The Planetside 2 Subreddit has a darkside to it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Jan 16, 2016.

1. AxiomInsanity87

What's not to like lol.
    • Up x 1
  2. FateJH

No, it is not.
    If you're going to get stuck up on that, as I recall, Scr1nRusher, in what I believe was something of an introductory post on this forum, touted himself as an expert at video game balancing. Despite further questioning, he was disinclined to cite any specific work he had done or any other sort of credentials. That does make sense, as too many associations would risk his real name to be traced by matching credits to a game; and, that's not sometthing that people find enjoyable online; however, even one concrete example of his work would have been appreciated at the time, and the evasiveness felt offputting.

Fortunately, it rarely gets brought up, so it's nothing more than a footnote.
  3. Shiaari

I see, so its ok for a coordinated group of individuals to isolate one person they don't like and downvote their content into oblivion, but its not ok for that single person to fight back by shrugging off those votes?

One more reason Reddit is a sh*t hole.
    • Up x 2
  4. DooDooBreff

i like how you left outvthe most import sentence in my reply, but i understand why you had to..... lol
  5. FateJH

You said that only the first sentence was satire. The bulk of my reply was in response to a sentence that was not the first.

As as act of courtesy, I will restore (edit in) the two parts of your post I did not include in the reply, without changing my original text.
  6. DooDooBreff

well in all honesty after i saw that you left out what didnt suit what you were saying i stopped giving a **** about what you had left to say, and still stands now
  7. FateJH

Is there a reason that understanding that you are using satire is important to your argument? if so, I apoloize for being curt with the point.
  8. Savadrin

This thread brings out the best in all of us. It's delicious in a make-me-vomit kind of way. :D
  9. Savadrin

I find the idea annoying more than disturbing, because only the weak minded will flock to it in the end. It's no different than anything else done in history.

The real world gives exactly 0 ***** about your peace of mind, safe spaces, and feelings. That's reality, and hiding from it doesn't ever work, lol.
    • Up x 2
  10. Mustarde

In all seriousness, I thought a major question that the mods (and shaql) had for Scr1n was that there was no evidence of a coordinated group of individuals isolating and specifically downvoting his posts as he claimed. I certainly don't know of any such group, or even efforts to create such a thing. The reality is no one cares enough to even bother with such a conspiracy.

The thing no one realizes (and can't even go back to prove because scr1n had deleted all of his old posts), was that a fair number of his comments were upvoted and even at the top of some threads over the last few months. He's not someone with entirely bad ideas. But he also stubbornly spams his posts, talks around other commenters and when he doesn't like the karma he's getting, starts deleting them, and manipulating reddit.

In the thread discussing moving the archer to the turret slot, many people were in favor of the OP's suggestion. This was supported by the popularity of the thread itself, the hundreds of comments, and the top comments belonging to those who articulated why they liked this idea. Scr1nrusher however goes in there, says that this would be bad game design, that nobody knows what they are talking about, and that the Archer itself needs to be buffed. He took a 4 bullet point suggestion and spammed it about 6 times in that thread in various comments, and while it was a popular thread that day, scr1nrusher probably accounted for 10% of the posts in it at one point. You may or may not agree with his message, but a LOT of people take issue with the fact that he was trying to ram that message down your throat, responding to almost every single commenter in that thread with the exact same thing. Predictably, it soaked up a lot of downvotes.

Not a conspiracy, just really bad internet posting.

It is not ok for vote brigading - in fact, it is strictly forbidden and entire subreddits have been removed for violating that policy. But when you say

my response is: NO. It is not ok to "shrug" off those votes by manipulating the reddit system and deleting and reposting the exact same comments. If you don't like the way reddit is organized as a forum, you don't have to participate. But if you are going to participate, those are the rules, plain and simple.
    • Up x 1
  11. Poppington

I was just commenting on "safe space" policy, not its relation to the game, or even this thread (I even said "don't confuse it with internet politics!") . The fact that you instantly took it as an assault on someone shows how toxic this has become.

[quote="DooDooBreff, post: 3346936, member: 173408" ] what is it that you do? how do you have time on a wednesday morning (its 11:30 am in FL. or business hours from coast to coast) to browse through sc1nrushers threads, make an evaluation, and post your conclusion all whilst being a at risk school teacher? i think the only thing at risk here is your credibility there, Mr. Kotter[/quote]

High school. Early lunch. I try not to work on my lunch and try to find the most mind-rotting thing I can do to pass the time and unwind. Forums in general fulfill those stipulations. I also go on youtube and watch over-editted gaming videos. It's a guilty pleasure.
  12. Poppington

It's more than just feelings and stuff. It's more about having some place to go and talk where you don't have anywhere else to go. It's not a big deal for many adults, but when you're a teenager the pressures that exist - which are usually small compared to adult - seem insurmountable. That isn't even counting the students in horrible situations, and just have nowhere to turn.

It's not about hiding either - it's more about coping, and more importantly, learning to cope. Weakness has nothing to do with being freshly 18, living on your own because your junkie parents up and left you with an 8 year old sister, while still having college aspirations. A sticker on my door, alongside a whole bunch of other stickers (that are often used by people to "show they are PC") may just be an invitation to sit and vent, which they need.

I have nothing to say about how it works for adults, and how silly or not it may be. But for teenagers who, by their very nature, are incomplete, it can make a world of difference.
  13. Savadrin

As with many things in life - this is a great concept. I'd even go so far as to say it's a necessary one in these circumstances, because you don't want to lose anyone where the tipping point is they felt like there was nowhere to go.

Also, as with many things in life, the core concept gets distorted and used in a way that has nothing to do with what the original plan was - because that's what we are as humans, it's what we do. We take nice things and ruin them.

Safe space for a drowning kid? Yes, absolutely.

Safe space for an entitled brat (of any age) who feels put upon by someone having an opposing view? Nah.
    • Up x 1
  14. DooDooBreff

High school. Early lunch. I try not to work on my lunch and try to find the most mind-rotting thing I can do to pass the time and unwind. Forums in general fulfill those stipulations. I also go on youtube and watch over-editted gaming videos. It's a guilty pleasure.[/quote]

fair enough, your pleasant response to my grabasstic BS forces me to apologize... like at risk kids, im also a product of my environment
  15. Poppington

Agreed.
  16. bLind db

ITT: a bunch of ******* who hate reddit ******** about being banned from reddit.
  17. Scr1nRusher

Another post proving the points in the OP.......

Exactly

No, talking to a mod that doesn't go around insulting people he doesn't like or has recently banned & joking with his buddy's about it....... is refreshing.

yep
    I do care actually.

You can't have a discussion or anything if its just 1 person talking to themselves.

So many things shady about this post.

1) I am not a troll

2) How am I asking for "attention"?

3) This thread isn't toxic........ its a Detox
  18. Scr1nRusher

The OP is being proved more and more correct as each day passes.
  19. Scr1nRusher

I said that I have around 8 years of game design/balancing experience,which is true.

People get so hostile about it.
  20. Scr1nRusher

There is a game being played, and as I know from history.............

Certain people don't like me talking.