or two with vortexes and obliterate tank after tank, or just get my lancer and kill steal the crap out of my team mates lol, never gonna redeploy in those cases.
    Dunno about NC, phoenix doesn't have long range capability tho, isn't its range just 300 m?
    • Up x 2
  4. \m/SLAYER\m/

Phoenix doesn't fit long range. Now you cant you Falcons at long range, just because you will miss a lot shots, you need hit confirm, then you start spam. How TR fits longer range - by increasing their ROF, using anchor mode.
    i think main problem of TR players - they never played other factions.. no reaching TR base if there deployed Prowlers :eek: attackers will loose a lot of vehicles. once you reached, an TR MAX could spam you with AV.. if you don't move into better cover, you will die.
    • Up x 2
  5. Golconda

With my vanu I dont see TR deployed vehicles/maxes, I see free certs. A deployed max without flak cant literally escape 2 max charge lancer beams and those are enough to kill it, and a deployed prowler cant even see me from the distance I shoot it with my lancer
    • Up x 3
  6. Paragon Exile

I'd rather have the NC and VS lose their long range AV rather than giving the TR their own. It's not exactly fun to fight against.
    • Up x 10
  7. Irathi

I agree that the TR maxes are in a bad spot when it comes to long range AV. The fracture has been nerfed to the ground and is completely useless.

Make the fracture more accurate, reduce the drop to 0 (it fires rockets after all with their own propultion system?). Maybe also speed up the velocity. No need to adjust damage. That should suffice.

Also adding some sort of lock on to maxes for the striker would be appreciated (like in PS1), but it could be a tad OP so have the nerfhammer ready.
  8. Golconda

And imagine How fun is it when you can't fight back, you just can redeploy when that happens.
    • Up x 2
  9. Paragon Exile

If a vehicle is shooting at you, you don't rush up to it on foot and expect to win. You fall back, pull your own vehicles and murder them.

Infantry are a bit too powerful against vehicles currently.
    • Up x 8
  10. Dieter Perras

While this is true I think he was more referring to the fact that you can pilot it straight to your target, making it very accurate. As far as long range AV, why not just fix the fractures? kind of feeling bummed about buying the damned things.
    • Up x 1
  11. Golconda

I dont rush anything lol, i can fire from Beyond their fire range so I don't need to do it.

...on vanu
    • Up x 1
  12. Paragon Exile

Notice what you just said;

That's the crux of the problem I object to. It's not fair or fun to fight against that.
    • Up x 3
  13. Golconda

Actually, I pmuch hate ppl who sits in their tanks and get kills from distance without doing anything useful for the base capping, no matter if they are with me or against, that's why I find pretty fun to attack them, even if it only means they must change their spot or get their ***** out and repair
    • Up x 1
  14. Revel

300m is more than enough to be considered long range in this game.

TR Max outside using Lock down for anything other than bursters in a well protected spot, you may as well type /suicide
    • Up x 3
  15. \m/SLAYER\m/

if you going to hit something at that range - its waste of time, because engi will repair vehicle faster then you reload
    • Up x 2
  16. Revel

Or, you coordinate with 2 or 3 others to target the same guy
    • Up x 2
  17. Goretzu

Ravens I agree, although they are in the process of being nerfed.

But the Pheonix? The best as the crow fly range you can possibly get with that is about 295m, and realistically it is likely more like 290m. In reality with any manuvering around stuff it is a lot less than that. :confused:

Er...... and Pheonix users, of course, have it so much better than that, being not only completely stationary (and not a MAX), but basically AFK too.

A single maxed out engi will out-repair the DPS from ~2.5 Pheonix users at 290m, more if they are doing it to a sundy and are using the "E" trick.
  18. Revel

Except a Phoenix user doesn't need direct LOS, can shoot it from a spawn room, and if they have friends around to shout warnings, can exit out of the missile early if need be to respond to nearby troops just like a max takes a few seconds to get out of lockdown
    • Up x 2
  19. Goretzu

It doesn't need direct LOS, but does it needs a firing angle (and with any turning for the target to be well inside a 295m range) as it needs to be looped past any terrain (it cannot just "turn").

A Pheonix user isn't a MAX, and has MUCH less surviablity (you'll be dead before you can "e" out of flight from a shouted warning - the TTK of almost anything is shorter than the time it takes to return to first person view).

You can sometimes shoot it from a spawn room, but you don't actually have a spawn room everywhere in the game, and even where you do it doesn't mean you can get a firing angle out of it to hit anything.

On top of that Pheonixes can be easily shot down and have exceedingly low DPS (by far the lowest of ANY AV weapon) at anything close to their maximum flight time.

This is why the Pheonix had the same AV statistics as the Striker 2.0 (which was claimed to be "pants") and much lower AV stats than the Lancer.

You cannot just pretend the Pheonix doesn't have significant drawbacks when it does - this is why the Pheonix isn't remotely used by the NC in a regular way, because it is very situational....... powerful in some situations, undoubtedly, but those situations are less than 10% of the time in normal gameplay.

Clearly you've never actually used it, I think.
    • Up x 2
  20. FateJH

The velocity is the big thing. Fracture rockets are one of a few non-Vehicles in this game that accelerate, which changes how they behave at different distances. Here are the notes from PU02:
    Important formulas:
    They start slower than Pounders and end up just under dumbfires, and achieve this speed change in 2.2s. While that is better than Pounder-speed Ravens, but far worse than the first level of the Vortex, they lack either the controllability of the former or the precision of the latter. In that time, they will need to travel 275m before they reach 180m/s (practically out ot Infantry render distance). In that time, their drop also changes such that they drop more towards the start and less only at longer ranges. Any incorrectly-judged distance or movement of the target causes the rocket to have been a wasted shot.

To hit a target 275m away, you have to aim so far above the target's dorito that you aren't even really aiming at the target or its dorito anymore. I've been pelted by near-accurate Ravens and perfectly accurate Vortex/Lancers and sufficiently accurate AV MANA turrets at the same distance.

It was a problem for base turrets because those are immobile. Against MAXes, I see it doing a better harassment job than a direct combat job, though that might be a suitable compromise.
    • Up x 3