The new MCG is out and it needs to be addressed.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Facta, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Lucidius134

Reason stated was that you cannot shoot over cover with an underslung weapon system.
  2. Pacifist

I use the "Live" MCG as my main, I'd almost say only, infantry gun. With some 4000 MCG kills vs my next most used gun at 242.
    https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428010618038265713/weapons

If you really feel the need for a buff do 1 of 2 things.
    A slight increase to ROF while retaining the trademark spin up without changing anything else. Meaning COF will also bloom faster.

Or

A slight increase of damage 5-10% against thin skinned armor Maxes/EFS/Harrasers.

Also as everyone else has posted keep the "Live" reticule.
  3. Takoita

While I don't think the MCG on the test server is a 'nerf' as some people put it in anything but the new reticule - effectiveness at range is probably less than it was, but it's supposed to be a tool for room clearing, so who cares - I don't think FART is the right way to go about it.

I wasn't able to tell for certain if the attachement raised only maximum ROF or it spooled up quicker with it too, but giving away extended magazine for that seemed... wasteful. I'd like to see something different, if at all possible.

The COF bloom changes seem very nice though. I have yet to test it in live situation, but I feel those alone would help the weapon a lot.
  4. LibertyRevolution

Go onto PTS.. equip the FART.. shoot targets at the end of the range (50m).. you be lucky if you kill 2 before you are empty.
    The new COF bloom is what the old COF bloom was at after 100 rounds..
    Glad I only payed 99SC for it.
  5. Doomzzg

uh huh, whatever you say 4factioner
  6. R6xSNAKExBOXESx

I will put here what I put on another thread on this topic of the almighty chaingun "Why don't they just make it so the ROF attachment creates the whole max bloom thing (also have it on the barrel) and perhaps a clip change when you have it on but that one idk about. I do know the attachment making the bloom like it is forcefully right now on the PTS an option would be amazing. You can change the role of the weapon between 2 options depending on what you want. :D" MLG PRO COPYING AND PASTING
  7. Goretzu

Unless they change things more it seems like a lot of effort for the MCG for not a great deal of change.
  8. Klondor

Then so be it, let that be one of it's quarks! i've also even given plenty of images that utilize minigun weapon systems in different ways, like the Star Wars Battlefront "Clone Commander":
    [IMG]
    A little modification to the stance, with an added grip similar to the ML-7 Rocket launcher and BOOM you have a completely new T7 MCG. Hell, this would be an amazing idea for SOE to try and implement.

But for a traditional Minigun, i personally wouldn't care if i couldn't fire over the numerous chest high walls we see everywehre, i barely ever use the MCG from anywhere that's not a doorway, staircase, or long hallway.

This is how the MCG should truly look when firing, this is as close of an example i could get that's related to any kind of in-game minigun other than Team Fortress 2.
    • Up x 2
  9. Klondor

I've tested the new MCG's CoF during a scrim a few nights ago. I chose to run without the new attachment and went with extended mags. The NC mounted a massive push from their spawn point. The big push arrived in full force and i just let loose on the door from my position on a nearby staircase inside the control point room. As the first guy pushed through he was torn down quickly and after him came the rest. Anyone who wasnt a MAX or didnt have their NMG/resist active was mowed down easily, i dont know the exact number of kills i got from it but i know it was well over 10 within the entirety of my 200 round hose-down, there was a large pile of people at the door by the time i had to reload, and i have almost no help during this, i only had an engineer and a light assault helping me, and they didnt even know what was going on for the first couple of seconds.

It was really one of those moments were it's supposed niche came to fruition, tunnel visioned enemies all funneling through a narrow choke point, while sitting on a defensible position.
  10. Undeadfred

But you can get large amount of kills vs bad players with any weapon.
  11. Klondor

As true as this is, i've had moments against skilled players in similar situations on the live server, few and far between as they are.
    I've also tried many different tactics with the attachment to see if it is really worth it, i've used the Conq tactic, smoke [provided by allied LA and UBGLs], and flanks, i always run out of ammo before i can make a large impact on my intended target, with extended mags there is the old problem of spinning up too slow and alerting my target that i'm hitting them, which they just turn back around and kill me before i reach my 800rpm, or once i kill him i've spent so much time on him that his allies have turned to kill me before i can switch targets.
  12. Undeadfred

Well I agree that extended mags will still probably be the way to go. Mostly bc of the fact you have to dump 1/4 of your mag b4 you benefit from the MCG if you grab the FART. You're not left with much battlefield presence once you get up to your full RoF, and it's not like burst firing is an option.

It's this reason why The two attachments needs to be on separate spots, or one needs to be build into the gun (either larger mag, or higher rof).
    • Up x 2
  13. NaySayer

It's ridiculous that we have to cert into our faction trait.
    • Up x 6
  14. WarmasterRaptor

What is this faction trait you speak of?

But does it feel better doing that with the MCG +extndmag than doing the same with the Carv-S +extndmag?
    I'll go on the test server to try it myself, but I'd like to know from someone who might have played with both.
  15. NaySayer

High rof
  16. Maljas23

Hold on. The FART also decreases the spin up time. You can test it on the test server.
  17. Undeadfred

It decreases the Spin up time bc your RoF is faster.
    You are still firing as many rounds before the Spin up sequence is complete, you're just hitting that mark faster.
    • Up x 2
  18. WarmasterRaptor

We really have that? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nha seriously, I know what is supposed to be our faction trait. It's just nice that we're beginning to see the tip of it finally...
  19. DevDevBooday

Another idea that has been passed around.

Remove ADS entirely
    Improve hipfire accuracy
    increase ROF to 1000
    Decrease damage to 125 per round.
    Turn right click into barrell spin up at 0.5 movement speed.
    Profit.
    • Up x 1
  20. WarmasterRaptor

After testing it on the PTS, the MCG feels better, though I couldn't try it a lot due to the lack of online players on the test server.
    Ext.Mag and the humorously nicknamed FART (nice one devs) makes now two interesting choices.

Though, it's VERY weird now that only the TR has to cert into their faction trait... it might be not 'very' expensive, but still, it's pretty much the thing that redefines the whole gun as a straight upgrade in functionality.

Also, they really should put some incentives on the PTS for people to get there and test stuff...